Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swearing - a ****ing **** way of expressing yourself?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    If any poster in this thread happens to call a phone help line tomorrow, e.g. for technical support of banking enquiry, wondering will any of ya swear? See how far it will get ya. Go on.

Swearing can be aggressive, intimadating, hurtful and disrepectful.

It can also be used in humour, moments of passion, a way to emphasise something like "i fcuking love ham sandwiches" :)

They can even be used to help you realease a bit of anger like if you hurt yourself you might say ffs or if you have a breakup with someone you might say "fck ill get over it"

alot of people use the word feck and funnily enough seems more acceptable to people just because the u is replaced with an e!

They are just words, its the intent behind them that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Mother ****ing snakes on a mother ****ing plane… that is all ****ers! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I don't really care if someone swears or not, as long as I can understand them and they get their point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

So many studies show that if you are in pain swearing increases your tolerance to that pain.

I'm going to link to this blog for the second time this week, Strong Language ("a sweary blog about swearing"), written by very articulate folks. Swearing is not always just for lunkheads. Though it sometimes is.

I'll also say that I swear a lot. I have kids. My kids have avoided swearing until they were in their 20s, because they looked on swearing as "parent talk" which was wayyyy too embarrassing to emulate! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭amandstu

Nodin wrote: »
    It's create when you can create categories that you can shove people into and turn your nose up at.

Well as someone once said"As for poverty, no one need be ashamed to admit it, the real shame is in not taking practical measures to escape from it."

The same applies to vocabulary.

Mind you ,Lloyd George probably had vocabulary coming out of his ears and so ill placed to criticise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Swearing is ok in certain situations ,when you are under stress,
    or angry or scared .
    i Don,t like people who constantly swear ,every 3rd sentence is eff that ,
    And its almost unconsious ,part of their speech pattern ,
    they swear in casual conversation .
    not just to show anger or scare off someone in an argument .
    The people who do this tend to be working class ,
    uneducated ignorant people .
    swearing everyday is just gross and annoying .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I swear a good bit but it's usually to express annoyance, anger, excitement, emphasis etc.

I'm not a fan of needless swearing in casual conversations though. I mean the repetitive and nonchalant use of the word "****ing" in a conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Peregrine wrote: »
    I swear a good bit but it's usually to express annoyance, anger, excitement, emphasis etc.

I'm not a fan of needless swearing in casual conversations though. I mean the repetitive and nonchalant use of the word "****ing" in a conversation.

Yeah, this is it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Im a very sweary person in casual conversation with people I know. Swearing AT people is a whole different story to just using swear words in a sentence though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Your two statements don't really gel. Is it a societal thing or does it signify a limited vocabulary? The two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive but I doubt you'd accuse a whole society of being limited vocabulary-wise. And if you did, that would just be stupid.

Those who insist on using an expletive in every conversation generally have a limited range of vocabulary, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Meh. If somebody throws in a few ***** and ****s while they're talking it neither improves nor hinders my opinion of them. Might be just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

There is something to be said for swearing infrequently so that when you do swear it's all the more effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

recipio wrote: »
    Those who insist on using an expletive in every conversation generally have a limited range of vocabulary, simple as.

Not true, but I can see your mind is made up on this. The clue is in the "simple as", up there with "fact!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Not true, but I can see your mind is made up on this. The clue is in the "simple as", up there with "fact!".

Well, I think that all this swearing puts us on the wrong side of being crude neanderthals.
    It has no place in intelligent conversation. How would you like it if your doctor told you you had 'fu****g cancer.' ? You would be shocked at his indiscretion - just as I am when I hear offensive conversations between people who should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

recipio wrote: »
    Well, I think that all this swearing puts us on the wrong side of being crude neanderthals.
    It has no place in intelligent conversation. How would you like it if your doctor told you you had 'fu****g cancer.' ? You would be shocked at his indiscretion - just as I am when I hear offensive conversations between people who should know better.

The fact that you use a doctor in your example is telling in and of itself. We hold doctors to arguably the highest standards of professionalism for people we are likely to meet in out everyday lives.

I would never consider holding the vast majority of people I meet to such a standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The missus is always on at me for swearing. I decided the other day I better listen to her when my 2 year old daughter says as we're driving down a country road - look daddy there's loads of fúcking cows in that field!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I'm another person who litters my sentences with curse words. I'm not sure when it started actually but I think it must have been in the last few years, as one of my ex-boyfriends was greatly amused to hear me say things like ''oh crumbs! I stubbed my toe'', or whatever, I rarely if ever cursed then. I still hear my dad say things like ''Oh sugar'' :D Now, I curse like a sailor, I use curse words to emphasise, to add a bit of colour, as adjectives. However, when I'm actually angry I don't curse at people, because that would be rude :pac:

I tone it down (or try to but sometimes I forget) in front my my parents and relatives or in situations where it wouldn't be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I use the f word quite frequently. Emphasis ....... it's a utility word ....... noun, verb, adjective etc. What jumped up prick was the first to say that a few random letters thrown together constitute a social gaff?

As language evolves so do "curse" words. But not the egotistical, elitist, smug and snobby assholes who deride others for their accents choice of words. If it was the accent it would be deemed racist!

OK, let's say that some celebrity says that the word boobs is a no-no. There will be a lot of celebheads who will take it as Gospel and sideline that word from their daily usage.

Can anyone come up with a reason why fuck, bollox, seeyounexttuesday etc became offensive?

We all know the type who tut-tut such utterings ......... po-faced, Taliban type prigs who have fuck all better to do.

• Advertisement

Can anyone come up with a reason why fuck, bollox, seeyounexttuesday etc became offensive?

Obvious surely. To get on in the world you have to get on with people. That includes saying the kind of things they want to hear.

If you don't want to "get on " then you don't bother (so much).

amandstu wrote: »
    Obvious surely. To get on in the world you have to get on with people. That includes saying the kind of things they want to hear.

If you don't want to "get on " then you don't bother (so much).

Is it the sound or pronunciation that hurts their/your sensibilities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Now, I curse like a sailor, I use curse words to emphasise, to add a bit of colour, as adjectives. However, when I'm actually angry I don't curse at people, because that would be rude :pac:

I'm the same, I'm very sweary in day to day life, but if I'm tearing strips off someone I probably won't swear that much, or at all.

Swear words can be filler words that make sentences have a much better rhythm, no way does using them properly indicate that a person is stupid or inarticulate.

Is it the sound or pronunciation that hurts their/your sensibilities?
    Both. In so far as I have sensibilities I would like other people's behaviour to acknowledge that I am the centre of the universe. So anything that contradicts that must be a no no.

If I use swear language , then I expect my subjects to do the same. If I like pepsi then you can be in my good books by not obviously showing a preference for diet coke.

And so on.

amandstu wrote: »
    Both. In so far as I have sensibilities I would like other people's behaviour to acknowledge that I am the centre of the universe. So anything that contradicts that must be a no no.

If I use swear language , then I expect my subjects to do the same. If I like pepsi then you can be in my good books by not obviously showing a preference for diet coke.

And so on.

Cushty! :cool:

Advertisement