Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Terrorism in the USA!

Options
  • 12-09-2015 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭

“Our small group will soon be faced with the fight of our lives. We will offer those lives as collateral to prove our commitment to our God. We shall be Warriors who will inflict horrible numbers of casualties upon the enemies of our Nation and World Peace.”

“If there’s a gun fight, well there’s a gun fight. And I want to come home ’cause I love my family and I want to see my kids again. But I also understand that if it’s necessary to die then that’s a good way to die”

“When we meet with this state, the people that we seek will know who we are. We will be cruel to them. And we will burn down their buildings.”

“our standoff gunner will take them down from 350 yards. The standoff gunner would be me.”

“[The target area] is vulnerable from many approaches and must be utterly destroyed in order to get the attention of the American people.”

“Those guys (ought or have) to be killed. Their buildings need to be burnt down. If we can get in there and do that not losing a man, even the better.”

These are the words of a terrorist whose plot to kill and burn down buildings in New York this summer were thwarted by police. Pretty vile, disgusting stuff I think we can all agree, and strange given how much attention Islamic terrorism, especially in the US, and especially in New York, has been given over the last 14 years. I am sure I am not the only one who found it strange that this was so under reported, but then I found out why.

This was a Christian terrorist named Robert Doggart plotting to murder Muslims and burn their buildings and town of Islamberg to the ground.

He was actually arrested back in April, five months ago. Did anybody hear about it, and if so was it in anything more than just a brief footnote? Strange isn't it, how

So why was this so under reported?
    1. Location? Nope. The US is perhaps the world's largest media market (see: Boston Bombing). New York is probably the most major media market within it, and since 9/11, we hear more about Christian/Islamic relations in that part of the USA, more than anywhere else in the world.

2. He's a nobody. Again, nope. He actually ran for office in Tennessee last year on the far right. This is a recipe for an extremely juicy news story.

3. He is just a random lunatic. Nope. He got 9,200 votes - 6% of the electorate - in that election. He is very clearly not alone, and very clearly has a fairly large and dangerous following or extremists and fundamentalists.

4. He is a sole operator, not a ring leader... maybe he just snapped. Nope nope nope! This was planned out over time, and in the worlds of the man himself: “I’ve got this battalion that I command and they want to go up to uh a place and take action. There is all these people all over the country that what to start what we call a flash point. … so sick and tired of this crap that the government is pulling that we go take a small military installation or we go burn down a Muslim church or something like that.” The attack in question supposedly was to have 9 other people involved.

5. Suggestions, anyone?

Here we have a politician, a public figure with a backing of over 9,000 people in his constituency alone and as militant battalion behind him, planning to go to one of the media capitals of the entire world to burn a small town of 200 or so to the ground entirely on the grounds of religious hatred, who was willing to murder anyone who got in his way, and who was willing to die for his cause and his "God" (does that remind anyone of anything?). But hardly a mention of it anywhere...

So let's look at when it was mentioned.
    Daily Mail article. Mentions of the word Christian: 0. The article talks more about terrorism in relation to the occupants of the town, than of the confessed terrorist himself. In doing so it cites Fox News, so let's jump over there for a sec...
    *But first, here are two articles on the Lee Rigby murder. The first has the word Muslims/Islam in there 10times. The second has it mentioned over 30 times! Strange then, that they failed to use the word Christian even once in this story.

Fox News report. Use of the word Christian: 0.
    Lee Rigby comparison. Use of the words Muslim/Islam/Allah: 16 (including twice in the title!).

NBC News, two articles 1 & 2. Mentions of the word Christian: 0
    Rigby comparison. Use of the words Muslim/Allah/Islam/etc: 11.

CBS article. Uses of the word Christian: 0
    Lee Rigby comparison. Uses of the words Muslim/Islam/Allah: 6

Guardian article: Mentions of the world Christian: 1. Holy sh*t, someone mentioned it!! Typical 'liberal leftie, SJW, PC, etc, etc' to report the facts like that. :mad:
    Lee Rigby comparison. Mentions of the words Muslim/Islam/Allah: 9

Total tallies of the word 'Christian' for a story of a Christian terrorist: 1
    Total tallies of the words 'Muslim/Islam/Allah' etc for a story of Muslim terrorists: over 80.

Anyone care to explain this discrepancy? This guy's whole agenda and terrorist campaign was built on religious extremism, so why did everybody above (outside of the Guardian) feel this was best to just be ignored?

I would include the BBC, but I cannot even find a single article on Doggart on there! And the same for Sky News. Both are 24 hour news channels, so it's not like there was no time to report on them; they simply chose not to. Again, no mention of him in the Irish Times, or the Irish Independent.

Anyone care to explain why these places chose not to report on this?

Edit: Search results in After Hours before posting this for mentions of Doggart: 0.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It didn't get a lot of coverage because nothing actually happened. You're comparing it against an actual murder.

And as for the christian thing, yes he is a lone nut. You don't have vast quantities of Christians doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mother Brain

American media pushing disgruntled rich white agenda shocker..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Is there not hundreds if not thousands of plots plans and fantasys stopped in there tracks every year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It didn't get a lot of coverage because nothing actually happened. You're comparing it against an actual murder.

And as for the christian thing, yes he is a lone nut. You don't have vast quantities of Christians doing this.

Nothing happens with the fort dix 5 but it got huge amounts of coverage.

Also how many Muslims committed terrorist attacks in the states in the last 10 years

How many Christian committed terrorist attacks in the states in the last ten years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Shhh the OP has to push his agenda. Dont use facts against him bully :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

it's almost like islamic terrorism and dangerous fundamentalism is a huge worldwide story in recent history in ways that christian militias and local terrorism just hasn't been

nah, it's just racism. isn't it OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Propaganda fail, OP.

Must try harder; has potential but needs to apply themselves.
    1/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

What did I just read?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What did I just read?

Dunno , but I got new trainers yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I was not comparing in terms of coverage with that, I was comparing how much attention was paid to their religion, hence listing the mentions of Muslim vs Christian. Why is it that whenever Christian terrorism occurs, it is not described as such but when they are Muslim it is typically mentioned 10+ times?

If he were a lone nut, he would not have a group of people involved in the plot with him, and with 9,000 votes (6%) in his constituency there clearly are more than a few like-minded people behind him. It's very surprising it didn't get more mention in the news due to that alone, plenty of foiled conspiracies get given attention.

What would you consider a 'vast quantity' to be?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

OP sort of has a point though. How many times have you heard on some TV news station about "terror plot foiled" (usually in England), and its always Islamic militant, or Islamic terrorist being the operative descriptor? We know that a lot of media just tell the stories they want to tell, so its fair to say we wouldn't have heard of it here. A Christian terrorist? Surely there would never be a thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm going to play the odds and bet that at least half of the 8 people that thanked the op didn't read it all.

A post that length on ah could be about my favourite subject and I wouldn't be reading all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I'm going to play the odds and bet that at least half of the 8 people that thanked the op didn't read it all.

A post that length on ah could be about my favourite subject and I wouldn't be reading all that.

Yeah, 5 or 6 lines and I'm out ............sorry OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I know it wasn't in the US but wasn't self-professed christian terrorist Anders Behring Breivik not extremely widely reported?

Then again, that may be because he actually did something, as oppose to online ranting about "the system" until the FBI show up as is usually the case America.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

To be fair, given his position, I would expect more talk about him. That situation sounds fairly nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

So OP have I got his right? We need more Christian terrorism reporting for some and minature ISIS flags for others. In the interest of balance and fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Dunno , but I got new trainers yesterday.

Are they nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And yet when a Muslim teenager brings clock to school...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

He got a thanks from End of the Road, that should tell you enough about the post.

Advertisement