Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Has to Stop!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

mitosis wrote: »
    There used to be a problem at Heuston with bikes being stolen. A Garda at Kilmainham took a personal interest in catching the thieves, so he got a bike and left it at the station where he could see it. After catching several thieves he was himself disciplined for entrapping and instructed to desist from his activities.

Thats not entrapment. Its only entrapment if the Garda persuaded or coererced the thief to steal the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

kuro_man wrote: »
    Thats not entrapment. Its only entrapment if the Garda persuaded or coererced the thief to steal the bike.

And the worst of it is (if this is true and not an urban legend - sorry, person who posted it), that this garda was quite possibly directing young lads away from a wasted, pointless life of robberies and court appearances by catching them young.

There used to be a TV ad in the US showing a car with desirables on the front seat and young lads going past eyeing them, and the catchline "Don't turn a good boy bad". Our policy of ignoring bicycle thefts is a classic example of how to turn good boys bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I really think we could get some TV broadcaster - Hector? Manchán Magan? - to do a programme on bike theft; and if you have the name of this garda or others who have had similar experiences, maybe they could be interviewed with faces blurred, voices masked?

A sting or a series of stings - not by gardaí but by cyclists, and done calmly, with the robbers interviewed if possible - would make a fantastic programme.

Garda is long since retired - I think the station is even gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

mitosis wrote: »
    Garda is long since retired - I think the station is even gone now.

No, Kilmainham station's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

In these days of cutbacks the only way to get focus is to directly hit the metrics being used to judge the Gardai responsible for assigning resources.

So properly report including the € value every theft or property damage incident get an incident number, nothing will happen to start with but as the volume increases over time and starts to reflect in the statistics for an area there should be some pressure bought to bear that will allow Garda time to be allocated.

If a bike worth €800 is stolen then why is it less worthy of investigation than €800 stolen in a different manner?

We need to get away from the easily dismissed category of "bike theft" and classify the crime correctly - it is theft and should be recorded as such for the purpose of reporting both internally and in "League Tables" be they for Gardai or Irish Rail stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I feel a bit conflicted over this.

On the one hand, it's just a bike. I've had some dealings with people on the wrong end of proper scumbag behaviour, and a stolen bike would be the least of their worries. Think about having your car smashed up repeatedly to the point where you're uninsurable, or bricks through through your windows, or a knife held to the throat of one of your teenage kids because he went out with a girl who had a scumbag ex-boyfriend. There are people being terrorised and the justice system is very slow to act.

Plus, in most cases theft is avoidable by using a proper lock, and there aren't many reports like this one where properly locked bikes are being stripped of parts.

On the other hand I'm filled with a sort of rage that we let any of this behaviour go on at all, whether it's crimes against the person or property. There are scumbags with tens or hundreds of offenses, only some of which may ever be followed up let alone prosecuted, and hand-wringing from middle-class Irish-Times-reading apologists moaning about growing jail populations and social breakdown, who have the good fortunate to buy their way into areas where the worst that happens is that someone fishes the keys to your Merc off the hall table and forces you to upgrade.

Scum need dealing with.

</rant>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bike lockers look good. How much are they to use? Kinda defeats the purpose if you're cycling to save money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Lumen wrote: »
    On the other hand I'm filled with a sort of rage

Scum need dealing with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9G18qHPhcM

Can you do a raspy voice, Luman?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,675 ✭✭✭✭listermint

velo.2010 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9G18qHPhcM

Can you do a raspy voice, Luman?:D

im Bikeman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Something like this might help.

It's a bit on the large size, but for MTB it might not be too bad. Not sure of many places where it could be concealed on a road/racer bike.
    It's also €135, but if your bike is worth it, then it's worth it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

If this was causing problems for me I would be contacting local councillors, suggesting solutions and asking them to assist in getting the solutions implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Programme called Bait car on tv so could do a bait bike and put special paint or dye packs on it then catch them with it. If thats true about the Garda been told to stop doing the sting type operation then we here are really and truly more screwed then we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDjZ6c3_k2U

A series in Chile catching thieves in the act, this one is a bike theft. Cheezily presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I'd be up for joining in with a few sting operations..

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Sort of related, makes for interesting reading - some thoughts around the economics of bike theft (focus/lens is on bike theft in San Francisco, but the risk/reward profile is probably pretty similar in any large urban area).

http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/30393216796/what-happens-to-stolen-bicycles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Nabber wrote: »
    Something like this might help.

It's a bit on the large size, but for MTB it might not be too bad. Not sure of many places where it could be concealed on a road/racer bike.
    It's also €135, but if your bike is worth it, then it's worth it :rolleyes:

DB's have trackers fitted and would be a lot neater than those. They are charged up off the dynamo's. I am sure these could be purchased handy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Looks like the Gardai are getting a bit proactive on bike theft;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Judging by the way the scum put out his hands for the cuffing, he has been there before. Revolving doors unfortunately..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MsStroggatrix

My bicycle got badly vandalized last night between 2330 and 0730 outside my house in Galway city centre. It must have been a failed attempt to steal it.

I have to keep the bicycle outside the back or the front as there isn't any room in the house.

Gardaí were most helpful as usual "Oh, sorry we can't do anything about it."

Got the bicycle repaired. Cost nearly €200.00 to repair it though :(.

Apparently bike theft and vandalism is common in Galway at the moment.

Going to build something to electrify the handle bars, wheels and frame when it is parked. Pulsing 3Kv on the frame and handle bars should keep the scum away. Can make it solar powered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My bicycle got badly vandalized last night between 2330 and 0730 outside my house in Galway city centre. It must have been a failed attempt to steal it.

I have to keep the bicycle outside the back or the front as there isn't any room in the house.

Gardaí were most helpful as usual "Oh, sorry we can't do anything about it."

Got the bicycle repaired. Cost nearly €200.00 to repair it though :(.

Apparently bike theft and vandalism is common in Galway at the moment.

Going to build something to electrify the handle bars, wheels and frame when it is parked. Pulsing 3Kv on the frame and handle bars should keep the scum away. Can make it solar powered too.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your YouTube channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

9V batterym, Oscilator and MOSFET driving small transformer wired backwards into a diode ladder. Wrap conductive fabric on handlebars and steal able parts and connect to output. Rig up to some sort of trigger mechanism and zap.

Will give a nasty jolt at the very least.

Would have to have a warning on the bike. Also probably illegal, but so is stealing my bike.,

http://youtu.be/20RANvEOodY

LED driver chip might be the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bob Annaliffia

Hi,

Just got my bike nicked from Castleknock Station Bike rack. Just a crappy mountain bike. My guess they are batching them and shipping them out of the country.

Now my choice is take an extra 10 mins twice a day to walk, or get a replacement bike. Which, even if it's a piece of sh#t, is at risk of being stolen again.

So after some research it seems the best thing to do is buy an expensive U-lock (€60) and a serious chain and pad locks (€40). And use them leaving as little slack or room as possible. Apparently that combo moves the thieves on, as they need extra tools to combat both. Tool of choice at the moment is a car jack for popping u-locks. Chain/lock takes a 3 foot bolt cutter.

Or I can pay €75 a year for a bike locker (www.bikelocker.ie), plus a €25 deposit for the one key they give you. In their terms and conditions it states that the locker IS the property of irish rail, and that no-one takes ANY responsibility for anything in the locker if it is broke in to.

Only advantage is that the bike lockers seem to have their own dedicated CCTV, whereas the bike rack is in a total blindspot. It looks deliberate to me.
    And the situation is the same up the line in Coolmine station.

Some choice, eh?
    I think I'll be walking. And growing more conservative with every step.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So after some research it seems the best thing to do is buy an expensive U-lock (€60) and a serious chain and pad locks (€40). And use them leaving as little slack or room as possible. Apparently that combo moves the thieves on, as they need extra tools to combat both. Tool of choice at the moment is a car jack for popping u-locks. Chain/lock takes a 3 foot bolt cutter.

For a cheap bike, the Evo Mini and a cable for the front should do it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-Unisex-Bicycle/dp/B005YPK9VQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373634753&sr=8-1&keywords=kryptonite+mini

They can't use a car jack if you use the lock properly.

Angle grinder works but is very noisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

For a cheap bike, the Evo Mini and a cable for the front should do it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-Unisex-Bicycle/dp/B005YPK9VQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373634753&sr=8-1&keywords=kryptonite+mini

They can't use a car jack if you use the lock properly.

That set-up is available in the LBS in Blanchardstown for €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Sure a hi-vis vest and a shovel and nobody will pay the slightest heed...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

studiorat wrote: »
    That set-up is available in the LBS in Blanchardstown for €40.

Slightly off topic, where is there an LBS in Blanch? I'm new to the area and only aware of Halfords in West End or City Cycles in Cabra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I wonder if you aproached the station master or iarnrod eireann about maybe installing your own bike locker. I'd say you could build one similar but smaller (no doubt size would be an issue) for under €100.

http://www.bikedocksolutions.ie/product/37.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,131 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

hardCopy wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, where is there an LBS in Blanch? I'm new to the area and only aware of Halfords in West End or City Cycles in Cabra.
    There's a place beside SuperQuinn, in the cottages opposite the car dealership. It's called Cyclezone.

Advertisement