Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query from newcomer

Options
  • 01-08-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Is there any website (paying if necessary) that will provide access to the entire Birth records - from 1900 - of a particular church? I'm not searching for an individual but the house number of all the people on a particular street.
    Thanks for any advice,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Is there a reason why it has to be church records?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Portlaoise Pictures

Thanks for your reply.
    No. A similar feature on Civil records would do just as well. But I do need the name and, especially the address of any children born to parents who lived, say, on Main Street, Anytown.
    What I'm doing is writing a history of every house on a particular street and the various families who have lived in each since 1900.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I think the census returns would be a better place to start if it is a particular street you are interested in. Most baptisms online cut-off around 1900 or earlier, so dont think that's an option. The Civil BMD Index is available on FamilySearch - but you would have to purchase the certs to see the full details.

Unless you can access the local civil registers, then the only way to narrow down the search is by district, so there's no way to know the residence or place of birth until you check the cert.

What street/town/city are you researching ?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Portlaoise Pictures

Thanks for your reply.
    Main Street and Market Square, Portlaoise (formerly Maryborough) Co. Laois (Queen's County). I've used both Censuses extensively and they've been very useful (especially the 1911) but still need quite a few more details.
    My website is
    www.portlaoisepictures.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

One possible source to check would be local directories (like Thom's for Dublin) or Electoral registers - directories dont show everyone and include just head of household, and electoral registers will only show adults - but could allow you confirm if a particular family stayed at the same address..

There may be access to the civil registers for the district in the local registration office - some districts allow research of these, but many dont. If you can do this it would save ordering the actual certs.

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement