Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beta-carotene tan (fair skined tan)Tanning Pills!!!!

Options
  • 12-07-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I met a red head at the weekend at oxegen who told me about these tablets you take called Carotene and they boost your defences against the sun and can give fair haired people a tan. Now his own tan wasnt great or anything, but impressive all the same. Has anyone here used them? I did some searches on the net and found some dogy German ones that turn you orange and then some other sites that promoted this product saying it was great and healthy for fair haired people.

Has anyone ever used this or had any experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭She-Ra

you should be able to get these in any decent health shop... i've never used them but apparently they work pretty well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Come on there must be more people out there who have used it!!!!!!!!!!! I dont trust other sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

A close look at three tanning pills
    Tanning pills come in three varieties: Those that contain caretenoid pigments [EluSun], those that contain tyrosine [Mayan Secrets], and those that contain practically nothing at all [Deep Tan].

They "work" in entirely different ways. Caretenoid pills contain a pigment [the same thing that makes carrots orange and shrimp pink] which, when taken internally, is deposited in the tissues of the body.

The caretenoids saturate the fat layers just below the skin, which appears to give the skin color.

The Food and Drug Administration concluded that taking caretenoids in the quantity sufficient to create a "tan" was dangerous, and pills for this purpose were banned for sale in the U.S. But they are easier than ever to get, thanks to the Internet.

Caretenoids come in many different forms. The best known is canthaxanthin, followed closely by beta carotene. But the tanning pill manufacturers are on top of things: as soon as one caretenoid is discredited, they pop up with another. Lycopene is their latest gimmick.

Caretenoid pills have no effect at all on melanogenesis, but they absolutely do change the visible color of the skin. Because you have no control over where your body deposits the pigment, however, the results may not be pleasing.

One woman, for instance, ended up with two stripes down the sides of her nose. Because people have protective pads of fat on the palms of their hands and the soles of their feet, those areas tend to turn bright orange — and stay that way for months.

Then there is the orange-red poop problem. The pigment will color all of your bodily wastes: excrement, tears, sweat, urine.

Much more frightening, however, the pigment gets deposited in the retina of the eye. The pigment can permanently harm vision. I have received heartbreaking emails from former users of these pills whose vision has been damaged. This is why the products were banned by the FDA.

Caretenoids do have their approved uses: they can be fed to salmon to make their flesh a more inviting color to us carnivores.

from : http://www.sunless.com/safe/tanningpillsdontwork.php

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

"your so vain....i bet u think this thread is about u..."

oh wait it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Dreamcatcher

I'd say that overdoing Beta Carotene / Vitamin A would result in a juandiced glow - the liver being stressed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd say that overdoing Beta Carotene / Vitamin A would result in a juandiced glow - the liver being stressed.
    Since women of childbearing age are more likely to take tanning pills , I'd be far more worried about the possible effects if there was a pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Remember the kids that turned yellow from drinking all the Sunny Delite? Well guess whats in Sunny D?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

D-Generate wrote:
    Remember the kids that turned yellow from drinking all the Sunny Delite? Well guess whats in Sunny D?
    Judging by the colour Fluorescine and Rhodamine are used the others - if you have UV light then both quite litterly glow in the dark.

Sunny Delite - they probably use fruit for marketing reasons and because it's cheaper than artifical flavours and at only 5% or 10% (can't rememeber which) you can't really consider any more of a fruit drink than say Harp and Lime or Pernoid and Black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

D-Generate wrote:
    Quite a lot of different crap really.

Sometimes the mixture of bilirubin, from your liver getting messed up, and beta-carotene itself along with your natural pigmentation will look quite like a tan. Similarly I remember someone in college who got jaundice and it looked great on her.

Often though you'll turn bright orange and look like an oompa-loompa with a dye-job.

This is a sign of betacarotene overdose. Beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A) can be turned into retinol (vitamin A) by your body. You need a certain amount of retinol for healthy skin and eyes, but too much will destroy your eyes and you'll go blind. It's considered safer to take beta-carotene than retinol, because if you overdose on retinol (not really sure how you would do that, eat a polar bears liver maybe) your retinas are going to be screwed, however if you overdose on beta-carotene your body will only process so much (though with serious overdoses it could still end up producing a dangerous level of retinol) and the rest will result in your skin, urine and faeces turning orange.

Now anyone with half a brain would go "holy crap, my skin's turned orange, wtf?" and go to a doctor, but some people will actually pay for the effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

D-Generate wrote:

This poster's right, they put carotene(in completely harmless doses) into Sunny D to give it an orangey colour, even the kid who drank litres of the stuff suffered no ill effects from the carotene(though christ knows what the other sh|t in it did to him)

So yes it will work and yes it will look crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Why can't it be fashionable for people to have green skin - that would be much funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

simu wrote:
    Why can't it be fashionable for people to have green skin - that would be much funnier.

Now that I'd like to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Elizabeth x

can i just say that i have been using beta carotene tablets now for about 2 months and i have a radiant glow, and i am really fair skinned.
    Before i used them i checked with my gp and she said they were fine.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This thread is 4 years old. I'd suggest starting a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement