Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oversized item from the US

Options
  • 14-09-2019 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a large item (160cm x 150cm by 15cm) from a US company, they don't deliver outside the US but can accomodate dropping it off somewhere to be forwarded here.

Online, I'm getting crazy quotes from the likes of fedex/ups etc. 700 euro plus.

I'm not in a hurry, so could wait for sea freight.

Any suggestions for companies that will ship at a decent price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

A friend used Shipito a few years ago without issue, they have a calculator on their site that will give you an idea of cost :

https://www.shipito.com/en/shipping-calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

colm_c wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a large item (160cm x 150cm by 15cm) from a US company, they don't deliver outside the US but can accomodate dropping it off somewhere to be forwarded here.

Online, I'm getting crazy quotes from the likes of fedex/ups etc. 700 euro plus.

I'm not in a hurry, so could wait for sea freight.

Any suggestions for companies that will ship at a decent price?

Where in the US and what is it exactly, ie is it fragile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Volumetric weight works out at 90kg

Due to dimensions, it's a double pallet.

Would probably cost the same whether it's one or twenty you are bringing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Where in the US and what is it exactly, ie is it fragile

It's a motorbike cover, not fragile.

Coming from Colorado

Darc19 wrote: »
    Volumetric weight works out at 90kg

Due to dimensions, it's a double pallet.

Would probably cost the same whether it's one or twenty you are bringing in.

I doubled one of the dimensions (shortest one) and did the same quotes. It's twice the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I doubled one of the dimensions (shortest one) and did the same quotes. It's twice the cost.

What does it actually weigh?

About 30kg

Express Airfreight, yes it will increase as you pay for each kilo, but as it's not urgent, it can go seafreight and if it's on a pallet, you will pay much the same amount if 10 were on the same pallet.

Express Airfreight, yes it will increase as you pay for each kilo, but as it's not urgent, it can go seafreight and if it's on a pallet, you will pay much the same amount if 10 were on the same pallet.

If that's the case I might try to get a 2 or 3!

Any recommendations of companies that can provide this service?

Just realized you were getting quotes from express premium couriers at full price.

Try these guys

https://www.centralshipping.ie/air-freight/

Still looking at probably €200 and then vat and duty on top of total costs including delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Just realized you were getting quotes from express premium couriers at full price.

Try these guys

https://www.centralshipping.ie/air-freight/

Still looking at probably €200 and then vat and duty on top of total costs including delivery.

Darc19, have you used central shipping before? never heard of them..

OP said sea would work also, so IPS Groupage in swords, Horner agencies in Bray , or Shipco in swords would probably be a better bet..

Advertisement