Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of our society, government and taxation system

Options
  • 22-09-2015 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Im a bit fed up lads, we were chatting about it at work today and we're sick of getting out of bed in morning to feed our overly generous benefits system.

Where is the middle class revolution? USC rapes me on a monthly basis and if it werent for frugal spending id be screwed.

Then, the government has the audacity to give the christmas bonus this year? Wheres my bonus? A cut in PAYE/PRSI for christmas? Not a hope.

Instead I have to pay for long term layabouts, and those fannying at college just to get the odd grant.

Sick of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

cheers bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    cheers bud!

Do you work?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would you swap lifestyles with someone.on a couple of hundred a week?

I know I wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think you forgot the r in the last word of your user name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

They should sticky a Dole thread in AH.

• Advertisement

Would you swap lifestyles with someone.on a couple of hundred a week?

I know I wouldn't

If it meant i didnt have to pay rent then yes. I would be far better off than i am now

They should sticky a Dole thread in AH.

I think you missed the point. Its more of the middle class being rooted up the ass and doing nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Poor guy. Try cuba.

You wont get many countries that dont charge taxes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Leave. Seriously. There are amazing opportunities abroad.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Leave. Seriously. There are amazing opportunities abroad.

Planning on it.

• Advertisement

Poor guy. Try cuba.

You wont get many countries that dont charge taxes.

Dont mind taxation in the slightest. But the system is gamed to screw the middle classes for sure. Keep the rich and the poor happy, thats the way to gain votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I did find something especially egregious about there being a Christmas bonus on the dole, but it's a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things. The percentage of people on the dole that are long term layabouts is very low. They're the price we pay for a decent society. The rest would really like a job but can't find anything right now - or will soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Yes I'm sure poor people love being poor and having to rely on government benefits :rolleyes:

Dont mind taxation in the slightest. But the system is gamed to screw the middle classes for sure. Keep the rich and the poor happy, thats the way to gain votes.

Far better to execute the poor. You were already in the politics thread discussing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Planning on it.

Then the point of this thread is?

Seriously you could quit and go for all those benefits if you wanted to but you didn't because you know you have better prospects if you work. You can always choose to go down the earning pay scale, the difficulty is going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

Maybe if the middle class stopped blaming it all on the poor and those on welfare and instead directed all the anger towards the government and the people who have been getting richer and richer all this time, then some change might happen. But instead they just keep blaming the dole scum, working class and people living off handouts while the rich keep getting richer off the back of everyone.

Zillah wrote: »
    I did find something especially egregious about there being a Christmas bonus on the dole, but it's a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things. The percentage of people on the dole that are long term layabouts is very low. They're the price we pay for a decent society. The rest would really like a job but can't find anything right now - or will soon.

I agree. I do genuinely believe that "layabouts" for want of a better word are a minority

However, I feel that I on a modest wage have very little to show for it due to taxation, and its clear i am not the only one.

Where is the incentive to get educated if the tax system will take a large cut to give to those with no aspirations?

I have never seen a grant for anyone at college doing any good, they mostly end up dropping out. Two of my mates milked the system in college, and never finished their course. They are now going back aged 25 as mature students, milking the system again

Maybe if the middle class stopped blaming it all on the poor and those on welfare and instead directed all the anger towards the government and the people who have been getting richer and richer all this time, then some change might happen. But instead they just keep blaming the dole scum, working class and people living off handouts while the rich keep getting richer off the back of everyone.

Indeed, I agree wholeheartedly.

I have no problem with the rich getting rich. It provides incentive - maybe if I work hard I can be like them

188 squid a week for doing bugger all, at 30K a year, once my rent is gone and bills are paid, id be glad to have 188 quid a week left

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I agree. I do genuinely believe that "layabouts" for want of a better word are a minority

However, I feel that I on a modest wage have very little to show for it due to taxation, and its clear i am not the only one.

Wait until you earn a less modest wage and pay even more tax as a percentage of your gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Far better to execute the poor. You were already in the politics thread discussing this.

There are far less rich people. Obviously more cost effective to execute them instead ;)

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Then the point of this thread is?

Seriously you could quit and go for all those benefits if you wanted to but you didn't because you know you have better prospects if you work. You can always choose to go down the earning pay scale, the difficulty is going up.
    The point of the thread is for the usual lads to come over and start bandying around "they are all scroungers" "they only buy booze and fags" "give nothing to society" "yeah but why do I have to pay my taxes" "I want a bonus" "old ones are loaded anyway" "disgrace" "lefties again" "loads of jobs"

and all other various crap that gets posted every few weeks to a chorus of back patting by similarly opinionated people. The facts are ignored for more of the same crap. Must be some kind of ego boost they get per "thanks"

Never once did i say this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Where is the incentive to get educated if the tax system will take a large cut to give to those with no aspirations?

I have never seen a grant for anyone at college doing any good, they mostly end up dropping out. Two of my mates milked the system in college, and never finished their course. They are now going back aged 25 as mature students, milking the system again

I think the issue here is your friends. I know people who got grants and all have made it through college and are now working (except one who has only just finished).

Stheno wrote: »
    Wait until you earn a less modest wage and pay even more tax as a percentage of your gross.

Not quite, im slightly over the 41% bracket, id be better off on an easier job, and less stressed if i had a less modest wage

The point of the thread is for the usual lads to come over and start bandying around "they are all scroungers" "they only buy booze and fags" "give nothing to society" "yeah but why do I have to pay my taxes" "I want a bonus" "old ones are loaded anyway" "disgrace" "lefties again" "loads of jobs"

and all other various crap that gets posted every few weeks to a chorus of back patting by similarly opinionated people. The facts are ignored for more of the same crap. Must be some kind of ego boost they get per "thanks"

My ego doesnt rely on the number of thanks i get in a thread, thank you very much

I am just saying that the middle class has no balls to rise up against unfair taxation

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My ego doesnt rely on the number of thanks i get in a thread, thank you very much

I am just saying that the middle class has no balls to rise up against unfair taxation

So how do you propose we change how people are taxed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

If it meant i didnt have to pay rent then yes. I would be far better off than i am now

I see your point I have mates that are working for pittance every week,they don't see much of a future here,its not enough to save for a house and soon they'll be at an age were a bank won't look at them for a mortgage,so there kinda what's the point of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

there are plenty of opportunities in countries which aren't as blatantly corrupt as ours. Sure all countries have a bit of corruption going on, but no-one tries to hide it here. Banks write the property legislation, unions write the healthcare & education policies, and the government pick and choose which EU guidance to follow based on which lobby groups shout loudest.....yes we will take on water charges, no we wont bother taking on pharmaceutical, medical or legal charges which are amongst the highest in Europe.
    I suggest Canada or Australia. yes you work hard, but you get rewarded, and for relatively high taxes you actually get public services whichdo what they're supposed to by in large, and the government don't deny that they are in the palm of the construction/oil/mining industry.

I think you'll find that most recipients of social welfare payments don't get rent allowance and as such have to pay for rent, food, esb, etc out of the 188 they get a week. It's not a great life and pretty much all those who are genuinely looking for work have to scrape by from week to week and God forbid something unexpected pops up.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    So how do you propose we change how people are taxed?

Numerous ideas.

First, decentivise social welfare. lower it for under 25s again. a 24 month period for the rest unless they find a job; if they dont, its lowered.

Make child benefit less attractive by lowering it. It will make 18 year full time mommys less likely to open their legs

Scrap jobsbrige immediately, or whatever they are calling that tripe nowadays

One chance at getting a grant for college, you fail, thats it. No coming back at 25 again.

Bring more people into the tax net, at both lower and higher ends.

Introduce an ISA system as per the UK for saving and investing, also drop CAT and CGT

Advertisement