Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you smoke?

Options
  • 03-12-2002 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

how many a day?

Every day I inhale the goodness of this many cigarettes: 57 votes

Only when I'm in the pub, and then only a few
    0% 0 votes
    less than 10 a day
    14% 8 votes
    10 - 20 per day
    26% 15 votes
    20 - 30 per day
    29% 17 votes
    30+ each and every day
    15% 9 votes
    I smoke cigars cos I like to look like a ponce
    1% 1 vote
    None, I'm so clean and nice.
    12% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Why is there no (None) Vote?

Well for all the smokers out there they are going up again (haha) - Sorry but i dont have any compassion for smokers.

They all say it's hard to Quite, I belive them.. But it's not impossible, Both my perents smoked my Dad for over 35 years and he Quite Cold Turkey this year, No patches nothing and my Mam Quite 3 years ago,, She used Patches and Gum,,

But they did it ,

I think the smokes for going to to something like €7.40 for 20 , not sure tho. (Someone told me that price i didnt make it up :):):) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

shoulda put in a 'none' option but forgot because its early in the morning,

7.40 euro a pack is a massive increase, its no more than 5.40 at the moment afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Cigars ! Pince ponce ponce , I love to smoke em.

I don't smoke cigarettes generally anyway, but I do smoke. 7.40 a pack ? Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

As far as I heard they're only going up 50c, so it'll be €6 for a pck of 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Jesus I've heard from some people that they were going up €4 or so. But that was idle pub chat.

Nevertheless, I believe the government are doing a good job in trying to get people off the smokes. They can increase the price steadily until people realise that they are not worth the money. (Appoligies to those that work in tobacco industries but they are right to get all of you out of your job. Not your fault but the fault of those that you work for.)

I, as a smoker, am not going to complain about the price of fags because, in the end, they are killing me. If anyone can get me off them by getting me to quit of my own free volition then fair forks to them. I tryed to give them up once and ended up a shivering wreck after 2 days. If I have to pay €10 per day I'll be a shivering wreck glady to save me the €70 it's going to cost me per week to feed the filthy habit.

Now you might say that I can give up if I'm that much against them but I actually like smoking at the moment. I love the odd ciggarette. But I am not going to spend ludicrious amounts of money to keep it up. I try to smoke as little as possible but I WILL refuse to spend €10 per day to enjoy the odd fag. I hope that this is the attitude of a lot of smokers out there that know that they are too weak to give them up. The higher they go, the happier and the more pissed off I will be. If you get my drift ...

In the end it might add a few years to the oul life span ... In which case I'm happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm hitting 20 a day.

About the price increases I dunno if it's a good idea to keep putting the price up. It will only lead to an enourmous black market for ciggies. If they go up anymore I'll certainly be bulk buying on Henry St.

Also while I'm whinging I think that in a lot of ways it's morally difficult to justify these huge tariffs. It's totally fair enough as a goverment money spinner to put a luxury rate of tax on top of VAT on cigarettes say 40% or so.

But at the moment tax on cigarettes runs at 95% or something stupid like that. Now if as a money spinner you decided to put the same tax regime in place for say bread, you'd have uproar and it would never work.

The only reason why these savage levels of tax are tolerated on cigarettes is that they're savagely bad for you. So I firmly believe that any tax accrued over and above a luxury tax level should go purely to anti-smoking education, advertising, helping people quit, respitory medicine, lung cancer treatments and heart disease treatments. The medical funding obviuosly benefitting everyone.

I honestly don't think that as a smoker who has paid all this ridiculous tax I should have to pay for say a gp consultation about my smoking, or gum or patches or indeed hypnotism or whatever new age hippy crap you kids are into. I feel I've paid for it already.

If our society insists as it seems to that reduction/elimination of smoking is a priority then I don't think it's fair for proceeds from the sale of a highly addictive dangerous drug should go anywhere except ameliorating the effects of that drug.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think people forget where the tax on these are going. It's not going into health promotion and programs to help people quit. It's going into the government pot to subsidise so many other projects.

If all smokers quit tomorrow, the government would lose a huge source of income..so I do speculate about the motives in the price increases sometimes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

A normal week day would be no more than 10 fags. A night out on the piss would definitely be at least a box of 20. As I don't smoke at home and generally suffer Sunday's with a hangover, more often than not, I wouldn't smoke any on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm also a non smoker (well, except in the passive sense)

The funny thing is that if you guaranteed Cha McCreevey that a €2.50 increase per pack would stop 90% of smokers smoking, he'd stop you and ask what is the biggest increase that would leave 90% of smokers smoking.

Like it or not, tobacco taxation contributes massively to the exchequer. Ultimately the countries finances would be better off in 10/20 years time if smoking was wiped out, but right now it would mess up the budget for the government.

And since when did governments think much further than the next electoral year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

40 a day normally.

Clown, i used to say id never pay for smokes if i had to pay the ludicrous price of 3 pounds per pack (when it was suggested the price be doubled!). You might stop (tho i doubt it) but most people wont, they will continue to pay.

The taxation on smokes is an exhequer thing, not a health thing. If they were really worried about people smoking, theyd ban it. In the case of tobacco, i feel a total ban would work. See the previous smoking thread for my ideas on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

i dont smoke,
    and i couldnt be bothered preaching to those who do how bad it is for your health.
    but im gonna laugh heartily if/when a box of 20 is gonna cost ye a princly sum of 10 yoyos.

and i hope they start printing the images of diseased hearts/ lungs/ mouths on the box like they're doing in the EU atm. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Cigars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

about 20 a day, but when I am drinking, forget about it, I tend to go way over board then

and as for printing pictures of diseased lungs, hearts, etc - doesnt bother me at all, I have the internet, I've seen worse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Added a 'none' option there for those of you horrible non-smokers who insist on annoying me from time to time.

Luc

Thanks Lucutus,

personally I might go 3 or 4 days without a smoke, but I'd definitely be wanting one,
    if I have cigs on me then I'd be a little over 10 a day or thereabouts,
    but if I'm on the booze then u could easily be talking near 40 for the whole evening+night

For me I'd say I'd smoke less if the price did go up, I'd still smoke like a train when out in the pub for the night, it'd be more of a treat then I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I don't smoke anymore.

I've reformed. Personally I don't think that smokers paying €10 for smokes will make a huge black market with throngs of rabid nicotine addicts packing Moore's street to get their fix, but it will dissuade younger kids from getting hooked and it will help pay for the massive fees involved in treating smoking related illness.

I have to laugh at the muppets who smoke themselves stupid and blame it on drink, (laugh), you have no one to blame but yourselves. It doesn't make you cool, it makes you stink.

Non smokers don't want to kiss smokers, don't want to be in their company and don't want to know about the stupid habit they have that they don't have sufficient will power or self interest to break with and yes before you flame this troll for that I'd just like to point out that I used to smoke roughly the equilivant of umm twenty to twenty five smokes a day, so I can speak from experience of smoking and of being free of smokes for umm five years.

Listening to reformed smokers makes smokers feel insecure and I'd just like to let you slaves to nicotine know that, you are weak and if you don't act in your own self interest, I have no sympathy for you. I used to be a smoker, so I know it's actually not all that hard to quit 'if you really want to'. Since I have this experience in my favour, I can honestly say that the people who whinge about not being 'able' to give up are just that, whingers. If you have sufficient desire to give up, you will. If you get cancer from smoking "it's your own fault" you have been warned and you smoke by choice. Nicorette works and if it doesn't work for you it's because you don't really want to give up or think that you will be the one of the few that smoking actually won't cause cancer in.

For the non smokers and reformed smokers I say, fair play and more power to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by Lucutus
    Added a 'none' option there for those of you horrible non-smokers who insist on annoying me from time to time.

Luc

awww poor Luc, how do they annoy you then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

If that is the case which I am just after hearing from someone else I will be quitting ill be funked if i will hand over 10 Eur for 20 sticks rolled tobacco.

I try to smoke as little as possible esp in the mornings, I always make sure i have my brekfast eaten and wait a good hour or two before starting a days smoking.

On Average 10 a day, over the weekends 20 (drink).

I tried to give up last year and i was doing very well untill two weeks in to it I was out drinking and decided to go get another pint when suddenly, i had the sensation of a knife ripping open my back :(.

Stress built up in my back due to an injury and the added stress of quitting smoking caused me to have severe Muscle Spasms in my back for a whole week.

I have not tried since but hopefully i wont get a repeat of my last attempt.

Typdef you are right in every word you say, it is plain stupid to smoke.

Has anyone tried giving up with that Alan Carter book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I hardly smoke at all during the week, but make up for it at de weekends, at least 30 a night on a mad one out in town.

Anyone that really really wants to quit, its all in the head. You can do it. Best way of quiting is if a few of yis all quit at the same time...then hey-presto, you start beatin the heads off each other in the pub, lads are snaking off for a mega-puff in the jacks, you go to put yer mates coat in the cloakroom in the niteclub and hey whats this, a scrunched up box of 20 Marlboro Lights with only 4 cancer sticks left!!! Oh yeah I was just minding them for me Ma...

Its all fun and games til someone loses an eye.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Typedef
    I don't smoke anymore.

I've reformed. Personally I don't think that smokers paying €10 for smokes will make a huge black market with throngs of rabid nicotine addicts packing Moore's street to get their fix, but it will dissuade younger kids from getting hooked and it will help pay for the massive fees involved in treating smoking related illness.

I have to laugh at the muppets who smoke themselves stupid and blame it on drink, (laugh), you have no one to blame but yourselves. It doesn't make you cool, it makes you stink.

Non smokers don't want to kiss smokers, don't want to be in their company and don't want to know about the stupid habit they have that they don't have sufficient will power or self interest to break with and yes before you flame this troll for that I'd just like to point out that I used to smoke roughly the equilivant of umm twenty to twenty five smokes a day, so I can speak from experience of smoking and of being free of smokes for umm five years.

Listening to reformed smokers makes smokers feel insecure and I'd just like to let you slaves to nicotine know that, you are weak and if you don't act in your own self interest, I have no sympathy for you. I used to be a smoker, so I know it's actually not all that hard to quit 'if you really want to'. Since I have this experience in my favour, I can honestly say that the people who whinge about not being 'able' to give up are just that, whingers. If you have sufficient desire to give up, you will. If you get cancer from smoking "it's your own fault" you have been warned and you smoke by choice. Nicorette works and if it doesn't work for you it's because you don't really want to give up or think that you will be the one of the few that smoking actually won't cause cancer in.

For the non smokers and reformed smokers I say, fair play and more power to you.

If giving up makes you sound like this, I rather keep taking minutes off my life thank you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The ones at the end are the worst anyway.

10-15 a day, at least twice that on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Typedef

I have to laugh at the muppets who smoke themselves stupid and blame it on drink
    eh, what?
    you have no one to blame but yourselves. It doesn't make you cool, it makes you stink.

Here typedef, get off that horse before you hurt that youthful arrogance of yours. Noone has blamed anyone here and noone is claiming to look cool (Mind you, the lack of a chip on my shoulder the size of yours makes me a lot hipper than you :) ) Were not all 16 you know.
    Non smokers don't want to kiss smokers, don't want to be in their company and don't want to know about the stupid habit they have that they don't have sufficient will power or self interest to break with

Not everyone feels quite so Youth Defense about it as you do. Dont try to speak for people that you couldnt possibly hope to represent save for the fact you share a tiny trait with.
    so I can speak from experience of smoking and of being free of smokes for umm five years.
    So im guessing this was when you were in school/college? Its harder to give up the longer you smoke, not impossible, just harder.
    I'd just like to let you slaves to nicotine know that, you are weak and if you don't act in your own self interest, I have no sympathy for you.
    Ive never tried to give up, Why am i weak exactly?
    Nicorette works and if it doesn't work for you it's because you don't really want to give up

No. Nicorette will ONLY work if you really want to give up, in the same way that using anything as an aide will only stop me smoking if i really want to
    If giving up makes you sound like this, I rather keep taking minutes off my life thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    If giving up makes you sound like this, I rather keep taking minutes off my life thank you :D

Nah typ always sounds like that. The man has opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

As A smoker who gives up from time to time and then back on them it always bugs me that "stop smoking aids" such as gum ,patches etc... can only be sold in chemists and so inflating the price ,where as the cigs can be sold anywhere to anyone over 17.

Macker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I smoke a sufficient number of cigarettes a day to keep me one step ahead of the nervous tension that threatens to make me choke the living sh1t out of some muppet that desperately needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    I smoke a sufficient number of cigarettes a day to keep me one step ahead of the nervous tension that threatens to make me choke the living sh1t out of some muppet that desperately needs it.

Try Yoga or Tai Chi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

After a long time of only smoking while drinking, I seem to have started smoking more during the day. If I don't have any smokes I can go a few days without them. I think what I will try to do now is avoid buying smokes outside of drinking.

stopping smoking is all a matter of willpower, I smoke up to 10 per day, sometimes more, sometimes none for a few days.

I enjoy the cigarettes I do smoke, but I know that I'm not fully addicted as I am pretty sure I could stop smoking if I really gave a bo11ox and was very concerned about the money/health side of it.

But I'm not, I smoke cos its enjoyable and its a nice compliment to a pint (or many pints) and although I sympathise with the hardened smokers, I still think that giving up the dreaded smokes is more a matter of willpower than a matter of what supplements you use or hypnosis you get.

My dad gave up the pipe a long time ago after smoking pipe tobacco for a long long time ( which as far as I believe is less frequent but a stronger, more addictive?, smoke than cigarettes)
    and he went straight to chewing gum (the regular Wrigleys kind) and sucking sweets to take his mind off the habit.

Its possible but difficult just depends on what your motivation is (health or cash) and how strong you really REALLY want to kick the habit.

teh zwei cents de moi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Graemo

I know of this one bird that used to have to go to the phone box every sunday morning across from her house to ring her dear old mother down home in the bog somewhere, as this was a bit of a ritual thoul mother would be expecting a call, hangover or no. One sunday morning fresh from shagging one of her neighbours she arrives home mayby 5 minutes before her usual "ET" with the oul one, realises she has no ciggys and runs into the flat to get that early morning fix nowing her flatmate has ciggys somewhere. So while she's standing having a fag and not phoning her mother she turns to look out the window just in time to see a car loose controll and smash into the phone box completely destroying it and sending bits of it flying up into the trees and into neighbours gardens etc.
    "Smoking can also save your life."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Im clean. Tried one about 8 months ago, cant see what all the fuss is about..waste of money and health imho

Advertisement