Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Old vs new. The amount of workspace is huge, feels weird thought. Only issue which I already did notice is that IPS not being light up evenly , sides and corners are darker. But its something I can live with. Now time to check some games.
    qIfj-YkaZTcO0VQDbjqqBfK4RDanud1JLfsLAM6hl_37pY1_16TjcAmmuDxGc8Q3MZu-PJuu6YEsoxvocCUePtU2fWjGhTC8WwOuT1qfDSt1zYKXtf7ou9f9y8cX7hcWjBDisY2EeYamheVEq_0-TokCyx_W_fgj4MgzxE34ja8BUquStKuPgp-uxXUVf58Q4VScdUYdvnBRg1k2L_lB6RTzQ6JjGITGYW6HmPzB2ZxNl8aKGIUvLXX7tj2haD3mCQKSBnhY_HHOspEK4Aw-TQ78qHzaEdPmVBMCUr1vHqPqlMddAMk_OKZQVI2DOhlMBgTKWchGlE-4ce-sYehT7xTFXvGLomPV-3a6Rk6yh3Bg35THeYaeM_Sl9oJVU1_ZvSsI464LhbiA3A16PlM-7O_Gmt64QK4IcjtcCQpHMBwSu_cCHDdFFJ_FeglpCBaTMOwdlGQfkO6P6YNi8YbKd90rMn5vfEldblQiW9gI3LMytEW7Eq5hVT59H-UR1UFF18zHEQeVOU2ZAStnaeuEfDB9SRIciUqiqORV-UjBW20xIH-HAxhuYO1Xn-ueZSYLwRUTkNdKTV7vTpOMnJ3abANVVSxHOjQX1ybE6fZtCgWK3nyY2WSUYYKTxk-jfoEMaJQpbdan23m_mA6wo1jp45BnC2zCu4HBNcAFjZPqA5rd6ppWsvyHWU8zqNPm9BE=w2817-h1335-no?authuser=0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hmm... seems I didn't order direct but off a company call Continental with the URL iiyama-monitors.co.uk. Seems I may have failed the 'moron in a hurry' test.

Hmm... seems I didn't order direct but off a company call Continental with the URL iiyama-monitors.co.uk. Seems I may have failed the 'moron in a hurry' test.

Erm I saw that to, but they didnt had many reviews, few fresh ones. So I did chooce Ocuk over them, the price was like to good to be thru. Hope the best.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Erm I saw that to, but they didnt had many reviews, few fresh ones. So I did chooce Ocuk over them, the price was like to good to be thru. Hope the best.

Paid for on credit card so if the worst comes to the worst...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Old vs new. The amount of workspace is huge, feels weird thought. Only issue which I already did notice is that IPS not being light up evenly , sides and corners are darker. But its something I can live with. Now time to check some games.

Image isn't showing for me?

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Image isn't showing for me?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vh1Qo9PHMRkHSak68

Please tell me that's a cover on your keyboard and not dust. :eek:

Nice! What resolution is that?

Lol I thought it better to be polite and not ask that same question. :o

Lol im kinda on the lazy side but not as much.
    Had to order that cover from usa, was surprised to see that its a thing if the past. Kinda feeling old now.

As for first impresion, I love it, now will think about bigger one. Just played few games of Hots, so muc space makes it a lot easier to play, especialy on my old eyes with crappy reflex.
    You know what they say, when You go BBM(BigBlackMonitor) you never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Skerries wrote: »

Can't figure out how to deliver here.
    *edit*
    NO, BAD KIKI. STOP TRYING TO BUY.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    NO, BAD KIKI. STOP TRYING TO BUY.

Come to the dark side.
    Order it.
    Its only two clicks away.

Coming back to the topic. Are all 5m dp cables are trash? Need to get one, see that a lot of them have problems with 1440@144hz. Would active reapeter be my only option?

Okay third time lucky I hope! Ordered the Dark Matter. Have to say the service I got from Iiyama-monitors.co.uk was top banana - emailed early this morning, called when they opened at 8.30am and they've just confirmed the cancelation and refund at 8:33am with absolutely no hassle or fuss.

I'm still waiting for a delivery date from Amazon for the G7 even though it was in stock when i ordered.

I'm still waiting for a delivery date from Amazon for the G7 even though it was in stock when i ordered.

Busy period? I did order cable yesterday, delivery to IE next Monday, Uk this Monday.
    Nice read, have to say I can agree almost to all in there.
    Pc monitors are bad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

There's no such thing as a perfect monitor. No point wasting your time looking for 1. You're always compromising but it is getting gradually better.

LCD has finally got close to catching up with where CRT's were before we decided to jump ship for an inferior technology.

OLED if they can solve the problems for PC would be great though.

BloodBath wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a perfect monitor. No point wasting your time looking for 1. You're always compromising but it is getting gradually better.

LCD has finally got close to catching up with where CRT's were before we decided to jump ship for an inferior technology.

OLED if they can solve the problems for PC would be great though.

Yeah, but I was suprised to see that even with top of the line You have to choose what option You want to have or with what issue You want to deal with.
    Now im not suprised that a friend still uses old eizo crt for her work.
    I see a lot is mowing towards the Lg CX, great piece of tech but 48", if they had 40" version maybe would go for it. For now even with all the flaws im happy with Iiyama.

It's just a limitation with the various types of LCD's. Top end LCD's can rival even oled but they aren't cheap.

You need full array backlighting which also makes the panel thick and fairly power hungry where as oled can do it with an ultra thin and low power panel.

OLED struggles with doing high refresh rates though and can suffer static image burn in like the old plasmas which is a big problem for games.

BloodBath wrote: »
    ... can suffer static image burn in like the old plasmas which is a big problem for games.

That was also a concern of mine when researching OLED tvs recently, but it's really not a problem these days, or not on decent models anyway. A decent OLED will run a screen refresh procedure when you put it in standby to eliminate any change of permanent image retention. Looking at the kinds of tests reviewers carry out (like HDTVTest), you would need to have Sky News paused on your screen 24/7 for months to have any sort of issue - never going to happen in real world usage.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That was also a concern of mine when researching OLED tvs recently, but it's really not a problem these days, or not on decent models anyway. A decent OLED will run a screen refresh procedure when you put it in standby to eliminate any change of permanent image retention. Looking at the kinds of tests reviewers carry out (like HDTVTest), you would need to have Sky News paused on your screen 24/7 for months to have any sort of issue - never going to happen in real world usage.

Rtings did a quite good test for burn in, it looks that the new Oleds are more or less more resistant to it. Ive some Sony plasma, god that thing would get a burn in just after few hours of the same image.
    Still for me the size is the overkill. 40 would be max.

• Advertisement

Resistant yes but probably still not immune to it. I have an old 50" Panasonic plasma that is resistant as well. Never had an issue gaming on it but if you play the same game often for months on end it can still get burn in. I got a bit of retention on it from playing league of legends on it for ages. The map lanes left a visible discoloration in the shape of the minimap that's still on it.

Monoprice have shipped my monitor - took about 36 hours but I suspect they got a lot of orders in a short time. Shipped with UPS which given it's 'free' shipping I give them Kudos for.

Productive way to use UW.
    I see that Mono is doing a lot of stuff now. Their headphones have good reviews, best bang for a buck.
    Y89Soi6.jpeg

It's difficult to get a handle on this UW. People raving about it on Reddit, one very in depth post saying is not bad. A Youtube video saying there is quite a bit of ghosting and I know the AOC suffers from that but the Iiyama (according to Kitguru) was better - so all in all it's been a bit of a gamble.

I have read that they're not bad with returns and the Pixel perfect warranty was a massive draw for me.

The only thing that has me worried is there was a youtube video about it where he was very positive about the monitor but then goes on to slate their peripherals - so it's good to hear the headphones are good bang for the buck.

I'll update as I go :pac:

Still waiting on the G7. :pac:

I fecking love the look of the G9 more specifically the back of it!

I fecking love the look of the G9 more specifically the back of it!

Yea. It looks amazing. I wouldn't have anywhere near the room on my desk for it.

Yea. It looks amazing. I wouldn't have anywhere near the room on my desk for it.

No me either. All the senior managers at work got 34" UW though so now I'm not feeling special anymore.

It's difficult to get a handle on this UW. People raving about it on Reddit, one very in depth post saying is not bad. A Youtube video saying there is quite a bit of ghosting and I know the AOC suffers from that but the Iiyama (according to Kitguru) was better - so all in all it's been a bit of a gamble.

I have read that they're not bad with returns and the Pixel perfect warranty was a massive draw for me.

The only thing that has me worried is there was a youtube video about it where he was very positive about the monitor but then goes on to slate their peripherals - so it's good to hear the headphones are good bang for the buck.

I'll update as I go :pac:

When I was looking for a budget music headphones a lot of people were mentioning the monoprice ones, if the monitor is done the same way I would expect a good deal on that it was.
    I think it all comes to the panel and the manufacturer as well, some randomness apply? Like GB/Iiyama getting better deal from Samsung?

• Advertisement

When I was looking for a budget music headphones a lot of people were mentioning the monoprice ones, if the monitor is done the same way I would expect a good deal on that it was.
    I think it all comes to the panel and the manufacturer as well, some randomness apply? Like GB/Iiyama getting better deal from Samsung?

I think it's all down to the Overdrive settings with Iiyama apparently setting the standard, AOC not being great and Gigabyte somewhere in the middle IIRC.

Monoprice have a Quantum Dot filter on theirs so better colours?

Edit: All this reminds me of the Catleaps a bit. First generation OC's like crazy but the later ones not so much - reading as much on Reddit. Hope they haven't made any other changes.

Advertisement