Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol for cleaning CPU

Options
  • 17-01-2021 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Where do people buy alcohol/alcohol wipes for cleaning thermal paste from CPUs?

It has to be 99% pure, right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

long_b wrote: »

Probably a bad idea but I usually use aftershave tbh. I used to use baby wipes but they don't have alcohol in then anymore afaik. Just dry them off afterwards. Never had a problem. Why 99% so it all evaporates? No residue I assume. Also use white spirit. Which is probably better.

That said I've never had a really expensive cpu or board I was super worried about.

Isopropyl alcohol is what you need, it cleans and evaporates quickly without leaving any residue on a surface.

You can probably pick it up in a local pharmacy over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Coyler

beauf wrote: »
    Probably a bad idea but I usually use aftershave tbh. I used to use baby wipes but they don't have alcohol in then anymore afaik. Just dry them off afterwards. Never had a problem. Why 99% so it all evaporates? No residue I assume. Also use white spirit. Which is probably better.

That said I've never had a really expensive cpu or board I was super worried about.

Man after my own heart. Kitchen towel sprayed with window cleaner. Perfectly fine. (Don't spray it at the CPU, if that's not obvious)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Coyler

Small tip, Isopropyl alcohol is great for removing permanent marker so it's worth having about for those type of heavy duty jobs. Other tip, don't leave permanent markers on your desk when you have young kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I guess main issue if its flammable and it leaves residue. Could be a bad combination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I got a bottle of TIMClean off Amazon a couple months back, but isopropyl from the chemist would do the same thing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BK7ATI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Z.ebGbQP6N9JM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I use 70% without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah I have been using Iso Alcohol since I built my 1st rig back when man was inventing fire and ZERO issues. I mean its not like you are pouring the stuff over components!!!

I dip cotton buds into the cap with some solution in it use one side when dirty flip it over and use the other and repeat if particularly grubby. Then use another DRY BUD to wipe off excess which there is very little to none and then good to go.

Any chemist should have 300ml bottle for about 5-8 De Niros.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah I have been using Iso Alcohol since I built my 1st rig back when man was inventing fire and ZERO issues. I mean its not like you are pouring the stuff over components!!!

I dip cotton buds into the cap with some solution in it use one side when dirty flip it over and use the other and repeat if particularly grubby. Then use another DRY BUD to wipe off excess which there is very little to none and then good to go.

Any chemist should have 300ml bottle for about 5-8 De Niros.

I had a hard time a while back trying to get my hands on some..went to 3 different chemists..they said that "they dont stock it" because it was being "abused"...i managed to get some in a german online store at the time..the "abused" thing made me shiver..wtf were people drinking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I had a hard time a while back trying to get my hands on some..went to 3 different chemists..they said that "they dont stock it" because it was being "abused"...i managed to get some in a german online store at the time..the "abused" thing made me shiver..wtf were people drinking it?

Its an Irish thing - health and safety overkill. Think you are supposed to pay multiple of the price and to get tiny quantities of purple methylated spirits.

Same when i wanted to do some Retrobrite (making old console cases white again) - wasn't able buy the Hair Salon hydrogen peroxide solution.

Both seem to be available in hardware or supermarkets in uk/usa.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah it's a common thing with chronic alcoholics, especially any of those who are supposed to be on a detox etc, they drink small bits of it because of the high alcohol percentage and the fact it's odourless. Absolutely destroys the pancreas and liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

there is a guy on ebay.ie that sells it I have most of a litre here of 99%

it's shipped from ireland and I had it within a couple of days.

You have to give full address with eircode and it has to be the same as billing details so I presume there's some sort of record kept for who is buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

there is a guy on ebay.ie that sells it I have most of a litre here of 99%

it's shipped from ireland and I had it within a couple of days.

You have to give full address with eircode and it has to be the same as billing details so I presume there's some sort of record kept for who is buying it

A litre of iso pro?...you planning on cleaning out the intel factory hehe:D

A litre of iso pro?...you planning on cleaning out the intel factory hehe:D

it's addictive!

...when you get used to adding it to other cleaners to make them twice as good at cleaning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For cleaning PCBs, 90% plus.

For cleaning an IHS? Fócking dettol would do. Really doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I've used surgical spirits myself when i couldn't source isopropyl locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

madcabbage wrote: »
    I've used surgical spirits myself when i couldn't source isopropyl locally.

I think thats the UK name for it - or sometimes also Rubbing Alcohol in USA. Same stuff - only sometimes its watered down - make sure to get high 90% and you can use it for recovering water damaged electronics (you can wash electronics no problem with alcohol to get the water out).

It should be available in Ireland as its the main ingredient to WHO's home made hand sanitiser
    https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf

I use it my IPA in a Dealz spray bottles - its really handy when you need get a sticker etc off.
    https://www.dealz.ie/324423-travel-bottle-bottle-7-pack/

- I don't use the cap of the bottle, as many do, so as not to contaminate the whole bottle with oil or whatever I'm cleaning.

oh - and I dont think its very dangerous - but I would be trying avoid getting the neat stuff and leaving it on my hands or breathing in any fumes off it. Its also of course flammable - but evaporates in seconds and leaves nothing behind so the item being cleaned is not left flammable then of course anymore.

For cleaning heat sinks - I've got some stuff from the Artic Silver guys I use - it smells like lemon :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm likely to re-do my CPU thermal contact soon and have a few technical cleanup jobs to do (keyboards, monitor etc.), so I'm interested in getting some isopropyl alcohol for that. Has anyone tried getting it in a chemist or hardware store or anything recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SeanW wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm likely to re-do my CPU thermal contact soon and have a few technical cleanup jobs to do (keyboards, monitor etc.), so I'm interested in getting some isopropyl alcohol for that. Has anyone tried getting it in a chemist or hardware store or anything recently?

Where are you based? I've a good bit of it here in the drawer. Wexford based.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Not near me, but thanks anyway. I'll look in my local chemists next week and if not, get some from Amazon or ebay or similar.

• Advertisement

The Irish guy on ebay doesn't have any at the moment. Just checked there all he has is degreasers and distilled water. Not sure how it works importing from England. Dont know would they post it here it may be controlled?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

If you're really stuck white spirits and a proper good pat down to remove the film isn't the worst for normal use by any means. used it countless times and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I've used nail varnish remover without issue before if you're really stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I buy mine in Lidl. Rachmaninov it is called I think...

It's a multitasker, can clean the gut as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

Isopropyl alcohol 1L (Foran brand) is available from either of the 2 main pharmaceutical wholesalers in the state. They offer next day delivery into any pharmacy. I have it for sale in my pharmacy, and I have a bottle at home for personal PCB use. It will likely cost you c€18 for 1L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I bought a bottle on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

Anyone ever tried using the Boots surgical spirit?

https://www.boots.ie/boots-surgical-spirit-b-p-500ml-10075125

Ingredients
    Active ingredients: Methyl Salicylate, Diethyl Phthalate, Castor Oil.
    Other ingredients: Ethanol 90%. Methanol 5% w/w.

I'm looking to clean the thermal paste on a CPU and cooler.

(Well, I'm actually trying to fit a 320mm GPU into an ITX case for a friend. The case advertises that it can fit 320mm but the opening isn't 320mm wide. It has to go in at an angle which means removing f-ing everything that could get in the way and then rebuilding the PC around the GPU)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Tin Man wrote: »
    Anyone ever tried using the Boots surgical spirit?

https://www.boots.ie/boots-surgical-spirit-b-p-500ml-10075125

Ingredients
    Active ingredients: Methyl Salicylate, Diethyl Phthalate, Castor Oil.
    Other ingredients: Ethanol 90%. Methanol 5% w/w.

I'm looking to clean the thermal paste on a CPU and cooler.

(Well, I'm actually trying to fit a 320mm GPU into an ITX case for a friend. The case advertises that it can fit 320mm but the opening isn't 320mm wide. It has to go in at an angle which means removing f-ing everything that could get in the way and then rebuilding the PC around the GPU)

Contains castor oil - doesn't sound like an ingredient that would evaporate easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

grogi wrote: »
    Contains castor oil - doesn't sound like an ingredient that would evaporate easily.

Yeah that worried me as well. I'll skip boots and just order something online

Advertisement