Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTdna Y test

Options
  • 04-12-2020 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Looking for some help regarding the attached image of my FTdna Y test, could anyone tell me my possible relationship to CKD?

Thanks.

Mod snip image

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hey

Apologies for snipping your post but it's not fair to post DNA matches names and details on a public forum.

Your best bet is to contact him and compare your family trees.

FTDNA's TIP guide will give you an idea of how long ago you might have been linked.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

Sorry for breaking the rules, if I redact the name can I repost? I have contacted the person but he didn't know what our relationship was.

I'm "guessing " that's a no on redacting, and I would compare our family trees if I had a family tree.

Thank you for your help.

Sorry, I was offline last night.

You are welcome to post the level of connection, e.g. number of Y markers and the haplogroup, just not his name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

And definitely start working on a family tree using traditional methods. You won't get far with DNA matches otherwise.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    And definitely start working on a family tree using traditional methods. You won't get far with DNA matches otherwise.

Traditional methods aren't an option, I only have DNA to go on, but thanks for your suggestion, so if anyone could explain any part of the attached match, I'd be very grateful.

If you are an adoptee, the more broad-range autosomal DNA test will be more useful.

The TIP report - click on that button - gives you an indicator of how recent an ancestor you share with this other person. You've done a low marker test than the other person, so you're not going to get much out of this, unfortunately.

Diane Southard's book or Blaine Bettinger's are good places to start your reading.

I also recommend Robert Estes's blog.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you very much for the reading suggestions, I have taken an autosomal DNA test, I have a better understanding on how that works but the Y test is very confusing.

Advertisement