Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary schools to get Tricolour for 1916 centenary

Options
  • 14-09-2015 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

One of the initiatives to mark the centenary of the 1916 Rising begins today, when the delivery of a national flag to every primary school in the country gets under way.

St Patrick's National School in Islandeady, Co Mayo, has been selected as the first school to be presented with the national flag this morning.

A ceremony at each location will see members of the Defences Forces raise the flag and read the proclamation to pupils and teachers.

They will also give background information on the symbolism of the Tricolour and the etiquette attached to its display and storage.

The countrywide project forms part of the State's effort to mark the 1916 centenary.

They will also be encouraged to research their own family history back 100 years and see what their ancestors were doing around the time of the Rising.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0914/727644-1916-rising/

Great idea, but it be my opinion that the tricolour should be always flown at public schools,also some folks be in for a shock if they do research and go back and see what there ancestors were doing, have to check out mine again.

So is it a good idea or not AH .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

realies wrote: »

They will also be encouraged to research their own family history back 100 years and see what their ancestors were doing around the time of the Rising.

Be some laugh if the ancestors were part of the firing squad at Kilmainham jail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Great idea.

We should be proud of our flag and the sacrifice those that have gone before us made to give us freedom and equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

realies wrote: »
    One of the initiatives to mark the centenary of the 1916 Rising begins today, when the delivery of a national flag to every primary school in the country gets under way.

St Patrick's National School in Islandeady, Co Mayo, has been selected as the first school to be presented with the national flag this morning.

A ceremony at each location will see members of the Defences Forces raise the flag and read the proclamation to pupils and teachers.

They will also give background information on the symbolism of the Tricolour and the etiquette attached to its display and storage.

The countrywide project forms part of the State's effort to mark the 1916 centenary.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0914/727644-1916-rising/

Great idea, but it be my opinion that the tricolour should be always flown at public schools,also some folks be in for a shock if they do research and go back and see what there ancestors were doing, have to check out mine again.

So is it a good idea or not AH .

I'd say the soldiers ordered out to do that mission are going to love it , every primary school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Will they be given the flag pole as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

And so it begins.Lord have mercy on us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Will they be given the flag pole as well?

A child will be hoisted into the tallest tree at the school and will be made stand to attention throughout the day whilst holding the flag. If any child starts to moan he will denounced as a traitor and shot with a sliotar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

They are going to be delivering copies of the 1916 Proclamation as well, aren't they?

I wonder how they will explain the part which says
    Until our arms have brought the opportune moment for the establishment of a permanent National Government, representative of the whole people of Ireland and elected by the suffrages of all her men and women, the Provisional Government, hereby constituted, will administer the civil and military affairs of the Republic in trust for the people.

The last I checked, their arms hadn't yet brought about a permanent National Government, representative of the whole people of Ireland.

About time we started embracing our national flag. I think all public places should have it flown proudly. I really like the way the Americans are proud of their flag and wish we could be as proud of ours.

Similarly the main square in Mexico city has a gigantic Mexican flag and it's impressive tbh.

I'd certainly like to see one on O'Connell Street rather than the bland giant steel syringe that sits in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's a bloody great idea ,
    We've organised guest speakers and stuff for our local school to go along with a flag ceremony.
    Kids will be taught how to look after the flags by the army so yeah kids get to learn about the flag and it's history

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I'd certainly like to see one on O'Connell Street rather than the bland giant steel syringe that sits in the middle of it.

It suits the area though. Like the big daddy of Dublin City centre syringes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

About time we started embracing our national flag. I think all public places should have it flown proudly. I really like the way the Americans are proud of their flag and wish we could be as proud of ours.

Similarly the main square in Mexico city has a gigantic Mexican flag and it's impressive tbh.

Has there ever been a flag on top of it? There should be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

kneemos wrote: »
    And so it begins.Lord have mercy on us.

six months of unceasing propoganda culminating in the messiest pissup the state has ever seen followed the week after by everyone in the country resuming to bitch about how it's the worst place to live since somalia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Cool, sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We used to have one in primary school . We'd line up in rows and sing the anthem as it was being raised.
    Biggest pain in the hole ever.They should know by now that forcing kids to worship stuff just turns them against it.

Just stick one in the post lads and don't embarrassing the soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The reason why I posted the question about the pole was.
    I know a few teachers and whenever they get a green flag/water safety flag. They've to find money out of the school budget for the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The reason why I posted the question about the pole was.
    I know a few teachers and whenever they get a green flag/water safety flag. They've to find money out of the school budget for the pole.

That's a lot a flag poles then just for green flags

But in honesty most primary schools I know have 1-3 flag poles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Yes but with no "Davy Keogh Says Hello" s**te written across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

All school going children should be made dress head to toe in black with a white shirt and black beret and tri colour sunglasses.
    And learn to march too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fleg? Fleg, fleg, fleg, fleg, fleg, fleg, fleg.

FLEG!!! Flllleeeeeeeeeggggg!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Those of us old enough to have been in national school at (or in my case shortly after) the 50th anniversary of the Rising remember that every classroom had a framed copy of the Declaration of the Republic on the wall along with photographs of the seven signatories, who were all later put up against a wall and shot.

Pearse, Connolly, Clarke, Ceannt, McDonagh, McDiarmada, Plunkett

Found it very useful when arguing with Englishmen about the fact that so many players on the RoI soccer team were born in Britain. I could argue that two of that seven, namely Connolly and Clarke, were also born in Britain (Connolly spoke with a Scottish accent all his life) and if all the likes of Kevin Kilbane and Andy Townsend wanted to do was play soccer, what was your feckin' problem?

I see no problem with commemorating this event in our history as long as we do so with some detachment. As people have said, more of us are likely to have had ancestors in the police opposing the rising than among the rebels themselves. So what? That's history. It's full of ironies. And none of them need be fatal as long as we stare them squarely in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

All the money spent on flags.

WHAT ABOUT THE HOMELESS?

osarusan wrote: »

WHAT ABOUT THE HOMELESS?

And THE HOSPITALS?

Bet Denis O'Brien is making the flags and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

osarusan wrote: »

WHAT ABOUT THE HOMELESS?

Things are about to go Joe Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Great idea.

We should be proud of our flag and the sacrifice those that have gone before us made to give us freedom and equality.

Indeed we should, and we should start with those uneducated dregs that deface our national flag on sporting occasions and cheap package holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wonder how many offended people will make an issue out of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

2016, a celebration of failure and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

RobertKK wrote: »

How edgy, I can't wait to hear that from every cnut that wants to go against the grain over the next year:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Thanks to Biko for posting this originally

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

RobertKK wrote: »
    And quite fittingly, resurrection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Strider wrote: »
    How edgy, I can't wait to hear that from every cnut that wants to go against the grain over the next year:pac:

It is what I believed for years. It also led to lots of records relating to Irish people being destroyed.

Let's not forget most of the locals didn't support the 1916 rising until the British carried out those executions.
    The people didn't care about the proclamation.
    It would have been accepted as total failure if the British hadn't executed the men.

Advertisement