Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping/tents

Options
  • 18-02-2018 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all. Ok I know this thread doesn't exactly fit here but I couldn't see a camping thread and anyway thought some if you guys might have started out in a tent or use one for overflow sometimes.
    Basically I would like to buy a simple enough cheap tent for 3/4 People for the odd stay on campsites in irl. I bought a tent in argos a few yrs ago and have only used it in garden twice as I find it literally impossible to put up. It was a big enough one with kind of two rooms either side and a middle bit. I would be on my own with two kids so need to put it up myself. Cooking etc is not a priority. We wouldn't be staying long and could sometimes travel.with my sister and their camper.

Sorry I'm rambling a bit now. Basically can anyone recommend a good dry easy to pitch tent for 3/4 People? Ideally with a small porch bit for wet shoes. Or where should I look?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

henrietta wrote: »
    Hi all. Ok I know this thread doesn't exactly fit here but I couldn't see a camping thread and anyway thought some if you guys might have started out in a tent or use one for overflow sometimes.
    Basically I would like to buy a simple enough cheap tent for 3/4 People for the odd stay on campsites in irl. I bought a tent in argos a few yrs ago and have only used it in garden twice as I find it literally impossible to put up. It was a big enough one with kind of two rooms either side and a middle bit. I would be on my own with two kids so need to put it up myself. Cooking etc is not a priority. We wouldn't be staying long and could sometimes travel.with my sister and their camper.

Sorry I'm rambling a bit now. Basically can anyone recommend a good dry easy to pitch tent for 3/4 People? Ideally with a small porch bit for wet shoes. Or where should I look?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

We've got three tents here in addition to the camper (and safari room! :) ) and use the whole lot when we got to "our" annual music&dance festival. The smallest of them is one of those "pop-up" tents with a bit of an awning, sleeps two comfortably and can be put up single-handed. The biggest is a three-bedroom "pop-up" with central living space and needs two people. Both of those were bought in Decathlon (France, but I think they have a branch in the North somewhere) and would be the most common brand of tent that I see at all the festivals I go to (Quetcha).

Regardless of what the instructions say, it's always easier to have at least one extra person on hand, but more importantly, every tent or marquee that I've ever owned has a particular set of quirks that you need to get used to. Once you've done that (and this might mean not following the instructions to the letter) it's usually really easy to get it pitched and ready for use, especially if you've got a couple of pole-holders and peg-fetchers that you can give instuctions to! :D

It sounds like you've already got a tent that fits your needs, so I'd take it out of the bag some weekend and see if you can figure out why you haven't been able to get on with it up to now. Then spend another few evenings/weekends working out your own system for getting it up and running, using extra rope/bungie cords/bricks/coloured tape/whatever when necessary. With a bit of work now, you'll have it down to a 30-minute routine, and have saved yourself what you didn't need to spend on a new tent that'll take the same amount of "getting to know you" time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We've got three tents here in addition to the camper (and safari room! :) ) and use the whole lot when we got to "our" annual music&dance festival. The smallest of them is one of those "pop-up" tents with a bit of an awning, sleeps two comfortably and can be put up single-handed. The biggest is a three-bedroom "pop-up" with central living space and needs two people. Both of those were bought in Decathlon (France, but I think they have a branch in the North somewhere) and would be the most common brand of tent that I see at all the festivals I go to (Quetcha).

Regardless of what the instructions say, it's always easier to have at least one extra person on hand, but more importantly, every tent or marquee that I've ever owned has a particular set of quirks that you need to get used to. Once you've done that (and this might mean not following the instructions to the letter) it's usually really easy to get it pitched and ready for use, especially if you've got a couple of pole-holders and peg-fetchers that you can give instuctions to! :D

It sounds like you've already got a tent that fits your needs, so I'd take it out of the bag some weekend and see if you can figure out why you haven't been able to get on with it up to now. Then spend another few evenings/weekends working out your own system for getting it up and running, using extra rope/bungie cords/bricks/coloured tape/whatever when necessary. With a bit of work now, you'll have it down to a 30-minute routine, and have saved yourself what you didn't need to spend on a new tent that'll take the same amount of "getting to know you" time.

+1 on this. While most require 2 people to put up the 2nd person usually can just hold a bit while you do the work. 2 children should be able to do the job of a 2nd adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Two great pieces by DEL2005 and CELTIC RAMBLER

just an additional piece which might have some value

http://email.outandaboutlive.co.uk/434_Y2yXmwFPNsZNa294IU~pFpQMPOw0d~gqpRqXqVn/WebView.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The tent you have - colour code the bits that go together using electrical tape. Use two strips if you run out of colours using one strip. Assemble the frame but leave the bottom part of each leg (probably sprung joined) inside the frame so it is 'on its knees'. Make sure all doors and windows are zipped up then put the canvas over the frame. Crawl inside and join the bottom sections of the frame. If one of the children can go in and support the opposite leg so that the frame is not twisted too much, that makes it easier. Come out and pull the canvas straight, and peg down. Don't open zips till it is set in place. Then you can go in and hang the inner canvas.

On the other question, I got an excellent Urban Escape tent from Halfords. You slide flexible poles through sleeves in the canvas and provided you follow the instructions and do it in the right order it is very easy to put up, high enough to stand up in and very well designed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Thanks for all the advice guys.
    I'm based in midlands/near galway.

The tent I have is like the below picture but I just can't get the poles to stretch enough to get the little pins up the bottom of the pole. I took it out last Summer to try again and was in foul mood mad mad as hell by the time I bundled it back into the attic. So if anyone knows what I'm missing feel free to share.
    If I buy again I will prod go for a simpler dome type tent or that I think.
    Don't want to spend much incase Its not used. If it turns out we love it I could always upgrade to a decent one.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6017358

... I just can't get the poles to stretch enough to get the little pins up the bottom of the pole.

Do you mean the pins as shown in step 2 of this set of instructions (different tent, but common system)? If so, your use of the word "stretch" suggests you're doing it the wrong way ;).

If this is your tent (link above is a bit flaky) then I really don't think you should buy a new one! It's very similar to the small one I described.
    6017358_R_Z001A?$Web$&$DefaultPDP570$
    Other than keeping all the zips closed as described by looksee, the most important thing is not to try to be too perfect when you start staking it out.

My routine is:
    1. leave the "insides" in the bag
    2. assemble all the poles
    3. lay out the tent where it's going to go, check clearances for guylines all round, using the porch, etc, then
    4. lightly peg the corners into place - just to stop the wind from carrying it off.
    5. run each pole through it's channel without fixing it in place (so tent is still a floppy mess at this stage)
    6. starting in the middle, pin one end of the pole but don't peg it yet*, then pin the other
    7. repeat for the other "middle" pole, then the other two.
    8. now start pegging things down, half-way until all pegs are in place; make adjustments if necessary, then all the way down.
    9. peg and adjust guylines.

* unless the pin keeps popping out, which it might if you're doing it single handedly, in which case you might need to fix the ring in place so that you can get enough of a bend on the pole to get the pin in the other end.

Having said all that, there have been times where I couldn't be bothered fiddling around with the pin and just pegged everything down with the pole through the ring. :cool:

Yes that's the tent or similar. I couldn't post a pic.
    It's part 6 I just can't manage. I get the pin in one side and just can't get it in the other. It's a few months since I last tried so can't remember the exact instructions I followed just the red mist that had descended by the end😂
    Maybe if we ever get a dry day again I'll have one last try following your method above and fingers crossed it works.

Eta. Reading my last msg again I think stretch is the wrong word. The poles are actually way to long so I can't the ting and pin to reach the end to put the pin up the pole if that makes sense

Thanks so much for all your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

It's part 6 I just can't manage. I get the pin in one side and just can't get it in the other. It's a few months since I last tried so can't remember the exact instructions I followed just the red mist that had .

Usually its the pole is binding in the sleeve, especially if tge guy loops are sewn onto the sleeves. if you find it wont go in, you slacken off, pull the sleeve along the pole and try again. Once you have the hang of it its easy.

I was very interested this summer to see a family arrive with an expensive 'easy up' airbeam tent it took them 3 times as long to put it up as their uncle with a tent like re yours who pitched next to them between inflating beams and all the extra guy ropes I could see no advantage whatsoever especially given the price premium.

Maybe if we ever get a dry day again I'll have one last try following your method above and fingers crossed it works.

If you try with just one pole and no pegs, you should have enough space in the sittingroom or kitchen, or the hallway, to be able to mess around with threading the pole through the canvas and fitting the pins in place.

In fact, try it without threading it through the canvas first, and have a look at the joints in the pole - make sure the segments are pushed in as fas as they can go.

That way, as soon as you get a dry day, you'll be ready to do a full-scale trial with no red mist! :D And when you succeed, you'll be delighted to have saved yourself some money! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Usually its the pole is binding in the sleeve, especially if tge guy loops are sewn onto the sleeves. if you find it wont go in, you slacken off, pull the sleeve along the pole and try again. Once you have the hang of it its easy.

I was very interested this summer to see a family arrive with an expensive 'easy up' airbeam tent it took them 3 times as long to put it up as their uncle with a tent like re yours who pitched next to them between inflating beams and all the extra guy ropes I could see no advantage whatsoever especially given the price premium.

I've seen the tents on Airbeam alright, they don't seem quicker to put up.

That aside, the Airbeam awning we have for the camper is a delight - 15 minutes from out of storage to sitting down around the table - it's a Godsend.

Thanks guys, you have given me the push to have another go.
    I'll keep you updated;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Probably sorted. They asked the question 3 years ago.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Can anyone recommend a good place for buying a trailer tent here apart from Adverts or done deal? I've tried O Meara's and some other place but there doesn't appear to be any.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dueaug

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3989441/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm

Looking at the above for myself and 2 teens, would it be any good for camping in Ireland? Any other ideas appreciated. Thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

dueaug wrote: »
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3989441/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm

Looking at the above for myself and 2 teens, would it be any good for camping in Ireland? Any other ideas appreciated. Thanks

Not a chance! You wouldn't fit an adult and two teens into that one sleeping space. Try get one with two end rooms and a space in the middle. Trust me, you'll appreciate the peace in having your own little sleeping space.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good place for buying a trailer tent here apart from Adverts or done deal? I've tried O Meara's and some other place but there doesn't appear to be any.

There doesn't seem to be much of a market for them here in Ireland. Anyone I've know who's bought one has gone to the UK.

Advertisement