Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Fine Gael's point of view, would be the perfect time to call an election?

Options
  • 24-05-2015 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Seen now as more progressive, presiding over an historic referendum that went the way they wanted. (granted every party wanted a yes)

Leo Vadakar in the wing to take over, bringing a contingent that would have never voted in anything before the referendum

It seems like a calculated risk that would pay big for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

It will go the distance & they will need every month they can get.

I don't anticipate an autumn/winter GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

FG really are proving themselves to be fine liberal social democrats. Kenny will be remembered as one of the finest leaders this country has seen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It might depend on the position of other parties. For instance if a party leader other than say Adams was leading SF then that would smooth the way for voters who disapprove of the coalition's economy polity. It is this which be a key determinate with the amount of disquiet over the tax policies of FG/lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Fine gael i predict will get 50-55 seats no matter when the election is. Labour 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

They Couldnt take Carlow / Kilkenny, over the weekend. They will not call an election. What they will do, is some serious head scratching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Be smart before people remember the water charges and the cuts and how they were hated by all. Should Ride this equality wave before reality sets in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Adamantium wrote: »
    Leo Vadakar in the wing to take over, bringing a contingent that would have never voted in anything before the referendum

You reckon Varadkar is attracting young voters to Fine Gael?

Let's hope none end up on trollies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Badabing wrote: »
    Fine gael i predict will get 50-55 seats no matter when the election is. Labour 15

I'd be very surprised if the Liars got 15 seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

They will hang on like limpets to the underside of a boat knowing full well their number is up.
    And like limpets we will have to wait for tide to go out and scrape then from the hull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

They'll take advantage of their time left. They'll buy the pensioners vote and public sector vote. They'll make a good play for the rest of PAYE workers with reductions in USC and income tax. I'd imagine they've written off the dopes that follow the likes of Paul Murphy. They might make a play for some of the outlying SF supporters with some strategic social welfare changes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

FG really are proving themselves to be fine liberal social democrats. Kenny will be remembered as one of the finest leaders this country has seen.

Ya.

And babies dying in Portlaoise hospital because of Government inaction!

Has the Fennelly report been published yet, or is Kenny hoping that is forgotten about aswell?

Irishwater

Siteserv

Rehab...the list of scandals involving Fine Gael goes on and on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

They'll take advantage of their time left. They'll buy the pensioners vote and public sector vote. They'll make a good play for the rest of PAYE workers with reductions in USC and income tax. I'd imagine they've written off the dopes that follow the likes of Paul Murphy. They might make a play for some of the outlying SF supporters with some strategic social welfare changes.

That sounds about right, a giveaway budget with the election after.

Irish politicians don't like canvassing in winter so I'd say October or March depending on what scandals we have in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Ya.

And babies dying in Portlaoise hospital because of Government inaction!

Has the Fennelly report been published yet, or is Kenny hoping that is forgotten about aswell?

Irishwater

Siteserv

Rehab...the list of scandals involving Fine Gael goes on and on!

I'm really surprised that the Siteserv controversy doesn't seem to have damaged FG more. And very few people seem to know anything about it! What's going on? Wake up people!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Totofan99 wrote: »
    I'm really surprised that the Siteserv controversy doesn't seem to have damaged FG more. And very few people seem to know anything about it! What's going on? Wake up people!!! :mad:
    Considering the strained relationship between the IBRC and the Dept of finance and the lacking of a tax clearance cert for that company I don't how it got that contract.

Noonan states on the one hand his faith in IBRC was thin yet he thought the deal was best for the state?

Then a subsidiary of the company gets a large water metering contract.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I know little about politics, why do the incumbents get to decide when the election is? Doesn't seem right. A set period in my mind would be make some sense, every x years, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

I know little about politics, why do the incumbents get to decide when the election is? Doesn't seem right. A set period in my mind would be make some sense, every x years, etc.
    It must be no later than April 2016 obviously but we do have rather long terms.

We only elect presidents every seven years.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its every 5 years, but they are free to call it early if they want. As above, it has to be by mid April next year.

They dont have carte blanche to stay as long as they like. Its not a dictatorship :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Considering the strained relationship between the IBRC and the Dept of finance and the lacking of a tax clearance cert for that company I don't how it got that contract.

Noonan states on the one hand his faith in IBRC was thin yet he thought the deal was best for the state?

Then a subsidiary of the company gets a large water metering contract.:confused:

Exactly! The whole thing stinks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Adamantium wrote: »
    Seen now as more progressive, presiding over an historic referendum that went the way they wanted. (granted every party wanted a yes)

It seems like a calculated risk that would pay big for them.

Why would he do any good ? He has been terrible in all his positions so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Why would he do any good ? He has been terrible in all his positions so far.

Vadakar has been OK so far, no doubt you and others will claim he is a bad minister of health but the problems in that area are not his fault

in any case I think Simon Coveney will be the next FG leader

no matter who it is they will be far better than Enda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

That sounds about right, a giveaway budget with the election after.

Irish politicians don't like canvassing in winter so I'd say October or March depending on what scandals we have in between.

So basically just like Sinn Fein promising to abolish property tax and water charges.

Do people not realise how politics works the world over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Worse than Bertie imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Worse than Bertie imo.

wow :eek:

bertie is by far the worst toaiseach ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never knew we had so many Abraham Lincolns and Mahatma Gandhis posting on boards. Pity some of them wouldn't step up to the plate eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I think the result in the SSM referendum was abolsutely fantastic but it hit me yesterday that Fine Gael's attempts at political reform have been downright embarrassing. They screwed up the Seanad vote (and no reform since), the Presidential Age vote was pathetic and they created the biggest quango ever in Irish Water.

I think they will and should be hammered on Political reform and rightly so. "New Politics" me arse.

To answer the OP, I would say October 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

This is nonsense.
    People hardly remember he is even Taoiseach because he avoids the media so much.

He will be remembered as the most coached and yet gaffe prone Taoiseach of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You reckon Varadkar is attracting young voters to Fine Gael?

Let's hope none end up on trollies

Leo's only the minister for everything-bar-health, he has nothing to do with that sort of thing.

FG are sorta like The Stranglers, they attract a weird and dissimilar crowd: The need to pull a two face trick: Socially liberal, fiscally conservative and nicely turned out for their dublin voters. Then back slapping, susbsidy sucking, blueshirts for the culchies.

Dentists and dairy farmers, basically. Hard to find a happy middle ground for leader there

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

nokia69 wrote: »
    wow :eek:

bertie is by far the worst toaiseach ever

Haughey was by far the worst taoiseach, at least Bertie gave us nice things while he was riding us. He just never told us it was all bought on HP

Haughey, gave us nothing and told us we deserved less, then had to gall to to go "Money? What money?" While he was sitting on a ****ing horse on his own private island

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

we will only find out the real truth about Kenny when he is removed from power

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

we will only find out the real truth about Kenny when he is removed from power

The Fennelly report might be a start!

Advertisement