Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Where are people getting their flour and yeast these days? I'd prefer to order from an Irish based company if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Bassfish wrote: »
    Where are people getting their flour and yeast these days? I'd prefer to order from an Irish based company if possible.

Pallas click and collect for a huge 25kg bag of 00 ( you need a euro30 min order)
    Ive gotten dry yeast in lidl and tesco several times recently. its hit and miss.
    Most polish shops seem to keep a decent stock of fresh yeast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Bassfish wrote: »

Pallas for both. They do blocks of fresh yeast (500g, I think). We have it portioned and in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Do people notice much of a taste difference from using fresh yeast over dried?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Do people notice much of a taste difference from using fresh yeast over dried?

No. Its such a small percentage of the overall mix, you could probably throw in the same amount of chilli powder and hardly even notice it! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭hargo

krissovo wrote: »
    Folks, we love our pizza oven but I am finding it a pain that I need to prep dough long in advance of a pizza making session with the koda. Has anyone got any tips for a spur of the moment pizza session?

Maybe frozen dough, I see pallas does the dough balls or shop bought bases that can be stored?

Why not just make up a quantity of dough ie 1kg of 00 630 water 20 salt 3 f yeast gives 6 275gr balls perfect for 12 inch pizza. Leave in the fridge for up to 4 days and make a dough ball or two whenever you want. The dough ball from the dough in the fridge left for an hour in the kitchen will be perfect for stretching.
    How simple is that and if you don't use the dough freeze it then.. What the hell you've invested a euro in flour.

Why bother buying a great pizza oven and not master great dough and have it on hand. Great pizza is first and foremost great dough.

With regard to buying sourdough from Aldi I personally have never had a good sourdough pizza and I very much doubt I am going to be converted by Aldi despite the fact that they have some fantastic products

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

hargo wrote: »

Why bother buying a great pizza oven and not master great dough and have it on hand. Great pizza is first and foremost great dough.

Thanks for the tip, I should have no excuses now as I will be working from home for the year but there will be times when as a busy family we get caught short and the already huge fridge we have is beyond capacity.

The kids were desperate for some pizza earlier so the wife did try the Aldi bases. The feedback from them was that it was nowhere near as special as home made it was still better than Apache straight out the oven. They used the term even the bad pizza is good pizza and it was devoured, no evidence left to inspect when I finished work.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

just saw type 00 in lidl for 60 cent.
    italian brand but only 9.5g protein / 100g compared to 12 g/100 wit caputo.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

carq wrote: »

There are so many variables when it comes to the whole pizza making thing - that's what makes it fun, and a real journey of continuous improvement. As you've alluded to, the protein content in the flour seems to be one of those key variables. A low protein percentage leads to dough that is more difficult to stretch, and bounces back. One tactic to counter that is to use half lower protein 00 flour and half higher protein flour to bring your average up.

• Advertisement

RonnieL wrote: »
    There are so many variables when it comes to the whole pizza making thing - that's what makes it fun, and a real journey of continuous improvement. As you've alluded to, the protein content in the flour seems to be one of those key variables. A low protein percentage leads to dough that is more difficult to stretch, and bounces back. One tactic to counter that is to use half lower protein 00 flour and half higher protein flour to bring your average up.

Ive been adding wheat gluten (Holland and Barret) to make the dough super strechy. 30g of the flour replaced with this.

Its fantastic to be able to properly spin dough like you see on TV!!

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/holland-barrett-vital-wheat-gluten-60007422?skuid=007422

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Stumbled on this thread and it has made me both hungry and frustrated. Mostly hungry. Are these Ferrari ovens in stock anywhere in Europe that you lovely people know about?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Searching on Amazon Italy for Ferrari pizza gives several lookalikes, but no actual Ferraris in stock. Do you need a Ferrari, or will a Fiat do?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The 00 is only a rating of how fine it is, now it usually is higher than average protein but no guarantee.
    RonnieL wrote: »
    One tactic to counter that is to use half lower protein 00 flour and half higher protein flour to bring your average up.
    I spotted that tesco have an extra strong flour and worked out the mix ratio. The flour no longer shows online for sale.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=289597812

I wonder if you blitz regular strong flour in the likes of a ninja blender does it make it any finer.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Ive been adding wheat gluten (Holland and Barret) to make the dough super strechy. 30g of the flour replaced with this.

Its fantastic to be able to properly spin dough like you see on TV!!

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/holland-barrett-vital-wheat-gluten-60007422?skuid=007422

30g per 500g flour mix or 1kg ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I bought some semolina flour this morning and im going to try it when i make some dough later,does it make much of a differance to the dough?

ive used very fine "type 450" which is suitable for cakes and stuff ( 10/100g protein, found in polish shops) mixed with some wheat gluten to make it stronger and you get a really fluffy pizza base.

30g per 500g flour mix or 1kg ?

500, so 470 flour, 30 Wheat Gluten.

The guy who I got the recipe off on youtube uses 600g strong flour to 30g gluten but hes using very strong flour to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baFZC7Gpdgw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

tangy wrote: »
    Searching on Amazon Italy for Ferrari pizza gives several lookalikes, but no actual Ferraris in stock. Do you need a Ferrari, or will a Fiat do?

Whatever this learned group of tossers recommends is good with me! :-)

From what I could see, the clamshell ones do a great job so not that bothered on the brand. Thanks!

I bought some semolina flour this morning and im going to try it when i make some dough later,does it make much of a differance to the dough?

I believe it takes the moisture out of the dough. It can give the baked pizza dough a grainy texture. You also use it to stop the rolled out pizza base sticking to your pizza peel when you put it in the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cabo

The karu came back in stock briefly on lakelands this morning so on impulse ordered it. So now have to look for the various accessories. I’ll have a look for an IR thermometer on aliexpress and amazon. Would anyone have a recommendation? On the pizza peel I was thinking of just getting the ooni classic pizza peel or would anyone have a better recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Comerman

cabo wrote: »
    The karu came back in stock briefly on lakelands this morning so on impulse ordered it. So now have to look for the various accessories. I’ll have a look for an IR thermometer on aliexpress and amazon. Would anyone have a recommendation? On the pizza peel I was thinking of just getting the ooni classic pizza peel or would anyone have a better recommendation.
    https://www.dx.com/p/temperature-instrument-noncontact-infrared-forehead-ir-thermometer-2726074.html#.XtktpNbTVIk

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Comerman wrote: »
    This only seems to go to 60C

Its for body temp, so the electronics use a shorter range so they can be more accurate, even a good brand like fluke with a wide range is poor for doing body temp or getting exact temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Comerman

rubadub wrote: »
    This only seems to go to 60C

Its for body temp, so the electronics use a shorter range so they can be more accurate, even a good brand like fluke with a wide range is poor for doing body temp or getting exact temps.
    Apologies. The one I have is a bentech Digital Non Contact Food Thermometer but they don't seem to be available on amazon anymore.

IR01D on aliexpress

IR01D on aliexpress

How long does it take to get here though?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Someone mentioned pizza mozzarella from Tesco the other day. I saw some in McCambridge’s in Galway and gave it a try. My advice is don’t bother. It bubbles into a hard crusty shell in the oven. You can get normal dried mozzarella in Dunnes and it’s better.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Pizza on parchment paper=no more sticky accidents. works a treat so long as you trim paper after putting dough on it. after about 30 -60 seconds in oven you can pull in from beneath dough and continue cooking if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Someone mentioned pizza mozzarella from Tesco the other day. I saw some in McCambridge’s in Galway and gave it a try. My advice is don’t bother. It bubbles into a hard crusty shell in the oven. You can get normal dried mozzarella in Dunnes and it’s better.

I used it earlier for the first time. Its wayy too processed and stringy, reminds me of chipper pizza. Back to fresh buffalo mozzarella for me but I need to dry it out first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I used it earlier for the first time. Its wayy too processed and stringy, reminds me of chipper pizza. Back to fresh buffalo mozzarella for me but I need to dry it out first

Nice crust on that one. Is it from an Ooni?

Advertisement