Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU woes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Tried turning the hardware scheduling off? Just a random thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What titles are you crashing on? And what hard drive are they running off? Have you thought that it could be your hard drive dying? or a version of your DX has a corrupted sector?

Also, agree with the windows updates f***ing everything. Maybe not hard drive specifically but could have been linked. I'm running the PC from an M.2 Drive.
    My PC updated on it's own over like 20 mins last week and before them it was running fine at a 5.2GHz OC, and XMP running RAM at 3200. After update it restarted, crashed....crashed again, wouldn't load boot screen, wouldn't run recovery without crashing. I had to do a CMOS reset (which is luckily easy with the MSI MEG Z490 Unify as there's a reset CMOS button). This was the only thing that then allowed me to restart windows. Then I had to manually reset any of my OCs and it's fine now.

Crashing on any game post 2013. Did cmos reset. Will check HDD and SDD again.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Tried turning the hardware scheduling off? Just a random thought.

Will have a look. Cheers.

By the way, just want to say thanks very much for the responses so far. It's very much appreciated.

Been onto MSI about RMA but they are telling me to contact the retailer not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Been onto MSI about RMA but they are telling me to contact the retailer not them.

Theyre right. Your rights are with the retailer.

• Advertisement

Crashing on any game post 2013. Did cmos reset. Will check HDD and SDD again.

We've nothing to point to storage medium. Wild goose chase. Same for CMOS resets unless it'd fix some magical XMP issues but again, system is normally stable so that doesn't make sense.

Run Furmark, if its stable that says the GPU cores are fine and the PSU is able to push ample juice to keep you up.

ED E wrote: »
    We've nothing to point to storage medium. Wild goose chase. Same for CMOS resets unless it'd fix some magical XMP issues but again, system is normally stable so that doesn't make sense.

Run Furmark, if its stable that says the GPU cores are fine and the PSU is able to push ample juice to keep you up.

Yeah Furmark crashed after less than two seconds

Although increasing the memory clock and core clock it runs for a lot longer. I'm very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

You need to take heed of here re bugs -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077
    i have found to trust my set up and look elsewhere first.

It took a lot of digging to find out which '90 you had, when posting a troubleshooting thread its helpful to be specific.

(Its an MSI Trio X 3090 as far as I can tell)

What was the end result of the MLCC v POSCAP drama?

pcb4-1.jpg

Although increasing the memory clock and core clock it runs for a lot longer. I'm very confused.

Are you overriding the boost by manually clocking? This could prevent the card boosting over the cards limit and crashing it.

1. Run Afterburner
    2. Set Power Limit to 90%
    3. See if you can game.

It took a lot of digging to find out which '90 you had, when posting a troubleshooting thread its helpful to be specific.

pcb4-1.jpg

Are you overriding the boost by manually clocking? This could prevent the card boosting over the cards limit and crashing it.

1. Run Afterburner
    3. See if you can game.

Will try when home.

• Advertisement

pcb4-1.jpg

1. Run Afterburner
    3. See if you can game.

Tried reduucing power limit to 90% then 85%, still crashing.

Apologies, its the MSI 3090 Trio X.

the MLCC V POSCAP? As in Furmark, i can run it on Preset: 720 (getting 320fps) Anything else crashes within 2-8 seconds.

Im hoping to have a 1200w within couple of days from a mate, see if thats a a fix of sorts. Same Corsair brand and type, just more power to it. If not, ive been onto the retailer I bought it from, but yet to hear back a reply from CCL.

I just have my doubts there's nothing else at play here. Seems odd a brand new GPU can work fine for a month, then just crash out, yet still load older games like 'Graveyard Keeper' or run windows, Netflix etc, no problem, yet crash out under a higher load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

With the higher capacity PSU it should help you rule out your own PSU as the culprit.
    Assuming its a decent quality 1200W, some of the cheaper units arent great and might be worse than what you have already, rated for 1200W and delivering about 800W.

Good luck with it, hope you get it sorted.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    With the higher capacity PSU it should help you rule out your own PSU as the culprit.
    Assuming its a decent quality 1200W, some of the cheaper units arent great and might be worse than what you have already, rated for 1200W and delivering about 800W.

Good luck with it, hope you get it sorted.

Cheers, it's a Corsair PSU, should be good quality.

What titles are you crashing on? And what hard drive are they running off? Have you thought that it could be your hard drive dying? or a version of your DX has a corrupted sector?

Also, agree with the windows updates f***ing everything. Maybe not hard drive specifically but could have been linked. I'm running the PC from an M.2 Drive.
    My PC updated on it's own over like 20 mins last week and before them it was running fine at a 5.2GHz OC, and XMP running RAM at 3200. After update it restarted, crashed....crashed again, wouldn't load boot screen, wouldn't run recovery without crashing. I had to do a CMOS reset (which is luckily easy with the MSI MEG Z490 Unify as there's a reset CMOS button). This was the only thing that then allowed me to restart windows. Then I had to manually reset any of my OCs and it's fine now.

I finally got around to tinkering more with this idea. I disabled all hard drives except for my boot SSD drive. Literally plugged the other four drives out.
    Furmark has been running grand for about 30 minutes now, zero crashes, loading steam and newer game onto boot drive. See if it loads up.

You maybe onto something here!!

Edit: yeah no joy, still crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Mate of mine went with a MSI 3090 trio X aswell the same day I got my 3090. He had alot of trouble with his out of the box, he specifically had trouble with the PCI lanes set to either AUTO or 4x in the bios......might be worth a look and see if can change the settings in there for process of elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Tbh you've a faulty card there at this stage. Same experience I had, loads of thing looking like they could be a fix but nothing actually sorting it.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Mate of mine went with a MSI 3090 trio X aswell the same day I got my 3090. He had alot of trouble with his out of the box, he specifically had trouble with the PCI lanes set to either AUTO or 4x in the bios......might be worth a look and see if can change the settings in there for process of elimination.

Switched it to Gen3 from auto. Same problem. Cheers though.

Tbh you've a faulty card there at this stage. Same experience I had, loads of thing looking like they could be a fix but nothing actually sorting it.

Cheers, probably looking that way alright. Although I've yet to hear back from ccl, been well over a week now, must just be that busy time of year and Christmas time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

See if you can get an alternative PSU to test (sorry if already tried). My mate had a Corsair PSU cause complete system shutdowns and boot cycling. Apparently there's some QC issues with them for models produced this year. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/kh3yg5/faulty_corsair_hx1200_hx1200i_psus/

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

Cyberpunk crashes they updated some of it to stop crashes but it still crashes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Dunfyy wrote: »
    Cyberpunk crashes they updated some of it to stop crashes but it still crashes

Bobbyy with the news report...

Cheers, probably looking that way alright. Although I've yet to hear back from ccl, been well over a week now, must just be that busy time of year and Christmas time off.

Have to say I really feel for you fella, I have been waiting since my new build start of August for a 30 series and if mine was belly up I would be like a fookin madman. Its unfortunate that its the time of year it is alot of places might not be back till Jan 4th.

I have heard nothing back from casekings.de in relation to my strimer plus cable that snapped...id say it be jan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

I Don't think anyone mentioned The Graphic cards Bios, have you tried to update that?

Rgds D

pogcica wrote: »
    I Don't think anyone mentioned The Graphic cards Bios, have you tried to update that?

Rgds D

Cheers. I updated this gpu hi s straight away but no joy. Thanks though.

Will have access to a ax1600i on Thursday to replace the ax860i to rule out PSU problems. Not looking forward to replacing all the cables, but must be done.

I'll let ye know how it turns out. If same problem continues, then I'm calling it GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,276 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Could be a faulty rail on the PSU, i had a similar issue years ago but rather than crash to desktop the whole thing would power cycle.

I was adamant it wasnt the PSU, but after eliminating every other component i took a leap and replaced the PSU, no more crashes.

Did not read back through the posts Vale, but are you vertically mounting the GPU?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Did not read back through the posts Vale, but are you vertically mounting the GPU?

Cant vertically mount in this case, looked at options. Could be an option with a new motherboard in New year.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Cant vertically mount in this case, looked at options. Could be an option with a new motherboard in New year.

gen4 riser cables starting at 150 euros..no thanks

• Advertisement

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    gen4 riser cables starting at 150 euros..no thanks

Cheers, I've looked at that option, but I'm using an inverted motherboard so it won't work because of case restrictions.

Advertisement