Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-05-2018, 18:46   #61
GourmetFuel: Emma
Verified representative

Frying etc.

Hi Devore,

Well done on the improvements firstly, it's great you're taking control and I'm sure saving a few bob too.

Adding oil/fat to our cooking method will obviously add calories to the meal but it's definitely an improvement on relying on take-aways! This way you can control what you're using, how much etc. You've no idea how they do it in the restaurants.

Grilling or air-frying is definitely a better way to cook when trying to minimise the calorie burden. Have you tried steaming in the oven? It's great for fish and chicken and you can do it in an aluminium foil pouch and put some lemon, garlic and herbs in it. It will steam in its own juices and it's simple, easy and no greasy, frying smell or mess.

Well done on the changes you've made already - long may it continue.

My best,

Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVore View Post
I try to cook for myself (my diet used to be a train wreck but I'm trying to improve it). I am not a great cook and I like to shallow fry things (like chicken breast) in a frying pan. I have convinced myself that by doing this (and using only sunflower oil or olive oil) I'm improving my diet from chinese take outs and curries. Is this true (specifically about the sunflower oil) or am I fooling myself?
Advertisement
31-05-2018, 18:48   #62
2forjoy

Hi.
Tomatoes and tomato based foods don't agree with me.
I have been told that this is to do with my blood group. And the doctor called Dr d'adamo wrote a book on this 20 years ago.
My blood group is B should I avoid tomatoes?
31-05-2018, 22:02   #63
funkey_monkey

I'm on a low protein diet (phenylketonuria) but I'm trying to bulk up at the gym.
I get mostly synthetic protein (amino acid drinks with phenylalanine stripped out) and eat foods low in protein.

Am I wasting my time trying to gain lean muscle? I'm also 40yo - when does it reach the stage when your age prevents muscle gain?

Thanks.
01-06-2018, 17:54   #64
Verified representative

Hi joefuss1986,

Thanks for your question!

With some nutrients, there is no avoiding break down when they're exposed to heat, whether it is from a microwave, boiling or a regular oven.

If you are making the decision to have your microwave potatoes over frying and certain refined carbohydrate options joefuss1986, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. There is definitely a place for them in a well balanced diet.

Rebecca!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefuss1986 View Post
Hey Emma,
Thanks for this. Potatoes were mentioned earlier. What's your opinion on the microwaved packets of baby potatoes? They're obviously much handier cook that normal ones. And full fat milk versus low fat?
Thanks from:
01-06-2018, 18:05   #65
Verified representative

Hi oleras,

Thanks for your question.

The Food Pyramid is a fantastic visual tool, to guide healthy eating and ensure you are making good choices. It's designed that if you have no knowledge of nutrition, you can easily identify what food groups you should be eating and how much - which it does well.

What you must remember is that our ways of eating and needs have changed since it's creation, that is why we have the new revised pyramid - and not all nutrition can be boxed into one image - but it's certainly a place to start!

Rebecca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleras View Post
Whats your opinion on the Food pyramid ?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-06-2018, 18:09   #66
Verified representative

Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerwanthere123 View Post
Hi Emma,

What's the biggest difference between natural and processed sugars, and how good/bad they are for you? Is all sugar bad, regardless of whether it's natural or processed? Is a smoothie just as bad as a coke, for example? It seems to me that a lot of previously healthy food, such as fruit, is now deemed bad for us by some because of the naturally occurring sugars.

Thanks for your time
Hi there, thanks for your question! It's Katie here, Senior Nutritionist at GourmetFuel.

There are two types of sugar; Intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic are naturally occurring (fruit etc) extrinsic is added sugar ( sugar added to coke).

It's important to look at the food as a whole and not just the sugar content. For example, a smoothie will provide you with lots of your required vitamins and minerals, compared to coke which will provide you with basically just sugar.

To reiterate, fruit is not bad! Just because there are naturally occurring sugars present, does not mean we need to cut it out, it has too many benefits and is a crucial part of a healthy diet. Of course, like all foods, some populations might need to be more aware of their intake (eg, diabetics), but as a population we need to eat more fruit!

Katie
Thanks from:
01-06-2018, 18:33   #67
Verified representative

Coffee etc.

Hi Surreptitious,

I can't speak to the person you saw but I can speak to some facts.

A typical cup of black coffee is around 4 kCals. Coffee with skimmed milk will probably yield about 30-50 kCals depending on how much milk you take. So, unless you're drinking multiple cups a day, then nothing too drastic to worry about.

Olive oil is a fat which gives 9kCal/g. With anything, the dose is the poison so if you're using a tablespoons of oil then that will add calories, if you're limiting it like you said you are, then again, it's nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your coffee, enjoy your food, just in moderation.

Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreptitious View Post
Hi Emma, thanks for being here. I went to a nutritionist before and I'm not aware of her qualifications but she told me that drinking skimmed milk coffee with no sugar and eating a homemade veg curry (paste, water, no oil and vegs) was an issue and I'd put on weight because of this. She also said olive oil wasn't fattening???? I stopped seeing her as I don't believe drinking coffee makes you put on weight. What's your take on all this?
Thanks from:
01-06-2018, 18:44   #68
Verified representative

Tomatoes etc.

Hi 2forjoy,

Thanks for your question.

There could be a few different reasons tomatoes don't agree with you but your blood type is probably not it.

The Blood Type Diet was a big hit in the 90's but there just isn't enough concrete evidence to support it, even after 2 decades.

Have you been to an immunologist to get screened? If you have a severe reaction it really is the best move although, it can be quite expensive but it's the best place to go to really understand what's going on.

I hope this helps,

Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forjoy View Post
Hi.
Tomatoes and tomato based foods don't agree with me.
I have been told that this is to do with my blood group. And the doctor called Dr d'adamo wrote a book on this 20 years ago.
My blood group is B should I avoid tomatoes?
Thanks from:
01-06-2018, 18:57   #69
Mars Bar
I belong here. As do you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Bar View Post
Any advice for petite people and fat loss?

I find the mental battle with myself the hardest as I'm 50kg and only 1.47m tall (or short!) so there is very little leeway for me. I tend to feel a little bit sorry for myself that I can't stuff my face!

I'll maintain my weight at roughly 1,300.

I've recently moved to 16:8 I.F with two meals plus one snack and I'm hoping to see some results.

I also do weightlifting and play some sports and I understand that I can maintain this weight but lose body fat. That's what I'm trying to do!
Quoting just in case you missed it.
Advertisement
01-06-2018, 18:58   #70
Verified representative

Paelo

Hi LolaJJ,

The reality is some people just work well from eating a certain way, there just is no 'one' diet to fit all. Some people thrive on high carb, low fat, and others the complete opposite.

What is great about eating in any particular regime is that it focusses you to make healthier choices and not to scupper it with junk. With elevated cholesterol levels it is advisable to reduce down your saturated fats and replace them with mono-unsaturated fats like olive oil and polyunsaturated like Omega 3's from Fish. Limit red meat, dairy and junk food and make sure you're getting enough greens and veg. Ensure you're eating enough as well, if we don't we will usually have to snack.

I hope this helps, keep an eye on the bloods!

Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaJJ View Post
Hi Emma,

I had great success on strict Paleo for around 6 months.... felt incredible, loads of energy to train, felt better than ever but had to go for blood tests and was told that my "bad" cholesterol skyrocketed which terrified me so I stopped. Since then I've read and heard that the cholesterol debate is very much open so I'm now wondering if this wasn't such a bad thing. That was a year ago and based on the feedback I got I've been trying to eat much lower fat since then and I just don't feel as good or as energetic, I snack more (on the wrong things), my weight fluctuates and my training progress is inconsistent and takes dips. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks from:
01-06-2018, 18:59   #71
Verified representative

I'm working on it! LOL
Quote:
Quoting just in case you missed it.
Thanks from:
01-06-2018, 19:03   #72
Mars Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GourmetFuel: Emma View Post
I'm working on it! LOL
Sorry, didn't realise you were online now!
01-06-2018, 19:19   #73
Verified representative

Hi Mars Bar,

Sorry it’s taken so long to get to you!

OK, so, there’s a couple of things, you’re maintaining weight at 50kg, your BMI is fine. If you want to drop body fat, exercising more is key for you. Weightlifting and resistance training is good for building muscle mass and if you’re adding in your cardio, then you’re on the right track to fat loss. Protein is key to muscle synthesis. So, it could be the ratios of the foods you’re eating that could do with some tweaking. Happy to discuss this more with you https://www.gourmetfuel.com/book-a-n...-consultation/

I hope this helps,

Emma

Quote:
Any advice for petite people and fat loss?

I find the mental battle with myself the hardest as I'm 50kg and only 1.47m tall (or short!) so there is very little leeway for me. I tend to feel a little bit sorry for myself that I can't stuff my face!

I'll maintain my weight at roughly 1,300.

I've recently moved to 16:8 I.F with two meals plus one snack and I'm hoping to see some results.

I also do weightlifting and play some sports and I understand that I can maintain this weight but lose body fat. That's what I'm trying to do!
Thanks from:
01-06-2018, 19:24   #74
Mars Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GourmetFuel: Emma View Post
Hi Mars Bar,

Sorry it’s taken so long to get to you!

OK, so, there’s a couple of things, you’re maintaining weight at 50kg, your BMI is fine. If you want to drop body fat, exercising more is key for you. Weightlifting and resistance training is good for building muscle mass and if you’re adding in your cardio, then you’re on the right track to fat loss. Protein is key to muscle synthesis. So, it could be the ratios of the foods you’re eating that could do with some tweaking. Happy to discuss this more with you https://www.gourmetfuel.com/book-a-n...-consultation/

I hope this helps,

Emma
Thank you, Emma!

I think I'm on the right track then. I am working out 3-4 times a week. I'm afraid I've just reached that stage where getting nutrition right is going to be really important.
01-06-2018, 19:25   #75
Verified representative

Blood Type etc.

Hi Bexley Immense Goon,

Thanks for your question. The Blood Type diet has been around for about 20 years or so and was a bestseller at the time. I remember it coming out and people really buying in to it but all these years there just hasn’t been any evidence to show that there are health benefits. https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/98/1/99/4578345

The most likely reason people find success on this or any other healthy eating regime they begin is because they’re really focussed on what they’re eating and the food choices they’re making. In my opinion, most diets like this work because they say to cut out junk, cut out alcohol, take more exercise and follow this particular eating plan.

However, there is a very real role our genetics play in our diet and how nutrients affect our gene expression. This exciting and complex area of nutritional science is called Nutrigenomics. It’s not my area of expertise but I do know that it’s hoped in the coming years that a more ‘Personalised Nutrition’ approach can be taken.

I hope this helps.

Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexley Immense Goon View Post
Hello

What is your opinion on Blood Type Diets?

Is there a science behind this or is it another one of the many fads?

In the same vein. How much does genetics influence our bodies processing of foods? Is there even a genetics influence?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion