Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swearing - a ****ing **** way of expressing yourself?

Options
  • 20-09-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

its been suggested that people who swear tend to be more honest, open, transparent people, rather than those who don't and look down their nose at others for doing so. I always look at people who claim not to swear and think ''what are you like when you're angry, like really pissed off''?

Im a casual swearer who'll drop it in to conversation very often. I do think it's necessary to realise that there are other ways of expressing yourself and balance it out with the swearing. And train yourself to tone it down in certain environments. But i'll never cut out the swearing completely. Oh **** no.

how often do you swear? whats your take on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

People who need to swear profusely are poorly articulated gowls who can't get their point across without trying to force it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I don't swear. I curse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Nothing wrong with it.

Sometimes saying something is a load of bollocks is far more expressive than saying something is rubbish etc.

Swear words are just a combination of letters nothing to get offended about they're no more or less offensive than supposedly proper english words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Believe it or not, I have never actually sworn or even used bad language in my fucking life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

It's a **** **** way of **** **** ****ing ****ers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

People who need to swear profusely are poorly articulated gowls who can't get their point across without trying to force it.

Fair enough, but what about those who don't need to but choose to?

Also I think you mean "inarticulate", "poorly articulated" implies a lack of movable joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Robsweezie wrote: »
    how often do you swear? whats your take on it?

I curse like a sailor. I tried to cut down on it for a while, but now I just don't give a... fanny, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Usually people who swear a lot of the time are gombeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Bullshit.

Kev W wrote: »

Also I think you mean "inarticulate", "poorly articulated" implies a lack of movable joints.

Every day is a school day.

That's what I'm on about. Cursing but not needing to for no reason other than to sound hard or intimidate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I curse like a sailor. I tried to cut down on it for a while, but now I just don't give a... fanny, tbh.

Me too. I dont even realise im doing it. I dont find it offensive unless its being used to offend

brummytom wrote: »
    Bullshit.

Hardly. How many videos or instances have you seen of people in altercations not getting their own way and then being cursing and swearing when if they had been polite they would have got what they wanted.
    I have been in a few of them working in shops and when they start cursing, you just switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

If I had a lack of moveable joints I would be annoyed enough to swear too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Every day is a school day.

That's what I'm on about. Cursing but not needing to for no reason other than to sound hard or intimidate.

Well yeah but that's pretty specific. Those people will do a lot more than swear to look/sound hard/intimidating. Lots of very intelligent people swear up a storm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

No problem with people who swear during the course of their day. But I get really annoyed at people who just swear for the sake of swearing. Thinking it makes them some kind of hard or tough. As an example...... Twenty minutes ago the brother in law just used 14 expletives in three languages while shouting at his phone... The problem was it needed to be charged. I also once witnessed him do a 30 second monologue which probably contained at least 60 fücks or variations on it because he tried to push a door that said pull!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭amandstu

Why do we not accept "bad language" from our "representatives" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I used to casually swear, like oh s*** if I stubbed my toes for example but then my niece and nephew came along and I didn't want to accidentally swear in front of them so I made a conscious decision to stop. Now I say oh sugar and sound like a nerd but at least I don't have a three year old saying oh s*** after learning it from me. The only time I swear now is in the car when some dope does something stupid ... I get terrible road rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I have a bit of a temper so when something goes wrong or if I'm stuck in traffic I'd turn the air blue although I'm trying to cut down on the bad language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Swearing is like a spice, it brings out the flavour in language, but you wouldn't want to eat a whole spoonful of it on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭amandstu

Should swearing be a private activity and be less acceptable when done "in public" ?

I would consider it bad form to swear in company that you did not think would appreciate it (and it might almost be bad form not to swear in company that "expected it" )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I shared a house with a lad years ago, where every second or third word was f×ck. He's was an awful eejit.
    "Yeah man, f×ck like yeah f×ck it, I'm going for a f×cling shower then I'm going to the f×cking pub"

I used to love it when he was gone home to mammy every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its a societal thing - the language on here is much more coarse than UK/American forums. Sorry, I regard anybody who swears the same way as Lloyd George said of DeValera - 'he is a man of limited vocabulary '

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I swear very often. I'd talk a lot slower if everyone else didn't seem to want to blast in with their comments as soon as there is a pause for breath. Instead I have to speak like an auctioneer using **** as punctuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Frynge wrote: »
    No problem with people who swear during the course of their day. But I get really annoyed at people who just swear for the sake of swearing. Thinking it makes them some kind of hard or tough. As an example...... Twenty minutes ago the brother in law just used 14 expletives in three languages while shouting at his phone... The problem was it needed to be charged. I also once witnessed him do a 30 second monologue which probably contained at least 60 fücks or variations on it because he tried to push a door that said pull!

If that is literally true, you should be proud of the fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

recipio wrote: »
    Its a societal thing - the language on here is much more coarse than UK/American forums. Sorry, I regard anybody who swears the same way as Lloyd George said of DeValera - 'he is a man of limited vocabulary '

It's create when you can create categories that you can shove people into and turn your nose up at.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Depends on the situation. Driving or playing the Xbox on line seems to bring out the worst. I tone it down around the kids, my parents, or in a professional environment. Although I do play football with a lot of people from work and it's funny to see the language difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

If any poster in this thread happens to call a phone help line tomorrow, e.g. for technical support of banking enquiry, wondering will any of ya swear? See how far it will get ya. Go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I think there's a difference between using a well-placed swear word and all your sentences being littered with swear words. If you use them all the time, they lose their impact, and it does kinda seem like you don't have a great vocabulary. I've always said a well-placed swear word is a beautiful thing, but it being well-placed is down to it being impactful or just the right word to use at the time. Swear words are also great for punctuation. If you use them all the time, and use many per sentence, you lose all this and it does point to inarticulacy also.

But people who say that people who use swear words ever are unintelligent are just plain wrong. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

recipio wrote: »

Your two statements don't really gel. Is it a societal thing or does it signify a limited vocabulary? The two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive but I doubt you'd accuse a whole society of being limited vocabulary-wise. And if you did, that would just be stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 F412

In curse constantly, couldnt get through a day's work without it particularly when things are going wrong. I'd say I curse in nearly every sentence.

Advertisement