Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

i could see tests being played here, but way too early to tell if there's any chance of crowds being there at all, and if there will be crowds it will be limited capacity for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I can genuinely see the Tests happening here in July/August. There’s already a sell-out Test in Murrayfield vs Japan. A Test in Twickenham, one in Cardiff, and one in the Aviva. The revenue would be massive from the ticket sales and would be split with the South African union, which would bail them out. Most of the general population will be vaccinated by then and the economy will be fully open. It’s the answer.
    How likely are we that we would get full capacity crowds next summer and how likely would the unions here split the revenue enough with South Africans to cover not having a lions tour and all that accompanies the matches for the country itself.
    If games are possible with crowds then it'll be in South Africa or not happen at all.

How likely are we that we would get full capacity crowds next summer and how likely would the unions here split the revenue enough with South Africans to cover not having a lions tour and all that accompanies the matches for the country itself.
    If games are possible with crowds then it'll be in South Africa or not happen at all.

There's zero chance there will be games possible with crowds in South Africa, they're miles behind where even we are. They may not even START vaccinating until after the date the tests are scheduled.

If there's a situation (albeit unlikely) where crowds could be permitted to tests in Europe then I could see them postponing the tour in favour of test matches in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Why not?

We’re talking about 6/7 months’ time.

The UK is aiming to have 30m people vaccinated by summer.

What the UK government say and what they actually do are poles apart. Recent history bares testament to that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why not?

We’re talking about 6/7 months’ time.

The UK is aiming to have 30m people vaccinated by summer.

And? It might be a nice milestone, it's far from the finish though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is A tour of France been considered ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

I think the gate receipts for three sellout Tests in Dublin, London, and Cardiff could be enough to cover the South Africans and the Lions/Unions.

If it coincides with the reopening of things here, then they can probably charge what they want.

It’s important to bear in mind that in order for people to be allowed at matches they don’t need to be vaccinated; it’s just the vulnerable that need to be.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is A tour of France been considered?
    People are suggesting what it could look like but no chance it would happen.
    I think the gate receipts for three sellout Tests in Dublin, London, and Cardiff could be enough to cover the South Africans and the Lions/Unions.

If it coincides with the reopening of things here, then they can probably charge what they want.

It’s important to bear in mind that in order for people to be allowed at matches they don’t need to be vaccinated; it’s just the vulnerable that need to be.
    3 sell out tests is still only 200'000 odd tickets even at €80 a piece wouldnt get near what south africans would get from everything in terms of a normal tour.

If the three tests happen all over the British Isles then Dublin would prob miss out because of the Euro 20/21 games there in June

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If the three tests happen all over the British Isles then Dublin would prob miss out because of the Euro 20/21 games there in June

Croker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭boetstark

[

No way any springbok fans want tests being played in ire or UK. We have our tickets and we want to play in SA only.
    quote="Louis Friend;115778039"]I can genuinely see the Tests happening here in July/August. There’s already a sell-out Test in Murrayfield vs Japan. A Test in Twickenham, one in Cardiff, and one in the Aviva. The revenue would be massive from the ticket sales and would be split with the South African union, which would bail them out. Most of the general population will be vaccinated by then and the economy will be fully open. It’s the answer.[/quote]

Unfortunately what Sprinbok fans want won’t come into it because it’s South Africa and its response to Covid that’s the issue.

There wouldn’t be much price sensitivity for home Tests...210,000 seats x €200 is €42m (London, Cardiff & Dublin). With the TV and commercial revenue, there’d be more than enough to feed everyone.

It’d also suit the Lions to break the idea that the home union gets all of the ticket revenue. For years, the Lions have been of the view that the split is unfair.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Croker?
    Summer. GAA games.....
    Unfortunately what Sprinbok fans want won’t come into it because it’s South Africa and its response to Covid that’s the issue.

There wouldn’t be much price sensitivity for home Tests...210,000 seats x €200 is €42m (London, Cardiff & Dublin). With the TV and commercial revenue, there’d be more than enough to feed everyone.

It’d also suit the Lions to break the idea that the home union gets all of the ticket revenue. For years, the Lions have been of the view that the split is unfair.
    No chance you would have all €200 tickets. Its not going to happen.

I think Croker means paying away too much in rent plus the Championship is on.

Lions Test tickets cost a fortune for Lions fans at the best of times.

For example, I paid £152 face value for a ticket to the Japan game.

They can charge what they like for 3 Tests because people will be gagging to go to things and because of the uniqueness of it.

I’m talking about an average of €200; don’t forget hospitality, premium level, boxes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Summer. GAA games.....

No chance you would have all €200 tickets. Its not going to happen.

GAA planning on inter county season being over by mid July

It’s pretty simple really. Rugby and South African rugby in particular needs this to go ahead. But it can’t go ahead in South Africa. So what’s the logical next step? It goes ahead somewhere else.

It’s pretty simple really. Rugby and South African rugby in particular needs this to go ahead. But it can’t go ahead in South Africa. So what’s the logical next step? It goes ahead somewhere else.

The Lions tour isn’t going to happen outside South Africa.

If it can’t happen this year, it’ll be postponed to next year

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Micheal Martin said that his optimistic view is that there will be no spectators at sporting events until the autumn
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40193436.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Your personal opinion is not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Presumably the uptake of bookings is terrible, while ticket sales are reported as good from the locals the lack of lucrative touring fans must a worry outside of having to refund lots of ticket sales...

2022 me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I’d be shocked if it goes ahead somewhere else. South Africa will want it in some shape or form either this summer or next. 2 summers on the bounce of Lions takes away a bit of the unique appeal. It’ll be rescheduled for 2022.

Presumably the uptake of bookings is terrible, while ticket sales are reported as good from the locals the lack of lucrative touring fans must a worry outside of having to refund lots of ticket sales...

2022 me thinks.

No, the sales have been very strong according to the Lions.

The two most obvious choices are to play it somewhere else or to move it to 2022.

The former is probably easier given the calendar issues and more desirable given the urgent need for cash.

deckie66 wrote: »
    Micheal Martin said that his optimistic view is that there will be no spectators at sporting events until the autumn
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40193436.html

Paddy last like always

We will be watching the Euros and other sporting events with stadiums full and us still with no spectators allowed

The UK have already said that the vulnerable being vaccinated is the gateway to letting fans back into matches.

They’re less concerned about healthy people passing Covid to one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Paddy last like always

We will be watching the Euros and other sporting events with stadiums full and us still with no spectators allowed

"Paddy last".

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I have booked a trip to SA but would have no interest if games were moved up here. Pushing to 2022 is the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Paddy last like always

We most certainly will not

Paddy last like always

Thats not the case and are you ever not taking the glass half empty viewpoint?

Pushing to 2022 is the best option for fans alright but money’s gonna talk on this one. The game is in big trouble financially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I apologise for going slightly off topic. The lions seams to be mainly about money these days, So could we see in the future it morph in to the European lions the same way the ryder Cup with players from other European nations. I would imagine in it would be a big money spiner

Advertisement