Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you can't beat um join um (Ethereum Mining Thread)

Options
  • 16-01-2021 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Okay so I've a good rate on my leccy for the next 12 months so I thought I'd give this a bash. The 5700XT looks pretty good in terms of efficiency.

I'm getting 50.5MH/s but at 180W :eek: any tips? The interwebz says 52MH/s @ 105W is doable.

Projecting about $3 a day before electric.

Edit: Electric is 13.2c per unit inc VAT.

Would my maths be correct in that 1000/180 = 5.6 Hours per unit = 4.32 units per day = 57c per day. (just on the GPU)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I don't know much tbh but afaiu memory is key for Ethereum so you want to undervolt/power-limit/downclock the core while speeding up the ram.

And yes, your maths is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

180W on the GPU is probably more like 200W at the wall. Remember if your PSU is 90% efficient (Which many arent) thats PEAK efficiency. Chances are you're not loaded to that magic number.

Those numbers seem too generous though. Current crypto prices are on fire but normally margins for Irish miners would be thinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Okay so I've a good rate on my leccy for the next 12 months so I thought I'd give this a bash. The 5700XT looks pretty good in terms of efficiency.

I'm getting 50.5MH/s but at 180W :eek: any tips? The interwebz says 52MH/s @ 105W is doable.

Projecting about $3 a day before electric.

Edit: Electric is 13.2c per unit inc VAT.

Would my maths be correct in that 1000/180 = 5.6 Hours per unit = 4.32 units per day = 57c per day. (just on the GPU)

Im afraid we will have to ban you before you get a taste for mining and attempt to buy up all the non existant stock of GPU's..just in case of course:-):p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Maths are off. Do you run that PC anyway 24/7? Presumably not. So the 180W your software is reporting is just for the card, and not taking losses into account. The whole PC is quite likely drawing something like 300W at the wall. Easy to measure with one of those watt meters (Aldi, Lidl, Amazon about a tenner)

So your electricity costs would be close to €1 per day

That's not your only costs though. You have depreciation on your parts. And you will get the occasional hardware breakage. If your GPU dies, a lot of your profits over many months would be gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yeah bit worried about burning out the GPU alright - especially with the current issues.

Contrary to popular belief, GPUs have an easy life mining (in an open rig, in a low ambient temp environment) as long as you have a good PSU. Their temps should stay around the 70C mark tops, which is nothing. Mining is very easy on the core of the GPU, it just uses its memory

In an enclosed PC, not so much. And (intense) gaming is much harder on the GPU than mining and the temps can easily go over 100C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i started mining on nicehash as well (obviously not mining per se but it's the easiest way to go for a beginner like).

currently undervolting and overclocking the GPU and running at about 63MH/s

PC is running all day anyway so not much of an issue, but decided to switch it off at night as returns not really worthwhile, and profitability seems to drop a little during the night cycles.

Get night rate electricity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Would make more sense to run it overnight tbh, means you don't have to run the heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Would make more sense to run it overnight tbh, means you don't have to run the heating.

If you have a mining machine with a custom water loop, can you also heat water for showers and sinks?

539877.png

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Heating is off at night anyway :) , to be fair PC runs incredibly cool. so very little heat coming from it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

until feed in tariffs here someone with spare solar could mine :O

I have 14 full size solar PV panels on various roofs of my house. When the sun is shining, mining is done 100% on solar. And I have a home attached battery, which stores excess PV production, which then is used later every day

I also have night rate electricity (7c/kWh for 9 hours of night rate), which in Ireland is on average 50% renewable (wind), this percentage is growing every year

Mining mostly heats my house. Despite of the above, my electricity bill is high, because of mining and because our family car is an EV. That said, my gas bills are very low as most of the space heating comes from the mining and most of the water heating comes from my 40 tube solar thermal system

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Did you join a pool? Or are you going solo? If so, what one did you join? I'm considering running this when I'm not using the PC to get some coin....or at least have what I would really value as stock with little investment and wouldn't consider much loss if I lost it all (despite the power consumption).

Pool of course. Otherwise you could be mining for 5 years and never make a cent :p

unkel wrote: »
    Pool of course. Otherwise you could be mining for 5 years and never make a cent :p

you obviously know a lot more than i do. thoughts on nicehash for the casual miner outsourcing their one and only GPU? best way to maximise returns?

You won't maximise returns by going nicehash, but it's an easy option and a good start for a beginner.

Keep an eye on the temps of your GPU though!

unkel wrote: »
    You won't maximise returns by going nicehash, but it's an easy option and a good start for a beginner.

Keep an eye on the temps of your GPU though!

Cheers. Temps after 2 weeks look fine and stable at around 71, with hotspots around 84

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Decided to just mine when I was working from home and the PC was on anyway. Keeps the room nice and warm as a bonus as it's a cold room. 5700XT Red Devil @ 66C, 83C Junction - probably need to tune that a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement