Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How were twins recorded

• 07-08-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Just wondering back in the 1800's how twins would have been recorded. Or would it have been recorded at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

In the civil register (post 1864) the time of birth is recorded. It's not always apparent in church registers if one died soon after birth, but you should be able to notice two children, with the same parents, being baptised on the same day.

Maybe somebody more knowledgable than me has a better answer, but that's how I'd check.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Vic's right - the civil register showed a time, so if you see one, you know to look at the record immediately before and after...the time was given to establish which child was the elder. The details of vol page number ( and year, quarter, registration district) should be matching.

With the parish registers, it's not so clear unless the date of birth is also listed, because families, particularly CoI, often had several kids baptised together.

I was just this morning looking at a family where there were 6 boys, that I know of, 2 were born 1929 and 2 were born 1935 but the references are not sequential. They're quite distant and haven't had the budget to get all the birth certs yet. It's not impossible that the family twice had 2 singleton kids in the same year but it does seem unlikely.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

binxeo wrote: »
    Just wondering back in the 1800's how twins would have been recorded. Or would it have been recorded at all?

My G.G. Grandfather, born in 1823 was a twin and his baptism record contains a note to this effect; it shows as a note appended on the Rootsireland.ie record. I have also seen this type of note in the margin on the original records in irishgenealogy.ie. This may however be at the discretion of the recording priest.

Advertisement