Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Wall - Along Road

Options
  • 02-06-2020 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm getting some work done out side and am going to get the boundary wall along the road done.

I'm getting mixed vibes from different block layers I talked to. The will be approx. 100m long with wing walls into the drive way.

Anybody have any views on the items below?
    • Pillar every 3 meters?
    • Block on flat as opposed to edge? (Wall is alongside a narrow, rural roadway)
    • Expansion joint needed? If so, how often?
    • Curved Vs Angular wing walls?
    • Size of gateway pillars
    • Hedging behind wall?
    • Render or plaster?
    • I see some walls with expanding metal poking out between some rows. Is this for stone facing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Planning permission?

Can't imagine you would be allowed build a 100m long blockwork wall along a narrow, rural roadway and I'd strongly advise you don't ignore planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Dudda wrote: »
    Planning permission?

Can't imagine you would be allowed build a 100m long blockwork wall along a narrow, rural roadway and I'd strongly advise you don't ignore planning.

I am working on that as a separate track. I have reached out to the council planning dept to clarify if planning is required and what are the recommended finishes, materials, etc. I'm still awaiting a response but will close it out before I kick off anything.

I know there is a lot of sensitivity over 'ditches' but basically, there is an old dry stone wall there at the moment that has become very overgrown and is missing in parts. Behind/on top of the wall there is mostly briers, nettles, etc and an old post and wire fence.

All other houses around have large stone walls with hedging. Our existing wing walls and pillars are stone faced. I would consider a stone wall, but the cost is prohibitive, so I was thinking that a low rendered wall with hedging and trees behind would be a cleaner finish.

On a related note - has anyone managed to meet with a council planning official since lock down began?

Dragging this up again.

So I have decided to ditch the block wall idea and am now planning to put in a fence to replace the old hedgerow.

I've asked my landscaper (currently doing up our garden) to price me for the work. He has flagged up something about potentially having to move in 3m off the center of the road to run the new fence. He believes this is a thing, but is not sure if it is relevant to house boundaries or only agricultural. I cannot find reference to it anywhere. I'm not concerned about the moving of 3m/loss of land - it is more the cost and hassle of having to backfill/tar the gap between the road/fence.

From my understanding of the planning law - a new fence would be classed as exempted development.

Does anyone know anything about this 3m rule? For reference, the road is a rural road <4m wide with no line markings, etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Your altering your boundary bordering the road ?
    You may need planning. Typically council will require A certain setback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The old rule on minor roads wa 4metres/14ft ftom centre of road.
    Personally i would make the ouside wall straight/flat and have the piller showing only on the inside.
    If you can access stone cheap you should go this route as it looks great, there are loads of fas guys who can build, stone is very easy to build but slow.
    This may be an option.
    I seen a guy who bought 6 metre galvanized 4x2 built 18in piller appropiate distance and slotted in between, it looks like painted wood and looks great.
    I would also do it now before you get reply...

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    Your altering your boundary bordering the road ?
    You may need planning. Typically council will require A certain setback.

Thanks, but is it not classed as exempted development? From what I’ve read of the planning act, etc it appears to be. I’m not talking about the driveway entrance- just the boundary.

The old rule on minor roads wa 4metres/14ft ftom centre of road.
    Personally i would make the ouside wall straight/flat and have the piller showing only on the inside.
    If you can access stone cheap you should go this route as it looks great, there are loads of fas guys who can build, stone is very easy to build but slow.
    This may be an option.
    I seen a guy who bought 6 metre galvanized 4x2 built 18in piller appropiate distance and slotted in between, it looks like painted wood and looks great.
    I would also do it now before you get reply...

That’s sounds pretty cool. Would it not work out pretty expensive though? Did he stack the lengths of steel or was it just one running from pillar to pillar?

I have loads of stone - hadn’t thought about the Fas route actually.

tedimc wrote: »
    Thanks, but is it not classed as exempted development? From what I’ve read of the planning act, etc it appears to be. I’m not talking about the driveway entrance- just the boundary.

not clear if you can change the boundary type/height, without planning. I’ve had to apply in similar situation.

not clear if you can change the boundary type/height, without planning. I’ve had to apply in similar situation.

Is it a matter of applying and see what the response is or can you get a concrete answer from someone?

I’ll try contacting the planner again, but as my landscaper said - if you ask you will probably be told to apply anyway even if not necessarily required to.

My main concern is not the planning, it’s the possibility of been told by the CoCo to tar/fill the extra 1-2m of Road width.

Is it a matter of applying and see what the response is or can you get a concrete answer from someone?

I’ll try contacting the planner again, but as my landscaper said - if you ask you will probably be told to apply anyway even if not necessarily required to.

My main concern is not the planning, it’s the possibility of been told by the CoCo to tar/fill the extra 1-2m of Road width.

You won’t be tar/filling anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

If it was on a minor road i personally would not apply but you will have to pave with stone, if the council want to tar they will.
    If i had the stone i would go with it, 6in block inside and front faced with stone, this type of stone is not hard to build as loads of guys who do never trained properly they just learned through working on these community schemes, also the councils like stone. If you can get one of these guy as they work week on/off they may sort you out.
    The steel went directly from piller to pillar and was plastered into pillar, i have no idea of the cost but this guy that did is pretty thrifty.
    The expanding metal you see means that it be faced with stone at a later time and this is to tie the walls together...

You won’t be tar/filling anything.

I know not me personally - but having to pay for it is the concern!! :D

Joking aside - if we did move back the extra 1 - 2 meters and then ran in the fence, surely we could hardly just leave it clay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Youre going to need planning permission :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If you put in the new fence and leave the existing as is...?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

If you put in the new fence and leave the existing as is...?

I could do that, but I’m looking to improve the look of the site. The reason I want rid of the existing is that it is a mess of briars, weeds, old sheep wire fence and I think there is a bit of a stone wall in there too. Some sections are 6ft high in the height of summer and in places it’s only 2 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I could do that, but I’m looking to improve the look of the site. The reason I want rid of the existing is that it is a mess of briars, weeds, old sheep wire fence and I think there is a bit of a stone wall in there too. Some sections are 6ft high in the height of summer and in places it’s only 2 foot.

I get that but a few repeated doses of roundup or similar will sort that out and the fence will give you security without incurring the wrath of the coco who are very short of cash now due to rates refunds etc .....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I get that but a few repeated doses of roundup or similar will sort that out and the fence will give you security without incurring the wrath of the coco who are very short of cash now due to rates refunds etc .....

Yeah, I suppose that could work. Over time - it might erode away itself anyway with the odd nudge from a lorry or tractor :-)

Advertisement