Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland tour of West Indies 2020

Options
  • 02-01-2020 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Amidst all the financial problems facing Irish cricket they are participating in a tour in the West Indies.

02/01/20 vs Wanderers CC - Barbados - 50 overs

04/01/20 vs West Indies Cricket Board President's XI - Barbados - 50 Overs

07/01/20 vs West Indies - Barbados - 1st ODI (D/N) - 17:00

09/01/20 vs West Indies - Barbados - 2nd ODI (D/N) - 17:00

12/01/20 vs West Indies - Grenada - 3rd ODI - 13:30

15/01/20 vs West Indies - Grenada - 1st T20I - 17:00

18/01/20 vs West Indies - St Kitts & Nevis - 2nd T20I (D/N) - 22:00

19/01/20 vs West Indies - St Kitts & Nevis - 3rd T20I (D/N) - 22:00

The squads are:

ODI squad
    Andrew Balbirnie (Captain), Mark Adair, Gareth Delany, Andrew McBrine, Barry McCarthy, James McCollum, Kevin O’Brien, William Porterfield, Boyd Rankin, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Lorcan Tucker, Gary Wilson, Craig Young.

T20I squad
    Andrew Balbirnie (Captain), Mark Adair, Gareth Delany, George Dockrell, Josh Little, Barry McCarthy, Kevin O’Brien, Boyd Rankin, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Gary Wilson, Craig Young.

First matches for Balbirnie as captain, so it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Facing Wanderers CC currently in a warm-up game and Ireland have started off to a flyer reaching 69-0 off 10 overs.

That match is currently being streamed here

Ireland hit an impressive 338-5 in brilliant batting conditions against the Wanderers with Gary Wilson top scoring with 76 runs off 35 balls. Probably his best score in years.

Ireland afterwards won the opening game of the tour against the Wanderers as they hit 293-7, giving Ireland a victory of 45 runs.

On Saturday, Ireland hit 275-9 against a West Indies President's XI, but were beaten by 3 wickets.

First ODI is tomorrow against the West Indies main team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Really looking forward to this. Nice blend of youth and players coming in to the pinnacle of their careers. We might lose all 6 games but if we keep our pride and have them on the ropes once or twice then we can hold our heads high.

Roughly 40 games this year, similar to last year, although 20 came from associate members last year and this year it's all full members basically. So wins won't come as easy but it'll be a great learning curve for the players. As I said, I'm looking forward to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ireland win toss and batting first. 4/0 after first over

26/0 after 5

Stirling out 15

Balbirnie out had hit some good shots. In trouble already

Delaney out. 3 gone inside first 15 overs

• Advertisement

Kob out now. 68/4 and in all sorts of bother

Porterfield out 80/5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

88/6 Singh out

We're getting absolutely dicked on. Hopefully the lads can learn from this. It's a young squad and this is huge experience from them.

Two young guys at the crease now and a big partnership is needed to give Ireland some sort of score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

Are these matches on tv anywhere?

Sky Sports Mix, channel 439 on Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Brilliant six. Ireland Six down but determined to force things still, think they’ll need a couple of half centuries from these guys to force a competitive total as well as a wagging tail.

Adair batting beautifully. Tucker hitting fresh air a lot. Lucky to still be in. Needs to take the single a bit more. Even 200 would give us something to bowl at and we can regroup, go again and come back better for the second ODI

That was a really poor shot to what was a pretty average delivery, lucky it was dropped.

• Advertisement

We really needed another five overs of taking singles before going gung ho. Just saw the wickets there. Some were very cheap. O'Brien batting like a number 11. Was Singh playing a shot or trying to leave? The top 3 or 4 can do better too.

We're only going to get better by playing big games against full members regularly. We have that this year. In all games this year, and we have about 35-40 against full members in all comps, 5-6 wins would be absolutely huge. This is the first for people like Delany so they'll learn from this.

terrible shot, come on, not what was needed. Must have been totally premeditated instead of just playing the delivery on its merits.... 200 starting to look quite a long way away now.

Tucker gone now. Nobody able to make a big contribution at all.

McCarthy given out lbw but he had a big inside edge onto his pad and the decision is overturned. Ireland have had no answer for Azzari Joseph today.

VillaMad wrote: »
    Tucker gone now. Nobody able to make a big contribution at all.

Once again a lot of starts, foundations there, but I don’t know.. forget about players getting a hundred, it’s a case of yet another innings with nobody getting a half century or even into the 40’s

Strumms wrote: »
    Once again a lot of starts, foundations there, but I don’t know.. forget about players getting a hundred, it’s a case of yet another innings with nobody getting a half century or even into the 40’s

I think they are still heavily reliant on Stirling giving them a good start and then just to play around him to get a decent score without taking risks as he scores at such a fast rate.

If he goes early, the side seems to struggle a bit as they have to play more aggressive which goes against most of their techniques.

VillaMad wrote: »
    I think they are still heavily reliant on Stirling giving them a good start and then just to play around him to get a decent score without taking risks as he scores at such a fast rate.

If he goes early, the side seems to struggle a bit as they have to play more aggressive which goes against most of their techniques.

Yep, they just don’t hit enough boundaries. Unfortunately even when just hitting decent shots to get ones and twos ...more often then not they pick a fielder.

180 all out

Yep, just not going to be a competitive score against a team of this quality, should be wrapped up in 35 overs I’d guess... pity, it’s very annoying to see so many starts not converted into real scores... 15, 19, 16, 15, 4, 31, 5, 29, 4, 13, 10...

Just not good enough, not a difficult pitch for batting.

• Advertisement

Left handed batter, right handed off spin bowling round the wicket. Batsman takes two steps to his left to sweep, batsman misses, ball just missed stumps by an inch. But because it went down the leg side it's a wide? Had the batsman stood still it would have been the batsman's offside. Harsh ruling that, however insignificant it is

Advertisement