Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Hairdresser in Limerick

• 19-06-2006 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

Looking for name of a good hairdresser in Limk (cut and colour wise). have to move on from last girl as she cannot understand the difference between a TRIM and a CUT - and hair is eventually growing back so would appreciate a recommendation!!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fashion guru

I would strongly recommend Amanda Whittome of Bellissimo, Dock Road, Limerick. She has won several international awards for Ireland and you are guaranteed satisfaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

I would recommend the Ivory Hair Salon in Cathedral Place in Limerick City. Get either Greg Moran or Galvin Kiely to style your hair. Greg usually styles my hair he's very good and knows the difference between a trim and a cut ;)

About a year a ago i had waist length black hair until i went to a hair dressers in Patrick street. I wanted my hair Elvira style (short on top and left long) She cut it short at the back, up to my neck and left it long in the front. It was horrible!
    I had to cut it all off :(

If i went to FAS they would have done a better job! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

i was real picky when i moved to limerick and tried 2 hairdressers before going to halo (roches st) and i honestly never looked back. i cant remember my hairdressers name off the top of my head (she was a senior stylist) but i know that i got my colour done with pauline, one of the directors and it was always amazing.
    loved the place and really miss it since i moved back to nz! :(

www.halo.ie is their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭UnReg123

I love Bellissimo, can't beat the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

There's a lot of haggling for business going on in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

I highly reccomend Fusions in the Grove Island Centre in Corbally. Pauline there is a gem, she has a great eye for colour and cutting and will do exactly as asked, will also give her opinion. I have enough faith in her that I have given her a free rein with my hair more than once.
    And to make things better, there's also free parking in the multi-story at Island Grove, every little saving counts witht the way things are right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

Katie33 wrote: »
    Highly recomended - La Chocolate!!!!
    New opened hair studio basement on Sarsfield Street. You must ask for Eva!!! She is brillant with color and cut, and this head massage she is doing during the wash, wow:)))
    Girls they're serving hot chocolate for free!!!

Eek!! I have to disagree with you. Went in for an upstyle in December.....1 hour and 20 minutes later I came out with a head full of hairspray, and my nerves were shot. Was getting it done for a wedding on a Monday, and said I'd give it a try as alot of places close on Mondays. Worst experience ever, the girl put my hair up and took it back down about 6 times, and she didn't know how to do a knot. Disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tinytina

I have to second (or third!) Amanda in Melo Yelo. Found her last year, and won't go anywhere else now. My hair just 'sits right' after her cuts, and even a couple of weeks after the cut is still stylish and manageable. It doesn't just look good leaving the salon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 guest00

I cannot racall when visit to hairdress was such a horrible experience like visit in IVORY! :mad: I spent ther over 21/2hr for cut&colour -my new record :mad:. Service there is a joke! I nearly lost my scalp while washing out (the girl missed her career path- she should become butcher), I got cold, a towel which fell on the floor was put back on my shoulders :eek: ... wait, oh yeah, I was offered a cup of tea...when I was close to get a drier, dry my hair myself and run out of there as soom as possible.... One thing I'm happy about is colour, cut not 2bad, but nothing realy to be impressed with. And all of that for a #'!!# EURO!!? -never again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Ivicia

I'm looking for a good colourist in the Limerick area prefeable one who has won a few awards as I have found these really know what your hair is able for.

I have dyed brown hair and want to move away from block colour but not necessarliy hi lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A friend of mine swears by Marbles. She always comes out with wonderful haircuts/colour. http://www.hughcampbellhairgroup.com/location.htm Dunno the name of her stylist though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 guest20009

I have to second (or third!) Amanda in Melo Yelo. Found her last year, and won't go anywhere else now. My hair just 'sits right' after her cuts, and even a couple of weeks after the cut is still stylish and manageable. It doesn't just look good leaving the salon.
    My hair sat right after i left the salon because I HAD NONE LEFT! Scalped.

I went to her after reading all the positive posts that were on here. I was sure with all the recommendations and awards! that i would be getting a great hairstyle.

I would say if you want a very short hair style......fine... but if you want a medium length or are trying to grow it.....don't go there. I was trying to grow mine and now it's the shortest i've ever had it in my life and thats 4 months after the disaster haircut. Was very very upset over it. Still am actually.......its going to take absoulely yonks to grow back. Would definitely NOT recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Niall1975

Hi guest20009 you should have stopped Amanda when you felt your hair was being cut too short you can see whats shes doing by looking in the mirror. (not being smart or anything)
    Or you could have told her it was too short and thats not what you wanted she might have offered you extensions or something.

I got my mams hair done in bellissimo €170! for a cut and colour back in january, it was horrible mid length and straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 guest20009

I did try to stop it. I kept saying not too short..i mentioned several times how i was trying to let it grow!.I just needed a bit of styling while growing it...... I couldn't see what was happening to the back of my head where the most of the damage was done. I won't be able to tie it up again for at least a year. I did say it as i was nearly in tears leaving the place and all i got offered was a "sorry you feel that way" type response.
    I only went there based on recommendations I read here.......and it was my first and definitely LAST time going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

I know it is outside of Limerick, but they Greene Rooms in Killaloe are brilliant, they are expensive but they do the best job.
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/Hairdressers_-_Ladies/Greene_Room_The/IE_31503741_9999_1001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 karolinaboczek

I would recommend Elite Beauty Salon! on Parnell Street. This is Polish girl, but she is very good and very good prices! Same quality of colours and service as in fancy salons but much cheeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 guest2010

I would highly recommend Amanda in Melo Yellow - she was so friendly - asked me loads of questions on what i wanted and gave me advice. I went in asking her what would be the best hairstyle as i was tired of my old look and she recommened a graduated bob and long in the front - i said "why not lets go for it" and it turned out fabulous and everyone has been admiring it :D She really takes it seriously and makes sure everything is right and that you are happy with it :D it was €60 but so worth it - i will def be going back there again and i will be going back to get my colour done in a few weeks. Highly recommend Melo Yellow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

ive had a few BAD experiences with hairdressers in limerick and the only one i was ever happy with is coras on o connell st. she's excellent at cutting and colouring and very reasonable. however, ive often gone in at 2 and not come out until 5 or 6...... i need to get a cut and colour done tomorrow morning, its urgent and im really nervous about trying somewhere new. i have a photo of what i want done, can anyone recommend a salon that will do exactly what i want, no more, no less??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Cora's god there's memories..when I was about 13 they gave me a mullet style haircut after I specifically asked for a trim only..it took me years to recover! lol..it was awful!!

Anyway...Justin in Halo on Roches Street is fab. His wife does colour too but her name escapes me, not cheap but excellant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mairead sla

Hi, I went to HeatWaves, Ballinacurra, punch's cross. They're we're excellent, got a colour and cut done.very reasonable prices, free parking. They used Wella colours. Everyone admired it. Friendly atmosphere.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

hi lads, i ended up getting it done in marbles, they did exactly what i wanted and it came out fab. the girl who cut my hair even gave me her card and told me to come in when the fringe started growing out and that she would trim it for free. i was well impressed. my hair is quite long and i got a full head of lights so it was fairly steep (180 for the lot, cut and colour) but i think this is because the girl who hilighted it was the head colourist. all in all, a good hair experience and you can have a consultation beforehand if you have any apprehensions. a lot less frightening and stressful than my usual hair experience...... it will take me awhile to save for my next go though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Chadav

I have spent 5 years trying to get a haircut that would suit my lifestyle. 2 kids and running out the door every morning. Gavin in Ivory is a god.......The salon is spotless, the staff kind, friendly and plenty of coffee. Gavin is a wonder and has saved my busy mornings and I still have a hair style with no fuss. Impecable work.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Chadav wrote: »
    I have spent 5 years trying to get a haircut that would suit my lifestyle. 2 kids and running out the door every morning. Gavin in Ivory is a god.......The salon is spotless, the staff kind, friendly and plenty of coffee. Gavin is a wonder and has saved my busy mornings and I still have a hair style with no fuss. Impecable work.

Good man yourself Gavin - FAIL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Ha ha ha brilliant..

There used to be a great stylist in Toni & Guy a few years ago Ray.
    My god he was brilliant.. Does anyone know where he is now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I don't know if I can name names here or not, but avoid the so called "top stylist" in Marbles like the plague. She runs the Hugh Campbell salons in Limerick. In her 40's and her name begins with A. If it's okay to name her, let me know and I will. She absolutely destroyed my hair when I went to her. The one thing I told her was not to touch my fringe and before I knew what was happening she'd chopped into it, and cut my hair so short on top that it was actually sticking up and I couldn't do anything with it until it grew. Wouldn't listen to me at all, and was completely full of herself. I was getting a colour done and wore jeans and a plain black top, stuff that I didn't mind too much if colour got on them (I looked fine, the clothes were clean and everything!) but I felt like she was really looking down her nose at me. I don't wear jewellery when I'm getting my hair done (for practical reasons) and so had none on,but the lady next to me had her diamonds etc on and had a Gucci bag and "A" was all over her, getting her magazines and coffee etc. In the end I actually asked for a cup of tea, and I'm not normally that cheeky!
    Sorry for the big rant, but I'd definitely NOT recommend her.
    Not too keen on Carol in Niall Colgan's either. Went to her a few times and the last time I went she wasn't actually going to wash my hair before cutting it. I had to ask her too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bandearg

Hi there
    How much do Ivory charge for a haircut - shoulder length hair...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 O_L

Lia_lia wrote: »
    A friend of mine swears by Marbles. She always comes out with wonderful haircuts/colour. http://www.hughcampbellhairgroup.com/location.htm Dunno the name of her stylist though!

Really have to disagree with you here unfortunately...been to marbles twice and it was a case of fool me once shame on u, fool me twice shame on me..I will never darken the door of the place again. Rude, inept and unprofessional! Stylist just having one of those conversations in my ear that should be left til she got home. Use a mobile stylist now that came from bellissimo! I'd trust her with my life she's so good at what she does. just one of those girls that lactually istens to what you're saying and does what you want rather than what she thinks is right

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

guest2010 wrote: »
    I would highly recommend Amanda in Melo Yellow - she was so friendly - asked me loads of questions on what i wanted and gave me advice. I went in asking her what would be the best hairstyle as i was tired of my old look and she recommened a graduated bob and long in the front - i said "why not lets go for it" and it turned out fabulous and everyone has been admiring it :D She really takes it seriously and makes sure everything is right and that you are happy with it :D it was €60 but so worth it - i will def be going back there again and i will be going back to get my colour done in a few weeks. Highly recommend Melo Yellow :)

Sorry, have to disagree on this one. I've been there twice, 2nd time I tried Amanda as I was "highly recommended". Was really looking for some advice and help as I had been growing my hair and it was below shoulder length. I got a Natalie Portman "Leon" style bob (sans fringe) which so does not suit my naturally very curly hair (when not blow dried straight). Colour was ok, nothing spectacular. My OH and friends told me straight out that the shape was not suited to my face. The cut was so bad when I washed it and tried to style it the next day that I booked into Peter Marks a few days later just to get some shape cut into it. That was over 6 months ago and I've not touched it since. Obviously, I got Amanda on a bad day but just one glance at my head should have told her what cut my head could handle.

And of course, I didnt say anything to her. Just paid my money and left quietly, another disappointed customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LuluSheehan

Do not go near the green room in kilaloe it has to be thevworst place I have ever got my hair coloured, I only wanted highlights to brighten up my hair but she had no idea what she was doin my hair was a dirgRace the colour was all overvtheplavevthevroots were an orange blondevwhite tips looked awful went back in crying tonthem saying I could let my hair down in public she tried to blame my hair it wasn't the condition but the total uneven terrible colouring . I woulda done it better myself if I through I load a bleach in and wentbto bed avoid avoid avoid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Siobhwhite

used to go to marbles in town for 3 years, but ended up paying 65 for a haircut.. found it a bit to much, as i am back to UL now was advised to go to Velvet in castletroy (near BAnk of ireland), i ve been there only 3 times doing lights+cut but they r worth checking out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 makeuplips

Hi Susan O'Mara in liberty hair salon , thomas street...v good...used to go to marbles...but way to expensive.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sumo68

I agree with guest 20009's post. I also have been to Amanda Whitome (sp?) and she TOTALLY butchered my hair :eek:. It took months to grow out. I told her I wanted a TRIM and she gave me really short layers, which I had also specified that I did NOT want. That was when she worked at Bellisimo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement