Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title update: Child gets needlestick injury on Dublin Bus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

A junkie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Don't you mean "lowest" order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

junkies junkies bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Liberal use of the word 'allegedly'?

Very light on actual facts?

Who cares - let's get outraged people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't get over a publication that uses the grammar "...has since went on to tell her story to ...". Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the bona fides of the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This isn't what I heard, what I heard was that the syringe has been discarded rather than a fellow passenger actively stabbing the kid. Either way it's horrific.

On a side note, does anyone know how common or uncommon the name "Zambra" is in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Every other story I've read about this doesn't say the person stabbed her. They say the syringe was on the seat and she pricked her finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

It's nothing new. It's so sad that it happened to anyone, especially a child, but it's just so common in Dublin now.

Where I work, I walk through a little alleyway to get to the staff entrance. The place is always littered with needles, human faeces, and wee-wee.

About four weeks ago I was walking through that alleyway and noticed something wrong with my shoe. When I bent down to look, I saw a used needle from a syringe was stuck in my converse. Thank god it didn't go fully through and into my foot, but it was still kind of scary. The city centre (Abbey St, O' Connell St, Parnell St especially) is just a rubbish dump for junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm not disagreeing that stabbing a child with a syringe would be a dreadful thing to do. But there are far too few verified facts in that story. Why would a junky have a syringe full of heroine on a bus? How could the mother tell what was in the syringe? Why would a needle prick cause the child to 'pump blood'?

Sounds like a the author was willing to accept the most sensational version of events without any attempt to fact check any aspect of it. I'll reserve my outrage until I know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

This article is filled with mistakes. If the child unfortunately contracted HIV or Hep C. It would take at least 10-14 days at least for HIV to show up in Blood. Its not 'a few days'. Also even if the syringe user had HIV, they would have to have a viral load high enough to spread HIV. I imagine the child was put onto PEP immediately. Which greatly reduces the risk of HIV. There is thousands of medical workers working with HIV+ patients and dont contract HIV, yet they have been used to it. PEP is pretty effective at preventing HIV taking hold in the body.

Instead of blaming the junkie is clearly not in the right state of mind. Why aren't we questioning how constant Governments who think ignoring IV drug use in the city, will simply cause to go away. The is plenty of talk in Budget 2016 for supporting rural areas to prevent crime. When are we going to see some action on tackling IV drug users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

On a side note, does anyone know how common or uncommon the name "Zambra" is in Dublin?

I know of at least 3 unrelated families with that name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Put all the methadone clinics right slap in the city centre they said.

Be grand they said.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 Satan is Real

Way too many dirty junkies in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I know of at least 3 unrelated families with that name.

Yup, one of my best mates and then there were a few unrelated lads in school iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Drugs are an addiction to be addicted to drugs and have your life fall apaart as a result of that does not make a person scum, no more than being a banker

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Zambra

Where have I heard that name before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

voz es wrote: »
    Drugs are an addiction to be addicted to drugs and have your life fall apaart as a result of that does not make a person scum, no more than being a banker

No doubt bankers end up with some of the drug money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

voz es wrote: »

Leaving the detritus of your drug use on public transport, shooting up on the street and robbing people to fund your habit does make one a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

eviltwin wrote: »
    Leaving the detritus of your drug use on public transport, shooting up on the street and robbing people to fund your habit does make one a scumbag.

Did it belong to a junkie?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Did it belong to a junkie?

Who else would leave a needle lying around on a bus? Hardly a diabetic now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Love Dublin. World's greatest city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

eviltwin wrote: »
    Who else would leave a needle lying around on a bus? Hardly a diabetic now.

People lose stuff all the time. Awful thing to happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I never set out in life to become an addict. I didn't wake up one morning and think 'that's the life for me!"

However bad you think 'junkies' make your life, you will never understand the torture they put themselves through on a daily basis.

The war on drugs has been lost, it's time we began spending the wasted money on treatment, this is a public health issue and we should fund it that way instead of locking up the addicts.

I am a decent, intelligent man, hard working and honest. Addiction can be solved with a bit of will and some funding. I am walking proof of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

One of the mods should change the thread title, lot of people seem to be making threads about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Zambra

Where have I heard that name before

Take your pick:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/man-accused-of-robbing-7-drivers-1.79235

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/10+years+for+syringe+attacker.-a061076851

Robber who stabbed three warders with a syringe filled with his hepatitis infected blood was jailed for 10 years yesterday.

Heroin addict Paul Zambra knifed himself in the chest so he would be taken to Mater hospital and could escape.

Zambra, 21, of Ballyfermot, told the officers, who late tested negative for hepatitis C, that he had AIDS. He ran off but gardai caught him trying to hijack a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

'ublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

One of the mods should change the thread title, lot of people seem to be making threads about this.
    Pot. Kettle. Black

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

FortySeven wrote: »

However bad you think 'junkies' make your life, you will never understand the torture they put themselves through on a daily basis.

I dont care, neither do a lot of people, theyre a blight on society and decent people. Nuke the bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Pot. Kettle. Black

Huh ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

retalivity wrote: »
    I dont care, neither do a lot of people, theyre a blight on society and decent people. Nuke the bastards.

Thankfully there are plenty that do. Tell me, as a gambler do you have the same opinion of those who destroy themselves and their families with that particular addiction?

Advertisement