Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Forgive me for stirring, but you'll notice who Dave does NOT have his hand around

FFS go join the Conspiracy Theory forum. His arms ain't that bloody long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Forgive me for stirring, but you'll notice who Dave does NOT have his hand around

How's this for ya?:pac:

06jun1610_pic10.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »

06jun1610_pic10.jpg

Much better, thanks

P.S. Have you seen the recent announcement of more Australian dates on the way to Japan....still leaving September 4th open and still of course hinting there are a few shows left before touring winds down? I'm thinking if they play anywhere in Europe in September I'm gonna go

06jun1610_pic10.jpg

Broken........ :(

EDIT: Fixed. Stoopid comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Cliff wins imo, as he combined tech skill with originality/soul, the best of both worlds which makes him a superior musician. Newsted is ok, puts in a lot of feeling and has a distinctive style but I dunno, he just didn't really use the bass in the same adventurous way as cliff. T guy is technically outstanding but lacks originality, I appreciate his technique but for me, its ultimately about innovation rather than playing technically difficult stuff, of course if you combine both then you've got the ultimate musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

This interview with Mustaine and kerry king makes for some good reading :D
    Revolver: How did the "Big Four" tour come about?

King: It was something that was trying to be made happen, so it just took everyone signing off on it. I gotta tell you, man, I can't believe, in the 27 years since we put our first record out, that no one's tried to make this happen. Because now that it is happening, it's so cool, it's so important, that every territory in the world wants it. I don't know what took so long.

Mustaine: We had some opportunities to do these festivals, and we had been doing the Carnage dates [with SLAYER], which were of course so popular in the States and Canada. For me, personally, I didn't see it coming… Having dinner with Lars [Ulrich] the other night, he told me that he had talked to SLAYER's tour manager a year and a half ago about whether or not this was gonna happen, and I thought, God, I'm so glad I didn't know about this a year and a half ago, because I would've had to spend every day with that "I've got a big gig coming" brain.

Revolver: For a long time, it seemed like there was bad blood between you guys, specifically between SLAYER and MEGADETH, and MEGADETH and METALLICA. What squashed that beef?

King: Before we did the Australian and Japanese run with MEGADETH, I was reading the Revolver SLAYER issue, and reading this interview we did with Dave. And I just couldn't remember why I wasn't friends with this dude anymore — I could not remember what I was upset about. So we get to the airport, and I saw him coming out of the lounge, and I came up, shook his hand, and said, "Hey, dude, I don't think I've talked to you in about 15 years!" We have a ****load of dates coming up, and honestly, when I've talked to him, I remember the guy I dug 25 years ago.

Mustaine: We've just learned how to step back see what we stand for in the world, the "Big Four," and how each band has contributed to that in its own way. I had a huge turnaround on my whole outlook at life walking into this tour, these dates, with just a brand new relationship. The first person I talked to was [METALLICA guitarist] Kirk [Hammett]. We talked for a while, and then at dinner, I sat next to James [Hetfield] and Lars, and it was cool to look at it — just how much we changed the world… Twenty years ago, this tour probably wouldn't have happened — we were all young, and we weren't dealing with the fame too well.

Revolver: What do SLAYER represent in the "Big Four?"

King: We represent all that is evil in the "Big Four," and historically, I think we've represented thrash the best, but it's funny, just how these four bands from this same movement went off to become different entities.

Revolver: What about MEGADETH?

Mustaine: Our lyrics are a little deeper than some of the others, but we're each different in that way — SLAYER's lyrics are really different from ANTHRAX's. We're really just like a four-paned window, you know — four different vantage points, all getting across that same message.

Revolver: Since METALLICA is headlining these shows, Kerry, should they be worried about getting blown off the stage by one of you?

King: The one thing I'm not happy about — and we didn't know this until we got here — is that it's not always the "Big Four" in a row. Some days, there are bands in between us, and that's kind of a bummer. A night ending with ANTHRAX, MEGADETH, and SLAYER would be brutal. I have nothing against those other bands, but I didn't know about that. But yeah, we open for METALLICA some nights. I've seen METALLICA twice on this tour, and they may not have all the spiel and bells and whistles they had in the States, but they've been killing it. They're pros, man, they'll have no problem. That said, man, our set's brutal, and it ain't there to make friends.
    Revolver - Full interview

Would have loved to hear what Dave,Kirk,Lars and James spoke about :pac:

Newsted is ok, puts in a lot of feeling and has a distinctive style but I dunno, he just didn't really use the bass in the same adventurous way as cliff.

I think that has a lot to do with the way he was viewed, or treated, in the band. In 15 years he handed Metallica a lot of material for every album he contributed on but just 'Where The Wild Things Are', 'Blackened' and 'My Friend Of Misery' afforded him any writing credits

That means he was either ignored or his material was taken, and then they claimed they had "reworked" it so much he couldn't be credited, and who was Newsted to say "hold on James Hetfield, you can't screw me over like this...." Newsted did what he was told because he was both a Metallica fan and he didn't want to appear weak

I know for a fact that Newsted started travelling alone on the Load Tour around 96 and continued this until he left Metallica. Wherever possible, Newsted kept his own company, and whereas the other members sometimes shared a room or a bus it was different with Jason.

I also think there's a problem in a band where James has always written the lyrics, because despite the fact he's the vocalist he has never given that role up to anyone and I don't think he ever will. For a band that claimed to deal with their issues throughout St Anger I don't think they learned enough.

I also think there's a problem in a band where James has always written the lyrics, because despite the fact he's the vocalist he has never given that role up to anyone and I don't think he ever will. For a band that claimed to deal with their issues throughout St Anger I don't think they learned enough.

They shared the lyric writing on St. Anger. The results speak for themselves and you can see why Hetfield took the lyric writing back on board himself.

I always liked Jason. He was like one of us fans except he was in the band. His stage presence and backing vocals were brilliant. His playing was pretty good too but i prefer Trujillo's sound tbh. In truth it doesn't matter who plays bass in Metallica,they'll always be in the shadow of Cliff. They do seem very comfortable with Trujillo though,that may be down to his laid back personality. Jason was an eager beaver,always wanting to write and play. It didn't fit in with the often long down times Metallica were renowned for.

In truth it doesn't matter who plays bass in Metallica,they'll always be in the shadow of Cliff.

I want to agree with you, but I wonder, do newer Metallica fans (in both age and musical taste) maybe not associate Cliff with the band as much as veteran fans do. I mean, they made no videos with Cliff, despite his incredible musical input and vision. And, as fate would have it, there also exist's not a single professionally shot Metallica concert featuring Cliff in the line up. So asides from a few scattered interviews...in which Cliff hardly says anything next to a spotty Hetfield....there really isn't anything of Cliff around.

And since he is dead, may he RIP, he isn't performing in another group and so new fans haven't seen him perform at all since 1986 - unlike Big Jim Martin ex-FNM or Slash ex-GNR for example

And, of course, it's not absurd to assume that a casual Metallica fan who doesn't check the Internet on the subject (and there are plenty of them around the globe) might simply assume Metallica's old bassist was Jason Newsted

• Advertisement

Good points about Newsted. While Bob Rock says a lot of meaningless stuff in Some Kind of Monster I think he hit the nail on the head when he said that Metallica would never have a permanent bassist. Imo the chemistry of the band was cemented with Cliff and its never really been replaced. That said I don't know why Newsted stuck out the hazing for so long, the money I guess? Didn't know he travelled solo during Load. Was watching a Kirk Hammet interview from this year and it was telling when he stated that Trujillio replaced "that guy who left."

edit: AJFA is one of the best "political" rock albums ever. Imo the lyrics are excellent and don't involve sloganeering so AJFA is awesome.

I want to agree with you, but I wonder, do newer Metallica fans (in both age and musical taste) maybe not associate Cliff with the band as much as veteran fans do. I mean, they made no videos with Cliff, despite his incredible musical input and vision. And, as fate would have it, there also exist's not a single professionally shot Metallica concert featuring Cliff in the line up. So asides from a few scattered interviews...in which Cliff hardly says anything next to a spotty Hetfield....there really isn't anything of Cliff around.

And since he is dead, may he RIP, he isn't performing in another group and so new fans haven't seen him perform at all since 1986 - unlike Big Jim Martin ex-FNM or Slash ex-GNR for example

And, of course, it's not absurd to assume that a casual Metallica fan who doesn't check the Internet on the subject (and there are plenty of them around the globe) might simply assume Metallica's old bassist was Jason Newsted

I agree with you to an extent. While Jason features in a lot of videos,particularly from TBA period and is inextricably linked with the band,any new fans reading up on the band are more likely to encounter more references to Cliff than to Jason. His influence on the other 3 members still burns bright,they still talk about him now and his musical and personal influence on them. Jason on the other hand gets about as much attention as Ron McGovney!

Funnily enough,Trujillo has only 1 album under his belt but officially has more writing credits than Jason who played on 4 studio albums.

Funnily enough,Trujillo has only 1 album under his belt but officially has more writing credits than Jason who played on 4 studio albums.

True. I remember the interview Hetfield gave where he said that Trujillo had already contributed more in an album then Newsted did in several years...and I kept thinking, but surely that's because you didn't let him?

I also remember hearing that Hetfield asked for Newsted to be fired from the band about 6 months after he joined. He didn't like the fact that Newsted wanted to be so involved in the promotional and decision making so he told Ulrich he had to go. Ulrich and the label, to their credit, stood up for Newsted and said "no, you made your decision, he stays"

Although I'm not sure how 100% accurate that is, but something similar did happen with Hetfield and Newsted...and come to think about it, I remember reading Jason got married around 1990 and then got divorced in a couple of months...it having something to do with his life on the road....

In fairness, Newsted contributed almost as much to Sepultura as he did to Metallica lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I really liked Jason as a bassist. As lord lucan and nyarlothothep have said, he put a lot of feeling into his playing and he was great on stage (backing vocals were great).

I'm not a fan of Trujillo really. Just don't think he fits in or something... In the Rock Hall of Fame video where they're both on stage I can't help but think of how Jason looks like he belongs up there much more than Trujillo.

Edit: He's also put more time into the band than any other bassist so I think there'll always be a special place for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

True. I remember the interview Hetfield gave where he said that Trujillo had already contributed more in an album then Newsted did in several years...and I kept thinking, but surely that's because you didn't let him?

I also remember hearing that Hetfield asked for Newsted to be fired from the band about 6 months after he joined. He didn't like the fact that Newsted wanted to be so involved in the promotional and decision making so he told Ulrich he had to go. Ulrich and the label, to their credit, stood up for Newsted and said "no, you made your decision, he stays"

Although I'm not sure how 100% accurate that is, but something similar did happen with Hetfield and Newsted...and come to think about it, I remember reading Jason got married around 1990 and then got divorced in a couple of months...it having something to do with his life on the road....

In fairness, Newsted contributed almost as much to Sepultura as he did to Metallica lol

It's all a bit of a flawed discussion again though, it's not comparing like for like, it's fine to discuss the Bassists on their technical ability and feel, but not really their impact on Metallica - as there are completely different circumstances surrounding their times in the band - of course Cliff will be remembered with having had a huge influence on the band and how they developed, he was involved in them breaking initially, and who knows what may have happened had that tragic accident not happened.......

But to compare Jason to Cliff in the realms of Metallica just is neither fair nor relevant as he was never really a part of the band in that way, from the start he seemed to be treated as a session player brought in to do a job and not have much input......with all that's been said since do you really think that his ideas were going to be taken into account when recording with the animosity the lads seemed to hold towards him for no reason.......he was a member of Metallica for a significant period of time and played on the albums that took Metallica as an entity to a completely different entity - but any creativity wasn't going to be used was it ????
    As for the idea that Cliff wasn't in video's or pro shot concerts - lets be honest for a band like Metallica videos were of little importance at the beginning, it wasn't a time that bands in that genre were making videos - so it's no surprise, things changed around the time of Justice and the band embraced it, so of course Jason is in a lot of videos and that may indeed give a more vivid rememberance of him over Cliff, and as more recent developments have happend there's more and more video and DVD's available, and in peoples conciousness Rob will be seen more now than either Jason or Cliff.......it's just natural.........
    But Rob has been welcomed into the band more readily than Jason and the band seems to be allowing him to put his ideas in to the mix and actaully listen to them......

Sometimes people don't get a fair ride with bands and I honestly don't think Jason got that.......so without knowing that he may have tried to add to the band you can't really judge his contribution.....that's my two cents anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Trujillo really. Just don't think he fits in or something... In the Rock Hall of Fame video where they're both on stage I can't help but think of how Jason looks like he belongs up there much more than Trujillo.

just lookin at this did metallica not catch wind of when 'Jasonic' dissed em having joined a 'real band' a few years ago, albeit a post-1992 Voivod?

i reckon he's more suited too. Trujillo don't fit - slap-bass is what he does best with the tone turned up he is restricted here. and in most metal groups where bass just provides depth

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Trujillo don't fit - slap-bass is what he does best with the tone turned up he is restricted here. and in most metal groups where bass just provides depth

I felt with Ozzy Osbourne and Suicidal Tendencies he was more at home to what he does best

Also, I made the connection the minute Trujillo joined Metallica that he had played for Jerry Cantrell before, in the latter's video for 'Anger Rising'

It's disappointing to think, but if Hetfield was recommended by Cantrell, he probably just picked Trujillo based on that as opposed to anything else....we all know about Hetfield's unquestionable admiration and loyalty to Alice In Chains

I felt with Ozzy Osbourne and Suicidal Tendencies he was more at home to what he does best

yep.. n of course here - same deal i guess

of course we know why metallikur brought him in, his binding spirit when they're in complete disarray. someone to lean on! aww.. good thing he's built like a tree trunk - i've seen Some Kind of Monster u know! very revealing. very amusing

however it backfired somewhat.. his womanizing grates on em. when he turns up with a different teenage girl prior to a show, there ain't half some sour faces

edit: to dispel any controversy, trujillo is of course married w/ kids! shocking :lol:

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    This interview with Mustaine and kerry king makes for some good reading :D

Revolver - Full interview

Would have loved to hear what Dave,Kirk,Lars and James spoke about :pac:

"METALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH and ANTHRAX — the so-called "Big Four" of 1980s thrash metal — played together for the first time in history this past Wednesday night (June 16) in front of 81,000 fans at the Sonisphere festival at Bemowo Airport in Warsaw, Poland.

A video interview with METALLICA bassist Robert Trujillo conducted by NME TV prior to the band taking the stage in Warsaw can be viewed below.

"[I asked the other guys] When's the last time METALLICA shared the stage with SLAYER, MEGADETH and ANTHRAX?' Robert said. "And they were, like, we've actually never played the same gig together. And, obviously, [METALLICA] has done shows with each of these bands separately on different occasions.

"Time went on, and it was brought up again, I guess, around the completion of [METALLICA's 2008 album] 'Death Magnetic'. And then James [Hetfield, METALLICA guitarist/vocalist] kind of took the torch and ran with it and started planting the seed with some of the people from management and Lars [Ulrich, METALLICA drummer]...

"Once Lars gets his head wrapped around it, then the wheels start moving.

"All the bands were well into it, the timing seemed right, everyone's got new releases, and the momentum is strong... strong, actually, for metal in general.

"This is the right time. Who knows?! Maybe a year or two from now, it wouldn't mean as much. Maybe it wouldn't have meant as much a couple of years back.

"Last night [Tuesday, June 15], we had dinner with the other three bands [in Warsaw, Poland], and it was great. Only bandmembers. It was kind of a setup to where we were in a smaller environment, it was a smaller restaurant. The tables were even smaller — maybe four per table. [Laughs] So we really had to kind of unite and bond.

"I hadn't seen Tom [Araya, SLAYER bassist/vocalist] in, it seems like, eight years. Dave Lombardo [SLAYER drummer] I've seen recently, Kerry [King, SLAYER guitarist] I've seen. [Dave] Mustaine [MEGADETH frontman and former METALLICA guitarist], I hadn't seen him in, it feels like, 12 years. Maybe it was 10 years. But I know more than anything, for Lars and James, to reconnect with Dave Mustaine was a really big deal — it was important to them.

"Once you get into it, there's just no shortage of conversation. The difficult part is kind of making your way to the next guy. There's always something great to talk about."

Several more "Big Four" shows will take place across Europe, with a June 22 concert in Bulgaria to be beamed to U.S. movie theatres. There are still no plans for a U.S. run."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141771

however it backfired somewhat.. his womanizing grates on em. when he turns up with a different teenage girl prior to a show, there ain't half some sour faces

This is Rob turning up with these teenage girls?

Wow, you think you know someone lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

....we all know about Hetfield's unquestionable admiration and loyalty to Alice In Chains

Well it might not be so unquestionable.

Beekay wrote: »
    Well it might not be so unquestionable.

He did this because he was a mate and there was no malice involved

Despite Jason's short hair, this is taken from around 1994 when they dropped off the tour...although James was making light of this, he knew himself it was because Layne had a massive addiction to heroin and serious issues

He even named the album Death Magnetic as such because of the inspiration he was given from a picture of Layne
    Metallica's new album Death Magnetic was written as a tribute to tragic Alice In Chains rocker Layne Staley. Frontman James Hetfield admits the central message of the record is that people should come to terms with the inevitable prospect of death.

And he reveals that the main inspiration behind many of the lyrics was "Man in the Box" singer Staley, who died of a drug overdose in 2002.

Hetfield tells Guitar World magazine, "The theme of our new album is that we're all gonna die sometime. Just like the poles of a magnet, some people are drawn to death and others are repulsed by it, but we all have to deal with it. Lyrically, it started as a bit of a tribute to Layne Staley and all those who've martired themselves in the name of rock and roll. But it grew and evolved from there."

Oh, and all Metallica friends looking for something rare or unique, I'm currently selling an item on EBay that even Lars Ulrich himself would agree is pretty hard to find...have a look if you like...

<snip>

although James was making light of this, he knew himself it was because Layne had a massive addiction to heroin and serious issues

i don't blame him for taking the p*ss then. smackheads are a pain in the arse its like someone on ecstasy every day undermining honest personalities, smack is like that constantly - maybe hetfield's just givin him a taste of his own medicine i'd a pal who needed gear to write songs, i don't listen to gear heads' material much rather the musings of sombre sobriety not some twat longing for a herione in one form else the other.. never gave a hoot for grunge also-rans alice in chains either. seem to be viewed as legends now or somethin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Motley Crue,

You were infracted previously for advertising stuff for sale. Please let this be the last time you do it.

.. never gave a hoot for grunge also-rans alice in chains either. seem to be viewed as legends now or somethin

Okay, I have to be honest, I don't agree with your opinion on Alice In Chains

But I didn't really want to open a discussion about drug use among musicians, thanks, I don't think this is the place

never gave a hoot for grunge also-rans alice in chains either. seem to be viewed as legends now or somethin
    Apologies for going off-topic but Alice in Chains are far from also-rans.

were a junkie-fronted rock group, all i know. no time for thespians fuelled by smack. you name em/ i hate em. the list is long

were a junkie-fronted rock group, all i know. no time for thespians fuelled by smack. you name em/ i hate em. the list is long
    Hate away, that doesn't mean they are dismissable as also-rans. If all you know of them is that their lead singer was a drug addict then I highly recommend checking out their album Dirt.

To use a Metallica-based analogy, just because Lars Ulrich comes across as a twat doesn't mean that albums like Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets should be dismissed. Appreciate and judge the music, not the musician.

You're words are just misguided, I'm sorry, you have a right to your opinion but in this case you are choosing a dangerously unpopular position.

I said before, this is a Metallica superthread, and it's got nothing to do with an argument for or against drug use among musicians...Alice In Chain's drug use, or that of their lead vocalist, may have had them kicked off a Metallica tour in 1994 but that is as far as it goes. I was just making the point that Hetfield's "slagging" of Alice In Chains was nothing more then in good fun and not vindictive because of the relationship Hetfield shares with Alice In Chains.

And I stand by believing that Trujilo's former work with Jerry Cantrell was a feather in the cap for Hetfield's personal decision that this was the guy they wanted. Trujilo may have worked with others, but the fact he worked with Cantrell, really moved in his favour

He had to be better then Bob Rock lol

• Advertisement

Metallica plan their Raiders comeback gig, with Bob Rock on bass

Notice how Rock suggests they use Robert Trujilo to play bass during this gig, but they're reluctant to do so, because he hasn't been "officially" selected but they all know he's going to be the new bassist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ticketsthere

I was hoping for an O2 show this time around but if they come to Marlay Park, Tickets There will be...ehm, there :)

They were incredible at the Big Four show in Poland, only Irish review I've seen so far posted now,

http://ticketsthere.com/2010/06/19/metallica-slayer-megadeth-anthrax-–-warsaw-poland-sonisphere-june-14th-–-live-review/

The idea that Megadeth won't support them is now out the window but I very much doubt they'll do it in September if Metallica come over, maybe next year on this so called 'massive' tour Met are planning \,,/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I can see Mustaine joinin them on stage for Mechanix, Mustaine on vocals :D

All of the big 4 on stage for 'Am I Evil?'.:)

Think maybe Mustaine would have issues with going to join them as part of a huge group

scudzilla wrote: »
    Think maybe Mustaine would have issues with going to join them as part of a huge group

I'm hoping he stays on stage after as the song after the cover slot is always a KEA song so it's still possible.

I'm hoping he stays on stage after as the song after the cover slot is always a KEA song so it's still possible.

He sure does deserve it

That was it! Lol @ DVD of it on the way too.

"What an amazing show, and what an amazing cover song! Band guys from each of the Big Four came out to perform Am I Evil? together. James, Dave, and Joey all took turns singing, with there were guotarists, bassists, and snare drum players all on stage. Pretty amazing event. An guess what, it's all being filmed for a Big Four DVD!! Full setlist is up, pics to come...."

I stopped reading that Met on Tour some time ago as the guy who writes it must be retarded, Every gig review is the same, here goes, my go at it

Opened with Creeping, now onto Bellz, Horsemen, Wolf. Crowd is awesome tonight

I'd love to read more actual tour stuff, like what they do on days off, both band and crew, all that kinda stuff

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    I stopped reading that Met on Tour some time ago as the guy who writes it must be retarded, Every gig review is the same, here goes, my go at it

Opened with Creeping, now onto Bellz, Horsemen, Wolf. Crowd is awesome tonight

I'd love to read more actual tour stuff, like what they do on days off, both band and crew, all that kinda stuff

Apart from tonight i never bother reading it,just check the setlist the next day. In fairness,it's probably hard for him to get excited about hearing Enter Sandman for the 500th time!:pac:

Metallica plan their Raiders comeback gig, with Bob Rock on bass

Notice how Rock suggests they use Robert Trujilo to play bass during this gig, but they're reluctant to do so, because he hasn't been "officially" selected but they all know he's going to be the new bassist

they really hazed Rock

This will have to do for now! In fairness,just seeing Hetfield & Mustaine playing side by side is amazing!

A better version.

06jun2210_pic03.jpg

36131_404347055263_10212595263_4896021_8220576_n.jpg

36131_404347065263_10212595263_4896022_4475948_n.jpg

• Advertisement

06jun2210_pic03.jpg

Well, it looks like we've nothing to complain about anymore, they're all friends....oh well

Maybe this will lead to them making some great music together. An album featuring all the skills and writing of the Big Four on one disc.....

Well, it looks like we've nothing to complain about anymore, they're all friends....oh well

Maybe this will lead to them making some great music together. An album featuring all the skills and writing of the Big Four on one disc.....

It'll never be that easy,the conspiracy theorists are already off because Araya/King and Hanneman didn't play on stage even though they were there!:pac:

It'll never be that easy,the conspiracy theorists are already off because Araya/King and Hanneman didn't play on stage even though they were there!:pac:

I did find that strange, I presume that's because they're purists....in the sense that Slayer's guitarists can never be seen doing anything even slightly mainstream because that's not the Slayer way

That, or they were booked so tightly, that they only just managed to rehearse their own material...the likelihood of them learning newer, or older Diamond Head, material was never going to happen because they just didn't have the time
    EDIT: Just checked their tour roster and sure enough they had to go to Hellfest in-between two Sonisphere's. All that travelling probably just didn't give them any time to learn new parts

On the other hand, maybe they don't like Diamond Head, and don't wish to acknowledge their musical influence publicly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ticketsthere

Slayer not getting up for this event has made them the biggest bitches of the lot as far as I’m concerned and I love their music. Fair enough they may not want to get on stage with old nemesis and let the nostalgia flow but if that’s how they feel, then they shouldn’t have done the tour in the first place.

Fair play to Mustaine and Hetfield, those guys looked like they were having a blast! Never in my life thought I'd see them hug!!

PLAYBOY: You're happily married, the father of two, you've been to therapy. You even wrote a love song. Can you still find the dark spot?
    HETFIELD: I know it's there, and how it got there. I can visit it and leave again. It's a dark spot you can't wash off.

Just listening to the Black album, doing some reading, and I discovered this interview with Metallica I'd never read before. It was published in April 2001 and as far as I'm aware Newsted left the band in January 2001...that's according to what I remember and what is written on Wikipedia

Anyway, here is the most interesting two pages...this is essentially St Anger and Some Kind Of Monster in the making...this is where it started....

http://web.archive.org/web/20071205015546/http://geocities.com/hetfieldinter/metplayboy8.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20070820142637/geocities.com/hetfieldinter/metplayboy9.htm
    PLAYBOY: But he could respect you by letting you release the album?
    NEWSTED: We're getting really close to some things we shouldn't be talking about. I would like him to see that this music is truly a part of me, like his child is a part of him.
    PLAYBOY: What did James say when you told him that you wanted to release the album?
    NEWSTED: I won't go there. We have to change the subject.
    HETFIELD: Where would it end? Does he start touring with it? Does he sell t-shirts? Is it his band? Thats the part I don't like. It's like cheating on your wife in a way. Married to each other.
    PLAYBOY: So what is Jason supposed to do during the hiatus?
    HETFIELD: I don't ****ing know. I'm not his travel agent.
    HAMMETT: I just hope we can survive this in one piece without tearing each other's ****ing throats out.
    PLAYBOY: Lars, do you think that Jason should be able to release his album?
    ULRICH: I wouldn't be able to look him in the eye and go, "You can't put that record out." That's not who I am as a person. That's pretty much all I have to say. I just can't get caught up in these meltdowns. I've got some issues in my family life, with my wife, that are a little more weighty than, like, whatever James Hetfield and Jason Newsted are bickering over.
    HAMMETT: I've spoken with Jason for hours on end. I'm upset for him. James demands loyalty and unity, and I respect that, but I don't think he realizes the sequence of events he's putting into play. Jason eats, sleeps and breathes music. I think it's morally wrong to keep someone away from what keeps him happy. That album will always be available in some format - whether it's on Napster or in stores, people are going to hear it.
    ULRICH: That's a great question. It's an interesting time to interview the four of us separately. You're hearing people get things off their chest - almost using you as the middleman. Like, James and Jason won't call each other, so they're having a conversation through you.
    PLAYBOY: How much longer can the band go on, given how physical the music is?
    NEWSTED: It's limited. People won't ever see me weak, won't ever see me just standing there onstage. When the day comes that I cannot perform, I will bow out. That's it.
    HETFIELD: A gray mullet would look all right.
    PLAYBOY: Are there any tricks to writing a Metallica song?
    NEWSTED: About 90 percent of Metallica songs are in E minor, because of James' vocal range is limited - although he's developed by leaps and bounds.
    PLAYBOY: Any chance Metallica will follow the rap-metal direction?
    NEWSTED: No. No rap in Metallica.
    ULRICH: The chances of James Hetfield going in a rap direction are probably between zero and minus one.
    PLAYBOY: From your perspective as a Metallica fan, Jason, it must be interesting to see James continue to evolve since Nothing Else Matters.
    NEWSTED: Where there was darkness before, now thers's a lot of light, since James' children entered the picture. The darkness will always be there, because of the damage done, but there's a big bright spot now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement