Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

useful idiots?

• 02-04-2004 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭

I was killing some time at work on the internet and ran into the phrase "useful idiots" which is apparently attributed to Lennin - I say apparently because despite searching for a quote for the best part of 30 minutes I can find no quote by lennin that includes the phrase useful idiots though I can find plenty of people using the phrase and attributing it to Lennin.

Did lennin actually ever coin the phrase or is it just a popular myth? Im leaning towards the latter because I cant find a single primary source of evidence that he ever said it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Popular myth.
    See
    http://www.historyamericas.com/They_Never_Said_It_A_Book_of_Fake_Quotes_Misquotes_and_Misleading_Attributions_0195064690.html

From: http://civilization-calls.mu.nu/archives/011911.html

"The reference librarian, an articulate and helpful woman named Heather, called me back exactly as promised and read me the following:

"Lenin, it is said, once described left-liberals and social democrats as ‘useful idiots,’ and for years anti-communists have used the phrase to describe Soviet sympathizers in the West, sometimes suggesting that Lenin himself talked about ‘useful idiots in the West.’ But the expression does not appear in Lenin’s writing. We get queries on ‘useful idiots of the West’ all the time, declared Grant Harris, senior reference librarian at the Library of Congress, in the spring of 1987. We have not been able to identify this phrase among his published works."

The source of this passage is a work entitled "They Never Said It: a Book of Fake Quotes, Misquotes, and Misleading Attributions", authored by Paul F. Boller Jr. and John George, published by Oxford University Press in 1989. The text goes on to explain that the phrase apparently first appeared in a John Birch Society pamphlet labeling President Ronald Reagan a "useful idiot" because of some agreement he had negotiated with the Soviet Union.

Advertisement