Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to Evening Herald/Freeman's Journal May 1916 ?

Options
  • 15-09-2015 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has access to these two publications online? Don't have an option to get into the NLI just yet.

Looking for information on Martin O'Leary from Dorset Cottages/Street who was shot in the rising. I think he was a civilian [although that depends greatly on who you ask in the family].

Apparently he was mentioned sometime around 27th May 1916 in the Herald & 9th May in the Freeman's Journal.

Thanks in advance if anyone can assist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vonzepp

Hi

I had a look on irishnewsarchieve and couldn't find an article from May 1916 from the Freemans Journal for a Martin O'Leary. . Don't have access to the Herald.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vonzepp

Hi

I had a look on irishnewsarchieve and couldn't find an article from May 1916 from the Freemans Journal for a Martin O'Leary. . Don't have access to the Herald. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hasta

Glasnevin Cemetery in their 1916 Necrology project name a Martin O Leary, civillian, killed 27/04/1916
    though weirdly I can't find a record of his burial in Glasnevin on the on line database.
    The corresponding death record shows that he was 60 years old.

First name(s) Martin
    Last name O'Leary
    Birth year 1856
    Age at death 60
    Registered quarter/year Apr - Jun 1916
    Registration district Dublin North
    Volume 2
    Page 417

Which means that is probably him in the 1911 census on Dorset Row.
    Also can't see a record of him in the Freeman's and the Evening Herald is not online yet - but is also available on microfilm in Pearse Street library.
    I'd buy the death cert and if that is your Martin O'Leary his name will be on the monument to the 1916 dead being unveiled in Glasnevin next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Oh this is brilliant. Thank you so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Martin O'Leary was my Great Grandfather on my mothers side. He was shot whilst cycling on his way home from work in the Guinness Brewery to his home in Dorset St.

Advertisement