Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to identify structure.

Options
  • 05-06-2018 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

While walking in Dysart woods near Portlaoise i came across an unusual structure.
    It is built into a slope. From above there is a circular hole roughly twelve feet wide. Underneath there is tunnel like stonework, which although filled now with vegetation looks like it led into the cavity from above.
    A few days later i found another very similar structure about 3km away. This one appears to have been built later with far better stonework. The hole on this one is smaller at about 5 feet wide.
    My guess is that these are charcoal pits?
    If anyone has information about these i would appreciate it.

vdZCGtVh.jpg

YQdaqGeh.jpg

This picture is from above. Its hard top make out the hole because it is overgrown.
    xeEab13h.jpg

These pictures are of the newer looking structure.

Xzt2aBah.jpg

pJVQ35Eh.jpg

kUFduxFh.jpg

dZcN1c6h.jpg

LkkSia8h.jpg

kxWlml9h.jpg

Comments

Lime kiln?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Yes that is exactly what they are. lime_kiln-320x214.jpg
    Interesting article on them here

Now i would just like to know how old they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Ice house?
    Near a 'big house'?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

No its not near a big house.
    Im sure it is a lime kiln. In the third last picture you can see lime in the eye of the pit.

Advertisement