Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst courier experience?

Options
  • 17-06-2019 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What's been your absolute worst courier experience? With what courier?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

What's been your absolute worst courier experience? With what courier?

Thanks.

What's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

What's yours?

Hi PS. None immediately come to mind.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Engaged DPD Online to collect two parcels in Edinburgh and deliver them to Cork. One arrived, (albeit 10 days later than expected) one ended up at an address in Uttoxeter. The good people in Uttoxeter contacted me to tell me and I notified DPD of same. Firstly they tried to convince me that it had been delivered to me as my wife had signed for a parcel not knowing that there was supposed to be two and they later claimed that the company in Edinburgh had only released one parcel. A copy of a signed dispatch docket sorted that one out.
    They eventually began an 'investigation' and promised to pick up the parcel. A week or so later I engaged Parcelforce to collect as it was still sitting there, getting in the way of an increasingly annoyed person in Uttoxeter, and DPD couldn't find it !!

This has been going on for about three months now and yesterday I received another mail from them claiming that they're still looking for my parcel - this despite me telling them that I have it and had to pay another courier to collect it. They're bone useless and next to impossible to make contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I live rural and anything thats delivered by fastway i treat like a missing person hunt

They regularly leave it at the local shop or hardware store and dont bother to tell you.

I had started a row with them about something that was allegedly delivered they contacted the company that sent it and they refunded me.

A week or so later I was in the shop and collected said package. it's still waiting to go back that was about a year and a half ago

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Anything that involves Fastway doesn't end well. From clearly marked 'Fragile' packages being thrown into the porch from the van, to deliveries being left at different houses, big packages being left on the doorstep for anyone to see or take, next day delivery being a week late and everything in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I get a lot of crap delivered - have had various issues time to time with An Post, DPD, FedEx and the big lads

Fastway is a whole other world of shít though, don't think I've ever had a straightforward delivery from those absolute chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Delivery guy never rang my doorbell,got the notice and went down to the depot and the package can't be found! apologies from an post and delivery set for next day and again delivery man didn't ring my door bell.I had to go down to the depot again but thankfully my parcel was there.only delivery guy I have ever had a problem with.

I sent a package via DPD, person at the other end said never got it, so I ask DPD for proof of delivery.

They sent a scan of the signature. It was

"left in shed"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

A fastway courier once phoned me to find out where my house is. I tried to save him the hassle of finding it by asking him to drop it to my mothers work place, which is a large business on the outskirts of a big town. He refused, because he was already gone past the place, but couldn’t grasp that it would be much quicker to drive back the mile than to drive several miles off the main road to get to my house.
    Then he told me where he lived and suggested I call into him for the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Every delivery by fastway has been a disaster. if buying online and they use fastway
    > cancel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Fastway, absolute disaster, leave packages at side of house out in the rain also left one in my recycling bin only found by luck, they dont even notify you when they leave it there. Would never use this company but unfortunetly i have no choice if i get stuff delivered, how do they get away with this service. Complete disaster of a delivery company from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Fastway, absolute disaster, leave packages at side of house out in the rain also left one in my recycling bin only found by luck, they dont even notify you when they leave it there. Would never use this company but unfortunetly i have no choice if i get stuff delivered, how do they get away with this service. Complete disaster of a delivery company from my experience.

I mean it's gotten to the stage that you could make money from them, if you were scummy, and getting companies to resend items you claim were not delivered and selling the supplementary delivery.

I've tried to send stuff back to amazon, when couriers "lose" only to deliver the original AND the follow up. Amazon have never questioned by claims of non delivery and, for smaller items, not even bothered to get them sent back.

DPD and Fastway are nightmares. Fastway left a very expensive delivery in the local shop, without ever telling me, and I was new to the area so the shop did not have a clue who the parcel was for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I have had PC components left out in the rain on 2 occasions LST year with fast way with a note on the delivery tracker saying "left in shed". I dont own a shed or even a garden.. I got the items replaced but it was a big waste of my time and money on Amazon's part. Never a single issue with any other courier or An Post.

I'd imagine Fastway must loose a lot of money, I've heard of loads of people having similar issues with them both on here and real life.

killanena wrote: »

I'd imagine Fastway must loose a lot of money, I've heard of loads of people having similar issues with them both on here and real life.

It’s hard to see how they’re still in business really. I also looked very hard for a contact number for their depot one day, but couldn’t find it online. I’d say they removed it to get a break from taking complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

jlm29 wrote: »
    It’s hard to see how they’re still in business really. I also looked very hard for a contact number for their depot one day, but couldn’t find it online. I’d say they removed it to get a break from taking complaints

Probably....plus the routes are franchised as far as I remember so each route is technically owned by a self employed driver. To be fair though, I have gone to the depot in Ballymount to collect packages and the warehouse lads were always very helpful.

Problem with this is the gig economy, those drivers are under stupid pressures from the company so it's hard for them to give a crap. They MUST "deliver"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

Geesh, Fastway sure seem dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

DPD just left a €300 Stihl machine, in the manufacturers box so obvious as to what it is, outside my front door & they signed for it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Just an update on my wonderful DPD experience as detailed earlier..

Last week they send me an email looking for documentation (costs / invoice / value of goods etc). I reply telling them , once again, that all I want is a refund on what I paid them for a service they didn't deliver. I even send them the link to their own invoice !!
    Today I get another email saying that they've closed my claim as I didn't supply the necessary details and documentation within their timeframe !! The only documentation that actually applies is their own Invoice FFS !!! I've replied to them again anyway in as basic and simplistic English that I could muster.

I can't believe that one company could employ so many stupid people. I've had mails from at least four, if not five different people, none of whom seem to grasp what I'm looking for.. That's not even counting the stupid drivers and depot operatives that lost my parcel and then couldn't find it despite me giving them the address of where they left it in the first place !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I and family members get a fair bit delivered. An Post sometimes lose stuff, DPD has damaged items. Never had a problem with fastway though.

I ordered something online on thur morning, and fastway delivered it yesterday morning at 8.50. Just a text to tell me it was behind the wall. I wasn’t at home, and I was a bit anxious for the few hours in case it might be behind someone else’s wall, but it wasn’t. I take it all back!

I'm sorry but are we happy that our property is abandoned in the open now?
    That's a measure of success?

I'm sorry but are we happy that our property is abandoned in the open now?
    That's a measure of success?

In comparison to my last experience with fastway “I’m at home for my lunch until two o clock, call in and get your package from me if you want it”, I consider leaving my package inside my wall to be a huge success. To be fair, there was nobody there, I live in the countryside, and we have a big dog. No one was going to see or steal my package, and it wasn’t going to be weather damaged anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

The drivers you are talking about are all "employed" by these companies but are not as they are all actually self employed but cannot chose when they work or what they do, they are fined if late for work or go sick, have to arrange a driver to cover holidays etc, these global companies charge you the maximum possible and pay these lads the least possible and you expect them to give a fk where your parcel is.........

soundman45 wrote: »
    The drivers you are talking about are all "employed" by these companies but are not as they are all actually self employed but cannot chose when they work or what they do, they are fined if late for work or go sick, have to arrange a driver to cover holidays etc, these global companies charge you the maximum possible and pay these lads the least possible and you expect them to give a fk where your parcel is.........

Yes, actually. I do expect a delivery driver who is paid to deliver packages to care where they end up. If they don’t care, I expect the person who pays them (and I don’t mean the owner of the courier company, I mean the person who is selling whatever I bought online) to go and find a more reliable courier who does give a s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

Had a package delivered by DHL on Monday and they left it on the window cill, despite saying they would put it in the green bin. Collected it this morning ok, which shows I have honest neighbours, but I don't know what about DHL. Maybe the fact that I paid the customs charge from China immediately, and also an extra unknown and unexpected charge to DHL, without complaint, means they think I must be soft in the head.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

plodder wrote: »
    Had a package delivered by DHL on Monday and they left it on the window cill, despite saying they would put it in the green bin. Collected it this morning ok, which shows I have honest neighbours, but I don't know what about DHL. Maybe the fact that I paid the customs charge from China immediately, and also an extra unknown and unexpected charge to DHL, without complaint, means they think I must be soft in the head.

"Extra unknown" charge is usually Customs Clearance charge which needs to be done to bring goods in from outside the EU. Its usually €12.50-15.00

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

whiterebel wrote: »
    "Extra unknown" charge is usually Customs Clearance charge which needs to be done to bring goods in from outside the EU. Its usually €12.50-15.00
    There was two extra charges. One was VAT/customs duty that I was expecting and the second was some unexplained "advance charge" or something but charged by DHL themselves. DHL shouldn't be imposing extra charges like that. When they accepted the package in China, they knew that it would need to clear customs in Ireland, so whatever other charges from their side should have been included in the upfront charge to the sender, except for the taxes/duties themselves. in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Just out of curiosity, where would you like them to leave these things? You guys ordered them, you know they are arriving and you know your not going to be home. Drivers don't have to ring you, most don't get company phones.

Is it to much hassle to leave a note or something or use Parcel motel?

I live in a apartment block I've zero chance of ever getting my packages so I deliver to work or I use the local Parcel Motel.

Advertisement