Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What car would you like to see re-introduced to the market?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Citroen BX 19 GTi

12390704273_3b668df339_b.jpg

or

Citroen 2CV (my first car)

3e46da63-5d7d-4981-a10a-b9172c48763f.jpg

Wibbs wrote: »
    Problem being with all the safety requirements and other legislation and people being used to more gadgets and stuff in cars the revamped versions of those would struggle to look or feel anything like the originals.

Very true. Still, Fiat seem to have done a good job there with the Bambino, which although not a replica of the original has a very pleasingly retro interior. The did a much better job than the Beetle or Mini in this regard, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

storker wrote: »
    Very true. Still, Fiat seem to have done a good job there with the Bambino, which although not a replica of the original has a very pleasingly retro interior. The did a much better job than the Beetle or Mini in this regard, IMO.

Was more true to the original than the other two I think but modernised into a chic little car. The beetle was never more than half arsed.
    Pity their attempts to make a 500 family are so crap- 500L thingy is an awful idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Bricriu

I'd like a robust version of some cars to be available - same engine, gearbox, etc. as the shiny version, but the body to be armoured, especially sides, front and back, and bumpers, so that the slightest tip or bump when reversing, or stone flung from the road by the wheels, wouldn't entail a very expensive trip to the panel-beater.
    The purchaser would then have a choice between the shiny version and a robust version.
    I think modern cars are made delicately so as to be money-spinners for the manufacturers in terms of new parts. Bodies and paintwork are damaged by the slightest tip.
    Modern bumpers are useless and crumple easily and cost a small fortune to replace or panel-beat.
    Yes, I know it's said that bumpers are built to take the shock of impact so it doesn't transfer to the occupants of the car, but surely they could be more robust for small impacts.
    Also modern wheels are not suitable for bad roads, and we have a lot of those, especially in rural areas.
    I'm thinking of the old Land-Rovers, Morris Minors, etc. Their bodies were robust and well made, whatever about the engines not being very reliable, especially in the Land-Rover.
    Give us a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

They were a great yoke. Lovely proportions and just about the perfect size. neither too big nor too small.

Handy enough on diesel too. Still 2 of them on the go locally to me both owned for years and well cared for.

We had a short wheel base non turbo.

Did the job, lots of character Vs most things I've experienced since. Miss it.

At the time we bought (1998) it was very competitively priced option Vs the Pajero, Trooper and pick up* options.

We had been doing the ruin the family car doing too much farm stuff thing before that.

Part of the reason the Daihatsu was cheaper was thar the Trooper and Pajero were typically nicer to drive.

But we just wanted it for dirty farm related stuff.

As my father said at the time - we weren't going to be up and down to Dublin in it.

*Hilux at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bricriu wrote: »
    I'd like a robust version of some cars to be available - same engine, gearbox, etc. as the shiny version, but the body to be armoured, especially sides, front and back, and bumpers, so that the slightest tip or bump when reversing, or stone flung from the road by the wheels, wouldn't entail a very expensive trip to the panel-beater.
    The purchaser would then have a choice between the shiny version and a robust version.
    I think modern cars are made delicately so as to be money-spinners for the manufacturers in terms of new parts. Bodies and paintwork are damaged by the slightest tip.
    Modern bumpers are useless and crumple easily and cost a small fortune to replace or panel-beat.
    Yes, I know it's said that bumpers are built to take the shock of impact so it doesn't transfer to the occupants of the car, but surely they could be more robust for small impacts.
    Also modern wheels are not suitable for bad roads, and we have a lot of those, especially in rural areas.
    I'm thinking of the old Land-Rovers, Morris Minors, etc. Their bodies were robust and well made, whatever about the engines not being very reliable, especially in the Land-Rover.
    Give us a choice.

You've literally answered it there yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Matra Bagheera. Great bang for the buck.

5fedb3c63e8587994404fe44fd6ba88f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Their Tipo is a actually a pretty decent car for the price. I’m sure they could make a modern Ritmo out of it

It is actually. From what I can remember the old 2 litre Tipo was an absolute hoot. I know someone that managed to drive one up on to one of those old steel cables that used to support telephone poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

love to see the 2CV, Morris Minor, VW Eos and the proper VW Bus not camper

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

khalessi wrote: »
    love to see the 2CV,
    While it doesn't look like one the new leccy Citroen Ami is pretty close to the concept of the 2CV.

citroen_ami_2020_009.jpg

Wacky and as French as only Citroen can be, cheap as chips to buy and run and as simple as a rock. Both doors are the same part number as are the back and front panels. No carpet or any such fripperies, you could valet the interior with a mop and bucket. Even the windows are simple and exactly like the 2CV. Loads of colour options. And stickers. Who doesn't love stickers.

raw-accept?hash=56939a90e14e29f6af99b34b945253d0605f5339

OK top whack is 50 kph and range is entirely aimed at urban driving, but for 6000 of your finest yoyos you can't really go wrong. I doubt it could cross a ploughed field carrying a basket of eggs without breaking them, but still.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

While it doesn't look like one the new leccy Citroen Ami is pretty close to the concept of the 2CV.

Go into your kitchen, turn on the tap, and wash your mouth out with soap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

storker wrote: »
    Go into your kitchen, turn on the tap, and wash your mouth out with soap.
    It is though S. Both the 2CV and Fiat 500 were built to be cheap no frills cars to get the masses off bicycles and scooters. This Ami is designed to appeal to urban dwellers and the tiktok generation(in France you can drive one at 14) who aren't particularly into cars and get them invested. It even uses your smart phone for things like ECU data and satnav. Very clever. It should help the uptake of electric cars too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Skoda Yeti. One of the most complete cars out there especially in 4WD and it had a bit of personality that is totally missing with the Karoq.

Ford Ka (i.e. 1996 - 2008). Brilliant small car that made up for basic trim and poor engine choices by being great to drive and practically indestructible. Has Ford not ever wondered why the current model doesn't sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

1992-1998 Toyota Carina E 1.9 turbo diesel with a hitch.

Very comfortable, smooth to drive, miser on diesel. Rattly old mechanical diesel engine and slugish acceleration, but will pull all creation behind it and tolerate many years of abuse and neglect without complaint.

With steel wheels with missmatched hubcaps, the boot tied down with baling twine, it would really look the part pulling a cow box into the yard of any mart in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Wacky and as French as only Citroen can be, cheap as chips to buy and run and as simple as a rock. Both doors are the same part number as are the back and front panels. No carpet or any such fripperies, you could valet the interior with a mop and bucket. Even the windows are simple and exactly like the 2CV. Loads of colour options. And stickers. Who doesn't love stickers.

OK top whack is 50 kph and range is entirely aimed at urban driving, but for 6000 of your finest yoyos you can't really go wrong. I doubt it could cross a ploughed field carrying a basket of eggs without breaking them, but still.

My first thought also seeing these was of the 2CV, would love to get my hands on one, could be a cult classic in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Mk1 Renault Laguna and Renault Megane and Megane Classic. All great cars in there time, stylish unlike a boring VW and good to drive too. Although I will admit the Passat from 97 to 2003 and next one with the big chrome grill were good looking cars and the MK5 Golf was good looking but all other VWs are just so dull and boring.

MK 1 Fiat Bravo and Brava.

Citroen CX, XM and Xantia.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭HBC08

khalessi wrote: »
    love to see the 2CV, Morris Minor, VW Eos and the proper VW Bus not camper

If there was a newer version of the VW Eos I would have it.Im looking to get a hard top convertible in the new year and there isn't much choice. There seemed to be more choice 10 years ago with the Eos,Megane,Peugeot etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Multipla

Carina E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Saab 900 with modern Tech.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Casati wrote: »
    Skoda Yeti. One of the most complete cars out there especially in 4WD and it had a bit of personality that is totally missing with the Karoq.

Ford Ka (i.e. 1996 - 2008). Brilliant small car that made up for basic trim and poor engine choices by being great to drive and practically indestructible. Has Ford not ever wondered why the current model doesn't sell?

..apart from the rust

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Wish they kept the Mitsubishi Evo series going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

..apart from the rust

I only remember the metal bit on the pop out window rusting, but having said the one in our house was gone before it was 6 years old

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Honda HRV. There were a group of boards posters who continually recommended these yokes to anybody looking for a 7 seater- personally I could never see the attraction of having somebody wedged into the middle front seat beside the driver Berlingo style but they had a following

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

An all new Ford Capri or Sierra would be nice

Ms

MK 1 Ford Focus with better dash materials soft touch all around and a touch screen where the radio was but still physical controls for the heating oh and DRLs as well. Also as a hybrid and electric car. Who knows maybe Ford will do it in the future.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Casati wrote: »
    I only remember the metal bit on the pop out window rusting, but having said the one in our house was gone before it was 6 years old

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Honda HRV. There were a group of boards posters who continually recommended these yokes to anybody looking for a 7 seater- personally I could never see the attraction of having somebody wedged into the middle front seat beside the driver Berlingo style but they had a following

That's not the HRV that's the FRV you are thinking off. Great car , classy and very clever for it's time.

I agree Honda should bring it back. The HRV is smaller and certainly not a 7 seater or even a 6 seater.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    MK 1 Ford Focus
    Fantastic car that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Renault 5 or 19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Possibly mentioned - Renault Fuego

Sporty looks

Ms

Fantastic car that was.

Yep it sure was.
    I wish Ford would do something radical and brave like that again.
    Darc19 wrote: »
    Possibly mentioned - Renault Fuego

Sporty looks

Nope not mentioned yet. Great pick.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Ikozma wrote: »
    Renault 5 or 19

The Renault 5 modernised as an electric car would be great alright but the on 19 I prefer the Megane. Just never liked the square dash in the 19 although the revamped model did look better inside and out. My Uncle had one for a few years before his Megane Classic.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Not usually a fan of EVs, but there's one I absolutely love the idea of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

MK 1 Ford Focus with better dash materials soft touch all around and a touch screen where the radio was but still physical controls for the heating oh and DRLs as well. Also as a hybrid and electric car. Who knows maybe Ford will do it in the future.

Regrettably, you're probably crediting Ford with more imagination than they posess.

When you see them slap the Mustang brand onto an ugly electric SUV you know they're bang out of ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

galwaytt wrote: »
    Saab 900 with modern Tech.

+1 on that, with EV.

Ms

Regrettably, you're probably crediting Ford with more imagination than they posess.

When you see them slap the Mustang brand onto an ugly electric SUV you know they're bang out of ideas

Ye your probably right. Like a lot of manufacturers there best days are probably behind them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

The Renault 5 modernised as an electric car would be great alright but the on 19 I prefer the Megane. Just never liked the square dash in the 19 although the revamped model did look better inside and out. My Uncle had one for a few years before his Megane Classic.

The squared off look cold be very retro, Id suggest a Datsun Cherry, but in EV, havent even started on the xmas drink, be lunchtime. Really many older cars, with modern tech would look great, styling not rehashed much or at all, just the tech, that Matra, looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

E38 BMW. Only thing you could improve is the infotainment, new head unit job done, oh, and a plastic fuel tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Was always fond of the Honda Accord and was disappointed when they discontinued it

2_ffa05b4c-f93c-4bbd-a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Was always fond of the Honda Accord and was disappointed when they discontinued it

2_ffa05b4c-f93c-4bbd-a.jpg

I agree totally, I blame Honda UK for that decision, they wanted to have only UK built models in Europe and hated the fact that the Accord was imported from Japan and decided to can it.
    Now look at the Honda EU lineup, I can't think of one model they make/made that would interest me.
    Civic Type R is just too focused for me.
    Luckily I have a Mk8 Type S Tourer so that will do for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Mercedes W108/9

Mercedes_Benz_300_SEL_6.3_W109_Kaufberatung_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

peasant wrote: »
    continuing with Renault

the electric R4 (or something similar ..simple,

Wow you were onto something there 👏

Renault to revive bestselling cars with electric makeover - sources
    By Reuters Staff

PARIS (Reuters) - Renault’s new boss Luca de Meo will revive some best-selling models from the 1960s to 90s era as electric cars under a turnaround plan aimed at improving sales and repositioning the struggling automaker, two sources familiar with the matter said.

De Meo is due to unveil his strategy update on Jan. 14, which is expected to focus on the product ranges the company will bet on - including a nod to Renault’s past.

The loss-making French firm has already announced 2 billion euros in cost savings and job cuts in its bid to improve margins and boost the group’s performance in an auto market hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic and under pressure to produce cleaner vehicles.

De Meo, who has said he wanted to lean on the brand’s French roots, will unveil an electric version of the now-phased-out small 4L cars introduced in the early 1960s, the two sources said.

There will also be a revived, electric version of another popular 1970s and 1980s model, based on the R5 or its successor the “Super Cinq”, the sources added.

Renault declined to comment.

“Luca de Meo is very focused on the products, and his strategy plan will be too,” one of the sources said.

Among other Renault brands, the group will also present three new electric models for the Alpine sportscar label, the sources added.

One of Renault’s challenges will be to create distinct identities for each of the brands, which also include Dacia and Lada.

The company has already flagged that it wants to focus on a smaller number of ranges and hone in on profitable products, as well as potentially exiting some markets, reversing the global push based on volumes under former boss Carlos Ghosn.

Sources had previously told Reuters that well-known but ailing models like the Espace minivans could be among those that are now phased out.

Reporting by Gilles Guillaume, Writing by Sarah White; Editing by Kirsten Donovan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Rs500 cosworth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Weirdly I like the new Mustang thingy- commercially they are right to milk their “premium” brand/badge - the German big three have after all made their fortunes doing this- there is a lot of value to be exploited from the Mustang badge so Ford are dead right to do so.
    Got a great review in Autocar, but is £57k list price in England. Making it over €60k here which is E Class territory so v remains rubbish be seen where it’ll fit. Guess they’re going after Tesla etc here at this price point

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Saab Sonett III, I have been obsessed for years. In a similar vein style-wise Datsun 240z

Ms

Citroen AX. I think it could be a perfect small electric car for Citroen.
    One on my cousins had an original one and I still remember that drive up the M1 and he saying it's his own little Ferrari lol it was that loud practically screaming the poor thing was.
    Long time since he had that now. Last time I seen him and his wife they had a Citroen C5.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The old 3 door Ford Sierra (cosworth preferably) I remember my cousins in London had the old 3 door for years and I said if they ever wanted to get rid I would buy it, great until my aunt wrote it off coming out on new Ross one evening.

Opel Manta

Escort XR3i

Mazda 323f (with the pop up lights)

Nissan Patrol

Ford rs200

Mitsubishi Galant

There’s an app/games called top drives that’s like top trumps for cars and they have the majority of all the makes of cars and old models on there (along with some of the more out there ones, donkervoot, de tomaso, Ruf etc) and my god it’s like car porn going through some of the old makes and models there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Limbo123 wrote: »
    This!

Had that car back in "aw feck". Beautiful, beautiful car. Never the same since a motorcyclist jumped the lights and hit me head on.

Sold it when we got married :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Citroen AX. I think it could be a perfect small electric car for Citroen.
    One on my cousins had an original one and I still remember that drive up the M1 and he saying it's his own little Ferrari lol it was that loud practically screaming the poor thing was.
    Long time since he had that now. Last time I seen him and his wife they had a Citroen C5.

They have an even smaller lighter yoke called the Ami just out. More of a Renault Twizzy rival. Doubt it’s in Ireland yet if ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Brand new MK2 Escort if you're feeling flush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Brand new MK2 Escort if you're feeling flush

I was looking on that site last week after coming across it over on the classics thread. I would certainly love to treat myself to a fresh Mk1 someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 DroidJoi

RX7 FD3S

Skyline R34

I didn't bother with the "manufacturers" name as the cars had a unique identity and a class apart from the normal models by said manufacturers.

I can't post links. Hopefully someone else can.

RIP to the above. Some excellent memories.

Advertisement