Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-10-2019, 18:19   #1
Biodegradable

Lady giving out about the Men of Kenya

So there's this minder who pops by my parents house every so often because my mom has dementia. I met her a few times before and I think I've got a hint of feminism about her. Anyway one day when I was chatting to her about her travels. She'd been to Kenya, and she started talking about how she supports the women in Kenya or something. She then went on to talk about how the men of Kenya are "useless". She seemed to realise that she was talking to a male as she said this, and she said "I don't mean that all men but blah blah". I interrupted her and said "did you go on safari?". Thankfully this steered the direction of the conversation away somewhere else.

But my question is, am I supposed to just stand there and let her say a bunch of stuff that I disagree with? Of course I can't verify with certainty that it's bullsh1t when she's saying it! The last time I was home I heard her reading something out of the paper to my mother about domestic violence and I overheard the words "because men can get aggressive with women".

It's all very well to say that the men of Kenya are useless and they may well be true, but it forces me to ask "is there any country in the world where the women are useless?" and if so, would a man get away with saying it? As soon as she said that the men are useless, I felt like saying to her "oh the women build the roads out there so do they?". What do you think of this?

Last edited by Biodegradable; 12-10-2019 at 18:38.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 18:30   #2
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodegradable View Post
So there's this minder who pops by my parents house every so often because my mom has dementia. I met her a few times before and I think I've got a hint of feminism about her. Anyway one day when I was chatting to her about her travels. She'd been to Kenya, and she started talking about how she supports the women in Kenya or something. She then went on to talk about how the men of Kenya are "useless". She seemed to realise that she was talking to a male as she said this, and she said "I don't mean that all men...". I interrupted her and said "did you go on safari?". Thankfully this steered the direction of the conversation away somewhere else.

It's all very well to say that the men of Kenya are useless, and they may well be, but it forces me to ask "is there any country in the world where the women are useless?" and if so would a man get away with saying it? As soon as she said that the men are useless, I felt like saying "the women build the roads out there so do they?"
According to all the Adverts looking for money on TV - there are no men in Africa. Footage inevitably shows children and women with men noticeably missing.

I can only presume its some type of bizarre matriarchal society where men are banned or dont actually exist and female children are born by parthenogenesis or something. Very odd for sure ...
(4) thanks from:
12-10-2019, 18:44   #3
bottlebrush

Similarly when there is a tragedy anywhere in the world such as a boat sinking or a bomb explosion its reported as the number of fatalities including x number of women and y number of children. Like the number of men who perished is not relevant.
Isn't all human life supposed to be sacred?
Thanks from:
12-10-2019, 18:47   #4
Guy Person

Kenya believe she said that?!

Last edited by Guy Person; 12-10-2019 at 18:50.
12-10-2019, 18:54   #5
BDI

It’s a dig at you op.

Why should she be cleaning up when you are flopping around the house asking people to tell ye safari stories.

Go over to her house and hang a few shelves for her, you be testing her chassis out in no time. These feminist types like to be dominated by testosterone and ignorance.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 18:56   #6
Your Face

The opening post sounds like it could be written by a fella I went to school with.
He would overthink things to point of driving himself mad with frustration.
He ruined himself with his nonsense.
12-10-2019, 19:02   #7
Danzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodegradable View Post
So there's this minder who pops by my parents house every so often because my mom has dementia. I met her a few times before and I think I've got a hint of feminism about her. Anyway one day when I was chatting to her about her travels. She'd been to Kenya, and she started talking about how she supports the women in Kenya or something. She then went on to talk about how the men of Kenya are "useless". She seemed to realise that she was talking to a male as she said this, and she said "I don't mean that all men but blah blah". I interrupted her and said "did you go on safari?". Thankfully this steered the direction of the conversation away somewhere else.

But my question is, am I supposed to just stand there and let her say a bunch of stuff that I disagree with? Of course I can't verify with certainty that it's bullsh1t when she's saying it! The last time I was home I heard her reading something out of the paper to my mother about domestic violence and I overheard the words "because men can get aggressive with women".

It's all very well to say that the men of Kenya are useless and they may well be true, but it forces me to ask "is there any country in the world where the women are useless?" and if so, would a man get away with saying it? As soon as she said that the men are useless, I felt like saying to her "oh the women build the roads out there so do they?". What do you think of this?
Been to West Africa, long way from Kenya but finding a responsible man, in any way there is near impossible.

If it wasn't for the women there, their societies would collapse.

It's really something to behold, mind boggling actually.

Last edited by Danzy; 12-10-2019 at 19:05.
Thanks from:
12-10-2019, 19:05   #8
yaboya1

The man who ran the first ever marathon in less than 2 hours this morning is Kenyan.
Suppose it depends on what your definition of useless is? It's certainly not the word I'd use to describe the feat.
Thanks from:
12-10-2019, 19:06   #9
Reviews and Books Galore

I do know a lot of female expats who look down on the local men for not being as hardworking/taking care of the children/not being the main breadwinner so on and so forth.

Again, live and let live imo.
Advertisement
12-10-2019, 19:07   #10
SeaFields
Gone fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Person View Post
Kenya believe she said that?!
nairobi can I.
12-10-2019, 19:08   #11
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
OP why does this bother you so much?

Yes she's a bit of an eejit, but there plenty of them around, and I'm sure most of them don't get you worked up. So what gives?
12-10-2019, 19:08   #12
Reviews and Books Galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzy View Post
Been to West Africa, long way from Kenya but finding a responsible man, in any way there is near impossible.

If it wasn't for the women there, their societies would collapse.

It's really something to behold, mind boggling actually.

I'm curious about examples?

I know that in the Phillipines sometimes the woman to work, pay the bills, and then give the Husband a stipend to go see the mistress on the side
12-10-2019, 19:08   #13
El_Duderino 09

The "aren't feminists stupid?" Threads have been coming think and fast recently. But this is the most creative one I've seen in a while. Fair play OP.

To answer all your questions, yes the feminists are dreadful, yes the world would have stopped if anyone ever made a sweeping statement about women. Luckily nobody has ever has made a sweeping statement about women yet.
12-10-2019, 19:11   #14
Danzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviews and Books Galore View Post
I do know a lot of female expats who look down on the local men for not being as hardworking/taking care of the children/not being the main breadwinner so on and so forth.

Again, live and let live imo.
It's their culture we won't change it but a near pathological hatred of work or responsibility is a big problem for them.

Not all.

We tried hiring a local carpenter, paid our wage level, months work they would buy a house locally and still be set for a year.

Impossible to get a fellow to work more than half hour, off hiding, sleeping under lorries etc.

Finally got one, stuck with him, he'd do a few hours a day that was all but he stood out a mile.
12-10-2019, 19:13   #15
Jimbob1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboya1 View Post
The man who ran the first ever marathon in less than 2 hours this morning is Kenyan.
Suppose it depends on what your definition of useless is? It's certainly not the word I'd use to describe the feat.
He had plenty of practice of running away from housework
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion