Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galborough Court, Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adee

Sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

adee wrote: »
    Hi rhapsody
    how are you getting on with the search for the Fay's ?
    Saw this and thought you might be interested. A Prison record for Thomas Fay 26 Jane Place from 1912.
    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KM7M-G43
    There is another record for the same ofence for his cousin Bernard (John's son) also of 26 Jane Place. (they were let off with a caution)
    You can see that Thomas gives his Next of Kin as Brother James. But, on the other record, Bernard gives his Next of Kin as Father John. So I think more proof that John is Thomas's uncle. Also I notice he gives Place of Birth as 'Henry Pl Off Henry St' and a search on Irishgenealogy shows another sister for him a Christina born 1890 -
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/search.jsp?name2fm=&name2l=&namefm=&namel=fay&location=HENRY+PLACE+&dd=&mm=&yy=&submit=Search&sort=&pageSize=100&type=B&diocese=&parish=&century=&decade=&exact=&ddB=&ddM=&ddD=&mmB=&mmM=&mmD=&yyB=&yyM=&yyD=&locationB=&locationM=&locationD=&member0=&member1=&member2=&member3=&member4=&member5=&member6=&member7=&member8=&member9=&namef0=&namef1=&namef2=&namef3=&namef4=&namef5=&namef6=&namef7=&namef8=&namef9=&namel0=&namel1=&namel2=&namel3=&namel4=&namel5=&namel6=&namel7=&namel8=&namel9=&keyword=
    plus a bunch of other Fays all living cheek to jowel at Henry Place.

Looking back at what I'd written before I noticed that Thomas gave an address of 1 Up Oriel Street when he signed up in 1911. That should have rung a bell with me because I know his sister Mary and her family lived at 6 Up Oriel Street in the 1920's and 1930's and then moved to number 24.
    She died there in 1961.
    Anyway looking at the 1901 census shows a William Fay born Louth living there.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Oriel_St__Upper/12619/
    A brother for John and James ?
    More questions than answers :) but throwing a few more names in the pot might help the search back to the Louth/Meath Fays.

Hello again :) I haven't gotten far on this side of the family, ended up doing loads on another branch who are based on the other side of the county!
    That prison record is interesting, I can't read all of the detail you've referred to- I guess you're subscribed to Roots Ireland? A nice bit of detail, when so often it's just B-M-D and census records.

& Yes, the William you linked to is indeed James & John's brother (well I dont have birth records for anyone on this level but I'm fairly sure). Thomas was staying with him & wife Margaret (known as "Chuckie" apparently!) in 1901, their nephew. By the way, there's another sibling on this level too- Margaret.

A few more names are very welcome!

The James that Mollymoo19 mentioned, I take it that's Thomas' brother? The details for his wife would fit with his age- though I'm only working from the census & the details you've given, I dont have a birth record for him.

Glad you found some family on here!

Just to update a little, I've been looking at Thomas' sister Christina. Having not found any likely options for her in either census, I went for death certs. According to the Irish Genealogy link, Christina was born in December 1890. On the LDS site, there are matching references for a Christina Fay & a Mary Anne Fay (her mother's name) dying in early 1891 :(
    I'll hopefully get the certs soon & see if these are my people. That would certainly explain why Thomas and his siblings are scattered in the censuses.

Another update to this, I got Mary Anne Fay & Christina Fay's death certs today.
    (I also went with matching references to get the marriage cert for Mary Anne's sister in law & brother in law; the names were indeed on the same page but didn't marry eachother. Very frustrating & it's the second time it's happened! And both were Fay marriages!! :mad: )

Anyway, as adee suggested, it looks like Mary Anne Fay, mother of the Thomas & Christina we've mentioned here as well as four others, died of 'heart disease hypostatic congestion of lungs 9 months'. Her daughter Christina died four days earlier (aged 9 months), 'convulsions 3 days'. Very sad :(

Now for the question! What graveyard would they be in? They both died from Henry Place, Dublin 1. All I can find for northside Dublin is Glasnevin, is there somewhere else I should be looking?

EDIT: Just looked up Glasnevin Cemetery for the first time, Mary & Christina are both there though Christina is listed as 2 months old rather than 9; Mary's age is correct. They seem to be in separate graves, since they're not indicated as being in the same grave in the search results. I must take a visit.

Advertisement