Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FedEx Duty & Invoice Tax?

Options
  • 12-09-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭

I ordered an item a couple of weeks ago from overseas and, this morning, I got a letter through the door telling me I have to pay a Duty & Tax fee of €50

I can only assume this is commonplace with them -- only I had no idea. The last time I was charged for something like this, I had to pay upfront before I could take my item.

In this case, my item was already here a week before this invoice came.

How long do they allow the consumer to pay for the charge? I couldn't find any info on FedEx's website.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They have paid out VAT/Duty on your behalf, I would think they would expect payment straight away. I honestly don't understand why the do it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

whiterebel wrote: »
    They have paid out VAT/Duty on your behalf, I would think they would expect payment straight away. I honestly don't understand why the do it this way.

Ah for god's sake. I would've rathered they were upfront about this. For a company as big as them, this is a very sleekit practice

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I presume you mean sneaky or similar. Its not sneaky - you should know if Vat/Duty is going to be payable. Its a really stupid practice to not advise beforehand and collect COD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

whiterebel wrote: »
    I presume you mean sneaky or similar. Its not sneaky - you should know if Vat/Duty is going to be payable. Its a really stupid practice to not advise beforehand and collect COD.

Well, I didn't know. I have never ordered something overseas and had an duty tax come in later. I have always had my custom charges brought to my attention first hand.

I have never had this happen to me, and I've been ordering things from abroad for the past 6 years or so.

They didn't tell me and it came unexpected, so I regard that as very sneaky. "Surprise, you owe us money" instead of "you may be charged duty tax for this order" like every other item I buy from a foreign location.

It isn't anywhere on the invoice of the item I paid for.

Regardless, I'll just have to pay it, I guess

Advertisement