Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these people related to me?

Options
  • 04-06-2011 7:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

Hello, i've recently discovered that my family were church of ireland and i have gotten back to 1730 and no further.. Just there now i was looking at rootsireland.ie and discovered several people with my name in the baptisms and indeed burials of a church of ireland church in derry and i beleive it was the only protestant church back then... i have an idea of the spelling back then i know it is not cummins but it was around kymin or kimmin. I know my family were super religious back then by the sounds of things.. so i'm just wondering would they have travelled the whole way to derry to get baptised etc?

Here is some people in the baptims:

Action Source Surname First Name Year County
    Church Baptism Kemin Thomas 1649 Co. Derry
    Church Baptism Cumming Elizabeth 1657 Co. Derry
    Church Baptism Kimin Thomas 1678 Co. Derry
    Church Baptism Kimin John 1681 Co. Derry
    Church Baptism Cumming Thomas 1683 Co. Derry
    Church Baptism Cumin Mary 1691 Co. Derry
    Church Baptism Cummin Alexander 1693 Co. Derry
    Church Baptism Ciming Thomas 1695 Co. Derry
    Church Baptism Cimin Fillis 1699 Co. Derry
    Church Baptism Cumin Richard 1701 Co. Derry

Then theres the burials :

Action Source Surname First Name Year County
    Church Burial Cumming John 1658 Co. Derry
    Church Burial Kemings Hugh 1658 Co. Derry
    Church Burial Cunnming Frances 1659 Co. Derry
    Church Burial Cuming Thomas 1660 Co. Derry
    Church Burial Cuming Elizabeth 1663 Co. Derry
    Church Burial Cumingham Elizabeth 1669 Co. Derry
    Church Burial Cumingham Margrat 1670 Co. Derry
    Church Burial Cuming Thomas 1681 Co. Derry
    Church Burial Cuming Thomas 1683 Co. Derry
    Church Burial Cumming Allin 1684 Co. Derry

Could somebody look into this or try and work out where them ones where from will it say on the record? Is there any other site where you can get these records free?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't know of any free sites for NI records. It seems unlikely they're related.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Why don't you check and see if they're in the Coleraine FHC? I know there are some records on microfilm relating to CoI church records in the Derry FHC, but I don't know what exactly as all my ancestors are from Donegal.

Coleraine Northern Ireland Family History Centre
    8 Sandelfields, Knocklynn Road, COLERAINE, BT52 1WQ,
    Thur 7pm-9pm
    Contact (028) 7032 1214

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Aw I already know that it's just that I wanted to try online first because it tales hours to do that and wits not good when you get no result! I usually have to plan when I'm going there

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I don't know of any free sites for NI records. It seems unlikely they're related.

Ok thats fine... i'll have to have a wee sneak when i'm looking at other church records soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Just after realising you were talking about IFHF (rootsireland). If you go into the advanced search, you can filter by Parish.

• Advertisement

Dun wrote: »
    Just after realising you were talking about IFHF (rootsireland). If you go into the advanced search, you can filter by Parish.

Yes Ano it's St columbs cathedrale I'm trying to work out If my ancestors wouldve travelled the 35 miles to Derry to get their kids baptized considering that was the only Protestant church then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Would it have been the only church ?

Lots of large estates had their own churches that locals may have attended.That certainly was true in Waterford. So was there a church as part of the local estate.

I was at a graveyard recently and was told that for 20 years the vicar used to go out every Sunday for a service for an elderly estate owner. The church closed after he died etc.

Yes it wouldve been since Presbyterians weren't aloud churches then.. Also the nearest church of Ireland only opened In 1720... Im nearly sure that's the only one

Advertisement