Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses Sold on same day

Options
  • 17-01-2021 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I am at the beginning of the search for a house (FTB) and have seen a house that we’re interested in. With viewing restrictions, we’ve just been researching the area, estate etc in preparation for seeing it. It is a terraced house and we have noticed that the houses directly next store, either side, were both sold on the exact same day, which seems too coincidental.

One suggestion we’ve heard is that the council may have bought them up as part of their acquisitions. Obviously not all folk in council houses are the same but we previously had a bad experience in a place we rented, where some of the houses were sold to the council. Once bitten & all that.

Just wondering is there any way to find out if the council bought them; if they could have sold for some other reason; or that we’re entirely overthinking it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How strange it is to think you could be bidding against someone funded by your own tax.

Could be coincidental.

Only reason I can think that both would sell on the same day is if it was one single party was selling both houses, and a single party buying them. Which could well be the council, of course, but it wouldn't black and white mean it is the council.

Our local football pitch has just been destroyed by cars joyriding and being burned out on it. None of those involved are private home owners. You'd be right to be concerned. (not all council tenants are the same, as we all know, but you do get more bad eggs in a council house than a private house, and the council simply will not evict or deal with their tenants).

If I thought I was going to be sandwiched in between two council houses after spending a quarter of a million euro, I'd be looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

You can always get a folio of the houses for a €5 on landdirect and see who the registered owners of the houses are.

I grew up in a Council house and a Council estate and there was never any issues and was lovely estate. However in the last 15 years the estate has trebled with new Council houses. My parents, who are in their 70’s, are at wits end over it. The estate is very rough with children causing damages to cars and gardens and guards calling to houses all the time. Lockdown was a nightmare with house parties as soon as kids no longer had school. Those who have bought their houses couldn’t sell them now.

I withdrew from a new build once I found out the house behind us was going to be a Council house. Ended up buying a detached house in an old developed estate and delighted with it.

The difference I maintain is back in 70’s and 80’s alot more people were entitled to a house. So you had people who worked jobs but maybe low incomes are in a trade and were in an out of work. It’s unfortunate that those in that criteria now are not entitled to a house and instead you have a different type in council houses. So I would avoid if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Thank you all. Didn’t know that about landdirect. Good resource to know about.

Edit: so it looks like it's sheer coincidence. Got the folios, one seems to have been privately sold to a couple and the other looks like it's been passed to a family member (same surname). Worth the sleuth

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Yenwod wrote: »
    Thank you all. Didn’t know that about landdirect. Good resource to know about.

Edit: so it looks like it's sheer coincidence. Got the folios, one seems to have been privately sold to a couple and the other looks like it's been passed to a family member (same surname). Worth the sleuth

Yep it’s all public information as long as it’s land registry title so worth the few euro!!

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

A local auctioneer (friend) know that the council employ a certain solicitor locally to buy houses for social as the sellers are curious who bought it. It was in a good and settled estate. The council dont normally broadcast it.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

It's worth checking if many other houses on the road have sold recently too. It can be a sign that some unwanted changes are coming.

I noticed this with one street when we were house hunting.

Checked up the city council site for planning permission and there was application granted for a 7 storey student accomodation building right at behind the road.

Advertisement