Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony A7ii: What lens(es) to buy?

Options
  • 28-07-2020 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I've just purchased a used Sony a7ii that came with a f1.8/50 lens as my first 'real' camera and am hoping to get some advice on what lenses I should be looking at as I am a newbie to all of this and a bit overwhelmed by all of the options!

I will be moving to Asia with work pretty soon and want to capture the whole experience so it will be mainly landscape and street photography, im not worried about wildlife photography at all and will do the odd portrait but probably have that covered with the f1.8/50

Things that are important to me: really crisp photos that justify not just using my phone camera, travel friendly i.e not carrying much more than a couple of lenses, reasonably affordable (budget up to 1k but ideally less!)

Any suggestions are really appreciated!

(ps i really like very wide angle landscape and street shots but would like to be able to adjust and zoom in too)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The 50 f.18 is an OK lens but there are better out there.

It seems to me that you would be a perfect fit for the 24 /f1.4 GM
    It is Sony's most affordable, smallest and lightest GM lens and with a 1.4 aperture, its really fast as well so very good in low light situations.
    It is a versatile lens as well, can do street, portraits in environmental settings and landscape/city scapes. Hell you could even do some macro and Astro photography with it if you want.

You may be able to pick it up in Asia cheaper, I don't know, as I don't know where you are going. If you are going to the USA, then definitely you can get it cheaper

Sony RRP is 1599 but you will always be able to get it cheaper.
    https://www.sony.ie/electronics/camera-lenses/sel24f14gm
    100 euro cashback on at the moment.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/sony-sel24f14gm-fe-24mm-f-1-4-gm-lens.html
    eGlobal has it for 1175, but check out other sites, like Amazon.

If you can push for it, you wont regret it at all, I promise you. An amazing overall versitile lens. I know, because I have it.

If you cant afford it, then I am not sure what else is there.
    The 35 f/2.8 Zeiss lens is really good. A very small size but nice and sharp. Its a bit cheaper than the 24 GM but its quite close to the 50mm focal length you have already.

If it were me, I would get the 24GM f/1.4 and the 85 f/1. ideally. With those two lens, you will cover pretty much all, using just two awesome very fast lens, and remember, you can put the Sony7ii into crop mode and still get a 4k image from that sensor, so your 24mm becomes a circa 35mm f/2 and the 85mm f/1.8 becomes roughly a 135 f/2.8

Have a watch off this guy, if you can get over his over-excitedness, he is an awesome travel and street photographer and he uses the 24mm ALL the time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LGMe9mH3OI
    Seeing as you are going to Asia, the 24mm f/1.4 would be an ideal match imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

im not up on Sonys but the A7 camera are lovely. Great dynamic range.
    Can you not get a E mount adaptor for Canon Lens?
    If yes you could potentially consider a Canon Lens

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

You’re likely better off waiting until you get to Asia to buy, if you’re in a Japan or Singapore then definitely better off.

skinny90 wrote: »
    im not up on Sonys but the A7 camera are lovely. Great dynamic range.
    Can you not get a E mount adaptor for Canon Lens?
    If yes you could potentially consider a Canon Lens

Sigma do good adapters, (MC-11) and there should be plenty of second-hand bodies around, as there has been a lot of different variants released in the past few years.

A Sony a7 or a7II wouldn't cost you all that much nowadays, especially second hand.

Their native glass is kinda expensive, but again, their good lenses are really really good, and often better than cannon or nikon, who are both running scared of the Sony machine eating market share with their new mirrorless offerings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dsmy7h

markodaly wrote: »
    The 50 f.18 is an OK lens but there are better out there.

It seems to me that you would be a perfect fit for the 24 /f1.4 GM
    It is Sony's most affordable, smallest and lightest GM lens and with a 1.4 aperture, its really fast as well so very good in low light situations.
    It is a versatile lens as well, can do street, portraits in environmental settings and landscape/city scapes. Hell you could even do some macro and Astro photography with it if you want.

You may be able to pick it up in Asia cheaper, I don't know, as I don't know where you are going. If you are going to the USA, then definitely you can get it cheaper

Sony RRP is 1599 but you will always be able to get it cheaper.

100 euro cashback on at the moment.

eGlobal has it for 1175, but check out other sites, like Amazon.

If you can push for it, you wont regret it at all, I promise you. An amazing overall versitile lens. I know, because I have it.

If you cant afford it, then I am not sure what else is there.
    The 35 f/2.8 Zeiss lens is really good. A very small size but nice and sharp. Its a bit cheaper than the 24 GM but its quite close to the 50mm focal length you have already.

If it were me, I would get the 24GM f/1.4 and the 85 f/1. ideally. With those two lens, you will cover pretty much all, using just two awesome very fast lens, and remember, you can put the Sony7ii into crop mode and still get a 4k image from that sensor, so your 24mm becomes a circa 35mm f/2 and the 85mm f/1.8 becomes roughly a 135 f/2.8

Have a watch off this guy, if you can get over his over-excitedness, he is an awesome travel and street photographer and he uses the 24mm ALL the time.

Seeing as you are going to Asia, the 24mm f/1.4 would be an ideal match imo.

Thanks for suggestions, I checked out the 24mm f/1.4 and the youtube video which was great but led me down a rabbit hole of things that could bankrupt me! My new shortlist to try and pick 1 lens from is:

1. Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master: looks amazing but my god is it expensive!
    2. Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 Zeiss: much more affordable but I'm not sure what you lose vs the 2.8?
    3. Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8: again seems to have great reviews but shorter range vs the sony f4
    4.Sony FE 24-105MM F/4: Looks like a decent 'all rounder'

The 24mm f1.4 looks great as well but I like the versatility of a zoom lens. This hobby could turn out alot more expensive than I originally planned!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dsmy7h

XMG wrote: »
    You’re likely better off waiting until you get to Asia to buy, if you’re in a Japan or Singapore then definitely better off.

Yep heading to Singapore so will most likely try and get a better deal on a lens there

dsmy7h wrote: »
    Thanks for suggestions, I checked out the 24mm f/1.4 and the youtube video which was great but led me down a rabbit hole of things that could bankrupt me! My new shortlist to try and pick 1 lens from is:

1. Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master: looks amazing but my god is it expensive!
    2. Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 Zeiss: much more affordable but I'm not sure what you lose vs the 2.8?
    3. Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8: again seems to have great reviews but shorter range vs the sony f4
    4.Sony FE 24-105MM F/4: Looks like a decent 'all rounder'

The 24mm f1.4 looks great as well but I like the versatility of a zoom lens. This hobby could turn out alot more expensive than I originally planned!

Again, it all depends on what you want to shoot.

I have had the Sony 16-35 f/4. Its a good lens for landscape stuff, a nice wide-angle, decent travel lens but, limited in everyday shooting.
    I upgraded to the f/2.8 version which is better, sharper corner to corner and just better in every way. But more expensive.
    I don't know anything about the Tamron.

The Sony 24-105 f/4 has a very good reputation. If you wanted just one lens to do it all, then perhaps that is it.
    Again,if it were me, i would go for the 24 f/1.4 and the 85 f/1.8 but I understand also if people just want one lens.

I like shooting primes, but that is me, zoom lens are handy though for shoot and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I will throw my tuppence in.
    I was in Japan last year and had the Sony A7iii with me.
    you could look at the following
    35mm Samyang f/2,8 lovely pancake lens
    The Tamron 28/75 This is a great value lens.
    Both of these were all that I used over there.

Yodobashi Camera or Bic camera are great shops to look for equipment, Bring your passport for tax free shopping at the till and using your credit card will give you a further 5% discount.

Advertisement