Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The amount out now is huge, numbers on buses increasing by the day and people left behind all over the place....

City centre last night was an absolute sh1t show of messy drunks everywhere, I actually couldn't believe what I was seeing it was like 3 in the morning at around 2345.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Aron722

Hi so how does the tax work on the covid-19 payment of 350 a week , when you go back to work how much will you actually have to pay back .

Aron722 wrote: »
    Hi so how does the tax work on the covid-19 payment of 350 a week , when you go back to work how much will you actually have to pay back .

I believe you will be left with around 190 and the rest on tax.... They'll be getting it back most likely in tax credits next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jesus, they've really used this Pandemic to do a job on private transport and road space haven't they? Was in Dublin recently and the North Quays and Dundrum village in particulr stand out. Huge slabs of concrete with nobody or anything on them have eaten up road space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

road_high wrote: »
    Jesus, they've really used this Pandemic to do a job on private transport and road space haven't they? Was in Dublin recently and the North Quays and Dundrum village in particulr stand out. Huge slabs of concrete with nobody or anything on them have eaten up road space.

Not before time, but a lot more needs to be done. Private cars have become a scourge on public space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Prepare to be flogged :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

For those of you in Dublin. I heard on the news that DCC have postponed the trial of the new 2-way cycle lanes for Strand Road in Sandymount until the new year.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Prepare to be flogged :(

Not flogged; just massively outnumbered because most people now recognise that there are too many cars taking up too much public space.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

.anon. wrote: »
    Not flogged; just massively outnumbered because most people now recognise that there are too many cars taking up too much public space.

No problem where there’s viable efficient and extensive alternatives provided...sticking down ridiculous slabs of concrete and plastic road divisions isn’t unfortunately. Just like the non existent metro

No problem where there’s viable efficient and extensive alternatives provided...sticking down ridiculous slabs of concrete and plastic road divisions isn’t unfortunately. Just like the non existent metro

In Dundrum, there are plenty of viable alternatives to single-occupant car journeys. The Luas, the 14, 44, 75, 175, improved cycling infrastructure. The only way to get people out of their cars is to make it the least attractive form of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

In Dundrum, there are plenty of viable alternatives to single-occupant car journeys. The Luas, the 14, 44, 75, 175, improved cycling infrastructure. The only way to get people out of their cars is to make it the least attractive form of transport.

Blocking, restricting and congesting roads that bus routes also need doesn't create a modal shift away from cars, it does the opposite.

People will tolerate slow congested journeys in a car, they won't shift to slow unreliable bus services also stuck in that congestion.

The problem with so many of these schemes, particularly the half-baked ones that have been quickly pushed through to take advantage of covid 19 is that they are not designed with any consideration of their effect on public transport.

The lack of any measures to counteract the effect of increased traffic congestion on bus routes through Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock due to the closing of roads for DLRCC's cycle highway is a prime example of this.

Carrot and stick are needed, for the many who can not/will not use the sainted bicycle all these schemes provide are stick delivered with sanctimonious zeal that does nothing to convert anyone to the cause.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Blocking, restricting and congesting roads that bus routes also need doesn't create a modal shift away from cars, it does the opposite.

People will tolerate slow congested journeys in a car, they won't shift to slow unreliable bus services also stuck in that congestion.

That's why additional measures need to be taken to ensure that buses have absolute priority, with bus lanes leading up to every major junction - people in cars need to be forced to watch buses speeding past, as traffic lights automatically change (for the bus lane only) every time a bus approaches. Also, ban all on-street parking along bus routes because parked cars cause huge delays on certain routes as bus drivers currently have to wait for 'permission' from oncoming traffic before negotiating their way past people's publicly-stored private property. People might think twice about slow congested journeys in their cars when they've nowhere to store it when they eventually get to their destination.
    Vic_08 wrote:
    The lack of any measures to counteract the effect of increased traffic congestion on bus routes through Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock due to the closing of roads for DLRCC's cycle highway is a prime example of this.

Increased traffic congestion on the 46a route into and out of Dun Laoghaire, for example, is caused by too many people choosing to go out for afternoon drives, not by road closures elsewhere. Buses should be able to over/undertake all those cars leading up to Honeypark, Bakers Corner and Deansgrange village. The number of cars on the road at any given time should have a minimal effect on buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Did you see what they did Lenards Corner on Clanbrasil street.

Bollards in the non mandatory cycle lane. Now a bus must take the two lanes . Blocking either the straight ahead or the right turn.

Its getting a bit ridicules what DDC are doing at this stage. Blocking bus routes with road furniture.

Bus now have to navigate pure madness....
    Kerbing fitted out so far all vehicles are on the wrong side thus slowing the bus even further

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Bus now have to navigate pure madness....
    Kerbing fitted out so far all vehicles are on the wrong side thus slowing the bus even further

Not properly thought through

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

GT89 wrote: »

I think that is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

That's why additional measures need to be taken to ensure that buses have absolute priority, with bus lanes leading up to every major junction - people in cars need to be forced to watch buses speeding past, as traffic lights automatically change (for the bus lane only) every time a bus approaches. Also, ban all on-street parking along bus routes because parked cars cause huge delays on certain routes as bus drivers currently have to wait for 'permission' from oncoming traffic before negotiating their way past people's publicly-stored private property. People might think twice about slow congested journeys in their cars when they've nowhere to store it when they eventually get to their destination.

Well that's transport in fantasyland sorted, meanwhile in Dublin the rabid pro-cycle lobby are getting measures pushed through that include none of the above, just road space that both cars and buses use being removed and restricted.
    Increased traffic congestion on the 46a route into and out of Dun Laoghaire, for example, is caused by too many people choosing to go out for afternoon drives, not by road closures elsewhere. Buses should be able to over/undertake all those cars leading up to Honeypark, Bakers Corner and Deansgrange village. The number of cars on the road at any given time should have a minimal effect on buses.

What you believe should happen and what is happening are two very different things. All the bus routes through DunLaoghaire are being delayed by the additional traffic that has been removed from the coast road.

Wagging your finger and belittling the selfish motorists will not get them to use alternative modes. Cars delayed in traffic are slow journeys that people blame on traffic. Chronically delayed, cancelled and unreliable buses caused by congestion are blamed on the bus operators and people stop using them or use that as justification for sticking to their cars.

Lots of things SHOULD be done to improve public transport, instead we are seeing more and more cycle priority measures that are making bus travel in Dublin worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

GT89 wrote: »

Au contraire, i imagine the plan is to make traffic so bad in city center that the solution will be to bring in a congestion charge.

What you believe should happen and what is happening are two very different things. All the bus routes through DunLaoghaire are being delayed by the additional traffic that has been removed from the coast road.

Wagging your finger and belittling the selfish motorists will not get them to use alternative modes. Cars delayed in traffic are slow journeys that people blame on traffic. Chronically delayed, cancelled and unreliable buses caused by congestion are blamed on the bus operators and people stop using them or use that as justification for sticking to their cars.

Lots of things SHOULD be done to improve public transport, instead we are seeing more and more cycle priority measures that are making bus travel in Dublin worse.

Most of the traffic around DL was there before any cycle lanes were put in. The one way system in DL has absolutely nothing to do with high volumes of traffic at Baker's Corner or Deansgrange village which was a problem there before covid or cycle lanes in Monkstown or DL.

God help us all if or when life goes back to normal....

I want out of the driving, it's getting beyond ridiculous and dangerous too.

I don't want to be the one where someone is flattened.

• Advertisement

All the bus routes through DunLaoghaire are being delayed by the additional traffic that has been removed from the coast road.

That's not even slightly true of the 46A route (or the 75 or the 63). The three junctions I referred to (Honeypark, Bakers Corner and Deansgrange Village) are not affected by the removal of traffic from the coast road. Traffic there is heavier than normal because there are more people out driving - and at different times of day than would previously have been the case.

The same is also true of Bray, where there have been no road changes since Covid19... buses are being delayed by up to an hour on the Main St because there are too many cars between midday and 4pm, seven days a week.
    Vic_08 wrote:

Years ago, I stopped driving to work because the same 'Xpresso' Dublin Bus overtook me at the same place on the Stillorgan Rd every morning. This was back in the early 2000s, when the traffic lights at certain junctions would turn green for the bus lane a few seconds sooner, thus giving them a head start over other traffic. I've no interest in finger-wagging or belittling anyone - it just needs to be (a) possible to get from a-b quicker by bus, and (b) blatantly obvious to motorists that this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Would anyone have a source for passenger loadings on DART services? I'm trying to find out how crowded (or un-crowded) the DART services are now that schools are back. Any figures I'm finding are quarterly or annual but I'm hoping to find something a bit more fine tuned.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

OldGoat wrote: »
    Would anyone have a source for passenger loadings on DART services? I'm trying to find out how crowded (or un-crowded) the DART services are now that schools are back. Any figures I'm finding are quarterly or annual but I'm hoping to find something a bit more fine tuned.

sorry i cant help for proper numbers but anecdotally as someone who takes the dart 3 mornings a week at 8.15am and back home at 5.45 pm from dalkey to ballsbridge and back

id say its maybe at 10-15% of normal capacity at those times, maybe less

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Has anyone noticed a tendency for students / teenagers to congregate at the back of buses upstairs and then take their mask off when they get there in the knowledge that the driver cannot see them or do anything about it? I've also noticed adults very reluctant to go upstairs on such services, understandably why.

I have been in the UK a lot recently for work and family caring commitments and it's commonplace there in towns and mass crowding at bus stops without any social distancing, but I wondered if what I saw in Dublin this week is just anecdotal or it's common as well?

devnull wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed a tendency for students / teenagers to congregate at the back of buses upstairs and then take their mask off when they get there in the knowledge that the driver cannot see them or do anything about it? I've also noticed adults very reluctant to go upstairs on such services, understandably why.

I have been in the UK a lot recently for work and family caring commitments and it's commonplace there in towns and mass crowding at bus stops without any social distancing, but I wondered if what I saw in Dublin this week is just anecdotal or it's common as well?

Pretty normal across the board....

Many get on with under the chin, not at all or as you say take it off.... Seeing many doing so to then talk on their phone, eat, drink or just don't want to wear it.

There is no checks or enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

devnull wrote: »

The back seats on the upper saloon are quite visible on the driver's monitor.
    It's more a case of driver's couldn't be arsed to make a simple announcement for masks to be put back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Tickityboo wrote: »
    It's more a case of driver's couldn't be arsed to make a simple announcement for masks to be put back on.

For all the good it would do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It's not always right down the very back, but the back half of the bus normally. Even when drivers have made an announcement the rare time in my experience kids are not listening.

Do u make an announcement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Why would he/she in fairness. I gave up weeks ago.. All it brings is stress trying to take on the fight, while the rest of the passengers just sit there and watch you get roasted... Then post it on social media.
    I nearly got into a serous fight over it not so long ago. And numerous arguments with inner city tracksuit scobbys..
    "Look after yourself and dont get involved" Is my new mantra

If the company , NTA and government want it enforced, they can pay someone to do it.

Advertisement