Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish mma rankings

Options
  • 05-05-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I have seen UK ones but as far as I can see no one has asked the question who is the best in Ireland. Well its about time they did!

Obviously I am not going to sit here and type out who I think is best (top5) for each weight class thats your job :) you never know we could start a race for number one here!

1Love

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I think you'll find this question has been asked over and over again.
    So much so that fight.ie decided to put up a rankings section on their site.

The choices can be seen here.. http://fight.ie/index.php?option=com_fighter&task=view_ranklist

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

checking as we speak

mods delete please

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

are the welter weight rankings being drawn up on fight.ie?? as well as that i would have thought chris fields would be up there in the middle weights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Shazbot wrote: »

Hmmmm, not very good. The majority of fighters names don't even have a club or record to their name. Also looks like it has not been updated in a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Any sign of a welterweight ranking coming up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Anakin.S wrote: »
    Hmmmm, not very good. The majority of fighters names don't even have a club or record to their name. Also looks like it has not been updated in a couple of months

We had an "enjoyable" thread discussion on these rankings when they wer done and IMO they definately arent 100% credible there are fighters missing and inactive fighters. Best example is wer is Darren Hughes??? Fighters wer picked by personal choice and not on merit:mad:!!!

Urs
    x

Any sign of a welterweight ranking coming up?

Anyone fancy giving this category a go since it isnt up????

Here wud be my top 5 ww in Ireland;)

1. Ronan McKay (guy fightin on regular basis in Ireland and Eng. Ronan never one to hav dull fight - hard fighter and still youth on his side).
    2. Emmet McNally (would actually be my number one choice but has been inactive for a while but in the mornin wud be WW champ no probs!)
    3. Clive Staunton (extremely talented ww and has had epic battle with some of the best altho dont see much of him anymore :-()
    4. Mark Palmer (altho not a lot of Mark on professional cards apart from EFR Mark has great ability and I expect to see a lot more of him this year).
    5. Cathal Pendred (Cathal has had some recent hard fights especially with Ronan and Jonny Shiels but proven a great contender for the future).

There are loads of other ww out there but these wud be my personal choice and no reflection on the great work of other fighters;)

Urs
    x

p.s and to back my choices up as I recall (no doubt I will be corrected here if Im wrong!
    Emmets beaten Clive and Clives beaten Mark (I think Im right :-))

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    Anyone fancy giving this category a go since it isnt up????

My problem is I need a site like fight.ie to tell me about Irish MMA, I'm not a member of any club, I just like Irish MMA and would like a true reflection of the fighters so I can make an informed decision on what shows I'll pay to watch.

............. I just like Irish MMA and would like a true reflection of the fighters so I can make an informed decision on what shows I'll pay to watch.

I dont think any one site will do it for you then as different views on different sites and there are a lot of sites about eg fightie, fighttalk, cagewars, sbg etc Boards to me is more "neutral" and you get views from across MMA circuit in Ireland;)

As far as being a fan is concerned there are a lot of shows and it is gettin hard to distinguish in them. IMO next months show Chaos is always great (good range of fights and well run) and the Spartan show in June will be amazin (without a doubt some of Irelands best on the card). The amat EFR show is also a steppin stone for most MMA fighters and its on Sunday and is only £15 so its good value too!!!

Urs
    xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I think if Richard Gorey beats Mok at the end of the month hed have to be considered for the top 5 too. Would love to see him and cathal go against each other also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Colin McKee must figure too

Gorey was beat recently by Michael Reid (not the one from eastenders)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The rankings where only done as a starting point,

what i would reccomend for the next rankings update is that any coaches who believe there fighters are in the top 10 let it be known and maybe a bit on why too.. this way no 1 gets left out, and inactive fighters will not be on the lists..

Its next to impossible to know all the fighters, i see 80% of shows and still could not do a list without missing out on people.. plus opinions are like airholes!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    ....... plus opinions are like airholes!

Paul Cowzer I hope you dont mean mine lol:D (ur in trouble now lol)

You are right about coaches supplying list of fighters and records and reasons - I would then like to see database done up to rank per fighters records/ stats. Then a panal could endorse it and identify inactivity etc.

Anyway thats my take lol

Urs
    xxx

Colin McKee must figure too

Gorey was beat recently by Michael Reid (not the one from eastenders)

Colin got placed in MW:) Again would be good for coaches to place their fighters in particular categories!!!!

As for Gorey - I think he could make top ten with Reid in their too IMO

Urs
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

I would then like to see database done up to rank per fighters records/ stats. Then a panal could endorse it and identify inactivity etc.

Urs this would be very easy if clubs and coaches used the website in the way it is designed for them....:mad:

When fight.ie was set up the idea was that fighters, clubs and fans alike would have a place to go for all the info they needed from Irish MMA.

All we need is for people to use what was made for them!! We have loads of clubs on there who have not added any of their fighters. Just have a look at the PCCB club page to see how well it can work.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

Dont forget John Donnelly and Merv Muholland.

There is definately alot of talented welterweights in Ireland at the minute!

fightie wrote: »
    ......this would be very easy if clubs and coaches used the website in the way it is designed for them......

Pardon my ignorance but if say Pol Murray is updating stats on his fighters but someone else like Rodney Moore (who has a phobia of computers) doesnt update his fighters stats - is their a database doin the calculations in the background???? For instance Rodney was to fight Ryan Kelly - Rodney wins Pol updates his for Ryan but Rodney doesnt record his win is this a disadvantage????

Urs
    x

p.s. John Donnelly and Merv could also make a top ten and I would also add Jonny Shiels ther also ;)

Only fighters who have been added to the site by their coach will show up in pink (making them clickable) to view their profile. The ones with no record etc are the people we have manually put up because their club hasnt bothered to add them.

Can offically ask all coaches to upload their fighters info to fight.ie so I can actually get to know who some of the fighters are?

Seriously though it helps people like me who pay to watch and are not in the MMA inner circle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Hey deekheads I can't help but notice you quoted me on your website. I demand kudos, post haste.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

The ones with no record etc are the people we have manually put up because their club hasnt bothered to add them.

Some clubs may not be familiar with the site, email clubs about posting up a list of active fighters, take the initiative, its obviously not there number one priority.

Its really great though to have this as a resource, It will definetly help guys break off into the international circuits.

would like to see the welterweights though, myles price, tom egan.. Mcgregor has to be near the top of the lightweight rankings also..

• Advertisement

.........but lets say a matchmaker from the UFC is looking at the site, it just means hes not going to know anything about Rodneys fighters, where as if they where listed with their fight histories, photos and stats etc. like pol murrays are they would have a better chance of getting noticed.

Im not saying fight.ie is the only site they would visit, but we already get a substantial amount of hits from over the pond so im sure some of them are worth impressing

Theory not bad idea in practice tough and I dont believe in a monopoly;) CageWars forum hav a lot of American bloggers too. Dont honestly believe Joe Silva wud use only one site for information on potential fighters the guys outta UFC actually had a conference room full of employees browsing the net for anything relating to MMA when they wer in Belfast so I suspect they do a lotta lotta research IMO:)

But all the best with it:cool:

Urs
    x

Its not hard to ask a respected selection of people in Irish MMA for their opinion on the top fighters in Irish MMA. Then have the 'Official Irish Rankings' available to every website.

Its not hard to ask a respected selection of people in Irish MMA for their opinion on the top fighters in Irish MMA. Then have the 'Official Irish Rankings' available to every website.

Personal opinion does not equal true represenation of skill imo:(

There woz no formal meetin of Ranking Committee and no rules set down. People wer asked to "pick" their favourites and then I think last five wer ranked by three of the panel. No reference given to statistics????? There are too many fighters missing for my liking and others added for reasons I dont know?

As I said I would hav liked fighters stats used to justify their positions first and foremost then if ther wer any "grey" areas then a committee to debate this and take it forward.

Ive spoke with fighters who "laughed" at their ranking because they didnt feel it was justified or they done enough to be there. Others wer amused that despite beating others they wer ranked well below them.

Urs
    x

Personal opinion does not equal true represenation of skill imo:(

There woz no formal meetin of Ranking Committee and no rules set down. People wer asked to "pick" their favourites and then I think last five wer ranked by three of the panel. No reference given to statistics????? There are too many fighters missing for my liking and others added for reasons I dont know?

As I said I would hav liked fighters stats used to justify their positions first and foremost then if ther wer any "grey" areas then a committee to debate this and take it forward.

Ive spoke with fighters who "laughed" at their ranking because they didnt feel it was justified or they done enough to be there. Others wer amused that despite beating others they wer ranked well below them.

Urs
    x

Ok, so 'opinion' was a poor selection of word on my part.

It wouldn't be hard to work out a mathematical coefficient based upon fighter’s performance with associated correlations including difficulty of weight class and contests participated in, obviously this is a bit more complex than asking allot of respected people in Irish MMA to make out a top 10 in each weight group.

All joking aside at least the effort was made to help out people like me who don't know the majority of fighters, although I will concede that excluding fighters from the list helps me even less.

fightie wrote: »

Of the 7 folk who agreed to take part we got results back from:

Dave Jones
    Peter Lavery
    Mark Leonard
    Paul Cowzer

Each was asked to send their top 10 for each weight category.

10 points was awarded for a 1st place rank, 9 for a second, 8 for a third etc

With only four out of seven it is quite unsurprising that people were missed. If you were asked to input your opinion and you didn't you can not really knock the ranking system for excluding people you would have on the list when you had the chance to put fighters in the rankings and didn't.

....................It wouldn't be hard to work out a mathematical coefficient based upon fighter’s performance with associated correlations including difficulty of weight class and contests participated in, obviously this is a bit more complex than asking allot of respected people in Irish MMA to make out a top 10 in each weight group.

Correct to it wudnt take a genius to work out mathmatical stats which is what I initial asked about:rolleyes: The panel initially picked made up from some well known MMA figures but stilll does not justify "picking" fighters for top ten!!!

........If you were asked to input your opinion and you didn't you can not really knock the ranking system for excluding people you would have on the list when you had the chance to put fighters in the rankings and didn't.

My category woz LW and given it in Nov but when I asked for clarification on how decisions wer to be made I didnt receive it nor hear anything else from them. I thought I would be "picking" then stats wer to be collated and then committee would ulitimately give the OK:)

Urs
    x

Advertisement