Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Don't even have to go searching this time. I refer you to post #5905, up the page a bit...

I asked for that, didn't I...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Dannyman76

Don't even have to go searching this time. I refer you to post #5905, up the page a bit...

I was enjoying Pamela Joyce standing in, so your accusation of misogyny is misguided

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Was it not Jessica Maskieal standing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Iano is 60 tomorrow. He still sounds as fresh as he did 30 yrs ago on RTE.

What a quality jock he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Tommy Tiernan on Dermot and Dave there. He's a tricky guest cos you don't know what oddball thing he'll say next. I don't know is he just gone past it or is it me, but I found him awkward to listen to more than being any way funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Tommy Tiernan on Dermot and Dave there. He's a tricky guest cos you don't know what oddball thing he'll say next. I don't know is he just gone past it or is it me, but I found him awkward to listen to more than being any way funny.

I disagree, I thought the interview was good and I love his new podcast with Hector and Lorita Blewitt. Still havent watched the TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    I was enjoying Pamela Joyce standing in, so your accusation of misogyny is misguided

Pamela Joyce needs a prime time slot ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Pamela Joyce needs a prime time slot ASAP.

I think Pamela is great and deserves her own show too, but the thing I would be worried about is that they will probably "sanitise" her. She is good for telling a funny story that happened her, but if she gets a more permanent gig, she'll probably have to stick to the designated script.

I know Muireann got increasingly annoying towards the end, but when she first came onto Today FM filling in on the odd show, she was a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

I think Pamela is great and deserves her own show too, but the thing I would be worried about is that they will probably "sanitise" her. She is good for telling a funny story that happened her, but if she gets a more permanent gig, she'll probably have to stick to the designated script.

I know Muireann got increasingly annoying towards the end, but when she first came onto Today FM filling in on the odd show, she was a lot better.

Muireann fell victim to the "TodayFM script" and if Pamela got a Prime slot she would have to follow the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

statto25 wrote: »
    Muireann fell victim to the "TodayFM script" and if Pamela got a Prime slot she would have to follow the same.

When Muireann first started presenting as a stand in, she got loads of praise here. It all went wrong as soon as she got a permanent show. Even well-liked presenters like Ed Smith would find themselves in the same situation. It's debatable how much autonomy any daytime presenter has. They don't have much control over the music they play. The station has positioned itself as one with top notch "content creators". As part of this branding, it makes extra money from running expensive courses to show others how to do this too. So in short, anyone on daytime Today FM will be talking blather about Tayto sandwiches and who you shifted at your debs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I turn on Dermot and Dave in the morning but at 12 I turn over to a local station that plays mostly 70s,80s,90s. I just can't be listening to the modern pop sh!te all day

Tork wrote: »
    When Muireann first started presenting as a stand in, she got loads of praise here. It all went wrong as soon as she got a permanent show. Even well-liked presenters like Ed Smith would find themselves in the same situation. It's debatable how much autonomy any daytime presenter has. They don't have much control over the music they play. The station has positioned itself as one with top notch "content creators". As part of this branding, it makes extra money from running expensive courses to show others how to do this too. So in short, anyone on daytime Today FM will be talking blather about Tayto sandwiches and who you shifted at your debs.

This is true, and probably why Ed Smith has such a continued following. Also that he has a say over his playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭TheDavester

This is true, and probably why Ed Smith has such a continued following. Also that he has a say over his playlist.

theyre more lax on the shifts after 7 on the weekdays, if he was on between 7am-7pm he'd be more restricted/micro managed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

The station is more interesting off-peak. I presume no radio station is as fussed about its ratings after 7pm.

theyre more lax on the shifts after 7 on the weekdays, if he was on between 7am-7pm he'd be more restricted/micro managed

Agreed on all counts. Ed, Paul McLoone, Claire Beck, Dec Pierce, and previously the likes of Kelly-Anne Byrne, Dave Couse, even going back to Tom Dunne - the music is ten times better after 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Since working from home since last March, I am listening to less of TodayFM cos I can't stand their mix of music & some Mondays I listen back to Ed Smih's Songs Of Praise show rather than the radio. I just don't get the choice of music that they mainly play - there is no mix & even Ed on a week night playing the new crap - its not his taste, but he does play a better mix than the rest of the daily crowd.
    Like do the kids actually listen to the radio or is it mainly over 30's?

The music on today fm changed a bit before Xmas. Since January it’s changed a lot. A lot more 90s and 00s and a lot less imagine dragons and things. It’s much much better

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

first time trying dermot and dave its definitely very dub centric.. the anto and deco sthick maxed out... think i will be turning the dial after today..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Agreed on all counts. Ed, Paul McLoone, Claire Beck, Dec Pierce, and previously the likes of Kelly-Anne Byrne, Dave Couse, even going back to Tom Dunne - the music is ten times better after 7pm.

The music is better if you like the music. I personally do, but i understand its all about appealing to the masses and advertising.

gourcuff wrote: »
    first time trying dermot and dave its definitely very dub centric.. the anto and deco sthick maxed out... think i will be turning the dial after today..

Lol, don't let Dermot hear you - he'll have Noni after you to stab ye! Limerick, that well know suburb of Dublin... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Heard Fergal D'arcy's show for the first time in about 3 years yesterday, he was playing older music from the 90's and 00's and not much of his usual shtick, is this the norm now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

redbuck wrote: »
    not much of his usual shtick

Did he not do a piece on what annoys you about driving a different car to your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

redbuck wrote: »
    Heard Fergal D'arcy's show for the first time in about 3 years yesterday, he was playing older music from the 90's and 00's and not much of his usual shtick, is this the norm now?

They were playing a lot of older music yesterday as part of "beating Blue Monday"

They’ve been playing lots of older music recently. Interested to see if it continues

They’ve been playing lots of older music recently. Interested to see if it continues

Creates a bit more interest and probably suiting their main target audience - who seem to be 25 - 50 years. It dilutes down playing the new releases on repeat which is welcomed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The very noticeable change in the playlist is very welcome, now if Dermot and Dave could steer away from the eoghan mcdermott esque direction of late.

🙈🙉🙊

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    They were playing a lot of older music yesterday as part of "beating Blue Monday"

Thanks, I won't be tuning back in so if it was a one off event.

statto25 wrote: »
    Did he not do a piece on what annoys you about driving a different car to your own?

I never heard that part thankfully.

Mairéad's 'Let it Rip' was laugh out loud funny today. Letter: L.

"Part of the ear you'd normally get pierced?" "Labia!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭RINO87

This new playlist is FAR more palatable! Its the first time in years that I've chosen to leave daytime today FM on for more than a few minutes.
    It's piped in work, and it was driving me insane to hear dance monkey or watermelon sugar every time I took off my headphones....

Advertisement