Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you date someone who was overweight ?

• 13-09-2015 5:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

I would. I find women who have a bit of weight on them incredibly sexy I just don't know why.

Would you ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Depends on how big their boobs are I guess :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I don't mind weight too much, not a big deal for me. All about the face. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

No, I don't find it attractive and I'd also end a relationship with someone who allowed themselves to become overweight (unless it was a result of valid health issues, then I'd look past it and stick with them no questions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

No, I don't find it attractive and I'd also end a relationship with someone who allowed themselves to become overweight (unless it was a result of valid health issues, then I'd look past it and stick with them no questions)

Pretty shallow don't you think ?

Yes. And?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Yes. And?

What if you got on well with them ? Would you not look past their weight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If they were good looking then yeah.

What if you got on well with them ? Would you not look past their weight ?

Like I said in the brackets, if it was due to health issues of course I'd look past it. But if it was a result of laziness and excessive and bad eating habits, which it mostly is, and they refused to change their ways I'd end it. Just being honest. I'd expect the same, if I was with someone and I went from being in shape to overweight, it would hurt but, I'd completely understand them ending it. Physical/sexual attraction is a big part of relationships and life in general, as much as some insecure and low self esteem people try to deny this fact, and everyone should strive to be in their best shape both mentally and physically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Simple rule, if the boobs go out further than the belly it's fine!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Depends on one's definition too, but no, mostly for the reasons Doyouevenlift gave. Plus I'm thin myself so like with like comes into it I suppose? My "rule" would be lighter than me is what I go for. I just don't find heavy women attractive. I have tried in the past to get past it, but nope. Women often enough state their preference for taller men and that's fine too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Generally you'll find overweight men date or marry overweight women.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Women often enough state their preference for taller men and that's fine too.
    Good point, never really thought about that as a comparison. As long as someone isn't being nasty there's no issue with what basically boils down to personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

No. Healthy people who are over weight disgust me. How hard is it to look after yourself? Then making excuses about trying every diet and that their metabolism must be slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

It's a tough one. I've been through a horrific time with my personal life in the past couple of years and as a result, I've an extra couple of stone on at the moment, so to be honest I'd probably be more comfortable dating someone who was also overweight. I mean I don't want to be with a man who I'd crush in bed! :eek: :o

But then again, for me, I see the extra weight as a temporary thing and I'm actively trying to lose it. It'll take time but I'm working on it. So I can't help thinking, what if I get myself all fit and skinny, but am dating an overweight man who I mightn't necessarily have been attracted to if I hadn't been overweight myself when I met him ...

I guess my answer is that someone being overweight wouldn't be an automatic turn-off for me, but I'd hope that they were at least working on trying to get fitter.

I don't see anything wrong with anyone saying a flat-out NO to dating an overweight person. Different people are attracted to different body types. I wouldn't date a man who was shorter than me, so I see nothing wrong with anyone being unattracted to someone of the opposite sex who was too fat / too skinny / whatever, it's just a matter of personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Originally Posted by DoYouEvenLift View Post

ITs more naive too , many a friend was seeing a fit healthy girl who coupled with kids and more maturing age increased their frame significantly.
    What's he going to do ? walk out on his kids cos "your ma is fat"
    :rolleyes:

Some posters here are liars or young folk with no experience of the **** they preach about.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

There are a lot of variations off over weight, slightly to obese

So for me it would be about their lifestyle choices - Eating, drinking, smoking, exercise habits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Kids and getting older don't make you fat. We've a 17 stone rule in our house, go over that and the others free to walk.

somuj wrote: »
    No. Healthy people who are over weight disgust me. How hard is it to look after yourself? Then making excuses about trying every diet and that their metabolism must be slow.

I don't know about metabolism but some people have to work harder than others to maintain a weight. Personally speaking I could do a good solid month in the gym alongside reasonable eating and controlling alcohol intake.

But all it takes is a week of taking it handy to visibly undo that month's worth of hard effort.

So basically I have to be in the gym every week, for 3/4 days minimum, to keep my weight reasonable. How many people that are slim can say they have to do the same?

On topic.

something about small girls 5'2 or less that are chubby I find very attractive. IT's probably the big tits on such a small frame does it for me.

I generally like women to take care of themselves and keep slim(ish) but I'm 38 and unless I start dating ladies more than 10 years younger than me I'm finding it hard to find ladies who don't have a few pounds on them.

That said my "liking" criteria has broadened with my own advancing years -"I'd bang the arse off her" is still a criteria but it's not the only one any more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Jon Stark wrote: »

So basically I have to be in the gym every week, for 3/4 days minimum, to keep my weight reasonable. How many people that are slim can say they have to do the same?

regular exercise and not making a pig of yourself is not some unattainable ideal

jesus

• Advertisement

Kids and getting older don't make you fat. We've a 17 stone rule in our house, go over that and the others free to walk.

this is true but essentially that is what happens.
    happens to the guys too.

It's not the reason but the correlation is there. I see it with male friends all the time, they get settled and comfortable with a few kids and stop living the life they used to have while that may mean no more MDMA and all day sessions its sadly means no more sport or gym too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It depends on your definition of "overweight" really - I don't buy into all this BMI crap as from what I've seen virtually everyone is "overweight" by those standards. It also depends on how they carry that weight as shape can account for a lot. Personally speaking the wafer-thin look does nothing for me. Call me old-fashioned, but I like a woman with decent curves - that said though there's limits too but it'd be on an individual basis for me.

To be honest I'm far more put off by someone who can't say what they mean or doesn't know what they want and/or with no ambition (be it career, personal, education, travel etc)
    Also people who want to be "kept" as believe me they're still out there. Not saying everything has to be 50/50 but as long as there's an honest effort. After that I'm pretty easy going really.

But as this is AH.. boobs.. it's all about the boobs :p

strelok wrote: »
    regular exercise and not making a pig of yourself is not some unattainable ideal

jesus

Depends on what you call regular exercise. I'd be fairly confident that what I call regular exercise pisses all over yours. :)

Noooooooooo!

You say you don't find it attractive, you accept it's shallow...but then you have this big explanation that it's not really about their appearance but it's this much deeper issue about their lack of discipline.

Stick to your guns. You can admit that it's because physically it's not very appealing or attractive! It's the reason I would be reluctant, but it would largely depend on degree, plump would be no issue but the whole waddling with arms stuck out think, just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Yes, I would. If someone else wouldn't, that's their right and is fine.

As long as you're not a dick about it, work away. These type of threads invariably end up just being a sound board for some people to bash fat women.

But yeah, I would date someone overweight, and I'd also see nothing wrong with the likes of Wibbs' opinion/preference either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Noooooooooo!

You say you don't find it attractive, you accept it's shallow...but then you have this big explanation that it's not really about their appearance but it's this much deeper issue about their lack of discipline.

Stick to your guns. You can admit that it's because physically it's not very appealing or attractive! It's the reason I would be reluctant, but it would largely depend on degree, plump would be no issue but the whole waddling with arms stuck out think, just no.

I completely agree with this. Moralising couched in aesthetics.

Yes, I would. If someone else wouldn't, that's their right and is fine.

As long as you're not a dick about it, work away. These type of threads invariably end up just being a sound board for some people to bash fat women.

But yeah, I would date someone overweight, and I'd also see nothing wrong with the likes of Wibbs' opinion/preference either.

It depends on how overweight.

Also I don't have one particular criteria, if the person is worth it as a whole the particulars can be negotiated through in my view.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Depends on what you call regular exercise. I'd be fairly confident that what I call regular exercise pisses all over yours. :)

possibly, i eat well and keep an eye on my caloric intake though so my level of exercise has more to do with my health than my weight. I certainly don't make a habit of scoffing down enough food in a week that I'd undo a months worth of sustained exercise.

Funnily enough I did do just that this week. 3 kebabs, 2 chinese takeaways. my body doesn't look all that different. I do feel like a fat **** though.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It depends on your definition of "overweight" really - I don't buy into all this BMI crap as from what I've seen virtually everyone is "overweight" by those standards. It also depends on how they carry that weight as shape can account for a lot. Personally speaking the wafer-thin look does nothing for me

well yes. that is the issue. just about everybody is overweight because we're in the middle of an obesity epidemic and having dangerous levels of bodyfat is just the new normal. people just don't realise how little extra fat you need before it becomes an issue. you don't have to be american deathfat before your doctor oughta be pointing it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Depends on how overweight and what her face and personality are like. For example, there's a girl who works in my local Halfords. She's a bit on the heavy side but has a beautiful face and seems fairly sound. So I'd date her no problem. However if she was very overweight the physical attraction just would't be there.

• Advertisement

Noooooooooo!

i dont find smoking attractive. it's not a physical appearance issue but it does affect how attractive a person is to me.

like.... wat? that is a crazy point to make, there is a lot more to attractiveness than just the physical. even for a troglodyte subhuman beast like your typical male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

General rule : if you cannot lift them, it's time to ditch them!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

General rule : if you cannot lift them, it's time to ditch them!

is this why you see so few gym rat paedophiles?

i dont find smoking attractive. it's not a physical appearance issue but it does affect how attractive a person is to me.

like.... wat? that is a crazy point to make, there is a lot more to attractiveness than just the physical. even for a troglodyte subhuman beast like your typical male.

But he said he was shallow.

So for all the explanations about discipline, he was pretty much saying he was at the troglodyte end of the scale. Which is fine, I was merely saying he didn't have to squirm and reach for a more highbrow explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

we're in the middle of an obesity epidemic

Sounds like a bit of a tight squeeze... :pac:

Meh, it wouldn't be an immediate deterrent, put it that way, nor would being skinny either (nor would any other physical trait if I'm being completely honest). I'm more sexually attracted to women who are fat, but it'd take a lot more than just finding someone sexually attractive before I'd consider any more than a ONS.

arayess wrote: »
    ITs more naive too , many a friend was seeing a fit healthy girl who coupled with kids and more maturing age increased their frame significantly.
    What's he going to do ? walk out on his kids cos "your ma is fat"
    :rolleyes:

Some posters here are liars or young folk with no experience of the **** they preach about.

Good thing I won't be having those.

• Advertisement

Good thing I won't be having those.

that's not a bad plan
    my kid is wrecking my head this weekend :(

But he said he was shallow.

So for all the explanations about discipline, he was pretty much saying he was at the troglodyte end of the scale. Which is fine, I was merely saying he didn't have to squirm and reach for a more highbrow explanation.

of course it's shallow. it's shallow to rule out any person for any one issue. ruling out somebody for being a smoker is equally shallow, you won't find anybody accusing me of being a bastard for it though.

of course it's shallow. it's shallow to rule out any person for any one issue. ruling out somebody for being a smoker is equally shallow, you won't find anybody accusing me of being a bastard for it though.

But smoking is not directly comparable.

Because of course it need not impact on appearance at all.

A far more direct comparison would be would you date someone who was ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I said it once, and I'll say it again:

Fat chicks do more stuff.

Not shallow. No one wants someone whose going to die on them, health, fertility, sex performance, lots of things with smoking.

• Advertisement

smoking absolutely does impact appearance. maybe in the short them you can get away with it but long-term it definitely affects how you look and that's one of the reasons quite a few people have no qualms about blanket rejecting smokers

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Not shallow. No one wants someone whose going to die on them, health, fertility, sex performance, lots of things with smoking.

how is that any different to obesity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Le Surge Eyed Amant

No, I most certainly would not. The obesity epidemic is quite frankly disgusting. Fat people also make me sad when I look at them. Everyone is entitled to their preferences when it comes to a persons appearance, and one of my main preferences is for someone to be relatively in shape. Ideally, they would be very very slim, but I'm realistic and anyone who is in a healthy weight range is okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Smoking absolutely impacts upon a person's appearance? :confused:

It's not really, because 'ugly' is an entirely subjective standard, as opposed to various standards of weight. A more direct comparison is something a person can do something about, not something they can't, so height wouldn't be a direct comparison either.

how is that any different to obesity?

Yeah...true... Overweight - obesity.... There is a spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Fat = ugly, lazy and disgusting. No thanks.

smoking absolutely does impact appearance. maybe in the short them you can get away with it but long-term it definitely affects how you look and that's one of the reasons quite a few people have no qualms about blanket rejecting smokers

Well you keep telling yourself you would turn down Sienna Miller, Rihanna, Selma Hayek, Eva Mendes, Heather Locklear, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lopez and others because smoking has or will "definitely impact" on their appearance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I don't agree.

What's shallow about having standards and personal preference?

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Yeah...true... Overweight - obesity.... There is a spectrum.

sure, but the problems of obesity are quite common in the overweight too. it's more a matter of scale for the obese, they issues become even more serious. that's before you even mention the general problem people tend to have recognising obesity before it reaches morbid levels as we have become so accustomed to it

as you say, it all depends and there is a scale. lots of people find lots of different things attractive and are more or less willing to put up with things they find unattractive. you only have to pay minor attention to your surroundings to see that the majority of people have no problem dating someone who is overweight

Well you keep telling yourself you would turn down Sienna Miller, Rihanna, Selma Hayek, Eva Mendes, Heather Locklear, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lopez and others because smoking has or will "definitely impact" on their appearance!

They have a lot of money to correct the damage and Photoshop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement