Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproof Window from Seagulls

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Kondo69

Does anyone have the name of a company who could do this for me? It's getting worse now their eggs have hatched. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Who2 wrote: »
    Regardless of whats being said, i can assure you the majority of triple glazed windows correctly installed will be as close to sound proof as you will get. You are not going to block out all sounds 100% but will definately block the sound of seagulls to what should be an acceptable level.
    I'm not guessing or surmising, its the area i work within.

What would be the construction of the IGU's in the "majority of triple glazed windows" that you are referring to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Since it's just one window and it's making your life hell, I would look for an acoustic product with different pane thicknesses and a laminated element.

A quick Google brings up this, for example:

https://www.bereco.co.uk/news/bereco-launch-45db-acoustic-sash-window/

I'm not recommending it, but it has the sort of features I would be looking for.

However, since you're looking to block out specific frequencies it may be that you can get the unit specified to deal with these.

I use an Android app called BirdUp to recognise bird calls in my garden. It will show you the frequency range of a particular call. You may be able to provide this information to an acoustic engineer to help specify the pane thicknesses that will resist transmission at those frequencies.

I would also consider incorporating another layer to the wall. Even double plasterboard might have a significant effect.

Is there a vent in the wall? I assume there should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I have triple glaze sash windows and they're shyte! I live on a noisy road and bought high end windows, but they made no difference to the sound.

I went back to the company and they said to me that triple glazing is not suitable for noisy environments, its super at thermal, but the glass is thinner and of 3 equal widths as a result its only slightly better than single glazing at noise.

You can buy acoustic double glazing from several manufacturers, I wish I had known at the time, it has two panes of glass at different thickness and a coated in a laminate which all block noise at different wave lengths. e.g. Truck noise is low frequency, seagulls squawking are high frequency i'd imagine.

Also sash will never perform as well as casement windows.

We put in shutters and they made a difference, I added draught seal to them to get an airtight close.

Also consider how much noise is coming through the roof, a couple rolls of acoustic insulation in the attic might be a cheap way to improve the situation.

Block air vents if possible, if not you can buy acoustic ones, or google air vent noise maze, very easy diy job to reduce noise.

I don't think you'll ever get to silence, but you can certainly turn the volume down so low you don't notice them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Kondo69

I've been offered this for €300, what do you think? I've no knowledge of this stuff so really appreciating the help

"6mm toughened glass one side 6.4mm laminated the other. It will be the best for noise reduction"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I have triple glaze sash windows and they're shyte! I live on a noisy road and bought high end windows, but they made no difference to the sound.

I went back to the company and they said to me that triple glazing is not suitable for noisy environments, its super at thermal, but the glass is thinner and of 3 equal widths as a result its only slightly better than single glazing at noise.

You can buy acoustic double glazing from several manufacturers, I wish I had known at the time, it has two panes of glass at different thickness and a coated in a laminate which all block noise at different wave lengths. e.g. Truck noise is low frequency, seagulls squawking are high frequency i'd imagine.

Also sash will never perform as well as casement windows.
    This is triple glaze as a retrofit? Did the installers use airtightness tape to fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Kondo69 wrote: »

"6mm toughened glass one side 6.4mm laminated the other. It will be the best for noise reduction"

The size (thickness) of the glazing unit that can fit into your existing frame is important. The wider the cavity the better - see the attached comparison.
    As pointed out above it's likely that the higher frequency attenuation is what you need >2000 Hz
    Acoustic 6.5mm laminate (a stock glass) over standard 6.4 laminate will give a significant improvement if you can accommodate a widish cavity

This is triple glaze as a retrofit? Did the installers use airtightness tape to fit it?

It was a full house renovation, new windows from Munster joinery and I saw the builder put the air tight tape on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It was a full house renovation, new windows from Munster joinery and I saw the builder put the air tight tape on it.
    It's quite unusual to see Munster described as high end.

Lumen wrote: »

You got me on that! I felt i was sold high end as its their most expensive windows. But you're right they're far from high end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Lumen wrote: »

I think there is too much emphasis on the windows. I am just a DIYer but i think you have to look at the whole wall. One thing I learned recently is that when a block wall is built, cement drips out and build up on the wall ties which reduces sound proofing. A skilled craftsman could quite cheaply open up a reveal, check the wall ties, check the airtightness of the entire reveal and then supervise the installation of a new high end window. It would be a same to spend big money on a new window and have it compromised by cheap mistakes in the wall itself. Munster joinery are not going to be checking these details for you.

I think there is too much emphasis on the windows. I am just a DIYer but i think you have to look at the whole wall. One thing I learned recently is that when a block wall is built, cement drips out and build up on the wall ties which reduces sound proofing. A skilled craftsman could quite cheaply open up a reveal, check the wall ties, check the airtightness of the entire reveal and then supervise the installation of a new high end window. It would be a same to spend big money on a new window and have it compromised by cheap mistakes in the wall itself. Munster joinery are not going to be checking these details for you.

In my case I spoke to Munster joinery after I moved in about the noise, and was told they do not recommend my glazing on a busy road and that I should have picked their acoustic glazing. That was the first time I learned of such a thing, sales person never mentioned it to me. I asked could I get the glazing retro fitted, they said it would be the same price as new windows, PFO.

Advertisement