Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding old Dublin street names

Options
  • 14-06-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any pointers on how to translate some old Dublin street names into their current location ?

I'm trying to track down wherever Minnow Brook Terrace in Terenure was around the early 1900s. I have a note of a family that lived at 1 Minnow Brook Terrace at the time, but I can't find it listed anywhere. It's quite likely the road has been renamed or built over or something, but I'm sure there's a resource out there that might help me locate it.

Any pointers ?

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I dont see anywhere with that name on the 1901 or 1911 census. What year is the reference you have ?

Thom's 1914 has a listing in the index of a place named Minnowbrook Terrace in Terenure.. I'll check for more details

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's a Minnowbrook in Terenure on Terenure Road West between the junction of Hannaville Park Road and the Templeogue Road. I don't know whether that was the original location of the place that you're looking for. It doesn't even get a mention on a map, so perhaps it's a name given to a building.

When I'm looking for old names etc, I try this link, where there is an overlay on top of the modern maps, although the old Terenure sheets don't seem to have been stitched 100%, as they're out a bit.

You can switch between old and new by moving the slider on the bar that says "Show Towns"

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Just choose City of Dublin in the dropdowns, then link on any of the surnames for the map to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks for that - I will check those out when I'm back in front of the records and have more names to hand.

ejmaztec - is this the location you are talking about - http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,714232,730188,8 ? I think the father would have been a publican, any chance there was a pub on that terrace ?

shanew - I think it was in the period up to the early 1920s.

z

Minnowbrook Terrace is included as a terrace on Kimmage Rd in the Terenure section of Thom's 1914. Extract :

Kimmage Rd (from termination of Rathmines portion to where it joins with Terenure Road Upper).

Letter Wall-box at gate of Kimmage Manor
    ~20 houses)
    St. John's Tce (1-6)
    ~23 houses - including Ravansdale manor & Kimmage manor
    Minnowbrooke Tce
    1 Mrs. Murphy
    2 James Boyd
    Minnowbrook villa - Rev. Peter Hayes
    Minnowbrook house - John Moran

St. Bridget's Tce (1-4)
    ~16 houses - including St. Joseph's convent

Shane

The house marked as Minnow Brook on the 1st edition OSI map seems to have changed name to either Oriel cottage, or part of the Olney estate sometime before the 1880s... see map for the area below.

I've a copy of the map online at : http://roots.swilson.info/southcountydublinc1880/southcountydublin_c1880.html

Shane

117086.jpg

minnowbrook_1880.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I have a memory from reading a history of Terenure many years ago that Minnowbrook House faced on to the then Kimmage Road. Reconciling my childhood memories with the information shanew has posted, I have this image: going out from what used, for obvious reasons, be known as Roundtown, there were two adjoining cottages on the left; next was a well-proportioned two storey house that could well be described as a villa (still there until recent years) then a larger Victorian house which was replaced by a Garda station in, I think, the 1970s.

My suggestion is that Minnowbrook Terrace comprised those two cottages, demolished about 1960; then the first larger house was Minnowbrook Villa, and the next was Minnowbrook House.

Thanks for the excellent local feedback people. Any chance someone could put their finger on the location either on the OSI map I linked to above or else on the map linked by swilson.

My understanding of the locations to date (based on the map from swlison) is that it is one of the first set of houses on the left/bottom of the main road that goes from mid-right to top-left - is this correct ?

My OSI map has a teeny tiny red cross-hair where I think it might be (or have been) - is this is ?

z

This OSI link should start you off right on Minnowbrook : http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,714059,730195,8 (click historic or historic BW to see the old map )

the little red-cross markes the centre focus of the current map viiew... so will change location as you pan around

I've marked the equivilant location on the 1880s map below..

Oriel cottage on the 1880s map seems to have been added sometime between the 1840 and 1880s

Shane

117813.jpg

minnowbrook_1880-marked.jpg

duplicate post

Yes, you have it right. It's the road now known as Terenure Road West.

I am struggling to distinguish memory from imagination. It is possible that there were two red-brick two-storey houses opposite Hannaville Park, before the cottages I mentioned in my previous post, near the cross-hair you mention (which marks nothing more significant than the centre of the map). If the person in whom you are interested had a moderate income, believe the two-storey house; if poor, go with the cottages.

To quote J.M. Synge: "They're all gone now"; there is a row of shops there now, and little trace of the childhood pictures in my head.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. In terms of the crosshairs . . . I know it marks the centre of the map alright. I centred the map where I thought the location was and then saved the location and put the link up. I put them there to mark the spot I was thinking of if you know what I mean . . . :)

z

sorry... see the link in your earlier post...

I would say the location you have marked is closer to this area on the 1880s map ...

117824.jpg

Shane

minnowbrook_1880_m2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blathfitz

Minnowbrook House, built circa 1835, was situated at 26 Terenure Road West, where the current Minnowbrook townhouses and apartments are now, next to Terenure Garda Station. It was a Georgian-style two-storey house, with two bay windows to the front, and set in its own grounds. There was a small river running under the grounds, a tributary of the Poddle river. The house was built as a residence and the occupants owned the lands that adjoining houses at 22 and 24 were built on. The house fell into disrepair in the mid 20th century, but was bought by a family in 1959 and restored to its former glory. The drawing room was graced by a marble Adam fireplace, and the high ceilings and cornices in all of the main reception rooms showed the affluence of the original occupant. The stand of beech trees at the front still remains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

zagmund wrote: »
    Does anyone have any pointers on how to translate some old Dublin street names into their current location ?
    z

The OP's original question is my present one. I am reading handwriting from 1915 and it looks like Gulliver Terrace, Donnybrook. Does anyone know if this street exists, or ever existed or what it could be now? Or maybe I have read the name completely wrong. Any help appreciated.

I checked Thom's 1914, but haven't found a listing for a Gulliver's Terrace in, or near Donnybrook.

Is this from a birth or marriage cert ?

maybe post a scan of that section of the document ..

Shane

Sorry, I'm not allowed to scan it as the document doesn't belong to me. It was just an address and we can't make it out but it looks like Gulliver, but may be Gallives or something like that. Just thought it might ring a bell for someone here. I didn't think of Thom's. I'll check it out in the library and maybe something might occur to me. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hello - I too am searching for an address in the Terenure Road area - Winslow Terrace. I have a copy birth cert from 1903 (original 1881) which gives Winslow Terrace, Terenure Road as the address. I have searched the excellent map link posted in this thread but to no avail. Anybody got any other suggestions where I can go next for this information? Thanks. :)

Centred here: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,714715,730346,7,9

I should add that I found it quickly because I knew where to look. I am fairly sure the reason why is that there is an identifier of some sort there -- probably a plaque on one of the end-houses.

it's listed under Rathgar in Thom's 1884 as follows :

Winslow Terrace, Terenure Road, (Civil) Parish of Rathfarnham
    1 Alfred Killingley esq.
    2 Mrs. Hutchinson
    3 Miss Harding
    4 Mrs Witham

Shane

Thanks for that shanew but it's the location of the terrace that I'm trying to pin down. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

On google street viewer you can see there are some sort of plaques at either end of the terrace P.Breathnach posted.

Thanks for that shanew but it's the location of the terrace that I'm trying to pin down. :)

the terrace is marked on the OSI map that P. Breathnach already posted - select the c1890 map (25" historic) to see it....

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Hi to everyone, I am also looking for two Dublin addresses and being a Corkonian lol I haven't a clue! My Grandfather lived in 3, Floraville Road, and my Great Grandfather and Uncle lived in 42.1 and 42.2 Donnybrook East. Any help would be greatly appreciated to find out if these roads and houses still exist under different names or have long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tinareilly

hi everyone,
    im new to this site so hope you can help me. im looking for a "Cutter/Culler/Cuttler cottages" in pimlico area around the year 1928. i found Pimlico cottages which could be it but my ancestors lived there around 1928/29 and on their wedding cert it says "Culler/Cutter/cuttler (writing very hard to make out) can anyone tell me if im on the right track as have googled name and noting comes up except Pimlico Cottages.

SlimCi wrote: »
    Hi to everyone, I am also looking for two Dublin addresses and being a Corkonian lol I haven't a clue! My Grandfather lived in 3, Floraville Road, and my Great Grandfather and Uncle lived in 42.1 and 42.2 Donnybrook East. Any help would be greatly appreciated to find out if these roads and houses still exist under different names or have long gone.

The references I've found (e.g. Thom's) show that the occupants of Floraville road in 1914 included the St. Mary Magdalan Asylum. As far as I can see the entrance to this was off the crescent to the west of the main street that runs behind the Garda station and old Graveyard. On the 1890s OSI maps part of this street is named Church Lane, and on modern maps the Crescent. I think the small section to the south might have been Floraville ?

Donnybrook East seems to be located to the south east of the village - seems to be the section of the road near to Anglesea Bridge

You can see the Asylum, Church lane and Donnybrook East on the c1890 OSI maps : http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,717569,731553,7,9
    (click on the historic 25" option)

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Shane, thats really helpful thanks very much.

shanew wrote: »
    I checked Thom's 1914, but haven't found a listing for a Gulliver's Terrace in, or near Donnybrook.

Is this from a birth or marriage cert ?

maybe post a scan of that section of the document ..

Shane

Finally discovered the 'Gulliver' is actually Gullistan Cottages and they are in Rathmines, not Donnybrook. Sorry, the Donnybrook was my mistake so I misled you there.

Advertisement