Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title update: Child gets needlestick injury on Dublin Bus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

FortySeven wrote: »
    I never set out in life to become an addict. I didn't wake up one morning and think 'that's the life for me!"

However bad you think 'junkies' make your life, you will never understand the torture they put themselves through on a daily basis.

The war on drugs has been lost, it's time we began spending the wasted money on treatment, this is a public health issue and we should fund it that way instead of locking up the addicts.

I am a decent, intelligent man, hard working and honest. Addiction can be solved with a bit of will and some funding.

That's really it. I hate seeing drug addicts and what it does to them, us and our society its absolutely horrific and seems like it's getting worse year by year regardless of what money is thrown at it. I worked as a 14 year old in Sean mcdermott street and Buckingham Street in the late 80's and delivered stuff all around including Sheriff street/Oriel street and places like that and what always stuck with me was the complete and utter lost generation it produced and this is what we are seeing now kids of addicts in one shape or another basically fending for themselves since the ages of two and up. Either mentally, physically or sexually abused and in a lot of cases all three, I knew all the ones around those areas back then and they would be battered daily black and blue, stole because thats all they could do to survive they would go home to violence, go out to the street to violence and they would be well aware of what 'Normal' people thought of them.

Unloved, no self esteem and dealing with the absolute torture that was in their mind a lot turned to drugs i suppose to feel something other than what they felt naturally. A lot of them with undiagnosed mental deficiencies from birth left to deal with that as child and eventually as an adult, Most drug addicts have the mental ability of a 15 year old and the help you see them getting is mostly twenty or more years to late.

Im not defending the things they do and I'm not a dogooder whatever that is but if you want less addicts on the street then you have to get them young and being a little bit understanding would also help. I don't think anyone chooses to be an addict, there is usually a reason why they end up as one though.

Disclaimer: 80% of families were fine in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thankfully there are plenty that do. Tell me, as a gambler do you have the same opinion of those who destroy themselves and their families with that particular addiction?

Fair play to you for beating your addiction, that deserves respect. And fair play to you if you funded your own habit but plenty of other people don't. I've been mugged by a junkie, had a syringe held to my neck while his buddy went through my bag. Horrible experience and not something anyone should go through. I've seen people robbed, saw one girl have a wine bottle smashed against her head so an addict could grab her bag, have heard of elderly people having their lives destroyed by their addict kids.....people make a choice to take drugs,we don't make a choice to be victims of crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

eviltwin wrote: »
    Fair play to you for beating your addiction, that deserves respect. And fair play to you if you funded your own habit but plenty of other people don't. I've been mugged by a junkie, had a syringe held to my neck while his buddy went through my bag. Horrible experience and not something anyone should go through. I've seen people robbed, saw one girl have a wine bottle smashed against her head so an addict could grab her bag, have heard of elderly people having their lives destroyed by their addict kids.....people make a choice to take drugs,we don't make a choice to be victims of crime.

I did not fund my own addiction legally. Only the celebs managed that. That is the other side of addiction, it is easy to tar all addicts with the scumbag title. Was George Best a scumbag? Amy Winehouse? Charles Kennedy? Kurt Cobain? Janis Joplin? Robert Kennedy?

There are people who commit crimes such as these without addictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I did not fund my own addiction legally. Only the celebs managed that. That is the other side of addiction, it is easy to tar all addicts with the scumbag title. Was George Best a scumbag? Amy Winehouse? Charles Kennedy? Kurt Cobain? Janis Joplin? Robert Kennedy?

There are people who commit crimes such as these without addictions.

People who fund their habits themselves are few and far between and lucky enough not to have to resort to other measures. It's not being an addict that makes someone a scumbag, it's when you exploit and hurt people who are just trying to get by and leave them with lasting damage that makes one a scumbag. There is no excuse for leaving needles on buses, beating up the elderly, holding up shop assistants....anyone who does that is a scumbag addictions or no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

What a badly reported story. I heard a radio interview with the mother - the syringe (which apparently contained a liquid) was left on the seat and got stuck in the child's finger. Frightening thing to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

I never set out in life to become an addict. I didn't wake up one morning and think 'that's the life for me!"

However bad you think 'junkies' make your life, you will never understand the torture they put themselves through on a daily basis.

The war on drugs has been lost, it's time we began spending the wasted money on treatment, this is a public health issue and we should fund it that way instead of locking up the addicts.

I am a decent, intelligent man, hard working and honest. Addiction can be solved with a bit of will and some funding. I am walking proof of that.

Entirely self-inflicted.

I sympathize to a point and agree that the war on drugs has been lost but the situation we have now where junkies openly wander around the streets, shoot up on buses and generally make everyone else's life a misery because of their own shítty choices has to stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

I think there is a misconception of how heroine addiction is for some people posting here. for those in it's grip, it turns the best of people into the worst in quick order. And for the vast, vast majority of them hate what they do to sustain the habit..... I've seen it take a lot of people in my area, some are in prison, some are on the streets, some are dead. 1 the got straight, and he struggles all the time staying that way.

Yes it's horrible to see it so visibly, and incidents like this are genuinely shocking, and but they Are people behind the addiction. Never forget that please people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

When I was about 12 I was sitting in the backseat of my friends dad's car and got stabbed in the leg with a syringe. The dad was a vet. Now, I love the taste of hair and have a shiny coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

CLAIM!!!! I wonder how much she'll get?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

SuperS54 wrote: »
    CLAIM!!!! I wonder how much she'll get?
    Particularly as the child was "pumping blood from her finger" from a single syringe prick (sorry, STAB!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

voz es wrote: »
    Drugs are an addiction to be addicted to drugs and have your life fall apaart as a result of that does not make a person scum, no more than being a banker

I know but leaving your dirty needles on the bus where other humans including children sit makes you a scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are the people who are telling us what a hard time drug addicts have and how they are not to blame...for whatever...the same people who are posting in the current thread on AH (and at other times) saying how harmless drugs are and people should not be so boring about them, give them a try, you'll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

looksee wrote: »
    Are the people who are telling us what a hard time drug addicts have and how they are not to blame...for whatever...the same people who are posting in the current thread on AH (and at other times) saying how harmless drugs are and people should not be so boring about them, give them a try, you'll be grand!

Not me. Drugs are bad, bad, bad! Apart from Nexium, thats god, good,good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Great website that you've linked to OP.

Illiterate nonsense churned out by bigoted morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"The Liberal" - For when the Daily Mail just isn't biased enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Penn wrote: »
    "The Liberal" - For when the Daily Mail just isn't biased enough.

Fun game - try to find any mention of the result of the Marriage Referendum on that website.

It's like they live in an alternate universe where it never happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

newacc2015 wrote: »
    This article is filled with mistakes. If the child unfortunately contracted HIV or Hep C. It would take at least 10-14 days at least for HIV to show up in Blood. Its not 'a few days'. Also even if the syringe user had HIV, they would have to have a viral load high enough to spread HIV. I imagine the child was put onto PEP immediately. Which greatly reduces the risk of HIV. There is thousands of medical workers working with HIV+ patients and dont contract HIV, yet they have been used to it. PEP is pretty effective at preventing HIV taking hold in the body.

Instead of blaming the junkie is clearly not in the right state of mind. Why aren't we questioning how constant Governments who think ignoring IV drug use in the city, will simply cause to go away. The is plenty of talk in Budget 2016 for supporting rural areas to prevent crime. When are we going to see some action on tackling IV drug users.

+1

Would be almost impossible for her to contract HIV from this, the virus dies very quickly (seconds) outside the human body, the guy would literally need to be shooting up and immediately stick the other person for a transfer.

still horrible story tho, but as said before it seems sensationalized.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Is there anything to be said for state sponsored poisoning of the heroin these druggies use , put the poor ****ers out of their misery

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Her surname has a certain cachet around certain areas of Dublin. I'm sure the cops are treading gingerly around this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

theteal wrote: »
    Yup, one of my best mates and then there were a few unrelated lads in school iirc
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    I know of at least 3 unrelated families with that name.
    Zambra

Where have I heard that name before

To be honest from the sound of things it's a more common name than I thought. There's a Zambra family who were involved in the Crumlin/Drimnagh drug war, one of whom was killed in a housing estate off Cork St around the corner from one of my mates' gaffs - and I was theorising that if it's not that common a name, then the suggestion that the needle was just randomly lying around might have been suspicious.

I reckon it's unrelated though. Sounds like this was a genuine nasty accident caused by some unrelated scumbag. I mean I have nothing against drug users, I'd defend them more than most on this forum, but how hard can it be to throw your sh!t in a bin after using it? It just displays a total and utter lack of consideration for others' safety. I'd usually be the first to attack the trope that "junkie = scumbag", but I feel in this particular case the word 'scumbag' is wholly appropriate.

• Advertisement

I am a decent, intelligent man, hard working and honest. Addiction can be solved with a bit of will and some funding. I am walking proof of that.

I agree with this sentiment. But would you agree with differentiating between those addicts who are addicted to drug and go about feeding that addiction in a manner which at least tries not to put others in danger, and those who go about it in a careless or even violent manner? There are definitely both types of addict out there and I have nothing against the first kind. If you can shoot up and then just find a litter bin or something like that, I have no issue with it. But leaving a syringe lying around in public is dangerous for obvious reasons, and those who do so when where are multitudes of bins in Dublin are in my view just being wilfully inconsiderate.

I still say that having organised drug zones would be a good idea. The old Baths site in Dun Laoghaire was being used for that over the last few years before the council steeled it up - why can't they just pick a disused building like that and just say "we'll tolerate it here, but crack down heavily on it anywhere else in public"? That way everyone would know that a particular site was potentially full of dangerous artefacts and would be able to keep children etc away from it, while the rest of the streets could be clear.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 Satan is Real

whupdedo wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for state sponsored poisoning of the heroin these druggies use , put the poor ****ers out of their misery

Banned

Perhaps not but I certainly believe in a sterilization program for drug addicts and other members of the underclass, let's face it they just spawn feral children to replace them and the cycle is continued. I would offer increased dole money as an incentive for these people to undergo sterilization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Perhaps not but I certainly believe in a sterilization program for drug addicts and other members of the underclass, let's face it they just spawn feral children to replace them and the cycle is continued. I would offer increased dole money as an incentive for these people to undergo sterilization.

And if a drug addict sorts themselves out, gets clean etc... can we 'un-sterilize' them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Surely you mean Untermensch Herr Hitler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

looksee wrote: »

It's different drugs though. I don't know a single person that would tell you heroin is harmless. Many other drugs have various medical and other professionals coming out saying that the risks of these drugs bear additional study into whether it's worth keeping them illegal.

I know it's a cliche to trot out smoking vs other drugs but frankly it's as harm goes is someone weekend recretional drug use any worse for them? I don't know the answer to that, but it bears closer study.

What I do know is our approach to heroin addiction in Dublin simply has not worked. A solution that has been trialed in other contries has been to make heroin freely available to addicts, give them a place to shoot up and rest. This removes much of the crime associated with drug additions. Again I'm not sure how many domestic burglaries are assocated with Extacy or Cannabis use but I suspect it's pretty low compared to the 80% of total assocated with heroin use. (2005 stats to be fair).

The point of this ramble is that the war on drugs is simply a political football. the situation will never change while people have a closed mind to the subject. Sorry to single out your post it was just the closest :pac:

EDIT: In relation to serilisation, I think that's a fair (and reversable) compromise and should be included in any heroin distribution system. We've moved away from any impingement on reproductive rights becuase (as rightly pointed out) WWII. We need to move on from that and realise unrestricted reproductive rights has also simply failed.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 Satan is Real

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Surely you mean Untermensch Herr Hitler?

My policy would be voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why would a needle prick cause the child to 'pump blood'?
    I would say many children actually do pump blood after accidently harming themselves on other discarded recreational drug paraphanalia though. A drug which the Lancet medical journal considers more harmful to both users and others than heroin.

But sure kids cutting themselves on
    broken beer bottles
    probably wouldn't make that paper. The place is littered with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

junkies junkies bastard

We're in the prime of our lives.

rubadub wrote: »
    But sure kids cutting themselves on
    broken beer bottles
    probably wouldn't make that paper. The place is littered with them.

The risk of contracting an STI from a broken beer bottle is negligible compared with the risk of contracting one from a used needle.

This is essentially the crux of the matter and why needles bear particular alarm compared with other litter. When heroin spread through Dublin in the 1980s, poor education combined with limited access to clean needles and knowledge of sterilisation to create a concurrent epidemic of STDs among addicts. HIV is the most feared of these, but (I could stand corrected here?) as far as I know, Hepatitis was the particular menace among Dublin's addicts. Some such STDs can be passed from generation to generation and many of those who would have contracted lifelong viruses are still alive today, coupled with the sad fact that even though hygiene and access to needle exchanges etc has improved, needle sharing is probably nowhere near zero yet and therefore there are probably still new addicts contracting new infections.

For this reason, coupled with how deeply a needle can penetrate compared with broken glass or shards of can (that's what they're designed for, after all), it's perfectly legitimate for dirty needles to command more fear and demand more action from society than broken glass. While both are undoubtedly a health hazard and both indicate people who are careless assholes (given, as I said before, the multitude of public bins in Dublin's inner city), of the two, I for one would be far more terrified for my safety after having been pricked with a needle as opposed to a shard of glass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

The risk of contracting an STI from a broken beer bottle is negligible compared with the risk of contracting one from a used needle.

This is essentially the crux of the matter and why needles bear particular alarm compared with other litter. When heroin spread through Dublin in the 1980s, poor education combined with limited access to clean needles and knowledge of sterilisation to create a concurrent epidemic of STDs among addicts. HIV is the most feared of these, but (I could stand corrected here?) as far as I know, Hepatitis was the particular menace among Dublin's addicts. Some such STDs can be passed from generation to generation and many of those who would have contracted lifelong viruses are still alive today, coupled with the sad fact that even though hygiene and access to needle exchanges etc has improved, needle sharing is probably nowhere near zero yet and therefore there are probably still new addicts contracting new infections.

For this reason, coupled with how deeply a needle can penetrate compared with broken glass or shards of can (that's what they're designed for, after all), it's perfectly legitimate for dirty needles to command more fear and demand more action from society than broken glass. While both are undoubtedly a health hazard and both indicate people who are careless assholes (given, as I said before, the multitude of public bins in Dublin's inner city), of the two, I for one would be far more terrified for my safety after having been pricked with a needle as opposed to a shard of glass.

STIs from a needle ? really ?

And don´t they die pretty quickly outside the human body, so virtually
    impossible to pick up HIV/Hep from a needle thats been on the ground for a while.

Advertisement