Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tired of our society, government and taxation system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I don't think op will be back.

Op has a life, and it's 30 odd g's after tax chaps not that my finances are on trial here

When I'm working 60 hour weeks vs the dole tell me who has the easier life eh?

Also, we are trying for a baby, no medical card for us so our ivf will cost a fortune

The grant is very comfortable.

At 5 grand (more in some cases) iI had to work roughly 550 hoursminimum wage just to catch up. That's 550 more hours those with a grant get to relax. Seems you need to do a bit more thinking before posting as if you know it all

Bull****. You didn't do much research . A huge amount of students only qualify for the registration fees.....not the maintenance part of the grant !!

And it's much harder to access the Susi grant as a mature student ...and never for a post grad !

Too easy to write everyone off in one fell swoop !

Bull****. You didn't do much research . A huge amount of students only qualify for the registration fees.....not the maintenance part of the grant !!

And it's much harder to access the Susi grant as a mature student ...and never for a post grad !

Too easy to write everyone off in one fell swoop !

Enlighten me regarding the mature student one, as the lads i knowthink they've hit the jackpot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My parents pay under 10% direct tax on 48k-50k approx.

They receive:

two med cards
    two travel passes
    subsidised elec

Great value for the taxes paid.

Taxes are very low on some people.

Though the top MTR kicks in way too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Op has a life, and it's 30 odd g's after tax chaps not that my finances are on trial here

When I'm working 60 hour weeks vs the dole tell me who has the easier life eh?

Also, we are trying for a baby, no medical card for us so our ivf will cost a fortune

Sorry to hear about your struggle to conceive.

If IVF is supported by medical cards then I'm shocked -- it's not a medical necessity -- only a desire. It shouldn't be on the medical card (if it is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Enlighten me regarding the mature student one, as the lads i knowthink they've hit the jackpot

If they're mature students they will either get the maintenance grant, or back to education. Not both.
    They might get their fees paid, but if they have gone to college before then they will definitely be making some contribution to the fees themselves, which could mean about 500, could mean 4500 depending on how they get on with SUSI.
    Some ****ing jackpot alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mother Brain

Well op I guess if you work even harder you'll have even more money and I guess have even more to complain about so you've only yourself to blame!

What exactly is it you want anyway? Others to have less so you can feel you have more? Or just more?

What is your rationale here like? You say you have 30k pa after tax and yet you feel that isn't enough?

You work 60 a week and so this entitles you to what exactly? Private jet? Lamorghini? 14 bed mansion?

I'll tell you what, I know plenty of people who work 60 hrs and more in some cases, for far far less than you (claim to) earn. Some doing meaningful work like caring for sick / elderly people in the community. The kind of work that has inherent humanity in it, and that can make a genuine difference in people's lives.

The reality for most is that you will spend your entire life navigating an endless stream of drudgery for what amounts for most people to coppers.

What makes you so special that you feel you deserve so much more?

Well op I guess if you work even harder you'll have even more money and I guess have even more to complain about so you've only yourself to blame!

What exactly is it you want anyway? Others to have less so you can feel you have more? Or just more?

What is your rationale here like? You say you have 30k pa after tax and yet you feel that isn't enough?

You work 60 a week and so this entitles you to what exactly? Private jet? Lamorghini? 14 bed mansion?

I'll tell you what, I know plenty of people who work 60 hrs and more in some cases, for far far less than you (claim to) earn. Some doing meaningful work like caring for sick / elderly people in the community. The kind of work that has inherent humanity in it, and that can make a genuine difference in people's lives.

The reality for most is that you will spend your entire life navigating an endless stream of drudgery for what amounts for most people to coppers.

What makes you so special that you feel you deserve so much more?

I'd like a bit more than those than chill all day, I'd that too much to ask for??
    :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd like a bit more than those than chill all day, I'd that too much to ask for??

Bar the small percentage who are very long term unemployed, few on the dole chill all day.

They worry about finding a job.
    They worry about paying for an unexpected expense.
    They worry about bills and food, and rent.
    They weigh up if they can afford to get out and have a coffee with a friend, or should they make an excuse.

I've no time for long term unemployed who have never worked, but I've been on the dole albeit for short terms (less than two months) and it was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You do have more though really. You have a retirement fund, you have future career prospects where you can earn a lot of money, you have the option to get work in another country, you can afford to pay for IVF when for a lot of people that isn't an option, medical card or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ivf is not covered on the medical card, at best they get a small discount.

OP just comes across as a bitter individual resenting those who earn more, those who are unemployed etc.

Anyone other than him is in a better position according to him, when in fact the higher paid pay more tax, and those on benefits can't access the likes of ivf

You just said you earned the equivalent of what the industrial average wage would be before tax as your net income. That means you must earn about 75k, putting you in the top 20% of earners in the country, and probably throughout much of the world.

Anyway, you're mad if you think the problem is some poor dole monkey struggling to heat his house in the winter and not the incredibly super rich people / companies who can pay people to make their tax bill disappear.

The system is broken alright but blaming it on the least powerful people in the system (who in all fairness you have it so much better than) is a bit nonsensical in my eyes.

You just said you earned the equivalent of what the industrial average wage would be before tax as your net income. That means you must earn about 75k, putting you in the top 20% of earners in the country, and probably throughout much of the world.

Nonsense. Someone on 45k earns 32k net highlilghting how little tax is paid at that level.

Someone on 75k will be paying far more tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Stheno wrote: »
    ivf is not covered on the medical card, at best they get a small discount.

OP just comes across as a bitter individual resenting those who earn more, those who are unemployed etc.

Anyone other than him is in a better position according to him, when in fact the higher paid pay more tax, and those on benefits can't access the likes of ivf
    In fairness, should those on benefits be trying for a baby they can't support?

Stheno wrote: »
    Nonsense. Someone on 45k earns 32k net highlilghting how little tax is paid at that level.

Someone on 75k will be paying far more tax.

Ha ha! Fair point, I blundered my figures! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Such a load of ****e of a thread. We are in debt, a huge amount of it.
    We wont be flying back to the time of 2005 where you bought a new car/house which you remortgage to di the kitchen anymore.
    There are good and bad things with living here.
    Considering the crap our government had to clear up I actually think they did a good job and I'm glad they are starting to give something back to us.
    If you think its unfair then hows this for fair. My wife is polish and has 2 masters in psychology from universities in Poland. Prestigious ones too.
    She was earning 400e after tax per month... That's 100e a week working your ass off and most of the money going on rent and food.
    You think we have it bad? Pfff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

bear1 wrote: »
    My wife is polish

Niiiiiiicccceee!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Why dont you do research? You always go on about it :rolleye:

also mr.finance investor are you still believing that your 2 mates are an accurate representation of ALL Grant recipients?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Still believing your bull**** that grant recipients chill all day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bear1 wrote: »
    Such a load of ****e of a thread. We are in debt, a huge amount of it.
    We wont be flying back to the time of 2005 where you bought a new car/house which you remortgage to di the kitchen anymore.
    There are good and bad things with living here.
    Considering the crap our government had to clear up I actually think they did a good job and I'm glad they are starting to give something back to us.
    If you think its unfair then hows this for fair. My wife is polish and has 2 masters in psychology from universities in Poland. Prestigious ones too.
    She was earning 400e after tax per month... That's 100e a week working your ass off and most of the money going on rent and food.
    You think we have it bad? Pfff
    If she had done 2 Masters in more useful subjects then she might not have had any problems.

What possessed her to do psychology?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I pay a lip-slobbering amount of tax, most of it pissed up a downpipe by loonies, or used to pay for ridiculous bank screwups, Fathead's latest boondoggle, etc. But anyone who begrudges someone on welfare the Christmas bonus should try living on the dole. I would like to see the tax-base broadened and the boot coming off the likes of me a little bit, the setup can be a small bit shall we say, disincentivizing. Some mornings it seems like it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps. I can't see it improving much, not while our fantastic employment figures are largely based on zero-hour contracts and Jobsbridge. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Should anyone? Should we have an income threshold for having children???

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭flunkyfearsome

These kids will pay for your pension, that's the circle of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭flunkyfearsome

bear1 wrote:
    Such a load of ****e of a thread. We are in debt, a huge amount of it. We wont be flying back to the time of 2005 where you bought a new car/house which you remortgage to di the kitchen anymore. There are good and bad things with living here. Considering the crap our government had to clear up I actually think they did a good job and I'm glad they are starting to give something back to us. If you think its unfair then hows this for fair. My wife is polish and has 2 masters in psychology from universities in Poland. Prestigious ones too. She was earning 400e after tax per month... That's 100e a week working your ass off and most of the money going on rent and food. You think we have it bad? Pfff

In fairness you could buy a gaff in Poland for €30 grand, the fags are like €2/3 . Cheap cost of living .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Standard response for a thread like this: if the dole is so good, why don't you go on it?

eeguy wrote: »
    Standard response for a thread like this: if the dole is so good, why don't you go on it?

I'll tell you this: I'm a lucky SOB. Whatever bill comes in the door, be it car insurance, insurance of any kind, utilities, repairs, motor tax, I just grab the cheque-book, pay it, and forget about it. People on the dole simply cannot do that. It's a constant stress and worry. That one thing alone horrifies me. I couldn't see myself coping with that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Sorry to hear about your struggle to conceive.

If IVF is supported by medical cards then I'm shocked -- it's not a medical necessity -- only a desire. It shouldn't be on the medical card (if it is).

You get one chance in Britain paid for.

Ireland and Lithuania are the only countries not to do this in the eu.

Infertility is listed as a disease in world
    health organisation.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'll tell you this: I'm a lucky SOB. Whatever bill comes in the door, be it car insurance, insurance of any kind, utilities, repairs, motor tax, I just grab the cheque-book, pay it, and forget about it. People on the dole simply cannot do that. It's a constant stress and worry. That one thing alone horrifies me. I couldn't see myself coping with that. :pac:

Do you not see how some people can feel hard done by if their working their balls off and can't afford a house or 3 kids and their neighbour who doesn't work has 3 kids and house paid for by the social?

The system is messed up in a lot of ways.

People go on about inequality. It definitely exists just not in the way the left tells us.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Do you not see how some people can feel hard done by if their working their balls off and can't afford a house or 3 kids and their neighbour who doesn't work has 3 kids and house paid for by the social?...

Absolutely. I would merely contend that having your rent paid with three kids and no job does not automatically necessarily mean that all is peachy.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    Absolutely. I would merely contend that having your rent paid with three kids and no job does not automatically necessarily mean that all is peachy.

It's a hell of a lot more a lot of working people can afford though.

Advertisement