Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Gameplan hasn't really shifted much.

Stander last week. Acres of space and he made a beeline for the nearest red Jersey. Ireland in a nutshell.

Like there is a 10m gap to the left of TF and half the Irish side are in that area. So he had plenty of support. This seems to be a mindset fixed into the minds of players.

It was from a kick return; Sexton and Keenan are only players behind him. All the other players are in front of him, so in what way is that support?

We use CJ for kick return for a reason. He sat Faletau down on this phase. Sexton even seems to be directing him for where to go.

For all those reasons, I think you're being overly harsh on CJ here. If the example was from phase play, I could understand it a bit more, but this seems like a poor example to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

aloooof wrote: »
    It was from a kick return; Sexton and Keenan are only players behind him. All the other players are in front of him, so in what way is that support?

We use CJ for kick return for a reason. He sat Faletau down on this phase. Sexton even seems to be directing him for where to go.

For all those reasons, I think you're being overly harsh on CJ here. If the example was from phase play, I could understand it a bit more, but this seems like a poor example to me.

There is 8 Irish players in shot. By the time Faletau hits the ground there is 4 irish players within 1-2m all behind him and in a position to latch or clear out a ruck. Thats more then enough support to attack the space and not the man IMO.

The mindset in the team is set to seek contact. The stats on runs so far (322) for a gain of 900m (France are 191 for 858m) backs that up.

In that particular play stander did well, he had ample support. But the default setting for players is killing us in an attacking sense

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    There is 8 Irish players in shot. By the time Faletau hits the ground there is 4 irish players within 1-2m all behind him and in a position to latch or clear out a ruck. Thats more then enough support to attack the space and not the man IMO.

The mindset in the team is set to seek contact. The stats on runs so far (322) for a gain of 900m (France are 191 for 858m) backs that up.

In that particular play stander did well, he had ample support. But the default setting for players is killing us in an attacking sense

That may well be true but I don't think Stander's kick return there is a good example of it.

And 8 players in shot isn't support if 6 of them are ahead of the ball. If the players are only behind him by the time Faletau hits the ground, they're too late to have been considered support, imo. By then he has Tipuric hanging off him, and players are still retreating.

If it's the default setting then an example in general phase play would be far better than on kick-return, imo, when the retreating players are facing the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

stephen_n wrote: »
    When Keenan was running straight back during the AI’s and end of last years six nations. He was getting criticized for losing his support and getting turned over. He is now choosing a point of contact where there is support. Really is a case of you are screwed if you do and screwed if you don’t.

Apples & oranges.

Wasn't me.

He wasn't tying in his defender and/or was eating up the winger's space but sure best not to say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

wittycynic wrote: »
    Of course people watched the clip. They've just come to a different conclusion about whether he got the most out the situation. Most people think he didn't do enough, and that's right i think.

Larmour got criticised at 15 for Ireland for not being solid enough because he wasn't solid enough. He just made too many defensive errors to be a reliable international 15. Keenan has many excellent qualities as a player but he's not particularly pacey and you'd ideally like more of an attacking threat from full back.

What is Keenan not doing in attack that he should do? I'd bet hes faster than Larmour over 100m, just Larmour has better acceleration. His up and under game is good. He often beats the first man and makes good yards on kick returns. His link up play is much better than Larmour. Hes also our top try scorer since his debut. What's he not doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

You bet he’s quicker over 100m, his link up play is better. Pure speculation, He has never scored any of the spectacular tries and never will. If you want us to break defences you need speed of the mark, aks Kolbe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

TRC10 wrote: »
    What is Keenan not doing in attack that he should do? I'd bet hes faster than Larmour over 100m, just Larmour has better acceleration. His up and under game is good. He often beats the first man and makes good yards on kick returns. His link up play is much better than Larmour. Hes also our top try scorer since his debut. What's he not doing?

Speed over 100m is completely irrelevant. The only connection a 100m time should have with rugby is 100m happens to be the max length a pitch can be from try line to tryline.
    For the most part 100m time is irrelevant and its all about 10m/40m times as they are far more relevant to the game. Its all about the acceleration and getting up to speed in 10 metres or 40metres ie scoring off plays/phases 10/20/30metres from the opposition try line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭ersatz

Overall yesterday did show a lot of improvement in forward play which has been poor now for a couple of years, maybe that's POC or maybe it's payoff for stuff going on for longer but it's very welcome. The bluntness in attack is the next challenge for the coaches and the team. There was definitely a head space thing yesterday that expressed itself as a lack of ambition or aggression in attack, especially on turnover ball. One example here were JGP fields a French box kick and he and Lowe do their thing up the sideline. What's interesting is that Henshaw and (I think) Kelleher are really well positioned to support the break but don't act with the required urgency to get onto GP's shoulder for an inside pass or any potential offload when he's tackled. He looks around for someone but there's noone there. That's a head thing that rarely happens with NZ or France or even Italy. They make the most of any break.

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1361069081730961408

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I can only assume Henshaw is carrying some injury there? Otherwise his slow jogging up the sideline is criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ersatz wrote: »
    Overall yesterday did show a lot of improvement in forward play which has been poor now for a couple of years, maybe that's POC or maybe it's payoff for stuff going on for longer but it's very welcome. The bluntness in attack is the next challenge for the coaches and the team. There was definitely a head space thing yesterday that expressed itself as a lack of ambition or aggression in attack, especially on turnover ball. One example here were JGP fields a French box kick and he and Lowe do their thing up the sideline. What's interesting is that Henshaw and (I think) Kelleher are really well positioned to support the break but don't act with the required urgency to get onto GP's shoulder for an inside pass or any potential offload when he's tackled. He looks around for someone but there's noone there. That's a head thing that rarely happens with NZ or France or even Italy. They make the most of any break.

It doesn't show it in that clip but am I the only one who thinks it was poor from JGP in the end after some good work. He doesn't fight to get back in field and set up a ruck keeping the ball alive. In the end he attacks the French outside shoulder and gets pushed into touch easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Link up play being better is questionable. He butchered a pass to Ringrose in this very game (Herring ended up knocking on) which would've lead to a huge overlap, and also carried instead of passing in a similar situation v Wales. He's safer under the high ball, but if either Jacob or Larmour develop that part of their games then Hugo's losing out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

its_phil wrote: »
    It doesn't show it in that clip but am I the only one who thinks it was poor from JGP in the end after some good work. He doesn't fight to get back in field and set up a ruck keeping the ball alive. In the end he attacks the French outside shoulder and gets pushed into touch easily.

I actually think his first instinct was to kick and he fought that instinct because of time of the game etc then after that he was just trying to retain possession.

Real shame he didn’t stay in play. A serious shift for any 9 to still be on the pitch that late I guess (unless they’re superhuman like Dupont)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I think the support was pretty shocking, a bit of creativity and no one responded. JGP looked inside expecting someone to be available for a pass, with no one there he was stuck, if he fought infield probably would have given away a penalty for holding.
    Stander should have reacted better to the break as should the 2 players who were back(Henshaw and Keenan?).
    To be honest the fact we were chasing the game and no urgency in that attack kind of sums up the performance

In fairness to him it looks like he stays wide to create some space on the inside, he had just run past 2 or 3 Irish players, not unreasonable for him to expect one or two of them to be available.

VANG1 wrote: »
    You bet he’s quicker over 100m, his link up play is better. Pure speculation, He has never scored any of the spectacular tries and never will. If you want us to break defences you need speed of the mark, aks Kolbe.

Spectacular tries are still only worth 5 points

It's not speculation because I've seen every senior game of rugby they've both played. Keenan is in no way slow, less explosive yes, not slow.

• Advertisement

Link up play being better is questionable. He butchered a pass to Ringrose in this very game (Herring ended up knocking on) which would've lead to a huge overlap, and also carried instead of passing in a similar situation v Wales. He's safer under the high ball, but if either Jacob or Larmour develop that part of their games then Hugo's losing out

I'd argue high balls aren't Stockdale's problem. It's those tricky bouncing balls that he has never been able to deal with. He's actually ok in the air, but definitely only ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

If Stockdale is fit before the end of the 6 nations, does he get called up...is he on the bench..or does he go straight back into the side in front of Lowe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

If Stockdale is fit before the end of the 6 nations, does he get called up...is he on the bench..or does he go straight back into the side in front of Lowe?

Straight back in.

Straight back in.

Stockdale is just as much of a defensive liability as Lowe. I think both of them are in big trouble selection wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stockdale is just as much of a defensive liability as Lowe. I think both of them are in big trouble selection wise.

On the hand people complain about our backline having no attacking threat, and yet on the other hand some people want to drop our big attacking threats. Stockdale is the joint 7th highest try scorer in Irish history and he is 24. We need players like him and Lowe if we want to be able to breakdown modern defences.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    On the hand people complain about our backline having no attacking threat, and yet on the other hand some people want to drop our big attacking threats. Stockdale is the joint 7th highest try scorer in Irish history and he is 24. We need players like him and Lowe if we want to be able to breakdown modern defences.

Stockdales try scoring rate since 2018 has been pretty poor. His attacking game nowhere near compensates for his defensive ineptitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stockdales try scoring rate since 2018 has been pretty poor. His attacking game nowhere near compensates for his defensive ineptitude.

Pretty sure he scored a few in the Autumn from FB when he also made more metres and clean breaks and beat more defenders than anyone else in the squad. But hey ho.

Did I read that we are the lowest try scorers in the 6Ns after the first two rounds, someone else can confirm...we DESPERATELY need someone of Stockdale's attacking prowess back ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

The issue with Farrell being the Ireland coach straight after Schmist isn't that he isn't good enough to be an international coach, is that he was too involved in the previous regime. Continuity is great, but only in the circumstances where the previous regime was on a high when it ended. Ireland had regressed badly in Schmidts final year, essentially because of our inability to adapt to a more flowing offloading game. Teams had figured us out and how to defend against us. Farrell hasn't changed enough in that regard. Some tweaks here and there but the plan revolves mainly around the scrum half shipping it to the forwards for heavy one up carries for 8 or 9 phases hoping that a chink appears in the opposition defence. When that inevitably doesn't happen either the 9 or the 10 hoof it up and hope it comes down with snow on it. That allied to inaccuracy at the breakdown and some galling defensive mistakes we have had 2 full years now of regression starting at 6 nations 2019.

Teams fan out against us and put heavy forwards 1 or 2 players out from the rucks to smash our heavy carries. Why we don't start a pick a go style to tie those defenders in closer to the ruck is beyond me. There has to be something gained by fast pick and go over the ruck and around the fringes. Keeping the ball off the ground in attack needs to be developed too. Big carries followed by a slowish ruck is giving the defence time to organise. We need to offload more. Also, I can't remember the last time I saw an Irish player play a grubber or a chip through. The variety in attack isn't there.

The most galling statistic of all for me is that after 2 games that's Antoine Dupont has 4 assists. Granted France have played Italy but he's creating everything good that France do. Our scrumhalves are kicking the leather off the ball. In some ways Craig Casey has saved from a rollicking on this forum this weekend. Had he been brought on he would have been under instruction to play the same way as Murray is. Box kick after box kick. JGP is a little snappier delivering it from the ruck but his passing accuracy is poor. He offers little in the way of a sniping threat either.

We're missing players and depth in
    the key positions of 2, 9 , & 10 in particular. But a better gameplan would go a long way to allowing us win with some average players in the team.

It has been mentioned here before that Cooney isn't picked due to an attitude issue. Maybe he isn't too compliant with the idea of stifling the team's attacking play with relentless box kicking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

Doubt it. Its unlikely he'll be fit for Scotland given he's not even available to play for ulster this weekend. That gives him one game against Ospreys before he'd join the squad?

His form pre injury wasn't steller either so he's no automatic inclusion and if he's not fit to bench against Scotland he won't be involved against England. Farrell isn't going to make any major change for that.

bilston wrote: »
    Pretty sure he scored a few in the Autumn from FB when he also made more metres and clean breaks and beat more defenders than anyone else in the squad. But hey ho.

Did I read that we are the lowest try scorers in the 6Ns after the first two rounds, someone else can confirm...we DESPERATELY need someone of Stockdale's attacking prowess back ASAP.

He had some brilliant passes as well, iirc, which would be as much a reason as any to pick him at FB. I think Keenan has probably solidified his place in the team, but a back 3 of Lowe, Larmour and Stockdale at FB versus Italy... it'd be entertaining at least!

It's a shame Conway is out. I think he brings a nice mix of defensive solidity coupled with him being well capable of some brilliant attacking play as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

aloooof wrote: »
    He had some brilliant passes as well, iirc, which would be as much a reason as any to pick him at FB. I think Keenan has probably solidified his place in the team, but a back 3 of Lowe, Larmour and Stockdale at FB versus Italy... it'd be entertaining at least!

It's a shame Conway is out. I think he brings a nice mix of defensive solidity coupled with him being well capable of some brilliant attacking play as well.

Two of those can't deal with a high kick and another two are weak defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Walesonline pick Carty as an outsider for the lions,,,,,,

Outsider

Jack Carty

The fly-half’s game control for Connacht against the Dragons recently was on a different level, reproducing the form he showed in his side’s win over Leinster last month. How he’s not in the Ireland squad is perplexing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Against the Head was good tonight,

My two takeaways,

Lowe should be dropped, don’t see the point in slow wingers that can’t defend.

We shouldn’t kick away possession when we have numbers on the outside.

daphil wrote: »
    Two of those can't deal with a high kick and another two are weak defensively.

Oh absolutely, and don't think for a second it'll happen, but if I was a neutral that's the lineup I'd be hoping for. (You could also say, if you were an Italy fan, that's the lineup you'd be hoping for as well, mind...)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

gally74 wrote: »

Outsider

Jack Carty

The fly-half’s game control for Connacht against the Dragons recently was on a different level, reproducing the form he showed in his side’s win over Leinster last month. How he’s not in the Ireland squad is perplexing.

You've already touched on why he isn't there. And why he won't be with the Lions. The Leinster game was 7 weeks ago. He is apparently reproducing that form again having not been able to do so since. Against the Dragons. One of the worst sides in the league. He can't be relied upon to reproduce it consistently. It comes and goes. Against good teams and bad, it doesn't really matter. Recapturing for from less than 2 months ago is a bad thing. He shouldn't be losing it in that time in the first place.

Oh and Sky had Adam Byrne as a possible bolter 4 years ago.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Hate to say I was right but I was right. Fact is if Ross Byrne started yesterday we would have won, he has the confidence and the boot to play 10 for Ireland. I can not understand why we have so many imports starting for Ireland who are clearly sub par, I agree with franno when he said an import should be 25% better than home grown players, Gibson Park is not better than cooney or McGrath Burns is not better than Byrne or carty, Lowe has been found out defensively. If I was cooney or carty or Dave Kearney looking at that yesterday I’d be very p1ssed off, we are in real trouble here, we need to lose Farrell and the mediocre imports and get someone in who can bring on a new team for the WC as we have some great players coming through such as Keenan.
    As a side note, the world didn’t end with Sexton and Murray not playing therefore that should be the nod to put them into retirement
    Second footnote, why name Casey but don’t play him even though Gibson Park was at nothing, hardly a vote of confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hate to say I was right but I was right. Fact is if Ross Byrne started yesterday we would have won

How exactly is that a fact? Or has the definition of the word fact changed? Because I was of the impression that the above was at best an opinion and no more. It really is laughable that people can be just so unbelievably lacking in any form of self criticism or self awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I really don't understand how anyone could compare Byrne and Burns' respective performances in an Ireland shirt and come to the conclusion that Byrne is superior. Burns is better at every facet of the game bar goal kicking IMO.

gally74 wrote: »

Outsider

Jack Carty

As one of those guys who’s paid to have pints with fans on tour packages?

Ridiculous!

Hate to say I was right but I was right. Fact is if Ross Byrne started yesterday we would have won, he has the confidence and the boot to play 10 for Ireland.

I don't know if RB was solely responsible, I think not, but in that final passage of play where Ireland needed to get up the field to score a drop or force a penalty to win they went backwards about 20 metres before France turned them over. That was a moment for an out half with less than 40 minutes in his legs to show some bottle and make something happen. Sexton did it in Paris famously a few years ago, we've seen ROG do it, it's not easy but it's what test 9s and 10s are built for. RB faded badly right there, hung back, shovelled ball and went backwards. It was a poor team moment but if it was going to happen someone needed to step up.

And enough of this sh!te about imports, please. It's starting to get Trumpian around here.

As one of those guys who’s paid to have pints with fans on tour packages?

Ridiculous!

100% right, the welsh know their rugby that’s why they have 2 wins under their belt and we have none

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I really don't understand how anyone could compare Byrne and Burns' respective performances in an Ireland shirt and come to the conclusion that Byrne is superior. Burns is better at every facet of the game bar goal kicking IMO.

I don’t know what game you were watching but I saw burns take many wrong options and got knocked off the tackle several times, his kicking is atrocious

100% right, the welsh know their rugby that’s why they have 2 wins under their belt and we have none

Couldn't be 2 red cards no?

Nah, I didn't think so either

Couldn't be 2 red cards no?

Nah, I didn't think so either

Still have 2 wins

• Advertisement

Still have 2 wins

Great observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Whatever about Byrne and Burns, they both look a bit out of their depth. Maybe they need a run of games to get into some kind of flow. I don't think Burns should be the place kicker. He looks like he lacks confidence, imo. Byrne doesn't seem to understand attacking schemes and just shovels on the ball. I thought he would have done better in this regard.
    The option after Sexton doesn't look too promising, tbh Hopefully, both Byrne and Burns can adapt and become decent options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ersatz wrote: »

Two New Zealand lads playing on instinct and continuing to try and make something happen. A beautiful bit of play.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Two New Zealand lads playing on instinct and continuing to try and make something happen. A beautiful bit of play.

Both have been rightly exposed as villains from a defensive perspective.

A lad flinging a pass behind his back does not a summer make...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Give me that over some of the turgid stuff the other lads are playing. As was pointed out of this break, the tracking from other players was rubbish.

Also great to see Farrell talk of bringing back the big guns for Italy. Christ almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's fine, I don't disagree. But it was a lovely piece of instinctual attacking rugby. We might find other issues with their performance and still be able to appreciate the above clip on its own.

• Advertisement

https://www.the42.ie/sexton-murray-ireland-italy-5355516-Feb2021/

Seems like we could be in line for our worst 6N since the tournament began, with a bunch of problems left unresolved. If we only win one game surely Farrell can't survive that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Seems like we could be in line for our worst 6N since the tournament began, with a bunch of problems left unresolved. If we only win one game surely Farrell can't survive that?

He shouldn't but he will.

Anything other than a comprehensive win over Italy should set the alarm bells ringing. For me the alarm bells rang in November when he or the IRFU refused to use the games for development.

He's clearly indicating Sexton and Murray come back in, which leaves little room to blood guys in the next while. Falling into the exact same trap that damned us before.

It would drive you nuts. He'll get savaged as well for it. Its hilarious cause if he showed some balls people would back him.

Its doubly sickening when you know that the Italian halfbacks are 19 and 20 respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭joficeduns1

I'm not one for calling for Farrell's head at this stage but surely we use Italy as a chance to keep some (playing) momentum up for some players. Get Casey (ed. Not Cooney) on, swap the 10s, change our wings and give the lads some freedom to play the ball and string some scores together.

I can't see any benefit to playing Murray or Sexton against Italy, just for them go out and do what they've done almost their whole careers against Italy.

It's not a fling behind his back though, he knows Lowe is there, takes the defender out and passes. It's an offload. They may even have communicated the intention in that moment when they can see each other. It was one of only 3 or 4 line breaks and it is the kind of play that test teams with any ambition must be prepared to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Hence he'll name his strongest possible team to try to run in a win with a decent margin and take a little bit of pressure off.

Italy has come at a good time for him. We'll win in Rome and he'll get two weeks of column inches about all the green shoots of progress we saw against the Azzurri.

We could quite easily finish this tournament with only one win, but I sincerely doubt the IRFU have the fortitude to make the necessary call to replace him. Changing coaches mid-contract is expensive and they'll see it out, like Kidney, to avoid that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement