Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage MMA

Options
  • 26-10-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Can you compete in mma in Ireland at 13 years old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Jesus I hope not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I know some shows had teen bouts (I'm not sure just how young though) with shin guards and no head shots on the ground but I haven't seen any compete in awhile.

OP nothing wrong with going to your local club and training for a few years before you compete, which you'd be doing ordinarily if you were older.

There are lots of young teens in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Nothing to say you can't, but the rules would be diluted down, no ground and pound, shin pads etc
    Jesus I hope not

Why? MMA must be the only sport that has this attitude, all martial arts allow competition from far younger, Boxing starts competing at 11, TKD, Judo etc much younger

James Gallagher was fighting from 13 and wouldn't be where he is now if he hadn't as was Luke Caffrey and several other lads around on the scene.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The League has a teens division. Limited rules etc.

Gallagher fought with headshots and small gloves as a teen. Personally I don't agree with this, but this **** happens when the sport isn't regulated. It probably varued from show to show.

Gumbi wrote: »
    The League has a teens division. Limited rules etc.

Gallagher fought with headshots and small gloves as a teen. Personally I don't agree with this, but this **** happens when the sport isn't regulated. It probably varued from show to show.

Kids compete in all areas of MMA from far younger in other arts, Boxing 11 and in kickboxing seems to be no lower age limit, judo tkd etc all very young, there is no Ground and Pound in teen MMA and that's the only thing they cant compete in, in other sports, and there is no leg locks allowed either with teens

MMA sparring gloves are the equivalent of 10oz Boxing gloves as most the weight of boxing glove isn't in the knuckle were most the weight of mma spar glove is, also it is very worth nothing from a reffing point of view we are extra strict at stopping teen matches and usually stop submissions if an arm is extended for example, I seriously don't understand why anyone would think teens should not be able to compete, to me it says the sport we are doing is inherently bad. It's not it is just like any other combat sport and if anything more controlled than most.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    Kids compete in all areas of MMA from far younger in other arts, Boxing 11 and in kickboxing seems to be no lower age limit, judo tkd etc all very young, there is no Ground and Pound in teen MMA and that's the only thing they cant compete in, in other sports.

MMA sparring gloves are the equivalent of 10oz Boxing gloves as most the weight of boxing glove isn't in the knuckle were most the weight of mma spar glove is, also it is very worth nothing from a reffing point of view we are extra strict at stopping teen matches and usually stop submissions if an arm is extended for example, I seriously don't understand why anyone would think teens should not be able to compete, to me it says the sport we are doing is inherently bad. It's not it is just like any other combat sport and if anything more controlled than most.

I fully support teens competing, I was just surprised to see a teens match without any gear, pretty sure headshots when grounded were allowed too but not certain.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Kids compete in all areas of MMA from far younger in other arts, Boxing 11 and in kickboxing seems to be no lower age limit, judo tkd etc all very young, there is no Ground and Pound in teen MMA and that's the only thing they cant compete in, in other sports.

I fully support teens competing, I was just surprised to see a teens match without any gear, pretty sure headshots when grounded were allowed too but not certain.

Gumbi wrote: »

As far as i know he fought an adult under Adult rules, wouldn't happen on any of the well known shows or any show i was part of. basically it wasn't a teen rule fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I know this is not an answer to your question.

But out of interest , how long have you been training. Or if the question was not for you in particular how long has the 13 year old you are enquiring about training?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 A1B2C3D4E5

Only about 2 months I know I couldn't compete already but I was just wondering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 A1B2C3D4E5

But out of interest , how long have you been training.
    only about two months I know I couldn't compete already but I was just wondering

Advertisement