Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-12-2017, 14:54   #181
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
This is the January Daily Temperature Records table for the Republic of Ireland I started work on earlier this year, it will never be completed so at this stage, I thought I'd post it for anybody to see. Not all of Met Éireann's historical data is available as of right now to the public, not to mention of course that we'll have January 2018 and future Januaries to add to this table if they break any of the daily records.

Hope you enjoy it for what it is now because this is probably the most tedious thing I've ever done in my life so far.



I've also started work on the February and July versions of this table.

Last edited by sryanbruen; 14-12-2017 at 15:07.
sryanbruen is offline  
Advertisement
15-12-2017, 11:22   #182
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post

Hope you enjoy it for what it is now because this is probably the most tedious thing I've ever done in my life so far.
Welcome to the world of collecting and inputting stats Syran!

Seriously though, great stats once again and your hard work is appreciated. Would you not consider setting up your own blog page to keep these statistics at hand? as even on a dedicated thread like this, they are likely to get shoved down the bottom of the pile as new postings come in? I did up a blog page to keep a track of the 'IMT' a couple of years back (I think it is still linking in my sig) which unfortunately I have had not the time or the energy to maintain recently, but something that I may get back into in the new year. I asked Met Eireann for their permission to use their data and they were very accommodating and quite encouraging also, so maybe something for you to consider perhaps?
Oneiric 3 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-12-2017, 10:20   #183
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
Here is part three of my 2010 Irish weather synopsis and in this part, I am going to be going over the Summer of 2010. Summer 2010 is a very underrated Summer if you ask me with many people in Ireland considering it a poor Summer and continued the period of poor summers that began in 2007 and ended in 2012 (inclusive). However, unlike the UK (with the exception of Scotland which had only a poor July like Ireland) which had a poor July AND August, Ireland had only a poor July. June and August 2010 were absolutely beautiful months. I have lots of nostalgic memories from this Summer of 2010 and I can remember each day very well through the Summer. Apart from July and the very wet days in June, it felt like an endless run of sunshine through Summer 2010.

However, due to this being longer than intended and the lack of time I've had to complete this part of the analysis, I have decided to just give June 2010. I know that this has been a long time coming.

Let's start off with what was easily the best month of 2010 in Ireland - if you like warm and sunny weather that is, June. After a wet day on the 31st of May with rain clearing the east by the morning of the 1st, June started off fine with plenty of sunshine and temperatures rising fast in the sunshine reaching 20c in a good few places. Another day with plenty of sunshine on the 2nd with temperatures getting up to 21c. Sunshine was very abundant with 8-14 hours of sunshine around Ireland. Cloud pushed into the south and southwest on the 3rd, however, elsewhere it was again another fine warm and sunny day with temperatures up to 21c. The cloud pushed into the west overnight and the cloud was thick enough to bring the odd drizzle to places including Claremorris. However, the drizzle amounted to nothing much and the cloud cleared by the morning leaving the country in yet again, another fine day with plenty of sunshine and temperatures up to 22c on the 4th. By this time of the month, some places had already reached at least 50 hours of sunshine so you can see how sunny June started off. This fine period was about to finish however as it became much more unsettled for a temporary spell. The 5th started off fine with more sunshine but cloudier in all places than previous days with the maximum sunshine of only 6 hours. Showers pushed into the west reaching most places overnight into the 6th. It was still warm with temperatures up to 22c again. These showers formed into longer spells of rain across Leinster during the 6th. Some of these very persistent and it was very dull in the showers. The Cumulonimbus clouds associated with the showers were unusually dark and black for June. Feeling very unpleasant for June. Across the west, it was dry, warm and sunny with temperatures up to 21c however. On the 7th, a band of heavy rain pushed into the southwest and pushed northwards through the day. This rain was again very persistent with falls up to 19mm at Valentia Observatory. Remember that Ireland wasn't very used to very wet days like the 7th June or the 29th March (see part two of my 2010 Irish weather synopsis) due to a frequent run of drier than normal months up to June since November 2009 although December 2009 (97% of the LTA) and March 2010 (94% of the LTA) were quite close to being wetter than average. It was cooler than recent days also but still above average for early June with 14-19c generally. This rain lingered across Ulster on the 8th whilst heavy showers pushed in across many other parts during the afternoon. Some places like Valentia Observatory escaped however. The 8th continued with similar temperatures to the 7th. It was sunny in the west and northwest whilst elsewhere, it was dull. Further rain over Ulster continued overnight into the morning of the 9th. This rain then finally pushed southwestwards through the day clearing all areas by the evening leaving sunny spells in the west along with isolated showers whilst it was dry and cloudy elsewhere. Temperatures about average with 13-17c. The 10th was a fine day with plenty of sunshine and temperatures rising back up to 21c in the sunshine after the cooler, wet days from the 6th-9th. Cloud lingered in some eastern regions until the late afternoon however. The 11th brought cloud in from the west on a northwesterly direction air stream which was quite mild for a northwesterly of up to 20c. The cloud brought sunshine totals down from the values of the 10th but in some places, particularly the east, it was pleasant enough of up to 7 hours of sunshine. The 12th was a dry and rather sunny day for the most part but some rain pushed into the north during the evening. This rain was quite weak and it was just another fine day elsewhere. Showers pushed into the west during the morning of the 13th becoming more intense as they reached the east coasts by the afternoon. Dublin Airport recorded 11.8mm of rainfall in these showers. Temperatures rather mild of 14-18c and plenty of sunshine in between the showers with the west more favoured for the sunshine. All the showers cleared on the 14th and then a stubborn area of high pressure built from Scandinavia. The 14th began a period of fine weather which would then last for much of June. June 2010 had already seen a very sunny and warm start with rainfall close to average (due to those very wet days). We really were given a wonderful gift from Mother Nature. From the 14th-17th, there was plenty of sunshine particularly on the 15th and 16th with cloud cover varying each day. In the sunshine it became very warm reaching 23c on the 15th. The 18th was a generally cloudier day but there was still some sunny spells in places and yet again, dry and warm. After this brief cloudier day, the 19th-21st was a very sunny period with all days reaching 16 hours of sunshine in at least one station. In the sunshine, temperatures reached 25c on the 21st. The 22nd was another very nice day in the east of the country with temperatures paying back a touch to 22c. However, cloud pushed into the west with some of it very thick bringing the odd spot of drizzle. This would push across much of the country on the 23rd with the odd sunny spell in parts. It was very muggy in this cloud though with temperatures of 17-21c on the 23rd. The 24th, with the exception of a cloudy east until the late afternoon, became much sunnier and similar temperatures to the 23rd. The 25th was a weird day as it was cloudy in the east all day and sunny in the west early in the day but a band of rain pushed into the west later. Yet, the east was still cloudy and temperatures going up to 18-23c. This rain would fizzle out to nothing on the 26th leaving Ireland in plenty of warm sunshine and temperatures again 18-23c. The 27th brought some showers into parts of the west but other than them, it was a very similar day to the 26th with temperatures of 18-23c and plenty of sunshine to enjoy. This long dry spell that began on the 14th ended on the 27th however as heavy rain spread into the southwest on the 28th which would affect all but northwest Connacht and north Ulster with rain during the day. Temperatures still above average of 17-21c even in the rain. The rain cleared on the 29th into Britain leaving Ireland in a temporary ridge of high pressure and temperatures going back up to 18-23c in warm sunshine. This was very temporary however as a band of very intense rain pushed into the west on the 30th ending June on a very wet note. The east enjoyed another fine day however with warm sunshine and temperatures again from 18-23c.

With the daily summary for June 2010 done, time to talk about the more interesting data, the actual statistics. Rainfall wise overall, June was fairly close to the average but it was a drier than normal June with around 81-85% of the LTA. There were some significant regional variations depending on how wet the 6th-9th, 13th, 28th and 30th were in places. Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal for instance had its driest June on record with a total of only 18.3mm of rainfall, 25% of the average. Meanwhile, John F Kennedy Park, Co. Wexford had its wettest June for 2 years with a total of 76.3mm of rainfall, 129% of the average. Maam Valley, Co. Galway was very unusually dry, even more so than it was in May 2010 with a total of only 38.4mm of rainfall, well below its average for June. Valentia Observatory had a rainfall total of 92.9mm of rainfall, 116% of the average. However, 46.6mm of this rainfall (50% of its whole June 2010 rainfall total) fell on one day, June 30th and was the station's wettest June day since 2003. Its wettest day in June 2003 also took place on the 30th coincidentally. Some places did not record any rainfall at all from the 14th-27th.

In spite of a negative NAO, June 2010 was a very warm month. The IMT for the month was 15.2c, +1.7c above the LTA. This was only -0.2c short of the typical July and August's IMT of 15.4c, to emphasise how warm it was. This equals with 1970 for the third warmest June on record of the IMTs I've calculated so far back to January 1968 with only June 1976 and June 2006 being warmer. The month didn't have any particularly remarkable temperatures but it was persistently and pleasantly warm throughout with not a lot of cooler than average days. 20c or more during June 2010 wasn't a rare occurrence. For example, Dublin Airport reached 20c or more on 20 days of June 2010. The maximum temperature for June 2010 was 26.4c at Derrygreenagh, Co. Offaly on the 21st, June 2006 and 2009 had higher maximums. For the first time since November 2009, ground frosts were not above average, they were around average for June. Due to the month being not particularly remarkable in terms of maximum temperatures but rather being persistently warm is why June 2010 is one of my more preferred Summer months, it's the ideal Summer month.

June 2010 once again continued the sunnier than average month streak of 2010. It was very sunny in many places, especially over to the northwest where they had their sunniest June since 1995 but for others, it was not as sunny as June 2009. Casement Aerodrome had the sunniest day with 16.0 hours on the 20th. University College of Galway had up to 150% of its average June sunshine.

Here's some pictures from June 2010 for y'all:











Information originally from Met Éireann.

Last edited by sryanbruen; 16-12-2017 at 10:23.
sryanbruen is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-12-2017, 10:33   #184
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Welcome to the world of collecting and inputting stats Syran!

Seriously though, great stats once again and your hard work is appreciated. Would you not consider setting up your own blog page to keep these statistics at hand? as even on a dedicated thread like this, they are likely to get shoved down the bottom of the pile as new postings come in? I did up a blog page to keep a track of the 'IMT' a couple of years back (I think it is still linking in my sig) which unfortunately I have had not the time or the energy to maintain recently, but something that I may get back into in the new year. I asked Met Eireann for their permission to use their data and they were very accommodating and quite encouraging also, so maybe something for you to consider perhaps?
I've actually started a wiki using wikia on the weather history of the British Isles. Don't want to share it until I think it's good enough to be so. It will take a long time. The aim of the wiki is to provide a useful source for amateur forecasters to learn more about how to predict the weather of the British Isles as well as act like a huge encyclopedia for weather historians such as myself. I'm hoping this works out better than my little forum site you previously joined which turned out as a disaster. It was getting confusing to me with its settings interface as well as not allowing me to do certain things I wanted to achieve. This wiki will also have the IMT dataset and all my calculations for it, as well as potential future datasets I may calculate and create. My three pages I'm working on right now are IMT, Winter long range forecasting and December 2010 historical page. I started off with December 2010 because it's such a fascinating month with lots of statistics to add.

So far, the wiki is doing ok but not fantastic. I will be giving it more time to see if it works out but in the future, I might be moving on to do something else like a blog as you say using wordpress. However, I've personally never been into blogging.

As for now, I'm working hard with school, my volcanoes project (which has a thread in the Geography forum), my analysis for 2010, Winter 1946/47 and calculating more IMTs pre-1968.

But thanks again.
sryanbruen is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-12-2017, 13:15   #185
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
I've actually started a wiki using wikia on the weather history of the British Isles. Don't want to share it until I think it's good enough to be so. It will take a long time. The aim of the wiki is to provide a useful source for amateur forecasters to learn more about how to predict the weather of the British Isles as well as act like a huge encyclopedia for weather historians such as myself. I'm hoping this works out better than my little forum site you previously joined which turned out as a disaster. It was getting confusing to me with its settings interface as well as not allowing me to do certain things I wanted to achieve. This wiki will also have the IMT dataset and all my calculations for it, as well as potential future datasets I may calculate and create. My three pages I'm working on right now are IMT, Winter long range forecasting and December 2010 historical page. I started off with December 2010 because it's such a fascinating month with lots of statistics to add.

So far, the wiki is doing ok but not fantastic. I will be giving it more time to see if it works out but in the future, I might be moving on to do something else like a blog as you say using wordpress. However, I've personally never been into blogging.

As for now, I'm working hard with school, my volcanoes project (which has a thread in the Geography forum), my analysis for 2010, Winter 1946/47 and calculating more IMTs pre-1968.

But thanks again.
Very interesting Syran, and good luck with the 'Wiki' thing. I will say that you don't have to be a 'blogger' to open a blog page. It was just a suggestion on my part for you to keep those stats you have worked so hard on in a nice, tidy and easily accessible space.

But whatever path you choose, I would advise you seek permission from Met Éireann if you intend using their stats in the 'public space', just to be on the safe side and for your own peace of mind.
Oneiric 3 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-12-2017, 13:24   #186
mickmackey1
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
But whatever path you choose, I would advise you seek permission from Met Éireann if you intend using their stats in the 'public space', just to be on the safe side and for your own peace of mind.
Met Eireann is funded by the taxpayer. I presume the public are entitled to use the data for any non-commercial purpose, provided appropriate credit is given.
mickmackey1 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
16-12-2017, 18:21   #187
Gaoth Laidir
Registered User
 
Gaoth Laidir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Very interesting Syran, and good luck with the 'Wiki' thing. I will say that you don't have to be a 'blogger' to open a blog page. It was just a suggestion on my part for you to keep those stats you have worked so hard on in a nice, tidy and easily accessible space.

But whatever path you choose, I would advise you seek permission from Met Éireann if you intend using their stats in the 'public space', just to be on the safe side and for your own peace of mind.
I think there is no restriction on using Met Éireann's data at all. It's only their published work (images, charts, tables, documents, webpage screenshots, etc., that are restricted. If you make your own Excel graph or table from their data, that is totally ok.

EDIT: Nope, Mick is right. The data can be freely used, as long as the source is acknowledged. However, you still don't need to seek their permission.

Terms and Conditions:

Quote:
Met Éireann retains Intellectual Property Rights and copyright over our data.
If data are published in raw or processed format Met Éireann must be acknowledged as the source.
Met Éireann does not accept any liability whatsoever for any error or omission in the data series, their availability, or for any loss or damage arising from their use.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Last edited by Gaoth Laidir; 16-12-2017 at 18:36.
Gaoth Laidir is offline  
21-12-2017, 10:12   #188
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
This graph I generated is of the Winter NAO values since 1950/51 up to 2016/17. Interestingly and not really much of a surprise, the 1960s were a consecutive period for negative NAO Winters. It seems that negative NAO in Winters were a frequent occurrence during the 1950s to 1970s and since then has been much rarer with positive NAO being much more of a feature. However, along with that, we also had the most negative NAO on record in 2009/10.

Winter 2014/15 had the most positive NAO in the last 70 or so years for Winters which I find very interesting.

sryanbruen is offline  
Thanks from:
21-12-2017, 13:09   #189
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
This post is going to be about one of the Summers that people just don't want to remember, Summer 2011. It sometimes gets mentioned it seems but not much and when it does so, it's not a popular Summer. It is to no surprise why this is the case, it was the coldest Summer of the 21st century so far coming after the warmest Spring on record. This was the coldest Summer since 1993 with an IMT of only 13.3c which is -1.6c below the 1981-2010 average of 14.9c.

Each of the Summer months were colder than average (these 3 months and January were the only colder than average months for 2011) with August being particularly cold. These are the IMTs and anomalies for each of the months:

June: 12.1 (-1.6) - coldest June since 1991
July: 14.2 (-1.2) - coldest July since 1988
August: 13.7 (-1.7) - coldest August since 1993

The Summer was notable for a huge lack of warmth. The warmest day was June 3rd with a maximum of 26.0c at Cavan and Athy, very early in the season. Phoenix Park nearly bet this at 25.7c on September 28th, very late in the season and was the station's highest September maximum since 1906.

Many stations had their lowest annual maximums since the 1960s, this is how depressing the Summer was for warmth. For example, Cork Airport reached a maximum of only 21.5c during the entire Summer which was its lowest Summer maximum since 1962. Maximums of 14-16c were a frequent occurrence throughout the Summer in all months. Minimums were unusually below 10c during much of the time and a huge lack of warm or humid nights. Mullingar had an air minimum of 0.5c on June 10th, its lowest since June 1991 and one of its coldest Summer nights on record.

Despite the well below average temperatures, rainfall was below average for most parts. In fact, it was quite a strange Summer for rainfall. After an unsettled June in almost all parts, July became more settled with not that much heavy rain. August was rather close to average in terms of rainfall.

Whilst June was the most unsettled month of the entire Summer, it was also the sunniest month. It was quite a sunny June across the island with it being comparable to the preceding two Junes in terms of sunshine, 2009 and 2010. So that's one thing that made up for the very cool and unsettled nature! July and August were dull however and in some parts very dull. It was the dullest August for the east since 2008. At the time until Summer 2015 & 2016 came, it was the dullest Summer on record at Knock Airport with only 337 hours (Summer 2015 had only 291 hours and Summer 2016 had only 285 hours). There's been Summer months that have gone past the bench mark of 285 hours! Like these seasonal sunshine totals are ridiculous and miserable.

So why was Summer 2011 so cool? The Arctic had a huge blocking feature over it with a trough over the British Isles underneath it. This meant the NAO and AO were quite negative.



Compare Summer 2011's (awful) reanalysis to April 2011's reanalysis:



Spot the difference?

Sources

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWea...m-2011-Sum.pdf
http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWea...m-2011-jun.pdf
https://www.irishcentral.com/news/co...2763-237406031
sryanbruen is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-12-2017, 12:25   #190
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
Top 5 warmest Christmas Days on record at Phoenix Park:

(Year, Max Temperature)

1. 1920, 13.9c
2. 1900, 13.5c
3. 1974, 13.4c
4. 1928 & 1955, 13.3c
5. 1898, 12.3c

Top 5 coldest Christmas Days on Record at Phoenix Park:
(Year, Max Temperature)

1. 1995, 1.2c
2. 2010, 1.3c (estimated value only)
3. 1950, 1962 & 1964, 1.5c
4. 2004, 2.7c
5. 1961, 3.5c

All data from The European Climate Assessment & Database (ECA&D)

Courtesy of Irish Weather Online
sryanbruen is offline  
Thanks from:
25-12-2017, 12:54   #191
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
7-day running mean rainfall total for 2012 up to the first week or two of December, courtesy of Deep Easterly (I love this poster's graphs!) and Met Éireann.

sryanbruen is offline  
Thanks from:
26-12-2017, 11:39   #192
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
The wettest March day on record is March 6th 1992 when Cloone Lake, Co. Kerry recorded 122.0mm of rainfall.

The wettest overall day on record for Ireland is September 18th 1993 when the same place, Cloone Lake recorded 243.5mm of rainfall.

It's proving difficult and challenging to find the wettest days on record in Ireland for every month of the year.

Information originally sourced from Met Éireann.
sryanbruen is offline  
Thanks from:
26-12-2017, 11:53   #193
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
Courtesy of Deep Easterly, ECMWF Reanalysis (ERA Interim) & Ogimet, this chart is of the IMT mean daily sea level pressure against the 1981-2010 averages for the period January 1st to July 10th 2012 (it's meant to say July 10th in the graph).



Just in case you don't know why I repost statistics that posters like Deep Easterly have posted before on this thread, I post them so that they're all in one place here instead of hidden in long and multiple different threads.
sryanbruen is offline  
Thanks from:
26-12-2017, 12:03   #194
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
IMT Summer 2012 daily mean temperatures up to June 30th in comparison with the same stage of 2011 and the 1981-2010 averages, courtesy of Deep Easterly, NOAA, Ogimet and Met Éireann.

sryanbruen is offline  
Thanks from:
26-12-2017, 12:40   #195
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 10,690
Here's some more photos or charts to add onto the October 24th 2011 post I did, courtesy of posters in this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...430152&page=48





sryanbruen is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet