Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being a short man

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I know what eddy was saying alright, I just think he's hearing what he wants to hear though is all.

The OP described his lack of success with the ladies as being due to his height. One poster replied "grow up". Can you imagine a fat girl posting about her weight putting off men receiving the same response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Little people are funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

catallus wrote: »
    Little people are funny.

Brendan O'Carroll is quite short. Are you prepared to revise that opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The OP described his lack of success with the ladies as being due to his height. One poster replied "grow up". Can you imagine a fat girl posting about her weight putting off men receiving the same response?

Grow up wouldn't work in that context....

Also hell yeah I can imagine that.

Height is definitely less of an issue for girls.

At 4'11, I am overrun by guys with an absolute fetish for petite girls. Makes them feel more manly I suppose, being with the literal 'little woman'. I'd still like a few more inches :).

I get called cute a lot, but on one memorable occasion I was called a lesbian dwarf bitch because I didn't fall into the arms of a guy with crotch stains and vomit breath. :)

RayM wrote: »
    Brendan O'Carroll is quite short. Are you prepared to revise that opinion?

The man is a comedic genius.

Mrs. Brown's Boys, anyone?

I actually have a bit of a gra for short lads, that's definitely a minority opinion though.

Yeah but 5'11 1/2 is pretty much 6'; a 5'7 lad against a 6'2 guy stands little chance unless he's good at MMA, boxing, karate etc.

Well why? What build is the six two guy? Is he fast, is he strong and is he co-ordinated? There are too many variables and the outcome isn't dependent on just height. I would be stronger than most guys taller than me.

Grow up wouldn't work in that context....

Also hell yeah I can imagine that.

Again with the double standard. It doesn't work in either context.

• Advertisement

Again with the double standard. It doesn't work in either context.

You know it was a play on words, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The man was standing up for himself. The only perpetuation of the short angry man stereotype is when people label any many who's angry as having a short man complex. Some people made fun of him, he dealt with them and I don't see what his height has to do with anything.

They were making fun of the disparity between his and his girlfriends' height, and the guy "dealt with them" by decking them. That's considerably perpetuating the "angry little man" syndrome.

Yes? There's practically a fat girls thread every week in AH. You probably missed the one last night about "vulnerable" ugly fat girls and the kind of guys that find them attractive? That's not to mention how often threads are started about obesity eventually descend into a discussion of the minute of the female anatomy. In fact, there's a thread over in the AMA forum right now where a female fitness model is answering questions, and one of the very first questions put to her was how many of the women have fake breasts!

(found it rather crass myself, but that's just my standards, can you imagine a male fitness model being asked how small are his balls?)

I've mentioned this on other threads but this is an issue close to my heart as my mate is about 5 foot 5. He pulls really nice birds but he has serious issues about his height. Some girls have told him they wouldn't go out with him because of his height or they would like him if he were taller. He works with me and a girl in the lab keeps making jokes about her height. She wouldn't stop even when asked politely so the only thing that worked was when my friend pointed out her weight problem. She complained to the administration that some guy was making fun of her weight and bullying her. He didn't get in trouble or anything but it just shows the absolute double standard she had.

You know it was a play on words, right?

Yes I do but still unacceptable IMO.

The man was standing up for himself. The only perpetuation of the short angry man stereotype is when people label any many who's angry as having a short man complex. Some people made fun of him, he dealt with them and I don't see what his height has to do with anything.

If someone says something rude to you, it's unpleasant. To react by punching them is criminal.

It's completely disproportionate and I'd never condone violence as a way of dealing with hurt feelings. Of course he's going to look like an angry short man for reacting with his fists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I think that poster was more alluding to the fact that when women tell others they don't find a lad attractive, nobody bats an eyelid, but if a lad says he doesn't like a girl because she's fat, some people lose the head.

Some women actually have minimum height 185cm etc on their profile page. Imagine a guy putting max weight 12 stone or anything like that.

Edit: and the fact one is completely controlable makes it all the more annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Is it not all personals perception as at 5ft10....I'm by a long way the shortest male in my family of all the male cousins etc....and do get mocked over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just tell them you got a big mickey and you'll be fine

They were making fun of the disparity between his and his girlfriends' height, and the guy "dealt with them" by decking them. That's considerably perpetuating the "angry little man" syndrome.

But what's his height have to do with it? He shouldn't defend himself because he's short for fear of being labelled?
    Yes? There's practically a fat girls thread every week in AH. You probably missed the one last night about "vulnerable" ugly fat girls and the kind of guys that find them attractive? That's not to mention how often threads are started about obesity eventually descend into a discussion of the minute of the female anatomy. In fact, there's a thread over in the AMA forum right now where a female fitness model is answering questions, and one of the very first questions put to her was how many of the women have fake breasts!

(found it rather crass myself, but that's just my standards, can you imagine a male fitness model being asked how small are his balls?)

Well that's particularly scummy IMO. I despise all forms of ridicule based on one's physical appearance. I think the height issue needs to be taken seriously though.

Candie wrote: »
    If someone says something rude to you, it's unpleasant. To react by punching them is criminal.

It's completely disproportionate and I'd never condone violence as a way of dealing with hurt feelings. Of course he's going to look like an angry short man for reacting with his fists.

Yes we've established he is short but plenty of people resort to using violence and their height isn't brought into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I'm under 5ft 5, about 5ft 7 in heels as I never wear very high ones.

Therefore a guy who is 5ft 7 or over is grand and tall to me. I don't get this "5ft 8 is small for men" thing.

Definitely a good weeding-out facility though. A woman would have to be a bit vapid IMO to be turned off just by a man not being 5ft 10 minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I've mentioned this on other threads but this is an issue close to my heart as my mate is about 5 foot 5. He pulls really nice birds but he has serious issues about his height. Some girls have told him they wouldn't go out with him because of his height or they would like him if he were taller. He works with me and a girl in the lab keeps making jokes about her height. She wouldn't stop even when asked politely so the only thing that worked was when my friend pointed out her weight problem. She complained to the administration that some guy was making fun of her weight and bullying her. He didn't get in trouble or anything but it just shows the absolute double standard she had.

I presume you mean she made jokes about his height?

Well why didn't he make a complaint to administration then in that case instead of lowering himself to her level? She was perfectly entitled to make a complaint, as was he. There's no double standard there.

Yes we've established he is short but plenty of people resort to using violence and their height isn't brought into it.

I just don't get why you're condoning him punching people by saying he was just defending himself.

You don't get to hurt people physically because you've been slagged. The reason I said he perpetuated the stereotype is because he acted way out of proportion by getting physical, thus confirming the bias held by many.

I presume you mean she made jokes about his height?

Well why didn't he make a complaint to administration then in that case instead of lowering himself to her level? She was perfectly entitled to make a complaint, as was he. There's no double standard there.

Of course there was a double standard. She thought jokes about his physical appearance were acceptable while jokes about hers was not. Even today some people think he was the bad guy in all this and her jokes were harmless fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

i'll clarify it a little, i dont walk up to them and sucker punch them. But if i respond to them, telling them to piss off and they square up to me, or get right up into my face. Thats when I'll use my fists.

At that stage if was to turn around to walk away I'm as likely to get a punch into the back of the head and a kicking on the ground.

I just don't get why you're condoning him punching people by saying he was just defending himself.

You don't get to hurt people physically because you've been slagged.

I'm not condoning it. I'm just saying the fact that he is short is irrelevant. If they were getting violent with him then violence is justified.

Of course there was a double standard. She thought jokes about his physical appearance were acceptable while jokes about hers was not. Even today some people think he was the bad guy in all this and her jokes were harmless fun.

Why did he not report it....instead of escalating the situation???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'm 6'2 (genuinely confirmed by nurse + doc) and I always defend against any kunts who openly mock and try to hurt other guys for being small. It's unbelievable how ignorant some women are about this and the double standard they fuel. I remember seeing a guy on another forum post screenshots of a tinder convo where the girl messaged first with just "what height are you?", he told her 6'0 to which she responded positively but then he followed up by asking her "what weight are you?" and surprise surprise she got offended and started telling him he was a 'shallow' asshole and that it's really rude to ask women their weight. I really cannot get past how dumb someone must be to not catch that obvious double standard.

One can choose to change one's weight but one has absolutely no choice in their height as it is entirely genetic and cannot be helped yet men are just expected to "get over it" when some women treat them like subhumans because of their height but as soon as any man even mentions a woman's weight she is just a poor victim and the man is a scumbag.

I've no problem with anyone having preferences but look at kunts like these, stuff like this seems to have become so popular to say openly as well...

http://i.imgur.com/exLBS.png

Why did he not report it....instead of escalating the situation???

Actually I reported it for him but nothing was done. They thought I was taking the piss. He was wrong not reporting it himself but it was a huge source of embarrassment to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

empacher wrote: »
    i'll clarify it a little, i dont walk up to them and sucker punch them. But if i respond to them, telling them to piss off and they square up to me, or get right up into my face. Thats when I'll use my fists.

And you're right to. Long be the days when differences were nobly settled by dueling or by a clash of fences on the Champ du Mars. Nowadays its all mouth and no trousers.

I'm not condoning it. I'm just saying the fact that he is short is irrelevant. If they were getting violent with him then violence is justified.

You kind of are when you dismiss it as
    The man was standing up for himself
    You can stand up for yourself without assaulting someone, and if you do you can be rightly described as angry, and if you're small then you can be described as short and angry.
    Some people made fun of him, he dealt with them and I don't see what his height has to do with anything

The thread is about short men, and perceptions of them and how they're perpetuated. That's what it has to do with it.

• Advertisement

I'm 6'2 (genuinely confirmed by nurse + doc) and I always defend against any kunts who openly mock and try hurt other guys for being small. It's unbelievable how ignorant some women are about this and the double standard they fuel. I remember seeing a guy on another forum post screenshots of a tinder convo where the girl messaged first with just "what height are you?", he told her 6'0 to which she responded positively but then he followed up by asking her "what weight are you?" and surprise surprise she got offended and started telling him he was a 'shallow' asshole and that it's really rude to ask women their weight. I really cannot get past how dumb someone must be to not catch that obvious double standard.

One can choose to change one's weight but one has absolutely no choice in their height as it is entirely genetic and cannot be helped yet men are just expected to "get over it" when some women treat them like subhumans because of their height but as soon as any man even mentions a woman's weight she is just a poor victim and the man is a scumbag.

I've no problem with anyone having preferences but look at kunts like these, stuff like this seems to have become so popular to say openly as well...

exLBS.png

Bingo. It's willful ignorance that people don't see the double standard. My mate has been torn apart by women because of his height and very few people (Apart from me) come to his defence. It's seen that he should "get over it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I'm 6'2 (genuinely confirmed by nurse + doc) and I always defend against any kunts who openly mock and try hurt other guys for being small. It's unbelievable how ignorant some women are about this and the double standard they fuel. I remember seeing a guy on another forum post screenshots of a tinder convo where the girl messaged first with just "what height are you?", he told her 6'0 to which she responded positively but then he followed up by asking her "what weight are you?" and surprise surprise she got offended and started telling him he was a 'shallow' asshole and that it's really rude to ask women their weight. I really cannot get past how dumb someone must be to not catch that obvious double standard.

http://i.imgur.com/exLBS.png
    It is NOT just women who have a go at short guys for being short. The "small man syndrome" is gleefully harped on about by some men.

I agree though that women who like what they see of a guy on his profile and then suddenly get turned off him due to a number rather than considering the whole package, seem like idiots, and the guys are better off without them.

Those people in the screenshots are vile.

I agree also about the weight double standard thing. This is stuff that puts women in a bad light in the dating website context, but I won't apologise for it either though, as I'm certainly not a proponent of it.

Actually I reported it for him but nothing was done. They thought I was taking the piss. He was wrong not reporting it himself but it was a huge source of embarrassment to him.

So you reported it for someone else and nothing was done on it....she reported another complainet and nothing was done about it either???

You kind of are when you dismiss it as You can stand up for yourself without assaulting someone, and if you do you can be rightly described as angry, and if you're small then you can be described as short and angry.

The thread is about short men, and perceptions of them and how they're perpetuated. That's what it has to do with it.

No you mentioned the angry short man stereotype. I maintain that people who use that phrase are perpetuating the stereotype by bringing a man's height into it.

You see stereotypes are offensive and the person labelled with the stereotype isn't the one at fault just because he/she fits some criteria in the stereotype.

So you reported it for someone else and nothing was done on it....she reported another complainet and nothing was done about it either???

Nothing was done about it no they were both told to just stop by their respective supervisors. What has happened is that some people in the lab have labelled him as cruel for mentioning her weight :rolleyes:

No you mentioned the angry short man stereotype. I maintain that people who use that phrase are perpetuating the stereotype by bringing a man's height into it.

You see stereotypes are offensive and the person labelled with the stereotype isn't the one at fault just because he/she fits some criteria in the stereotype.

The point I was making that his over the top reaction to an insult perpetuated the stereotype. If he had reacted calmly or not at all, he wouldn't. It's quite obvious.

Nothing was done about it no they were both told to just stop by their respective supervisors. What has happened is that some people in the lab have labelled him as cruel for mentioning her weight :rolleyes:

Not entirely a gendered double standard though, really. If some girl had a go at a fat guy over his weight after he'd been calling her a shortarse, it'd be the same upshot

The point I was making that his over the top reaction to an insult perpetuated the stereotype. If he had reacted calmly or not at all, he wouldn't. It's quite obvious.

I know what you're saying but it's the fault lies in people who label people as "short angry man" and not the person themselves.

Not entirely a gendered double standard though, really. If some girl had a go at a fat guy over his weight after he'd been calling her a shortarse, it'd be the same upshot

Oh yes of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

It is NOT just women who have a go at short guys for being short. The "small man syndrome" is gleefully harped on about by some men.

This. I'm 5'7, and happened to be in a year with dozens of 6ft+ lads. I got slagged and jeered about my height for years, and while it bothered me at first, I learned to stop giving a sh*te about being short and just accept it.

Lifting also helped me get through this a lot, as being short means you can look a lot bigger than tall guys without having to put on much muscle.

There are lots of advantages being smaller than others, you just have to find one and use it to your advantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

Short people are more aggressive because the blood circulates quicker.

..and they don't live as long.

Larger means longer in biological terms.

This. I'm 5'7, and happened to be in a year with dozens of 6ft+ lads. I got slagged and jeered about my height for years, and while it bothered me at first, I learned to stop giving a sh*te about being short and just accept it.

Lifting also helped me get through this a lot, as being short means you can look a lot bigger than tall guys without having to put on much muscle.

There are lots of advantages being smaller than others, you just have to find one and use it to your advantage.

Shorter people are generally stronger. I trained in the same gym as Peter Stringer and he lifted heavier than the bulk of the taller guys in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Really sorry you've gone through that, it's totally wrong and disgusting.
    I can't help thinking today, when we are all celebrating everyone's right to equality and happiness that I really hope that bonhomie filters into the way we treat people in general in this country, that we drop the judging, labeling and insensitivity to all classes of people. Hopefully our eyes be more open to all sorts of prejudice and we start saying "feck that" and standing against it more, even stuff like people being nasty about weight or height. How much easier all our lives would be without that crap.
    That would be a fantastic legacy for a great day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Shorter people are generally stronger. I trained in the same gym as Peter Stringer and he lifted heavier than the bulk of the taller guys in there.

The greatest Powerlifter of all time was Ed Coan, who was 5'6. 'Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

yeah but he only has to lift it a liddle bit

also he's an elite athlete

• Advertisement

strong strongmen are big really big
    powerlifting however has advantages for certain lever arrangements common to the shortilly gifted

Franco Columbo was five foot three and could deadlift 900 pounds and was also a boxing champion and bodybuilder.

Is 5'6" even that short for a guy? The last time a thread slagging short guys came up (started by a guy) I looked up the average height of men in Ireland, wiki said 5'10" but it was self reported, I'd call serious shenanigans on that.

Though young lads do seem to be awful tall these days. Darned kids and their boomboxes and their bebos and their height.

Short people are more aggressive because the blood circulates quicker.

..and they don't live as long.

Larger means longer in biological terms.

It is funny when they get angry, their little arms flailing in impotent rage :)

catallus wrote: »
    It is funny when they get angry, their little arms flailing in impotent rage :)

its no good we can't get a rise outa them

• Advertisement
Advertisement