Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in New York

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

GSpoon wrote: »
    its the spot for all the fake designer bags and (tiffany) jewellery!

grand thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Just back from New York. We went to an outlet called Tinton Falls, Jersey Shore outlets. This was about an hour+ out of the city, but its well worth it, there are loads og great shops, and not full to the brim with tourists as its far out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MadelineNYC

Well I originally visited this board for the opposite purpose, to find shopping suggestions for Dublin. Since I'm from New York I can't resist adding a post to this thread...

Macy's: really overrrated, hot, crowded and dumpy in parts. There are far nicer department stores....

Lord &Taylor: Nicer selection than Macy's, nicer atmosphere. Somewhere between Macy's and Bloomingdale's in terms of price. Much more pleasant than Macy's.

If you are looking for desiginer jeans and willing to pay full price, go to the Co-Op floor of Barney's...the staff are very helpful with finding the right style and size for your shape.

For designer jeans at a discount:
    Loehman's, Filene's Basement (I think the one on Union Square is best) and Century 21. I've seen 7 for All Mankind, AG, Joe's Jeans, Paige, J. Brand etc...It's hit and miss in terms of the exact styles and sizes, of course.

other favorite stores you may or may not have heard of:

Brooklyn Industries: something you don't see everywhere, great hoodies, handbags, messenger and laptop bags, t-shirts, tops etc. Very hip. There's one on Lafayette in NoHo. There's also one a bit south of Union Square. Both men's and women's. Would be a great place to buy a gift for a younger, stylish guy.

UniQlo: in SoHo. Three floors of both men's and women's. Sort of like a Japanese version of Gap, but more interesting than Gap and better quality, I think.

InterMix and Scoop:
    Branches all over the city. Expensive and trendy.

Anthropologie:
    Feminine, bohemian, whimsical...several branches throughout the city. I like the one in SoHo on West Broadway. They sell both their own lines and other brands like AG Jeans, Ella Moss, Splendid t-shirts, Joe's Jeans etc

Sigerson Morrison:
    high-end shoes from NYC designers. In Nolita..

I also highly recommend getting out of the main tourist areas like Times Square, 34th st. and visiting places like the Lower East Side, Nolita, West Soho, the Meatpacking District etc etc and just browsing all sorts of fun boutiques.

ABC Carpet:
    Not clothing, but it's an amazing place to visit. 6 floors of furniture, antiques, gifts, knicknacks, jewelry, art, home decor, crafts...It's probably the most beautiful store I've ever been in...Like a fantasyland. They have a tapas restaurant, a chocolate bar and a bakery.

Here's a good website for the latest on NY shopping. They have current info on sales, including sample sales:
    http://nymag.com/shopping/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

myself and my boyf are heading over for a week tomorrow morning!

im very excited i have to say, i'll be going to woodbury common!

thanks for all the info here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 unugh

New York is the best place to shop:I would hate to go without money :(

For men my favourite stores are:
    Odin - By far the best store iv been in.Stocks my favourite mens designer Robert Geller.Enough of an incentive for me and loads more.I think I went there everyday.Owners brother is Richard Chai a womens/mens designer to watch out for.

Den - Neighbour too Odin.A concept store that dedicates 2 months(?) too a particular designer.Previously Robert Geller,Common Projects,Shipley & Halmos and soon to be Richard Chai for ss09

Opening Ceremony - A bit hipster-ish but has a good selection from :Patrik Ervell,Acne,Band Of Outsiders too higher end womens like Rodarte,Marios Schwab,Peter Pilotto .. a lot of stuff you wont find anywhere else.

Oak - Patrik Ervell,Acne,5th Avenue Shoe Repair loads of others.

Acne - on Greene St , took over the sadly defunct Cloak store..obviously not as good but still worth checking out.

AMAZING BUT INTIMIDATING/RIDICULOUSLY PRICED STORES:
    Atelier NY - A niche store in New York that sells avant garde menswear like - Damir Doma,Comme Des Garcon H+,Attachment,Ann Demeulemeester.Intimidating place.

Rick Owens - First boutique in America.His tank tops/t-shirts are probably the most affordable things,buts its nice to see his other garments just too look in awe at the construction/textures.

Barneys - Well theres the Co-op thats kind of ok for price.The runway collection part is usually a pretty solid buy.Its like a million floors though.

Seven New York - Kind of too wierd too get away with in Dublin,has stuff like hyped guy Gareth Pugh,Raf Simons,Preen,Juun J...wouldnt bother since you cant wear that stuff here.

IF Boutique - Has an amazing CDG H+ buy.Other worthwhile designers too.

Suppose Uniqlo is alright...its better than all the A+F,Hollister **** ppl buy ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Chanel. I never, ever fail to pass up that store.

Also, a wicked store called What Comes Around..Goes Around. The Patricia Field store is excellent for vintage looks and one off pieces, so check it out.

And, veer off into Soho, the boutiques down there are amazing!

i've been looking on googlemaps trying to find some good shopping streets other than times square, 5th ave, etc.. im thinking around Soho, Union Square, the village ..anywhere good there for shopping?

i noticed broadway in Soho looks good.. i wont be buying designer, just the likes of Quicksilver, Old Navy, Abercrombie etc thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

*Dallas wrote: »
    i've been looking on googlemaps trying to find some good shopping streets other than times square, 5th ave, etc.. im thinking around Soho, Union Square, the village ..anywhere good there for shopping?

i noticed broadway in Soho looks good.. i wont be buying designer, just the likes of Quicksilver, Old Navy, Abercrombie etc thanks

Herald Square. It has Macy's and the Manhattan Mall.

Also try Columbus Circle http://www.shopsatcolumbuscircle.com/go/dirListing.cfm?CurrCat=2138211081

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I wonder if posts like this will be as common for the next few years? It's amazing what a difference 6 months has made>

dont quiet get 'cha overmantle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

*Dallas wrote: »
    dont quiet get 'cha overmantle!

I think she (he?) was refering to the recession and the fact that the dollar is getting stronger again. There won't be as many people who can afford trips to New York and those who do go there won't be able to buy as much.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I'll be in NYC for a flying visit (1 1/2 days) on my way to Texas early next month, so very pleased with all your suggestions for shops to visit, thanks everyone!

Going to go to Sephora and Bloomingdales and Forever 21, and we'll see what i can pack in after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Macy's is terrifying but I got a beautiful pair of shoes there with the 11% tourist discount thing.

Just one place I loved, it's a tiny shop called Alcone. I got some fabulous make up there and a load of brushes. The brushes are so so cheap and are actually really really great. I thought it was really worth a visit if you want anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Sorry to be asking something kind of non-New York but I am going to be in NYC and then Vegas this summer and wonder if anyone has experience of shopping in Vegas? Fashion City seems to have all the stores, but I just don't want to find it a disappointment and regret not buying in New York.

Sorry to be asking something kind of non-New York but I am going to be in NYC and then Vegas this summer and wonder if anyone has experience of shopping in Vegas? Fashion City seems to have all the stores, but I just don't want to find it a disappointment and regret not buying in New York.

Vegas is amazing for shopping. You have the Fashion Show Mall, then there's the Forum Shops at Caesers, Miracle Mile, the Premium Outlet Malls if you're into that sorta thing. Town Square is also just a bus ride away. They have everything mainstream that NYC has. I've been to both. Anymore Vegas shopping q's, just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭cacio

Vegas is the best for shopping!
    I wont pack much going there as I know I'll buy loads. It's got everything you'd want and more. I've been to both as well and would prefer Vegas to NY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

a question for anyone who has been to woodbury common.judging by the amount of stores on the website, id say ill be buying a lot of stuff.my only worry is how the hell do i cart all the bags back on the bus.nearly considering bringing a gym bag or something.has anyone done this/any tips??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

jbl123 wrote: »
    I think she (he?) was refering to the recession and the fact that the dollar is getting stronger again. There won't be as many people who can afford trips to New York and those who do go there won't be able to buy as much.

And who knows, with the government desperate for money, the customs here might actually start enforcing the duty free limit of €175 per passenger !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

heyjude wrote: »
    And who knows, with the government desperate for money, the customs here might actually start enforcing the duty free limit of €175 per passenger !

heading over myself next week.
    hope you're wrong *crosses fingers*

• Advertisement

df1985 wrote: »
    a question for anyone who has been to woodbury common.judging by the amount of stores on the website, id say ill be buying a lot of stuff.my only worry is how the hell do i cart all the bags back on the bus.nearly considering bringing a gym bag or something.has anyone done this/any tips??

People often bring wheelie suitcases. You would certainly not look out of place with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

going to NY in the morning.heard macys give a tourist discount when you show your passport.any other stores do this?? dont want to miss out!

going to NY in the morning.heard macys give a tourist discount when you show your passport.any other stores do this?? dont want to miss out!

Bloomingdales too as far as I remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 celica00wd

Pythia wrote: »
    People often bring wheelie suitcases. You would certainly not look out of place with one.

Do my shopping in the US every year since 2002. Been to Boston, NY, San Fran, Vegas and Chicago....

Every visit to the outlet mall i bring a wheelie suitcase....its what everyone does,you dont look out of place the only problem is negotiating the small stores without hopping off other people!!!! well worth it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 celica00wd

Vegas shopping has to be up there with the best of em. Theres a shopping centre just down the strip across the road from the Venetian and the Wynn called Fashion Show, one of the best mallls ive been too. Ceasars, where we stayed had a mall called the forum shops with everything from Abercrombie and Fitch to Versace....unreal! then theres two outlet malls to choose from, i went to the Las Vegas Premium Outlets, owned by the same people that have Woodbury Common, also super for shopping! all the same stuff that will be in the new york outlets will be in the vegas ones. If theres something you see on high street in New York BUY IT! although i got caught....:( bought a ralph lauren jacket for myself at home cost me €260, my dad liked it so i told him id get him one in he states. Saw it in Macys, for $120 so i got it. then went to the outlet mall and the exact same jacket was $69.99. SICKENED!!!! My motto would be buy it, have no regrets....but Vegas will not dissapoint shopping wise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I'm just back and would agree with what you said about Las Vegas Premium Outlets (where I spent a small fortune) and Fashion Show Mall (where I spent another small fortune, loving Ruehl!). Both places were great, and to put them in comparison, we stopped off at Jersey Gardens at the end of our trip (before leaving car back to Newark, a few miles away), and to say I was underwhelmed doesn't begin to describe it, as far as I was concerned. I'd rather shop in The Square! The A&F and Holister stores were the worst - thick lumberjack shirts and horrible hoodies were the order of the day, and there was hardly a tee-shirt in either place, although at least you didn't have to put up with dancing staff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am heading to Boston in december, any tips..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

Just back from a trip over.

Thought jersey gardens was pretty poor being honest. I found the walk in atlantic city to be good for shopping. I really don't know why anyone buys RL stuff in brown thomas when its a quarter of the price in the outlet and they have practically everything bt has.

Saks on 5th ave in new york were doing a good sale. Got presents in abercrombie, never seen queues so long in there before.

Has anyone been to canal st? I took a trip down this year. wasnt overly impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Hi all, off to NYC in a few months and just wondering about shopping....

...I'm not a fan of A&F, Hillister etc. I like unusual, funky stuff and enjoy the odd bit of goth, retro and cyber wear (as well as cute dresses!) Is NYC good for this kind of shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

there is a brand desigual that has loads of unusual clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

Desigual has some great things but it's actually a Spanish brand and it might be more expensive in the States. For something a bit different than the typical A+F and Hollister you could try Brooklyn Industries. Several branches in NYC one near Soho. Right next door is Triple 5 Soul. They have great hoodies and other interesting things for both men and women...much better than the A+F hoodies. A bit south on the same street is Screaming Mimi's which has both new and vintage stuff, some of which would fit the goth bill. Another one to visit in soho is Yellow Rat Bastard. You could google for more details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

What about plus size clothes?Is there a good selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

I'm going to be in new york in about 3 weeks time, but unfortunately I'm not going to have much time for shopping, only about a day and 1/2 at most.

The thing is I will be in toronto at the end of the trip so I'm wondering should I do all of my shopping in new york or will I get better value in toronto??

btw I'm looking for the usual things-clothes,bags,shoes,make-up. no brand in particiular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Going in 2 weeks. Im bringing a big suitcase with enough clothes for 2 days and buying the rest over there. The only thing im worried about it on the way back. What are the rules on bringing clothes and jewelery back? Im getting the other half some jewelery. If i put it in my carry on lugage will that be ok? If i cut all the labels and throw away the reciepts is it definite i dont have to pay anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I found Toronto a bit more expensive with the exchange rate. A while since I was there but there is a very large shopping centre in the city centre that has most shops such as A&F and Old Navy. Much more relaxing to look around. You should def have a look in Macys in NY though and consider going to Woodbury too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mam1

For the person who wants to know about plus size shopping in NY most shops carry a plus size dept such as Macys Blommingdales Bergdorfs for dressy then you have Old Navy, Tommy Hilfiger for casual gear,all the sports stores carry their brands to larger sizes(Reebok Nike and Addidas)Modells is a good sports store for this Country Seat carries all the denim ranges to large sizes like Levi Wrangler etc. You can get plus size Juicy Couture in Blommys which is fab and gives a tourist discount of 11% as does Macys(basically you get the tax back)Also check out the discount stores on 7th avenue like Vilenes basement and Tj max and the Burlington Coat Company is always good for a look see(sells all types of clothes not just coats)Hope this post helps you out if I can think of any more I will post again.BTW remember to try everything on the US sizes are way bigger than ours and you may not need plus size at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

bring a suitcase with wheels i did that for jersey gardens and boy was i glad.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

Just wondering what is the best way to get out there - I see the website for Woodbury Common even suggest travel by helicopter!!

Which has been the tried and tested way for boardies!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mrssummer

M007 wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the best way to get out there - I see the website for Woodbury Common even suggest travel by helicopter!!

Which has been the tried and tested way for boardies!

Thanks

We always got the bus from the port authorty & found it fine. You can buy the tickets from the grey line sales persons (men in red jackets) around times square or outside the port authority building . Takes about an hour to get there. Helicopter sounds great though if you can afford it !

Make sure you rent out the lockers. We didn't know about it the first time we were there and had to go home early when we couldn't carry the bags any longer :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

Hi I was there last year and stayed in jersey City just accross the water. Newport mall is a nice roomy place to shop not crowded like Manhatten. All the big stores there. Only one or two stops on the path train. Went to outlet mall but bought very little but bought tons in Newport. Also no tax on clothes in Jersey City so cheaper. I had a ball and would go back in a flash if only I had the money.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

I bought a large bag on wheels for 10 dollars. Had to arms could not take anymore. Just wheeled it around shops and filled it no prob. Everything is so cheap its hard not too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

Hi
    Any one know anything about the Tanger Riverhead outlets in Long Island .would welcome advice or opinions on how it compares with Woodbury Common or the one (garden plaza? ) in NJ:confused:
    Many thanks:)
    mv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Off to New York on Wednesday :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Hope you enjoyed it. How did it go?

dungeon wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed it. How did it go?

Best week of my life :) New York is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

theres a place on Long Island roughly 1 hours train journey away and its great,got all designer gear for nextto nothin.Cant remember what its called ,its through a local connection that i found out.GOOD Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Woodbury was great if you have money to spend! Well obviously! Over 220 designer stores there and many more kind of 'brand' names. You get good discounts! I found SoHo to be good for shopping too! Have Fun

Mary007 wrote: »
    Woodbury was great if you have money to spend! Well obviously! Over 220 designer stores there and many more kind of 'brand' names. You get good discounts! I found SoHo to be good for shopping too! Have Fun

Soho is brilliant, I loved it, definitely my favourite! Topshop and Urban Outfitters are there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rubyrua

Is topshop \ urban outfitters any cheaper in NY then here\london?

Any nice dress shops in NY?:(

I was told by a friend that Topshop is really expensive in NY but I love it so I didn't care! Went armed with a credit card and just picked up whatever I wanted. I spent between six and seven hundred dollars in there and got two dresses, a pair of leggings, a pair of jeans, a blazer, about ten t-shirts (one from Topshop Boutique which was expensive on it's own), a bag and some jewelery.
    When I got home and saw the credit card bill, I couldn't believe it! All of that had just come to slightly over four hundred euro!

Urban Outfitters is cheaper though. There are some film cameras in the one in Dublin priced at between sixty and eighty euro and I got one for forty dollars, yay! The clothes are cheaper too. All the cool t-shirts were only around fifteen dollars!

As for dresses, I bought a really cool one in Forever 21 for twenty dollars and I wore it out one night here and have never had so many people ask me where I got something from! :) So I say check out there 'cause there are loads of dresses and it is cheap too!

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    Soho is brilliant, I loved it, definitely my favourite! Topshop and Urban Outfitters are there :)

Urban Outfitters is not really SoHo, more east village.

Advertisement